Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's the go-to 3v3 setup at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I think you'll find the most popular 3v3 groups to be either Hanzo/Widow/Genji or Hanzo/Widow/Doomfist

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Autism Sneaks posted:

I think you'll find the most popular 3v3 groups to be either Hanzo/Widow/Genji or Hanzo/Widow/Doomfist

What about most effective though

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Soldier/a healer/who cares

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Getting no more dupes certainly feels great.
That is all.

135 more ranks - not counting events and new heroes - and I am done :)

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 4, 2017

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I play a lot of 3v3... I think it's my favorite mode. I always pick for composition and to win.

I think some of the best combos are:

Pharah, Mercy, (hog or dva)

winston , zen, (genji or hanzo or soldier)

lucio, (reaper or doomfist), dva

A good tracer wrecks poo poo, but composition doesn't matter with her.

Going Zen and any two ranged DPS is always strong IF they are good at their role, but that is practically impossible in 3v3 random matchups. That said, I always go zen when they go 2 snipers.

If your team sucks, go surprise bastion, soldier or hog and try to do it all yourself.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Waiting to use Pharah+Mercy until after the other team has played Widow/Soldier is a good way to basically ensure a win for one round.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Forgot to post this way back when it happened but one of the people I play with all the time blocked a Doomfist ult but looking up with Reinhardt's shield. Fist eneded up landing on top of his shield. Dunno if this is intentional or a one off glitch but it was funny all the same.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just used the new highlight stuff for the first time.

Why on earth would I EVER use the ingame record function to save my highlights instead of the NVIDIA thing. It takes SO LONG. I can just record the drat thing using the nvidia shadowplay or whatever thing at max quality and not have it take a hundred years.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's people that aren't nerds about video recording software so it's probably for them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk why they even added it on console since it's less convenient, less useful, and takes more effort than just pressing the share button

the highlight thing should work more like that actually. save the last game rather than one play from the game

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can save up to 3 separate highlights + potg is auto-saved for you or any highlights the system deems worthy are auto-saved for you, per game, on pc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know, but I can just hit a button and save the past 15 minutes whenever I feel like it on console. you can do more or less the same thing with stuff like shadowplay but this is baked into the system so you don't have to worry about your system exploding if you try (my pc really did not like it when I tried that stuff)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

Why on earth would I EVER use the ingame record function to save my highlights instead of the NVIDIA thing. It takes SO LONG. I can just record the drat thing using the nvidia shadowplay or whatever thing at max quality and not have it take a hundred years.

It a nice backup tool. I had a few potgs I was wanting to put up on Youtube with Shadowplay, but for some reason it didn't capture the audio so it was muted.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
it's for people that want to be shown a video and then click a button if it's good. Have you even paid attention to the internet the past 8 years????

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Macaluso posted:

For instance, you can up the rendering quality with the highlight system, so even if you need to run at medium quality for 60+ fps, your highlight can be saved on ultra with 3x scaling if you want to.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It's also pretty and eyecatching with graphics and poo poo

You know what's not pretty and eyecatching? It's when you hit your hotkey to record the last X minutes in Shadowplay and it efficiently spits out a file somewhere. Boring! :colbert:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I want to see HRGLBRGL.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just the first thing I recorded from ptr. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSi7JJiRiw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

It's also pretty and eyecatching with graphics and poo poo

You know what's not pretty and eyecatching? It's when you hit your hotkey to record the last X minutes in Shadowplay and it efficiently spits out a file somewhere. Boring! :colbert:

Let me be clear, the highlight system itself is great. It's the built in recording system where it saves a video on to your computer that is the issue, for me anyway. It takes waaay too long if you want it saved at max settings, and it's just faster for me to just use Shadowplay and record the saved highlight instead. I can see the recording function being useful for lower end computers that want their highlights saved at higher settings though.

The new highlight screen is very snazzy looking

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's hard to compete with software that's designed to use features built into your video card.

Not impossible, though, because as software Shadowplay is a disaster and I've been badly tempted to switch to OBS or something; it would have way more overhead but wouldn't arbitrarily refuse to let me bind certain keys, or randomly fail to pick up voice, etc.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's hard to compete with software that's designed to use features built into your video card.

Not impossible, though, because as software Shadowplay is a disaster and I've been badly tempted to switch to OBS or something; it would have way more overhead but wouldn't arbitrarily refuse to let me bind certain keys, or randomly fail to pick up voice, etc.

How do I record myself during a game without having to listen to me farting and scratching when I'm not doing comms?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Keep in mind that while many of us have NVidia(Me included) AMD still does in fact have a market share among gamers. So talking about how Nvidia Shadowplay is better than the works on all GPU solution means jack to a lot of people.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm an IT person and I like the built in poo poo better. Nvidia is annoying to configure and use and Overwatch just records my highlight and that's it. I use 720P and it takes about 20 seconds to record.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

wit posted:

How do I record myself during a game without having to listen to me farting and scratching when I'm not doing comms?

Bind the same push-to-talk key in-game and in your recording software. Of course, if you're using Shadowplay, I hope you don't have voice bound to mouse4 or mouse5 because it won't let you use them (short of resorting to registry edits or Autohotkey-based workarounds, which have their own problems.)

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bind the same push-to-talk key in-game and in your recording software. Of course, if you're using Shadowplay, I hope you don't have voice bound to mouse4 or mouse5 because it won't let you use them (short of resorting to registry edits or Autohotkey-based workarounds, which have their own problems.)

Cheers mate. Having listened to all of you chucklefucks I started rewatching my games and its totally helped me, I might throw out some "why am I bad if I'm so good" denial vids for some of you to rip apart if I can make the audio less cringey.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I punched a Genji the second he was done with his ult call out and he made a crater in the wall and I was happy.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpdY8eMwjZ8

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Did they change it so Bastion can move and repair himself at the same time? Because poo poo, Bastion is god tier now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they did that ages ago. along with that, bastion also has 20% passive damage reduction in tank and sentry form now (tho he doesn't get armor in tank form anymore so he's actually squishier than before), he has an extra 100 shots in sentry form, and he can no longer headshot in sentry form. also his recon gun does 20 damage per shot (up from 16 iirc) and has 25 shots before needing to reload (up from like 20)

he's still bad tho

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Did they change it so Bastion can move and repair himself at the same time? Because poo poo, Bastion is god tier now.

They did but he's still a character who has to be stationary to get the most use out of so he's only a little bit better than he was before.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

headcase posted:

I punched a Genji the second he was done with his ult call out and he made a crater in the wall and I was happy.

this is what's best about Doomfist. Punching Genjis in the jaw. especially if you've just come off a round of guilt healing as Lucio and you die every time the instant you hear the Genji-Bark. soothes the salt. wind up and there goes the ninja, never even saw it coming.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Funniest thing about going against doomfist is hearing his ult, tossing a translocator away from him and bait it out. Then hack him when he lands and laugh as he's horrendously out of position.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Been like that for a while now and lol, no, he isn't.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
If you base your tier list on quick play performance, he totally is. He's right up there with Torbjorn and Symmetra.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Enallyniv posted:

If you base your tier list on quick play performance, he totally is. He's right up there with Torbjorn and Symmetra.

I won a masters game on numbani by placing torbs turret in the middle of the point during the last fight. The enemy team "THAT'S SUCH A BALLSY PLACEMENT I NEVER EXPECTED THAT".

Really dude? I just chucked it down because it was off of cooldown and I figured the extra damage couldn't hurt, lol

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Gotta keep the high ranks on their toes, remind them that the little league cheese tactics work just fine when nobody's ready for them.

Related: Orisa/Rein + Torb/Bastion in the window in Horizon's point A is basically an impenetrable meat grinder in QP when everyone's just running around on their own trying to get sick POTGs.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Is there really anything one can do as zenyatta, aside from popping your ult, when doomfist decides "Hey Zen, I'm gonna ult, time for you to die!!"

So far the best I can hope for is a friendly Zarya being super-on-the-ball, but that's about it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Guigui posted:

Is there really anything one can do as zenyatta, aside from popping your ult, when doomfist decides "Hey Zen, I'm gonna ult, time for you to die!!"

So far the best I can hope for is a friendly Zarya being super-on-the-ball, but that's about it.
This is a good point. I charge my ult about as fast as enemy doomfists so its more or less going to be there as a panic button, but when if ever should you try to facetank his ult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Guigui posted:

Yeah, i've been practising my Zarya (not good enough with her yet) and if doomfist hasn't used his ult in a while, i'll try and hold a bubble for my supports.

wit posted:

This is a good point. I charge my ult about as fast as enemy doomfists so its more or less going to be there as a panic button, but when if ever should you try to facetank his ult?

There's this cool thing you can do with Zarya in ragards to D.va bombs, Riptires, Rein shatters and Doomfist ults, which is get as close to it as you can and hit your bubble.

The closer you are to it, the wider the "safe area" is behind you. I've done this a few times and saved my whole team who thought they were hosed because i've literally hugged D.va's bomb.