Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I read it in text a long while ago but I'm mostly through the first Metro (2033) book in audio, and the narration is excellent, it's creepy af, and I still cannot really quite put it in a corner.

I mean when Artyon bumps into the ghost philosophers and starts blowing his own mind with World As Myth (except from the inside, so (Character As Impetus) I guess?) I remembered why I liked this novel so much, and why it should be bumped more in the thriller/horror thread. I think it may be the first novel in two decades which didn't poo poo the bed (for me) by winking at the fourth wall.

I already bought the next two and finals are over so I'm looking forward to seeing if it keeps up or falls off the rails :downsrim: (pun intended)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm going to be driving from Indiana to Florida before hte July 4 weekend so I need to fill about 30 hours (15 hours one way). I've been listening to the whole of the Discworld series so I'd like something similar. I have read Good Omens already, but it's been long enough that it might be worth a re-listen/read and I did the Hitchhiker's Guide series before Discworld. I might do Dirk Gently since it's been a while, but I think there's still some gaps in time left.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm going to be driving from Indiana to Florida before hte July 4 weekend so I need to fill about 30 hours (15 hours one way). I've been listening to the whole of the Discworld series so I'd like something similar. I have read Good Omens already, but it's been long enough that it might be worth a re-listen/read and I did the Hitchhiker's Guide series before Discworld. I might do Dirk Gently since it's been a while, but I think there's still some gaps in time left.

I'll be looking forward to other people's responses to this. When I ask for "something similar to Discworld", I usually get pointed toward Christopher Moore or Tom Holt. But it's not the same. You can get closer to Douglas Adams with books like The Sheriff of Yrnameer, by Michael Rubens, or Space Team, by Barry Hutchison -- but Pratchett and Adams really did have unique styles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually really enjoyed the Daily Life one, some parts are better than others but it has some neat stuff in it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Welp, sometime in the last few months, Audible removed the ability to gift individual books via cash or credit; it's a three, six, or twelve month membership subscription only now.

I'll sing their praises up and down, but I'm not loving buying memberships for people. If they wanted the service, they would already be on it.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
A little while back someone mentioned Head Full of Ghosts and Disappearance at Devils Rock. I really loved both of these, can anyone recommend anything similar?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tea Bone posted:

A little while back someone mentioned Head Full of Ghosts and Disappearance at Devils Rock. I really loved both of these, can anyone recommend anything similar?

There's this wonderful website called Goodreads that has you covered.

For Head Full of Ghosts.

For Disappearance at Devils Rock.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Tea Bone posted:

Not being helpful, I know, but I couldn't listen to Head Full of Ghosts due mainly to my embarrassment on behalf of the narrator being forced to read those obnoxious "blog" sections.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

budgieinspector posted:

Not being helpful, I know, but I couldn't listen to Head Full of Ghosts due mainly to my embarrassment on behalf of the narrator being forced to read those obnoxious "blog" sections.

It had to be way better to read outloud than the teen orgy part of It.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There's this wonderful website called Goodreads that has you covered.

For Head Full of Ghosts.

For Disappearance at Devils Rock.

Thanks, I've actually been using Goodreads to track books I've read but never used the 'books like' part of it. I'll give a few of them a try.

budgieinspector posted:

Haha, yeah Head Full of Ghosts was definitely the weaker of the two. The blog parts tie in eventually but I agree they were cringe worthy and could probably have been made significantly shorter.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If anyone's wondering what to buy in the current Audible sale, the Audible Studios production of Dracula is very good. I read it a couple years ago and loved it, but all the cast members really make the story flow nicely, and hearing it narrated reinforces how well Stoker executed the epistolary format. It's extra cool when you have characters like Dr. Seward whose diary entries are dictated to a phonograph. It really brings the old Europe/new Europe conflict to life in a way that reading it doesn't.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It's a good recording, but when I bought it using Whispersync the total cost was less than $5 since the Kindle version was so cheap. It might be worth checking that first.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Can I get a rundown on a list of the :agesilaus:Great Classics:agesilaus: of literature and/or non-fiction that everyone wants to read but turns out to be a boring slog, made great by audiobook? Things like Jeremy Irons in Lolita.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Can I get a rundown on a list of the :agesilaus:Great Classics:agesilaus: of literature and/or non-fiction that everyone wants to read but turns out to be a boring slog, made great by audiobook? Things like Jeremy Irons in Lolita.

What the heck kind of question is this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The book Lolita is bad but it's actually good when a famous actor reads it out loud

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I don't believe any of you have ever read Paradise Lost, and you don't want to.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't Paradise Lost written in the manner of an epic poem, like the Iliad/Aeneid?
Oh poo poo, it was written in 1667? I always thought it came out in the Victorian era.

poisonpill posted:

Nothing can make Kevin J. Anderson, Stackpole, Salvatore, Alan Dean Foster, Robert Jordan, or GRRM books worth going through, not even Morgan Freeman.

And Caesar's Commentaries is still boring, though that may be due to the narrator used.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 19, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

poisonpill posted:

I've read it, and it's good.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

poisonpill posted:

Irons' Lolita is magnificent, I'll give you that.

I quite enjoyed Andrew Sachs' ("Manuel", from Fawlty Towers) reading of Candide... but I happen to really like Candide. If you're looking for something a little lighter, Christopher Plummer's reading of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass is absolutely charming. It's like he's reading to his grandchildren and doing all the voices.

poisonpill posted:

I read it. I didn't want to. My best advice for the unwary would be to ignore every stanza that doesn't have Lucifer in it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The Paradise Lost line is actually a quote from Mark Twain, from the whole "everyone wants to have read the classics but nobody wants to read them" thing. I appreciate the Candide rec, anything in those lines (Flaubert, or maybe a good reading of a Russian author)? Already read Caesar, but how do people feel about the Xenophon and/or Plutarch's Lives on Audible?

Any recommendations in the vein of [i[Walden[/i] or the like?

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!

poisonpill posted:

Not really a "boring slog" but Tom Hollander's rendition of A Clockwork Orange is loving amazing and you will be speaking Nadsat by the end of it, o my brother.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

poisonpill posted:

I recently listened to Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" read by Kenneth Branagh and I really enjoyed it. I'll admit I didn't fully understand every word of it, because the writing is so convoluted and flowery, but I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly so much if I was reading it on paper. Constantly re-reading bits, looking up words and pausing to think things through would have ruined the flow and made it a slog. Branagh just pushes on with the story and it's wonderful to listen to.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/Heart-of-Darkness-A-Signature-Performance-by-Kenneth-Branagh-Audiobook/B004AFXAZS

I also listened to Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" read by Aidan Gillen, and I very much recommend that as well. The book probably wouldn't have been such a terrible slog to read on paper since it's fairly short, but listening to Littlefinger lecturing me on the Art of War was great.

https://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-Art-of-War-Audiobook/B00URXOQ1E

Mister Facetious posted:

And Caesar's Commentaries is still boring, though that may be due to the narrator used.

Which version did you listen to? I bought one on Audible a while back, but ended up just refunding it immediately because the translation was so dodgy. The translator had made the incomprehensible decision to change it from the original 3rd person narrative to a 1st person narrative. Maybe they have better versions on Audible, but I ended up just reading a paperback version.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Which version did you listen to? I bought one on Audible a while back, but ended up just refunding it immediately because the translation was so dodgy. The translator had made the incomprehensible decision to change it from the original 3rd person narrative to a 1st person narrative. Maybe they have better versions on Audible, but I ended up just reading a paperback version.

Charlton Griffin

https://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/The-Commentaries-Audiobook/B002V0QDS0

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I have this version and thought it was dope. The only part I didn't like was the translator using modern rather than Roman place names.

My own answer would be Frank Muller narrating Moby Dick. It's a little tough just reading it, but I wouldn't call it a slog. The flow and vivacity of Muller's narration makes it sound effortless, and it's probably my favorite audiobook narration period.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 19, 2017

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Apoffys posted:

The translator had made the incomprehensible decision to change it from the original 3rd person narrative to a 1st person narrative.

I...what? That's just bizarre. These recommendations are great, so thanks! Looking forward to Littlefingers's Art of War.

I'm just sad now that there isn't a Kenneth Branagh version of Paradise Lost (the good parts). Imagine him rousing the troops of Hell.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Aubrey/Matarin series is great in audio form.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

skrath posted:

Not really a "boring slog" but Tom Hollander's rendition of A Clockwork Orange is loving amazing and you will be speaking Nadsat by the end of it, o my brother.

Just want to back this up. I thought that the Nadsat might be hard to follow in audio form but it's delivered perfectly, after the first couple of chapters it almost feels like plain English.

On the off chance anyone is listening to this and doesn't already know the story, skip the foreword as it's full of spoilers.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there a clean break between the foreword and the actual book? Because a lot of the audiobooks I have include the foreword as part of Chapter 1 and it makes it a 1st-world-problem hassle to fast-forward through.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is there a clean break between the foreword and the actual book? Because a lot of the audiobooks I have include the foreword as part of Chapter 1 and it makes it a 1st-world-problem hassle to fast-forward through.

I thought they were on separate tracks but just checked and no, they're both on the first track of the book. I think the foreword is about 15 minutes long. You should be able to tell easily by the difference in the narrators voice if he's still in the foreword or the actual book

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 27, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sorry pal, I only listen spoken word manga

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been using Easy MP3 Joiner for a couple months to combine old BBC programs, however I've come to the end of my trial and don't want to pay $30 for a full version of it. Can anyone recommend a good free MP3 joiner?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I've been using Easy MP3 Joiner for a couple months to combine old BBC programs, however I've come to the end of my trial and don't want to pay $30 for a full version of it. Can anyone recommend a good free MP3 joiner?

Couldn't you just use audacity to combine them?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just downloaded and played around with it- it looks like it will work, however it isn't as straightforward in use as selecting a few MP3's and clicking "JOIN"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you guys know why the first collection of The Witcher short stores (The Last Wish) isn't available on Canadian Audible? Is there any way to trick Audible to let me buy it and have it in my collection with everything else?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Because Canadian licensing is an exclusivity shell game of poo poo.

Rogers Delenda Est

Fun fact; I have 'From Those Wonderful Folks That Gave You Pearl Harbor' (irl history of Mad Men advertisers), and less than six months later you couldn't buy it with a Canadian account.
:iiam:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone here listened to Ninefox Gambit or The Malazan Book of the Fallen series? If so, how hard are they to follow in audio form? There's a lot of reviews saying Ninefox in particular drops you into the deep end and expects you to swim, and I recall needing to use the index a lot when I read the first couple Malazan books years ago.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Kestral posted:

Has anyone here listened to Ninefox Gambit or The Malazan Book of the Fallen series? If so, how hard are they to follow in audio form? There's a lot of reviews saying Ninefox in particular drops you into the deep end and expects you to swim, and I recall needing to use the index a lot when I read the first couple Malazan books years ago.

I went into the audio version of Malazan without knowing anything about it and ended up returning it. It was too confusing for me to follow, voice acting was decent though.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Malazan works great for a RE read but I wouldn't recommend the audiobooks for a first time through. Too many weird names to keep track of. Fine in text when you can backtrack a little or check the list but in audio it'll all just mush together into apostrophe word salad.

It's good for a second read though because it forces you to pay attention to everything including all the danm poems.

On the other hand if you listen to the audio books second you'll realize you've been pronouncing literally everything incorrectly in your head for hundreds of hours.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 6, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Gonna go ahead and let you guys know that Final Girls is very overrated and not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

If there's any nostalgia for the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, they're on sale for $3.95 each on Audible.
http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_1_srAuth?searchAuthor=Brian+Jacques&qid=1502265491&sr=1-1