Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agrajag posted:

No Mad Cat? What is this?

You mean the TBR, or the MCII? The Timber Wolf is a shadow of its former self, and while it's not exactly bad, the Ebon Jag blows it out of the water as a laser platform.

As for the MCII, it lacks the hard-points to mount pure Laser Vomit. The mixed loud-out it runs is generally referred to as Gauss Vomit.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The mad cat is good at lot of things but great at none of them.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm on discord sometimes, but I tend to play at weird hours. Also, what 1v1 challenge?

Aren't you Nymh in game? And I can't believe you don't remember my challenge, you said some truly hurtful things about my non-jumpjet TBR and I challenged you to a TBR 1vs1, you in your lame-rear end JJ TBR and me in my extremely good non-JJ brawling TBR.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TjyvTompa posted:

The Orion-IIC-A is hands down the best heavy brawler in the game right now. Let me know if you have any build problems or questions.

I grabbed him and have been enjoying it a bunch so far, the spread of weapon types is cool and I feel like I'm never super worthless at any range, throw LRMs while I'm making my way in, laser guys at medium range, rocket the hell out of people up close, though I guess biggest question is what do I use the purse gun under my arm for? I might be doing something wrong but it never seems like it's doing a whole lot, whereas the thing that the trial Orion and Atlas have at least looks like a big rear end slug of hurt. Which additionally, I did also get an Atlas (AS7-S) like I wanted to at first, which has been a bunch of fun to insta-nuke babby mechs with, that and it feels like I'm being forced to learn things or die super hard with him which is a thing I sort of enjoy.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 6, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Aren't you Nymh in game? And I can't believe you don't remember my challenge, you said some truly hurtful things about my non-jumpjet TBR and I challenged you to a TBR 1vs1, you in your lame-rear end JJ TBR and me in my extremely good non-JJ brawling TBR.

Okay, I remember the argument, but a 1v1 doesn't really resolve anything because the point of a JJ is to help you in turning duels against more nimble mechs. That wouldn't really apply in a mirror match. The whole thing is moot now in any case, since the TBR is a poo poo tier brawler after the SPL nerf and engine decouple.

Yardbomb posted:

I grabbed him and have been enjoying it a bunch so far, the spread of weapon types is cool and I feel like I'm never super worthless at any range, throw LRMs while I'm making my way in, laser guys at medium range, rocket the hell out of people up close, though I guess biggest question is what do I use the purse gun under my arm for? I might be doing something wrong but it never seems like it's doing a whole lot, whereas the thing that the trial Orion and Atlas have at least looks like a big rear end slug of hurt. Which additionally, I did also get an Atlas (AS7-S) like I wanted to at first, which has been a bunch of fun to insta-nuke babby mechs with, that and it feels like I'm being forced to learn things or die super hard with him which is a thing I sort of enjoy.

It sounds like you're running the mech Stock, which is not what you want on the Onion IIC. It's a dedicated brawler, and should look something more like this: ON1-IIC-A. Your goal in life is to get close and smash people in the face with ~70-point alphas.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like I'm never super worthless at any range, throw LRMs while I'm making my way in

I lol-ed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I mean I'm doing aaaanything at least, gives me a button to hit while I close in :v:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

I mean I'm doing aaaanything at least, gives me a button to hit while I close in :v:

Sometimes you just have to stand around doing nothing but hiding. Don't turn an amazing brawler into a turd just because you are inpatient.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lwoodio posted:

Sometimes you just have to stand around doing nothing but hiding. Don't turn an amazing brawler into a turd just because you are inpatient.

I know what to replace it with now though so it should be fine soon, meant just while I was still tooling with the default junk it comes with.

Very late update, first match after retooling my Orion IIC-A to that one smurfy build you guys gave me.

This poo poo owns, even ran my missiles dry right at the end from alpha striking guys in the face.

Also I guess why not ask, would it be alright to ask to join GIRL? In-game name's BrotherlyLove.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 6, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yardbomb posted:

I know what to replace it with now though so it should be fine soon, meant just while I was still tooling with the default junk it comes with.

Very late update, first match after retooling my Orion IIC-A to that one smurfy build you guys gave me.

This poo poo owns, even ran my missiles dry right at the end from alpha striking guys in the face.

Also I guess why not ask, would it be alright to ask to join GIRL? In-game name's BrotherlyLove.

Haha yeah, sorry I forgot to paste the actual build for the Orion, you were not supposed to use it stock, happy to see you like it.
Join the discord that is in the OP and message swiller of beer for a GIRL invite (or BeefSupreme for a WoL invite).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Haha yeah, sorry I forgot to paste the actual build for the Orion, you were not supposed to use it stock, happy to see you like it.
Join the discord that is in the OP and message swiller of beer for a GIRL invite (or BeefSupreme for a WoL invite).

Can do, but yeah I've been enjoying that thing a whole lot, way more than any of the trials or anything.

Really one of my only semi-worries before I started was that looking around I'd just heard a ton about laser vomit, which Iunno, lasers are cool but I'm glad I got recommended/picked up a dude where I can just run up on someone and blast their rear end off instead.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yardbomb posted:

Can do, but yeah I've been enjoying that thing a whole lot, way more than any of the trials or anything.

Really one of my only semi-worries before I started was that looking around I'd just heard a ton about laser vomit, which Iunno, lasers are cool but I'm glad I got recommended/picked up a dude where I can just run up on someone and blast their rear end off instead.

There are a couple of set kind of ways to play the game (metas). Laser vomit, sniping, brawling and, yuck, lurming. Between them you have types that can do both, and lights that are kinda in a whole category of their own. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, mostly that they are all lame compared to brawling.
Sometimes you will find yourself in a brawling mech unable to get close and do any damage. It just happens, sometimes several times in a row. That's when you bust out your lasermech for a few rounds. Everything can be fun, but brawling is the most fun.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

There are a couple of set kind of ways to play the game (metas). Laser vomit, sniping, brawling and, yuck, lurming. Between them you have types that can do both, and lights that are kinda in a whole category of their own. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, mostly that they are all lame compared to brawling.
Sometimes you will find yourself in a brawling mech unable to get close and do any damage. It just happens, sometimes several times in a row. That's when you bust out your lasermech for a few rounds. Everything can be fun, but brawling is the most fun.

This man is correct and good at leading charges. Team composition and positioning matters a lot, so sometimes you'll just be in a bad position for your build. Midrange dakka or laser builds can find themselves getting pushed down, and brawlers tend to reenact Pickett's charge if they don't move en masse. Sometimes the correct move is waiting until the initial pokefest is done, and act as cleanup crew, and sometimes a team just needs to collectively push.

Any thoughts on what's good at brawling, still? I have a whole mess of robots, about 10m cbills, and enough equipment to rebuild more or less anything prepatch.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

This man is correct and good at leading charges. Team composition and positioning matters a lot, so sometimes you'll just be in a bad position for your build. Midrange dakka or laser builds can find themselves getting pushed down, and brawlers tend to reenact Pickett's charge if they don't move en masse. Sometimes the correct move is waiting until the initial pokefest is done, and act as cleanup crew, and sometimes a team just needs to collectively push.

Any thoughts on what's good at brawling, still? I have a whole mess of robots, about 10m cbills, and enough equipment to rebuild more or less anything prepatch.

Did you see the Orion-IIC-A build? http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=373&l=4cf69a587401df118c9919972a8cd7de1d136bc0
It's the best brawler currently.

If you like assaults you could try the Victor-9S, 1xUAC20, 3xSRM6-A and a LFE that fits. Marauder-IIC-SC, the Mad Cats, the KDK-3 4xLBX10 is still good....too many choices. Brawling has barely been nerfed between all the ppc, gauss, laser nerfs so it's in a really good spot right now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Off the top of my head,

Lights: Wolfhound and Urbanmech (Laser brawlers), Command and Oxide (SRMs)
Medium: Griffin (2N or 3M), Bushwhacker (pretty much all of them), Huntsmen (SRM Splat)
Heavy: Catapult and Mad Dog (SRM Splat), Orion IIC
Assault: Victor, Cyclops, Scorch, Mad Cat II, Atlas

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 6, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Requires real money since you need a Pakhet, but this is my go-to brawling Huntsman.

You can do some fun things with Roughnecks too, they're armored like assaults so they'll probably make good brawlers once they're out for C-Bills.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For a cooler-running Huntsman that only has four less missiles, runs a lot colder, and doesn't cost money, use http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=461&l=e52f6605d66184dd1da8e28b384ca64fa2406f65 instead. It's pretty much obsoleted the Mad Dog, imo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Me and Beefy were running Orions on Friday and just absolutely decimating people. I think one game we both had over 900 damage and basically all the kills. I was being naughty and using the IIC(O) tho. I did finally get it to run roughly as good as the proper IIC-A build, but only because I wanted the cbill bonus.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veedubfreak posted:

Me and Beefy were running Orions on Friday and just absolutely decimating people. I think one game we both had over 900 damage and basically all the kills. I was being naughty and using the IIC(O) tho. I did finally get it to run roughly as good as the proper IIC-A build, but only because I wanted the cbill bonus.

You have 290 million cbills.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

TjyvTompa posted:

You have 290 million cbills.

Nah man, I bought that xl 360, member?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I just got on and got a free 2 million spacebux and a neat clan speaker to stick in my cockpit, where'd that come from? Not complaining obviously but google wasn't giving me anything.

Axetrain posted:

Every couple of weeks they run an event with bonus missions that award various prizes like c-bills/mechs/premium time/etc. I actually think they are pretty great, I have lots of stuff from them I wouldn't have otherwise had and it gives me a reason to play.

Neato, logging in to check it, I'm just about there on the assault stuff too. :toot:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I just got on and got a free 2 million spacebux and a neat clan speaker to stick in my cockpit, where'd that come from? Not complaining obviously but google wasn't giving me anything.

Reward from the current event. https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201708civilwar

Every couple of weeks they run an event with bonus missions that award various prizes like c-bills/mechs/premium time/etc. I actually think they are pretty great, I have lots of stuff from them I wouldn't have otherwise had and it gives me a reason to play.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 7, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also might as well ask so I don't blow my bills on something possibly outdated, I got my Orion IIC-A all decked out now, but I'd like to fix my AS7-S up next, is this build still about what I should be aiming for?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Drop the MLs. You never want to hold burns in an Atlas. It's all about twisting 24/7 in between alphas. Also, get an LFE in there. Yeah, you don't get to live on as a zombie-stick after your second shoulder goes, but the extra room you get on a 100-tonner is huge. In this case, it lets you squeeze in a Snubnose PPC, which pairs very well with the AC/20 and gives the mech a respectable mid-range punch for when stuff is still a tad too far away for the SRMs.

Example: AS7-S

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Also might as well ask so I don't blow my bills on something possibly outdated, I got my Orion IIC-A all decked out now, but I'd like to fix my AS7-S up next, is this build still about what I should be aiming for?

I would suggest just not running an Atlas until they give it some kind of mobility buff. Even with every skill unlock, you're not going to twist fast enough to avoid getting hosed anymore.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Skippy McPants posted:

Drop the MLs. You never want to hold burns in an Atlas. It's all about twisting 24/7 in between alphas. Also, get an LFE in there. Yeah, you don't get to live on as a zombie-stick after your second shoulder goes, but the extra room you get on a 100-tonner is huge. In this case, it lets you squeeze in a Snubnose PPC, which pairs very well with the AC/20 and gives the mech a respectable mid-range punch for when stuff is still a tad too far away for the SRMs.

Example: AS7-S

The MLs on the belt are so you can run zombie after they knock off your side torsos. An LFE in the atlas barely gains you anything for it except for the ability to lose speed and heat dissipation when they do blow out one of your side torsos. The build that Yardbomb posted is The One True Build when it comes to the AS7S, except you want to drop two heatsinks from the engine and pile armor into the arms.

Don't just cram LFEs into IS mechs. Sometimes you don't need to go faster, and when you place it into mechs that very often get their side torsos blown out (the atlas is 100% one of these mechs) you are cutting their useful lifespan by a huge margin. Going from a 350 to a 360 and gaining a ppc is not worth it at all for that survivability loss.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

Don't just cram LFEs into IS mechs. Sometimes you don't need to go faster, and when you place it into mechs that very often get their side torsos blown out (the atlas is 100% one of these mechs) you are cutting their useful lifespan by a huge margin. Going from a 350 to a 360 and gaining a ppc is not worth it at all for that survivability loss.

It's not about going faster, it's about the extra tonnage—seven tons in this case—and how you spend it. Here it buys the Atlas a few more KPH, a PPC, and a couple more DHS/extra arm armor. Taken together I'd argue that those gains will have more impact over the course of most matches than the contributions of a Stick.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 7, 2017

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Has anyone tried the comedy option ghost dad + stealth armor yet? If not then I'm getting ready to make more poor decisions.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Atlatl posted:

Has anyone tried the comedy option ghost dad + stealth armor yet? If not then I'm getting ready to make more poor decisions.

TheB33F lives in an alternate timeline where all comedy option builds exist simultaneously in his mechbays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_GL7QEAPg

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not about going faster, it's about the extra tonnage—seven tons in this case—and how you spend it. Here it buys the Atlas a few more KPH, a PPC, and a couple more DHS/extra arm armor. Taken together I'd argue that those gains will have more impact over the course of most matches than the contributions of a Stick.

Two medium lasers do as much damage as a ppc, create less heat for the cost of face time, and weighs 4 tons less, and the only time you'll be using those weapons is when you don't give a gently caress anymore about taking CT damage as an atlas. Dropping three of your SRM6s to 4s isn't worth getting a PPC, nor is it worth doing that to gain a few KPH and the downsides of the LFE. Even with two extra heatsinks the PPC is going to be generating too much heat in combination with your alpha strike, which already makes the atlas run hot. The atlas specializes in losing side torsos and still being a threat, and making it so that you lose your ability to fire effectively after losing a side torso and becoming even slower is not something that is good for that mech.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
it's still a poor decision but now I feel empowered :getin:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel we're playing different games.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm glad I'm not playing any more because this weird world where you load up an atlas with things other than SRMs and AC/20s is horrible

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
If you haven't lead an effective corner push as a stick atlas then you haven't lived. They'll still shoot at you because the googly eyes and lipstick mouth strike fear in their hearts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand all this Atlas/assault talk when the K9 exists. I am confused.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

Two medium lasers do as much damage as a ppc, create less heat for the cost of face time, and weighs 4 tons less, and the only time you'll be using those weapons is when you don't give a gently caress anymore about taking CT damage as an atlas. Dropping three of your SRM6s to 4s isn't worth getting a PPC, nor is it worth doing that to gain a few KPH and the downsides of the LFE. Even with two extra heatsinks the PPC is going to be generating too much heat in combination with your alpha strike, which already makes the atlas run hot. The atlas specializes in losing side torsos and still being a threat, and making it so that you lose your ability to fire effectively after losing a side torso and becoming even slower is not something that is good for that mech.

But unlike the MLs, you're not just using the PPC when it's time to say fuckit. As I mentioned in my first response, the Snubnose pairs remarkably well with the AC/20. It's not just a fallback weapon, but a component of your regular distance closing and alpha damage. Yes, the build runs hotter when pulling full alphas, but your point about losing a side torso is moot in regard to heat management because along with that side goes either your AC or SRMs and all the heat they were generating.

Skoll posted:

I feel we're playing different games.

Maybe. I tend to value the slow accretion of factional advantages over the occasional thrill of being a zombie.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Went with that 'One True Build' I posted asking about after seeing some of the talk on it, I can dig it after a handful of matches with it now. Also to the thought of Atlas just not being great right now on mobility, that's probably true but he's just my novelty big boy anyway, even getting embarrassingly shot up for going into bad situations half the time, I've still enjoyed the other times of slow rolling up on guys and vaporizing light enough targets while twisting like mad. That and once or twice now I've actually gotten groups of my team to follow in behind my charges and it's cool to half-assed lead pubbies on the warpath and win.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

But unlike the MLs, you're not just using the PPC when it's time to say fuckit. As I mentioned in my first response, the Snubnose pairs remarkably well with the AC/20. It's not just a fallback weapon, but a component of your regular distance closing and alpha damage. Yes, the build runs hotter when pulling full alphas, but your point about losing a side torso is moot in regard to heat management because along with that side goes either your AC or SRMs and all the heat they were generating.

You should be twisting to lose your AC/20 first, which generates 6 heat on a shot compared to 16 on your SRM side. When you lose a side torso while running an LFE you lose 40% of your heat dissipation, and on a mech that already has low heat dissipation that means you won't be shooting your snub nose ppc or your SRMs anymore during the fight without shutting down every shot. PPCs and LFEs do not belong on the Atlas, because they make the atlas hotter, which it already has problems with, and less survivable, which is the only good point of playing an atlas.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

You should be twisting to lose your AC/20 first, which generates 6 heat on a shot compared to 16 on your SRM side. When you lose a side torso while running an LFE you lose 40% of your heat dissipation, and on a mech that already has low heat dissipation that means you won't be shooting your snub nose ppc or your SRMs anymore during the fight without shutting down every shot. PPCs and LFEs do not belong on the Atlas, because they make the atlas hotter, which it already has problems with, and less survivable, which is the only good point of playing an atlas.

The dissipation on the LFE build falls from ~1.54 to ~.94 vs. the 1.28 base of the STD build, which is only a 25% loss in dissipation between them. That is a reduction, but it's still enough to fire your SRMs, and even the PPC on occasion.

And I maintain that higher performance while still in good condition is more valuable than higher performance after losing your first and second side torso, but I don't think we're going to reach any agreement on this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also since I now have an assault and heavy I like and they're decked out, what should I be grabbing for a light? The OP info sure talked up the Arctic Cheetah, that still a choice tinyman to go fast with?

• Locked thread