Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baronjutter posted:

These idiot crusty train hobos insanely dangerous video is actually giving me some really useful angles and close ups for my model train hobby thank you.

Hah! My exact thought when watching this was 'Man, train-bros could get a ton of excellent reference out of this video."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I just saw this, pretty drat stupid. I would have expected more from any plant operator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUrC2u_Nsc

And using a pipe wrench on a valve stem? Come on....

I bet it was something simple like a busted cotter pin attaching the hand wheel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWkcuR0adeI
This other is pretty drat stupid too.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 5, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

using pipe wrenches on valve stemps is a pretty normal thing on lovely rental tanks with all the valve handles missing. on small 4 inch valves and stuff at least.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 5, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anta posted:

Crossposting this from the Cold War thread.

It's probably a dummy in the hammock.

It could also be CGI. There's a computer animation school in Montreal and one of the projects is to try and make a video which will go viral online and they create videos just like this every year. They were the source of the eagle snatches child in park video from a few years ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It could also be CGI. There's a computer animation school in Montreal and one of the projects is to try and make a video which will go viral online and they create videos just like this every year. They were the source of the eagle snatches child in park video from a few years ago.

quote:

Normand Archambault, Loïc Mireault and Félix Marquis-Poulin, students at Centre NAD, have come forward to claim responsibility for the overnight sensation.

The video "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid in Montreal" shows a large bird swooping down from the sky above Mont Royal Park and pick up a child with its talons. The bird travels several metres before dropping the toddler and flying away.

The camera then zooms in on the child, who is crying but seems to be uninjured.

The video garnered over five million views in one day.

Archambault said his team came up with the perfect equation to get people to talk about their work.

"We brainstormed some ideas of what is viral online," said Archambault. "Everything that is animal related and baby related are super popular so we tried to bring both together and make something extraordinary that wouldn't happen every day."

The video took the students 400 hours to create.

The school grades the project according to the amount of views each video receives. Videos that exceed 100,000 views get a perfect score.

hahahhahah

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

panascope posted:

Take a peek at this beauty, part of the roof structure of the Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta:

Was this inspired by someone with children who keep random Lego pieces laying around?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Possibly the roof structure was designed via genetic algorithm?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Considering the entire building is bugfuck insanity in glass and steel...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

missing hands + ring

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Prav posted:

missing hands + ring

That's because they collapsed in February.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Prav posted:

missing hands + ring

http://i.imgur.com/O3Hb2a9.mp4

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Literally just snorted laughing.
:discourse: :five:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Prav posted:

missing hands + ring

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This seems rad as hell but potentially lethal

https://instagram.com/p/BXSYatzAMj2/

Concrete skate pool on a patio deck (with built in fire pit).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.king5.com/news/local/hanford/tests-show-hanford-workers-inhaled-radioactive-plutonium/461574180

quote:

On June 8 approximately 350 Hanford workers were ordered to “take cover” after alarms designed to detect elevated levels of airborne radioactive contamination went off. It was quickly determined that radioactive particles had been swept out of a containment zone at the plutonium finishing plant (PFP) demolition site. The work is considered the most hazardous demolition project on the entire nuclear reservation.

At the time Hanford officials called the safety measure “precautionary.” Officials from the U.S. Dept. of Energy, which owns Hanford, and the contractor in charge of the demolition, CH2M Hill, downplayed the seriousness of the event with statements including, it appeared “workers were not at risk”, “(the alarm went off) in an area where contamination is expected” and there was “no evidence radioactive particles had been inhaled” by anyone.

The KING 5 Investigators have discovered those statements are incorrect. An internal CH2M Hill email sent to their employees on July 21 was obtained by KING. It states that 301 (test kits) have been issued to employees and of the first 65 workers tested, a “small number of employees” showed positive results for “internal exposures” (by radioactive plutonium).

Sources tell KING the “small number of employees” is twelve. Twelve people out of 65 is 20 percent. Still outstanding are 236 tests.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hailthefish posted:

That looks like one of those giant flowers that smells of rotten meat.

Raflesia or something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hailthefish posted:

Are those "pie wedges" on gimbals to close off the roof for weather? If so, that's pretty damned cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Proteus Jones posted:

Are those "pie wedges" on gimbals to close off the roof for weather? If so, that's pretty damned cool.

Looks like it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Proteus Jones posted:

yes, the roof can be opened and closed (for another year or two before it's closed permanently like all other retractable stadium roof designs)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/cIC4tHT.gifv

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I wouldn't work at Hanford for a million dollars a year.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

it is my goal to capture this as my palace after the apocalypse

the roof would be slave-powered of course

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hosed if that will work more than 5 times

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hosed if that will work more than 5 times

It's a Mercedes, so it will work until a week after the warranty expires.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

what is that man doing to his iris?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deteriorata posted:

It's a Mercedes, so it will work until a week after the warranty expires.

Unless you lube it thrice monthly with the patented teutonic Unicorn Grease® such as is required for MB sunroof tracks. poo poo costs more than printer ink.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Three-Phase posted:

I wouldn't work at Hanford for a million dollars a year.

Living near it appears to be a bit of a dicey proposition as well. Lots of long-term health consequences in local families.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm the ceiling tile that got blown up by the displaced air as the cart sailed by.

I almost forgot to remove a necklace with a (civilian) steel dogtag on it. The set-up tech didn't notice it.

I haven't had another since a heart surgeon installed a titanium ring in my left atrium. I know, intellectually, that titanium is non-ferrous. On an instinctual level, however, I harbour a small degree of trepidation about my next trip through the doughnut.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 6, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The magnets in an MRI are more than powerful enough to cause minor inductive heating in a piece of metal placed in the field, ferrous or not. theoretically those induced currents could create reactive fields of their own that would subtly interact with the machine field.

Is your body sensitive enough to detect the small amount of heat and microscopic tugs on the metal parts? Think about that instead.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I love the people in CSB animations

http://i.imgur.com/vRqRs04.mp4

'It's warm. The leak must be near.'

from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiILbGbk8Qk

'Guys, let's poke a worn pipe with a pike while hot fuel is flowing through it. No, we haven't replaced it as we were told ten years ago.'

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 6, 2017

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What would one of those do to the stent in my heart. :magical:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Piggy Smalls posted:

You'd probably be OK as long the tech follows accepted safety guidelines.

http://www.mrisafety.com/SafetyInfov.asp?SafetyInfoID=352

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

I love every single MRI accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOUJP5dFEg

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

boner confessor posted:

yes, the roof can be opened and closed (for another year or two before it's closed permanently like all other retractable stadium roof designs)

Is that actually an issue with retractable roofs? I don't recall any problems with any in North America (Toronto, Seattle, Milwaukee, Houston, Phoenix x2, etc)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I bet the sign on that cart says "do not under any circumstances take this into the MRI room".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Piggy Smalls posted:

According to my research it would be awful and lovely but the choreography would be marvelous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZcmuKsyvzg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CLOSE THE IRIS

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Is that actually an issue with retractable roofs? I don't recall any problems with any in North America (Toronto, Seattle, Milwaukee, Houston, Phoenix x2, etc)

They're large, complex machines that require regular maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

Parties Settle Lawsuit Over Miller Park Roof

quote:

The stadium’s roof has had problems since the ballpark opened in 2001, including loud noises, leaks and faulty mechanical systems. Mitsubishi had signed a contract to build the roof for $46 million.