Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also I am positive that right now the people who admitted to sending him nudes are getting deluged with angry dudebros calling them whores, so. Not great, albeit not something Nick is in control of or involved with.

EDIT: Wait, he actually went 'never talk about this to anyone'? Ugh, major douchechills. That's not really something someone says when they're just trying to flirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Edit: and no, it loving doesn't require vocal rejection to constitute harrassment, you dingus.

Okay, well so far as I recall from EU employment law lectures, it does here (not necessarily vocal, but I never specified that).

So to return to the original question, what definition are you using?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hey, maybe nick should have just used tinder or something (doesn't he have a long-term girlfriend who works at Crunchyroll?) instead of leveraging his position to harass fans? He was definitely aware of what he was doing, come on guys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PetraCore posted:

Also I am positive that right now the people who admitted to sending him nudes are getting deluged with angry dudebros calling them whores, so. Not great, albeit not something Nick is in control of or involved with.

EDIT: Wait, he actually went 'never talk about this to anyone'? Ugh, major douchechills. That's not really something someone says when they're just trying to flirt.

no man all my flirting involves telling the person I'm flirting with they better never talk about it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just as a reminder the original accusation involved "women in games" not fans on the boundary, the devs who have been harassed by Nick haven't talked about what he's done because of the repercussions of doing that

The more explosive the content the less likely it would be shared publicly because of the proportional response it would get from gamergate

The majority of what happened is likely only going to be seen by chris grant

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bryter posted:

Okay, well so far as I recall from EU employment law lectures, it does here (not necessarily vocal, but I never specified that).

I mean, we could just use the definition of it.

quote:

harassment (typically of a woman) in a workplace, or other professional or social situation, involving the making of unwanted sexual advances or obscene remarks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

love too aggressively and sexually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flirting with my professional colleagues and those who look up to me

Grapplejack posted:

Why wouldn't he just try to gently caress people on tindr or bumble or whatever the hot gently caress app is this week

nick hormy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

atomicthumbs posted:

love too aggressively and sexually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flirting with my professional colleagues and those who look up to me

hey baby wanna suck my dick also never tell anyone I asked you this I'm a normal person

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Bryter posted:

why are you so invested in defending this creepo

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Bryter posted:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32006L0054&from=EN

‘sexual harassment’: where any form of unwanted verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature occurs, with the purpose or effect of violating the dignity of a person, in particular when creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment;

gently caress off ya dingus

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How many of you would buy "I'm With Nick" shirts if I put them on Red Bubble?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
in the EU we actually call it The Portuguese Hello and until a woman actually says 'hey get your finger out of there' it's legal

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mormonpartyboat posted:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32006L0054&from=EN

‘sexual harassment’: where any form of unwanted verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature occurs, with the purpose or effect of violating the dignity of a person, in particular when creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment;

"well I, for one, would be flattered if someone wanted to see me nude. Furthermore,"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah you definitely don't have to tell your coworker, "this is bad, stop this," for it to be harassment. Part of the reason harassment is a huge problem is the fact that often the harasser has employment leverage over their target that makes it hard or impossible for the target to tell them to gently caress off without fear of hurting their career.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like the archetypal harassment situation is your boss doing unwanted touches/cheek kisses/telling you how hot you are/engaging you in sexual conversations and you can't tell him to stuff his creeper rear end because you know if you do he might pass you over for a promotion or just straight out fire you.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

sexpig by night posted:

in the EU we actually call it The Portuguese Hello and until a woman actually says 'hey get your finger out of there' it's legal

I thought you were just making a jape but http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Portuguese%20handshake :laffo:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea in the EU whoever does that to Angela Merkel first is the new head of the union, that's why Trump was so eager to go the G20

it's a very enlightened place where our puritan standards for 'sexual harassment' are rightly alien.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

People defend this kind of behavior because they think of themselves as a nice/soft/good boy and would do something like this so it doesn't square with their idea of what a cartoon rape villain looks like.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Stuff like the "Send Nudes" joke image are the kind of thing you only share with someone if you have the kind of rapport where you know they'll enjoy the joke. But sending it in that flirty "do I mean it or don't I?" way with someone who's not necessarily on board and who you're supposed to be professional with? That's when it becomes bad.

Flirting with someone you have a real mutual connection with (and who is RECEPTIVE to it) is fine. Using your professional clout to form a whole network of women to flirt with and sexually solicit, all of whom feel pressured to maintain a good relationship with the outlet you represent? That's when it becomes bad.

I know sometimes context is difficult, but certain actions can be okay or bad depending on when and how you do them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the send nudes image wasn't a colleague or person in the industry, but a fan. I don't want to say one is worse than the other, but trying to take advantage of fans seems particularly low.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea like me and my friends make 'send nudes' jokes a bunch but that's because we all know none of us actually expect nudes. That's the joke, you tell someone 'send nudes' after they ask for a ride to work and then you, you know, you go pick them up because you're not actually a weirdo expecting dick.

If you send that to a stranger, and even worse a stranger you have some degree of clout with, it goes from 'haha yea ok' to 'wait does he actually want that'. Then, ya know, the countless texts before and after it ALSO saying "YO I WANT THAT rear end" probably help paint a picture too. It's entirely different than loving around with your friends.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Bryter posted:

Remind me, did I say that it was "on the up and up" or did I say it doesn't sound like sexual harassment?

Was joking a bit, but good lord, this is so very much harrassment. Any guy in his mid 20s should know better than trying to wear down someone a lot younger than him into sex. The fact that he told her to keep it secret shows he knew it was lovely and would gently caress up his life if it got out.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think basically everyone here knows that what Nick has been doing is bad, and are mostly just discussing whether he is a redeemable person or Video Games Bill Cosby

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Someone in the coolgamesinc reddit pointed out that Nick is simply losing a game of Social Permadeath.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think basically everyone here knows that what Nick has been doing is bad, and are mostly just discussing whether he is a redeemable person or Video Games Bill Cosby

but is literally anyone calling him Video Games Bill Cosby? Like, even one of the women who first brought this up said she doesn't expect him to be fired or whatever. There seems to be people going 'man that sucks, gently caress that poo poo' and 'this kinda makes me uncomfortable with him knowing he acts like this apparently' and then people going "WELL NOW HOLD UP STOP SAYING HE'S BASICALLY THE POLANSKI OF POLYGON, A POLYGONASNKI IF YOU WILL"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Propaganda Hour posted:

Someone in the coolgamesinc reddit pointed out that Nick is simply losing a game of Social Permadeath.

he shoulda cooked for cube

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't want the dude drawn and quartered but if he's been using his position to sexually harass people then he really should not have that position anymore

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

sexpig by night posted:

but is literally anyone calling him Video Games Bill Cosby? Like, even one of the women who first brought this up said she doesn't expect him to be fired or whatever. There seems to be people going 'man that sucks, gently caress that poo poo' and 'this kinda makes me uncomfortable with him knowing he acts like this apparently' and then people going "WELL NOW HOLD UP STOP SAYING HE'S BASICALLY THE POLANSKI OF POLYGON, A POLYGONASNKI IF YOU WILL"

Read twitter, there's a ton of people essentially labeling him a sexual predator and that wont ever go away for the guy now.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm cracking up this is so god drat on point and it's too much

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Read twitter, there's a ton of people essentially labeling him a sexual predator and that wont ever go away for the guy now.

but call-out culture is good

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Just Chamber posted:

I mean. People who routinely sexually harass others are sexual predators. If Nick stops sexually harassing people he will metamorphose into a former sexual predator, which is better. This is not hard to understand?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Just Chamber posted:

I mean, this is predatory behavior considering so far the logs we have are from fans of his, and then the implication of this happening to game devs who, you know, may see Polygon as a really important relationship to maintain?

Like, he's low on the ladder but...sorry that Nick actually did do sexually predatory things?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Just Chamber posted:

im sorry nick but u have to become a republican now

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Like looking at this and calling Nick a rapist is going waaaay too far, but yes, he's a predator?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

mormonpartyboat posted:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=dkkKKvocLCgC&q=sexual+harassment#v=snippet&q=sexual%20harassment%20persisted&f=false

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people keep calling my friend a pyromaniac but it's not like he burned down an orphanage just several dozen shacks!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah and rape laws used to say only vaginal penetration with a penis or phallic object counted. It turns out the legal standard is stricter than the professional or moral standard, because things can be not crimes and still be bad. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Also this isn't in the EU, lmao

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't seen anyone use the literal phrase Video Games Bill Cosby. People have been discussing the severity of Nick's wrongdoing and I used a figure of speech to denote the furthest point on the Sexual Predator Spectrum

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

mods please change my name to sexual predator semantics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Some first-time posters in this thread, which is fun. But that's ok. They have powerhouses of logic like this guy behind them!

Only registered members can see post attachments!