Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Isn't teak hard on knife edges? It's full of silica and I always heard that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guess as long as we're sort of talking about the topic, I think maybe it might be time for a new cutting board. Suggestions? Wood ones look fancy but if I have to feed them a bunch of oil maybe it'd be easier just to get one of those plastic or foam ones that they sell at the restaurant supply store? Has anyone ever bought an Epicurean brand cutting board? Those look pretty cheap and small, which is nice. Some day I probably want to buy a bigass pretty board but right now I'm sharing a small apartment with a few other people so it would be nice to have a relatively small, hardy board I could leave sitting out without taking up too much space.

If money is an issue, just buy cheap wooden ones from the store: I have a few nicer chopping boards supplemented with three or four from Tesco that cost £2 each, they're fine for what you're looking for.

And I don't oil my chopping boards with gallon jugs of oil, they've lasted for a few years now without any input from me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there general math to estimate how much of a given nutrient gets absorbed by meat that's marinated? IE (made up numbers) soy sauce has 1 gram of sodium per 15 ml, you marinate a pound of chicken in 600 ml of soy sauce, how much of that 40 g of sodium remains in the chicken once you drain it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Almost none of it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Javid posted:

Is there general math to estimate how much of a given nutrient gets absorbed by meat that's marinated? IE (made up numbers) soy sauce has 1 gram of sodium per 15 ml, you marinate a pound of chicken in 600 ml of soy sauce, how much of that 40 g of sodium remains in the chicken once you drain it?
Sodium is more or less the only thing that will diffuse into meat in any meaningful quantity, and it'll top out at between 2-4 g/kg (depending on type of meat, specific cut, and so on). For shortish (e.g. overnight or less) brining the majority of the diffusion is actually going to happen during cooking---the brining itself is just depositing a shitload of sodium on the surface with comparatively little penetration into the meat itself.

Virtually nothing else (except water) will diffuse throughout the tissue unless it's been jaccarded or something like that. That's not to say you shouldn't add other stuff to a brine or marinade, just keep in mind that you're basically just slathering seasonings on the surface rather than diffusing them throughout the tissue.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Chemmy posted:

Well, gently caress.

I imagine that I can't return it now that it's oiled...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

very yes, I didn't wanna break dude's heart though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I like cheap bamboo cutting boards, the current set I bought at Job Lots (a chain of close-out stores in MA).

They do need oil though, or else they dry out and snap apart. How much oil they need depends on how much you wash them, though. If regularly run them through the dish washer (which I don't do), you'll need to oil them twice a month.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maple is nice

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sani tuff for life.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm sous viding chicken legs and want to finish them on the grill the next day to crisp the skin up a bit. Should I bring them to room temperature before grilling or put them on cold? Anything else to know?

Still wondering.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Still wondering.

I'd put them on cold, it will give you some margin for error when trying ti crisp the skin. Make sure your grill is really hot.

fake edit: and dry them off really well before they go on

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If the goal is just to crisp the skin, id pan fry it or deep fry it, tbh. grilling would char pretty easily.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I like cheap bamboo cutting boards, the current set I bought at Job Lots (a chain of close-out stores in MA).

They do need oil though, or else they dry out and snap apart. How much oil they need depends on how much you wash them, though. If regularly run them through the dish washer (which I don't do), you'll need to oil them twice a month.

I can run my Ikea bamboo cutting boards in the dishwasher as long as I oil em??

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DekeThornton posted:

I can run my Ikea bamboo cutting boards in the dishwasher as long as I oil em??

you can but you're going to shorten the lifespan of them

just wash and air dry is pretty good imo

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
That is what I usully do, but with limited kitchen space using the dishwasher would be nice occasionally.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've been decided that teak being less than ideal isn't something I want to be upset about, since I can't return the board now that it's oiled.

My Shun has lifetime free sharpening, and my other knives are of the "$100 for a full set from Target" variety, so I'm not too worried.

Plus the board itself will probably last longer than me, so that's a plus right?

Silver linings and all that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GrAviTy84 posted:

If the goal is just to crisp the skin, id pan fry it or deep fry it, tbh. grilling would char pretty easily.

I'm grilling some sides for a party outside, so it's all-grill here.

What temperature should they be at inside just for eating? They're already cooked.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I've been decided that teak being less than ideal isn't something I want to be upset about, since I can't return the board now that it's oiled.

My Shun has lifetime free sharpening, and my other knives are of the "$100 for a full set from Target" variety, so I'm not too worried.

Plus the board itself will probably last longer than me, so that's a plus right?

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Steel your knives every time you use them. That cutting board is absolutely beautiful, I'd be willing to put up with any dulling it caused.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Annath posted:

yeah in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small issue, especially because it's end grain. just enjoy it. unless you're a gigantic blade sperglord with 15 water stones that has a weekly ritual or something you probably wont even notice the dulling.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm grilling some sides for a party outside, so it's all-grill here.

