Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I could see Toyota USA paying for a DPi program independently, they had the Lexus Grand-Am program for a good number of years that they funded. BMW was involved back then as well, they could be a potential, but they seem to be re-doubling down in GTLM next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

I still love the story about the Dauer 962s.

Dauer: "This is totally a street-legal grand touring car"
FIA: "Then why does it look like a Porsche 962"
Dauer: "Because it is a street legal, grand touring 962"
FIA: "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"
Porsche: "GOT 'EM!"

One of the things that got me hooked on cars properly in the early 1990s supercar boom were all the 962 road car conversions.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Let's see...

There's some people are thinking that when the Ford GT program ends, Ford is going to do a DPi program. That's who I think it is at first thought.

Other makers: Toyota wants Le Mans, so unlikely? Nissan, GM, Honda, and Mazda are all accounted for.

VAG DPi? Maybe Audi? :getin:

e: or maybe Mercedes, though they have F1 they're stomping in so doubt it.

Mercedes, BMW and Audi are all joining Formula E, BMW is redoing a GTLM car and Mercedes already spends far, far more than what the other two do just by virtue of F1.

I could see VAG doing it, but if VAG goes into DPi the year after they pull the plug on LMP1 the ACO is going to flip the table and make VAG persona non grata at Le Mans.
They pulled it on BMW after BMW pulled out before homologating the car they ran at Le Mans for two or three years and they did it to Mazda after Mazda humiliated them by winning in a 787B despite major rule changes (although Mazda prolly wasn't sticking around in any event). I could imagine it'd be harder for Porsche to find spots to advertise it's latest "I can't believe they're calling this a" 911 among other minor things that will undoubtedly come across as petty and small minded.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Remember, DPi rules allow you to use an existing and homologated GT3 engine. So take a look at manufacturers with a GT3 engine and without any other factory effort (GT or prototype)...

There were rumors last year of Mercedes-AMG, and also of Bentley. I'd say it's one of those two or Lamborghini.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I think Lamborghini have denied they have any DPi aspirations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I still think Audi is a credible possibility. Audi Sport bigwigs have been floating around several paddocks this year and they've openly expressed interest. The thought was that they'd team up with Joest again, but even without their organization, they still have a lot of pieces already in place to launch a program. They still have their relationship with Dallara for the chassis, several successful customer teams from endurance racing the R8, and a GT3-spec V10 ready to go. It wouldn't take much to get it off the ground.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think Lamborghini have ever done prototypes before and for some reason I don't see them as being their style

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Motorsport in general isn't Lambo's style.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Old man Lamborghini was always deeply suspicious of motorsport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He considered it a total waste of money which isn't really a dumb idea.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the only reason the Hurrican is racing is because VAG got the Audi R8 homologated, and given they share the same drivetrain in the road version, it wasn't probably too hard to get that qualified for GT3, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, and there have been weird non-factory backed Lambos racing in GT too. I always like it when someone decides to race a brand that doesn't do motorsport at all in a silhouette or touring car series, like back when STCC had some dude entering SAABs in it despite SAAB basically never ever doing motorsport in their entire history.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wasn't the rumor that they were doing Prototypes in WEC?

That and I guess the whole IndyCar deal, but they got scared off because they were afraid of going full Alfa Romeo/Lotus there.

At least the PWC cars are a beautiful thing...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They made engines for F1 in the late 80s so there is some precedent

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Aguri Suzuki apparently got a podium with that engine in Japan in 1990.

They're beautiful cars. I keep having the weirdest luck running into them in the northeast ohio area. The Huracán is almost an artist masterpiece.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He considered it a total waste of money which isn't really a dumb idea.

Probably true, but as somebody who'll never be able to afford a Lamborghini, I'm always deeply suspicious of supercar manufacturers that don't have any racing heritage.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

julian assflange posted:

I don't think Lamborghini have ever done prototypes before and for some reason I don't see them as being their style

They had a Group C car called the "Countach QVX" or something like that but it never amounted to much.

[edit] Apparently that was made by an importer rather than the actual factory.

BDA fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 5, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

julian assflange posted:

That was basically a Chrysler effort IIRC

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Speaking of FCA, Alfa Romeo would be a great addition to DPi and it would help the attempted revival of the brand in the US. Adapt the Ferrari 488 GT3's turbo eight cylinder into a turbo six, so you can evoke the roadgoing Giulia Quadrifoglio, and then wrap it in gorgeous Alfaesque bodywork. But they'd have to build the team and organization from scratch, more or less, which is WAY more effort than FCA seems willing to put into non-Ferrari racing these days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

e IM DUMB

e2: I like that even when the ligiers are kicking everyones rear end, we still get this http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/142955-taylor-shatters-road-america-qualifying-record

the Taylors are on a hell of a roll

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 5, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LMAO at this point they need special BOP just for WTR.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

julian assflange posted:

!991 also saw the Lambo 291
http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/695/lambo-291

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

an oddly awful oud posted:

I still think Audi is a credible possibility. Audi Sport bigwigs have been floating around several paddocks this year and they've openly expressed interest. The thought was that they'd team up with Joest again, but even without their organization, they still have a lot of pieces already in place to launch a program. They still have their relationship with Dallara for the chassis, several successful customer teams from endurance racing the R8, and a GT3-spec V10 ready to go. It wouldn't take much to get it off the ground.

I dunno. I was hanging out with them at Formula E and Lime Rock over the last few weeks and that's not the impression I got.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If Audi was planning a DPi program I doubt Joest would've gone in with Mazda.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I dunno. I was hanging out with them at Formula E and Lime Rock over the last few weeks and that's not the impression I got.

I'm not surprised by this, hence suggesting Lamborghini or Bentley as the VAG teams more interested. The word when DPi was getting started was that Bentley wanted to be in something where they could get overall wins, but also not as expensive. Would be cool to see them in DPi with that thundering V8.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That was basically a Chrysler effort IIRC

Yeah. Also there was a weird Lamborghini prototype in the mid-80s and I think the Diablo made appearances in GT1.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

an oddly awful oud posted:

Speaking of FCA, Alfa Romeo would be a great addition to DPi and it would help the attempted revival of the brand in the US. Adapt the Ferrari 488 GT3's turbo eight cylinder into a turbo six, so you can evoke the roadgoing Giulia Quadrifoglio, and then wrap it in gorgeous Alfaesque bodywork. But they'd have to build the team and organization from scratch, more or less, which is WAY more effort than FCA seems willing to put into non-Ferrari racing these days.

This would be extremely cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yeah. Also there was a weird Lamborghini prototype in the mid-80s and I think the Diablo made appearances in GT1.

JLOC :japan:

they still compete with the Gallardo and now Huracan in Japan in Super GT GT300 (which, btw, the summer Fuji Speedway race is later today!) but I miss the days when they were attempting such insane things as preparing a Diablo for the 24 Hours of Le Mans on a shoestring budget. Brilliant.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

njsykora posted:

Joest is still throwing a hissy fit that VAG wouldn't let them drive the 2017 car anyway.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Well, with me having hung out with exactly no one from Audi, you should probably go with what they're telling you instead of my idle speculation. It just seemed like the most race-ready option of the companies with conceivable interest in DPi.

njsykora posted:

I think there may be some hard feelings between Joest and Audi with the way the LMP program fell apart. And Joest going with Mazda doesn't strike me as a decision made out of compromise, either way; you're talking about a tiny organization with real funding limitations, saddled with a prototype with a horrible chassis and an outdated engine. You have to actually believe in that on some higher level to willingly put yourself into that situation. Otherwise, you'd just run a privateer LMP1 team.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Id have to believe they believe they can turn the mazda program into a race winning championship contender because the alternate is that even a member of the pantheon of endurance racing gods is not above taking a sucker's money.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

First non Caddy victory, Nismo/ESM/Pipo Derani win at Road America:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/142974-nissan-ends-cadillac-streak-with-road-america-win

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Just got back from there, it was disappointing that the rain didn't come. So, is Jordan the bad Taylor? That car was untouchable when Ricky was in.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ricky is a little quicker outright, Jordan is good at very fast (still on pace with AXR) fuel saving. They're a pretty killer combination.

e: Jordan is also a wizard at social media

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

theyve kinda swapped which one the "good one" is, i think ricky is considered the current "good one" but they are pretty close. Jordan is more aggressive, Ricky is smoother.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
lets be real, they're both fantastic prototype drivers. i'm interested to see what happens with ricky's indycar activities.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

lets be real, they're both fantastic endurance drivers. i'm interested to see what happens with ricky's indycar activities.

Fixed and same, respectively.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

NISMO has started doing a 24/7 stream thing of old races. Currently showing Super GT 2014 from Motegi, hope this sticks around.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cheesy marketing video you can skip through, but the Acura DPi looks friggen weird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cblkk4d9YMw

Some screencaps from Racer http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/143011-imsa-video-acura-offers-first-look-at-arx-05#!Acura_ARX_05_9

The gills on the sidepod are v cool

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Penske running one of the good P2 chassis with a known and developed engine is going to be a devastating thing next year. And the car looks unreal as well.

• Locked thread