Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Strategic Tea posted:

There can never be enough reminders that GBS and most of the rest of the forums are weirdo KGB/tankie land and not ordinary political opinions :stare:

Lmbo no they're not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Best of luck to you and your family, fnox. It's great to hear you have a better life ahead of you now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy poo poo. :catstare:

Good luck, and just... wow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thats a freaking incredible story, god

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
That's a tear jerking saga if I've ever seen one. Happy for you.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

fnox posted:

I did make it out, it wasn't easy,

Thank you for the update and for sharing your story with us, hoping for your family.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fnox, do you know if El Hefe is still alive?

fnox
May 19, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

fnox, do you know if El Hefe is still alive?

I don't know. However, he seems to have been quite resourceful, I'm sure he made it out OK. I don't know why he hasn't come back to SA, maybe he got bored of it or had other stuff take over in his life. I don't have any of his personal info, nor do any other venegoons, so we don't know how to contact him to verify his status.

I also have a small update. We've finally bought plane tickets for my parents after they were able to get all the paperwork they needed, they're leaving next week. It cost a small fortune, but we were able to afford it by selling whatever we could sell. They have some friends to stay with in Spain for the time being while they find an apartment, and I'm able to send them monthly payments, enough for them to support themselves while they find new jobs. My father will have to renovate his medical license, which takes up to a year, so he may not be able to find employment for the time being. He will also have to go through the same red tape that I did. I don't know if I can afford visiting them the day they arrive, I may have to wait a couple of weeks.

Somebody asked about my sister in PMs. She's doing very well, she left at around the same time I did for the UK, and has also found full time employment. The reason we're not living together has a lot to do with how I'm completing my degree in Sweden, I couldn't afford tuition in the UK and I couldn't apply for student loans as there is a long term residency requirement.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fnox posted:

I don't know. However, he seems to have been quite resourceful, I'm sure he made it out OK. I don't know why he hasn't come back to SA, maybe he got bored of it or had other stuff take over in his life. I don't have any of his personal info, nor do any other venegoons, so we don't know how to contact him to verify his status.

I also have a small update. We've finally bought plane tickets for my parents after they were able to get all the paperwork they needed, they're leaving next week. It cost a small fortune, but we were able to afford it by selling whatever we could sell. They have some friends to stay with in Spain for the time being while they find an apartment, and I'm able to send them monthly payments, enough for them to support themselves while they find new jobs. My father will have to renovate his medical license, which takes up to a year, so he may not be able to find employment for the time being. He will also have to go through the same red tape that I did. I don't know if I can afford visiting them the day they arrive, I may have to wait a couple of weeks.

Somebody asked about my sister in PMs. She's doing very well, she left at around the same time I did for the UK, and has also found full time employment. The reason we're not living together has a lot to do with how I'm completing my degree in Sweden, I couldn't afford tuition in the UK and I couldn't apply for student loans as there is a long term residency requirement.

That's awesome dude :unsmith: you're a good guy

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

iirc the tank part of tankies is a reference to the tanks in moscow, specifically in that tankies think the ussr made a mistake when they didnt use them to clear red square in 1991

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's awesome dude :unsmith: you're a good guy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Former DILF posted:

iirc the tank part of tankies is a reference to the tanks in moscow, specifically in that tankies think the ussr made a mistake when they didnt use them to clear red square in 1991

It's about the Hungarian revolution of 1956, which was when Western Communists ended their relative unity and solidarity and splintered between Soviet sympathizers who were happy "to see the tanks rolling through Budapest" and autonomous Communist factions that renounced ties to Moscow over Russian imperialism.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad you made it out of Venezuela fnox :)

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I really wanted to go to Venezuela for a long holiday then read fnox's thread back when it was posted and decided I couldn't do it and feel okay about it. drat you fnox (but also thanks, and well done)!

fnox
May 19, 2013

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I really wanted to go to Venezuela for a long holiday then read fnox's thread back when it was posted and decided I couldn't do it and feel okay about it. drat you fnox (but also thanks, and well done)!

You shouldn't go to Venezuela, not because it would make me feel bad, but because it is an incredibly dangerous country. It is very likely that you will be robbed, kidnapped, detained or worse. Caracas is literally the most dangerous city in the planet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fnox posted:

I did make it out, it wasn't easy, seeing how I ended up entirely on my own in Sweden with very little money and basically no chance for a do-over. There were a lot of things that people didn't understand when I made the thread (Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough), first, how I really wanted to emigrate somewhere legally, because if I were to make a break for any country I wouldn't really have had any chance to prosper and actually get to settle permanently, and second of all, just how expensive the actual journey was for me. There are very few flights out of Venezuela that are less than a thousand dollars, and I had to get a round trip despite not needing it, because that's usually why people get sent back at the Venezuelan customs. I don't think I also made it clear just how desperate the situation was for me in Venezuela, each member of my family was spending hours queuing up for a single carton of milk, I was getting robbed constantly, all of the money that I had saved in bolivares ended up vanishing to inflation, food got increasingly harder to find, and the university I attended got shut down for well over a semester due to lack of funds. I didn't have a future in Venezuela, all I could have done there was hope that the poo poo I had didn't break, because then I couldn't replace it, and that I wouldn't get sick, because it would have died before being able to find medicine.

I was very, very lucky to have ran into people that were willing to help me the very same day I arrived to the small Swedish town I was going to stay in. I didn't even have a bed to sleep on after 30 hours of travel, and they helped me sort that out. Somebody that I had met online (not a goon) actually went out of his way to drive all the way to my town and give me a sort of care package full of traditional Swedish stuff, as well as some other household items that I lacked. A week after I had arrived to Sweden I set out to the UK (The country I have dual citizenship from) to get my legal status settled, and apply for a EHIC card which I needed to declare my resident status in Sweden, this ended up being more convoluted than necessary and ended up costing me about half of my remaining funds. After all that red tape was sorted through though, I was able to normalise my status in Sweden. Having recently been admitted to the emergency room at my local hospital after coming down with peritonitis, I have to say that all the steps I took towards acquiring residency status was well worth it, as I didn't have to pay a penny for my treatment, such an illness would have likely killed me had I been still living in Venezuela.

It's been a year now. I've now successfully transferred my Venezuelan college grades to the Swedish system so I got to skip ahead a bit after completing year 1 of my undergraduate degree, I now have a job in Sweden as a programmer which pays well enough for me to be able to send money home and assist my parents in leaving themselves (Which was the second part of my plan), and I'm steadily working towards learning more of the language so that I can integrate further into society. I feel like I beat the odds, I basically did a Hail Mary and it paid off. It's been a very radical change in my life, but I don't regret the decisions I took; in retrospective it becomes apparent that had I not left when I did, I would have been stuck in Venezuela for the rest of my life. I don't know if I'll ever return, frankly that seems to be very unlikely as the situation in the country has deteriorated further, but at least I'm happy to be where I am.

Amazing, glad you escaped

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Such a cool story. I had a coworker that managed to escape from Cuba to the US by managing to get accepted to Canadian schooling and driving across the border.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I actually talked to Caro on facebook and bought him a gift certificate for an account, but he hasn't shown up. Last I heard he was denied government benefits because he committed a crime by going over to Syria and fighting and was homeless.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Watch the US kill him from neglect.

Freedom!

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I have said it before and will say it again, make Caro mod of D&D.

Also someone make a patreon or something for Caro because I am, genuinely, just glad he's alive.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

wyntyr posted:

I have said it before and will say it again, make Caro mod of D&D.

Also someone make a patreon or something for Caro because I am, genuinely, just glad he's alive.

A patreon seems a bit much, can't we just FedEx him a sandwich or something?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ugh its Troika posted:

I actually talked to Caro on facebook and bought him a gift certificate for an account, but he hasn't shown up. Last I heard he was denied government benefits because he committed a crime by going over to Syria and fighting and was homeless.

The US abandons another one of its veterans. smdh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tardcore posted:

The US abandons another one of its veterans. smdh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgMdGXjdeE

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

UWBW posted:

A patreon seems a bit much, can't we just FedEx him a sandwich or something?

Let's get some money together to buy him pants

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ugh its Troika posted:

He was homeless before he went to Syria anyway. Back to square one.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Let's get some money together to buy him pants

Lol

Seriously though don't give Caro money you retards he's essentially a crazy war criminal regardless of how entertaining his saga is

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lol

Seriously though don't give Caro money you retards he's essentially a crazy war criminal regardless of how entertaining his saga is

Agreed, you all know goddamn well he'll use whatever money you give him to fly to another warzone and pretend he's a dual class medic/sniper. Probably Venezuela this time.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I think we should give him money to open up a hotdog stand.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I think we should give him money to open up a hotdog stand.

They're Conflict Hotdogs, Marie

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lol

What Caro did is no more or less wrong than what any soldier does, though :shrug:

He may be a crazy "war criminal", but he's our crazy war criminal

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wyntyr posted:

What Caro did is no more or less wrong than what any soldier does, though :shrug:

He may be a crazy "war criminal", but he's our crazy war criminal

Er regardless of what you think of the military their soldiers and medics usually have been trained in their fields and have an excuse to be there. Similar to how the police in America are questionable at best but I still don't want insane dudes running around shooting people to satisfy their delusions and I wouldn't support them with a patreon

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can we mail him bees instead?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

was it caro where after he got back, some goons tried telling his family he needs help but the family blew them off? like the responses given by the family were all code phrases for how they were going to continue behaving in a codependent/enabling way toward him

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Er regardless of what you think of the military their soldiers and medics usually have been trained in their fields and have an excuse to be there. Similar to how the police in America are questionable at best but I still don't want insane dudes running around shooting people to satisfy their delusions and I wouldn't support them with a patreon

Caro had about as much excuse to be in Libya as America had to be in Iraq though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tardcore posted:

Caro had about as much excuse to be in Libya as America had to be in Iraq though.

I mean yeah but it's not like I was donating money to George bush or anything

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lmbo no they're not

username / post combo

Also good poo poo fnox - I remember the original thread in GBS in 2015, I'm glad you made it out OK. Viva la bolivarian revolucion or whatever the gently caress, I'm glad you're ok :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tardcore posted:

So ya dont donate to either?

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
OH MY GOD GO TO THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY

CSPAM IRON CHEF

It's THE best thread on the forums right now imvho

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

du -hast posted:

CSPAM IRON CHEF

Not had a thread make me gag for quite a while. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

du -hast posted:

CSPAM IRON CHEF

incredible...