What temperature should they be at inside just for eating? They're already cooked.

same temp you puddled at

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Annath posted:

This is a great opportunity to learn to sharpen your knives. Practice on the Target ones until you're really good at it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Steel your knives every time you use them. That cutting board is absolutely beautiful, I'd be willing to put up with any dulling it caused.

Thanks! It's actually a Mario Batali partnership with Madeira. He and Gordon Ramsay are pretty much the only "celebrity" chefs who's thoughts and products I trust, largely because you hardly ever see either of them pushing a product. It's always just them doing their craft well.

Chemmy posted:

This is a great opportunity to learn to sharpen your knives. Practice on the Target ones until you're really good at it.

Any suggestions on tools for sharpening? I've literally never done it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Annath posted:

Any suggestions on tools for sharpening? I've literally never done it.

edge pros are pretty fool proof but blade nerdlords say there's no finesse or art to it, which is true, but if you just want utilitarian, it's fine. Other than that, japanese waterstones. You can get by with just one ~1k grit. I have a bester 1200 grit waterstone that is fantastic. You can do polishes up to higher grits but at somepoint you're polishing away all the blade "bite" which can feel weird when cutting. lower grits are good for chip repairs but if you had something that bad I'd just send it to shun since you have the lifetime thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

GrAviTy84 posted:

edge pros are pretty fool proof but blade nerdlords say there's no finesse or art to it, which is true, but if you just want utilitarian, it's fine. Other than that, japanese waterstones. You can get by with just one ~1k grit. I have a bester 1200 grit waterstone that is fantastic. You can do polishes up to higher grits but at somepoint you're polishing away all the blade "bite" which can feel weird when cutting. lower grits are good for chip repairs but if you had something that bad I'd just send it to shun since you have the lifetime thing.

Wetstones require a LOT of practice to avoid ruining the blade.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Uncle w Benefits posted:

not really... it's like anything else, read about it, watch a few things, learn about it, do it with a lovely knife, dull that knife, try again, dull it again, try it again, do it with your nice thing but hella slowly. assuming dude has the lifetime sharpening thing and is still asking about how to sharpen, it sounds like they're willing to put in the effort.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Uncle w Benefits posted:

That's an exaggeration. Patience, a few YouTube's and if you're nervous a fibrox to practice on and you'll be good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That Burrfection guy on Youtube is pretty relaxing to watch, like the Bob Ross of knife sharpening

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Sextro posted:

That's an exaggeration. Patience, a few YouTube's and if you're nervous a fibrox to practice on and you'll be good.

Not at all. If you can't lock your wrist at a perfect 35* you'll get a lovely edge that is inconsistent. Takes waaaaaay too much effort and practice to use those w/o ruining the knife.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

35 degrees is so loving blunt, lol

it's not that hard, the quarter trick is pretty newbie friendly.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Whetstones are hard as hell to learn on. Either the edge pro or whatever system that looks everything together or, what I use, a SpyderCo Sharpmaker. It's pretty affordable and foolproof.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I sharpen all my knives at 90 degrees. By hand.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use an Edge Faux and it's really easy to use, and it's only like $50 even if you get the other attachments from CKTG (angle cube and magnets to hold the knife, mainly) - $30 if you can do without that stuff. Extra stones can get expensive, but you don't have to buy the $600 Chosera set if you don't want to.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, good crispy skin while grilling is tricky. Dry outside and inside the skin, keep the temps low enough to avoid excessive char but high enough to avoid flab. Far easier to fry it up.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

What am I looking at here?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LongSack posted:

A guided sharpening system like the Edge Pro, I'm not sure which one it is. The knife blade gets put in the clamp and the sharpening stone gets clamped in the holder on the rod assembly, you can adjust the height of the rod and thereby the angle at which the stone rubs against the edge of the knife. I'm guessing the clamp for the knife rotates so you can keep the same angle when you move from one side of the knife to the other.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

LongSack posted:

Knife spergin'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am looking for some books to read. I realized my knowledge of food is broad but not deep enough, and want to get into real detail on a few cuisines and learn more. I'm specifically looking for Japanese, Greek, Italian, and Mexican. I don't know where to start with this. I want to learn about regional foods and why things are done rather than just what to do. Like for Japanese food, I make a lot of everyday stuff and am good at it but I want to be able to put together stuff nobody's ever heard of unless they lived there or are giant nerds like me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

I am looking for some books to read. I realized my knowledge of food is broad but not deep enough, and want to get into real detail on a few cuisines and learn more. I'm specifically looking for Japanese, Greek, Italian, and Mexican. I don't know where to start with this. I want to learn about regional foods and why things are done rather than just what to do. Like for Japanese food, I make a lot of everyday stuff and am good at it but I want to be able to put together stuff nobody's ever heard of unless they lived there or are giant nerds like me.
Authentic Mexican by Bayless is not a bad place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

:same:

And also the case for everyone that I know who has a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Is there a more perfect pan?

Yeah, the 12", because it means more crispy crust-bits on my cornbread than the deeper cake I get in a 10". :v: