Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

I call this aesthetic "Grandma Gothic"

This is awesome. I would live here (I'd have to lose weight and wear floaty nightgowns to fit in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

it's a reminder of whoever said "the purpose of interior designers is to install as many recessed light fixtures as the structure will support"

Oh man just wait until you see my house finished, I've got those things goddamn everywhere.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Give me that over overstuffed couches any day.

gently caress off, no one cares. You are the worst advocate for your particular niche style and I hope someone breaks into your white cube of a residence just to fill it with tacky rococo reproductions.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a present for you thread.

Remember how last week I gave you surreal estate.(https://www.theguardian.com/money/series/surreal-estate)

Well, Im betting if you didn't know about that you won't know about this one either, enjoy :D

https://www.theguardian.com/money/series/home-and-away

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

I don't understand what is going on in this kitchen, but I think I like it.

Why hang a spice rack on the wall when you can carve it into the wall! :black101:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I sort of like the idea of a spice cave.

I can't figure out how to store my spices so that they are both tidy and also easily accessible.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those niches between studs have been a big thing for a couple years, although mostly in the bathroom, I think.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I've been seriously considering some similar solutions for my pretty-much-totally-without-storage old house. There are a few more samples here. Just having a place to put goddamned brooms and such would be huge. What makes this somewhat more difficult is that pretty-much-totally-without-storage old house also has a lot of chair rails.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Enfys posted:

I can't figure out how to store my spices so that they are both tidy and also easily accessible.

Spice drawer. I have one like this. Though it's obviously a built-in solution, not an add-on solution.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

I cut lengths of 2x12, 2x8, and 2x4 scrap I had laying around to make a stepped rack to stick into a cabinet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Spice drawer. I have one like this. Though it's obviously a built-in solution, not an add-on solution.

Much like fridge doors they're really great for when you want all your stuff to fall over when the drawer hits its stops.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Much like fridge doors they're really great for when you want all your stuff to fall over when the drawer hits its stops.

Mine is totally full and nothing moves. :shrug:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

oh you'd have loved my old kitchen, the spices were on a magnetic thing on the side of the fridge. so if you slam the fridge door, the stuff in your fridge door falls out AND all your spices fall down.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Enfys posted:

Option 1: fuckin' magnets

Option 2: those tilted drawer inserts that you can buy or make

Option 3: rip out your cabinet doors and go mason jar crazy (I actually like this kitchen but drat it looks like Pinterest threw up on it)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol at that fridge just like blocking everything

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lol at all that poo poo stored directly above a stove with no vent hood

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

I honestly love this. Needs a little work and some decluttering but I never outgrew my teen goth phase so I am 100% into it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

hailthefish posted:

lol at all that poo poo stored directly above a stove with no vent hood

I'm the half-gallon of olive oil sitting directly on the stovetop.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm the half-gallon of olive oil sitting directly on the stovetop.
I'm the cubby hole for the scrubber.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm the convenient eye-level knives

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mine is totally full and nothing moves. :shrug:

I think them being full is a good thing to stop them falling over, like bookcases. The one in the picture is probably fine too because it looks to be well thought out but I've seen some similar ones (especially full height ones for storing other bits too) where they're not so fit for purpose and poo poo falls over all the dang time.

Youth Decay posted:

Is that magnets? I thought the point of using jars was you glue the lids to the underside and use the screw action of the lid to hold the jars in, so you twist to remove. Also popular for holding screws, nails etc in workshops.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peanut posted:

lol at that fridge just like blocking everything

And the little stool table thing totally blocking the oven.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think them being full is a good thing to stop them falling over, like bookcases. The one in the picture is probably fine too because it looks to be well thought out but I've seen some similar ones (especially full height ones for storing other bits too) where they're not so fit for purpose and poo poo falls over all the dang time.

Is that magnets? I thought the point of using jars was you glue the lids to the underside and use the screw action of the lid to hold the jars in, so you twist to remove. Also popular for holding screws, nails etc in workshops.

If you have to twist these it just seems like a great way to make a mess. Also I guess you have to duck your head under there to know what's past the first row? Or memorize?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do Americans not have wall mounted spice racks?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

If you have to twist these it just seems like a great way to make a mess. Also I guess you have to duck your head under there to know what's past the first row? Or memorize?

It's prime pinterest/lifehacks poo poo https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/458804280758614827/

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Option 2: those tilted drawer inserts that you can buy or make

Option 3: rip out your cabinet doors and go mason jar crazy (I actually like this kitchen but drat it looks like Pinterest threw up on it)

I'm the hot bowl of soup that slops over into your eyes when you take it out of the microwave.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

learnincurve posted:

American grandmas do.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

learnincurve posted:

like, the ones who put a spice rack on their wall do, but it's not really a standard kitchen feature (at least where i've lived, mileage may vary etc)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Americans have no need for spice racks. They only season with salt or sugar.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sauces not spices

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Ranch goes in the fridge, not on the spice rack.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

that eight year old cayenne that came with the spice rack is really gonna add a zing to your chili

go easy on the ranch, your aunt doesn't like it too spicy

edit: related, i thought my mom had the worst most halfassed spices in the world for so long, turns out she just likes the 80s spice jar aesthetic, they're all less than a month old. or at least they are NOW, i do remember some bland-rear end curries (sorry mom)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think we've hit peak words on walls (apologies for lovely image quality)

unless they put other words on other walls (a possibility) they literally just have the word "grow" on the wall off their living room.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

EAT
GROW
LIVE
LAUGH
LOVE
DIE

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I genuinely thought that said 'gore' or something and, paired with the Santa hanging by the wrists, I was extremely concerned for your safety. It's the Addams family, but rebooted with a mcmansion flavored!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

:barf:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone stencilled quotes from the lion king in my son's new room. Almost an appropriate use of the stencil, but for the fact that he's 15.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"someone"?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My guess is they just moved into the house and the quotes were there before they moved? Hopefully it was the bedroom of a younger kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nah I prefer the idea of a lovely banksy sneaking in and covering the walls in awful toss before vanishing into the night.

That or a government department sending round an ID equivalent of a social worker to bring the child's room up to spec with the latest legislation ("Says here children get lion king quotes, I don't care how old he is, more'n me job's worth to change it")