Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The difference between Neo-Liberal/Centrist incrementalism and actual incrementalism is that Neo-Liberal/Centrist incrementalism starts at the compromise and cedes ground from there, whereas actual incrementalism of the left starts from the ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's pretty safe to say you shouldn't vote for the Dems if you want a revolution. Arguing that they should be is pointless.

That's a good reason for voting Trump in 2020 or third party.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

But you accept you'd be okay for him running for presidential nomination, even if you wouldn't vote for him?

I can't exactly do anything to stop him from running, aside from vote against him in a primary. Where are you going with this?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kokoro Wish posted:

The difference between Neo-Liberal incrementalism and actual incrementalism is that Neo-Liberal incrementalism starts at the compromise and cedes ground from there, whereas actual incrementalism of the left starts from the ideal.

The con is in pretending today's dictates limit tomorrow's goals.

Neo-Liberal Incrementalism: Long-term goals must be compatible with today's sausage-making -- or -- If you're left wing, don't have goals.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 6, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sneakster posted:

Clinton is synonymous with 90s prosperity for old white people in ways that Booker/Harris/Deval aren't, and cannot become.

I firmly believe this is a large reason why Clinton even did as "well" as she did. God only knows how poorly she would have done if she didn't have this association working for her. I can't count the number of baby boomers (or gen X-ers) who supported her on the basis of thinking she'd do "whatever Bill Clinton did to make the 90's good."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

shrike82 posted:

It's pretty safe to say you shouldn't vote for the Dems if you want a revolution. Arguing that they should be is pointless.

That's a good reason for voting Trump in 2020 or third party.

:wrong:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can't wait to hear from WJ in 2020 why a vote for Goldman Booker is the only moral choice

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

WampaLord posted:

I can't exactly do anything to stop him from running, aside from vote against him in a primary. Where are you going with this?

He's only one year younger than Bernie. Alot of people only seem to use the age argument for Sanders when they'd be okay with equally as old alternatives.

By the way, this isn't a personal attack on you or anything, I'm just making a point.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 6, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

He's only one year younger than Bernie. Alot of people only seem to use the age argument for Sanders.

The age argument is for the voters to decide, ultimately. As long as he's polling as well as he was in 2016, I have no problem with Old Bernie.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

shrike82 posted:

I can't wait to hear from WJ in 2020 why a vote for Goldman Booker is the only moral choice

there's no such thing as ethical voting under capitalism

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the moral choice is to precommit yourself to voting for the democrat should the 2020 elections be held, and then working to bring about events such that they aren't because the revolution happened beforehand

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah I'll vote for Sanders if he makes it, Trump over a neolib like Booker or Harris.

Funny how people like WJ are so obsessed with being a Dem toady that they want people to recommit to the Dems. Like what kind of trauma did you suffer to have to give such unconditional support to the centrists.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

I firmly believe this is a large reason why Clinton even did as "well" as she did. God only knows how poorly she would have done if she didn't have this association working for her. I can't count the number of baby boomers (or gen X-ers) who supported her on the basis of thinking she'd do "whatever Bill Clinton did to make the 90's good."
I remember going over her entire senate career back in 2008 looking for some reason to support her. Literally her entire political life is fluff, graft, and pandering. Celebrity is the only asset she has as a candidate.

In a sane society, the fact that she conducted state business as a private entity should be a partisan scandal like Cheney and his black berry, that the bar is set so low it may as well be 6 feet underground is depressing. We literally a mafia owned celebrity retard openly monetizing the presidency as a direct result of citizens united. Decorum used to at least make it inappropriate to be brazenly criminal in public.

Kokoro Wish posted:

He's only one year younger than Bernie. Alot of people only seem to use the age argument for Sanders when they'd be okay with equally as old alternatives.

By the way, this isn't a personal attack on you or anything, I'm just making a point.
Frightening thing about Sanders is that he's the only viable candidate that isn't a corncob, and after he dies, I don't see how any non-corncob gets elected due to capital concentration and Citizens United, unless we can trust president Dr Phil to help America start the road to recovery.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the moral choice is to precommit yourself to voting for the democrat should the 2020 elections be held, and then working to bring about events such that they aren't because the revolution happened beforehand

Yeah precommit to the people who are going to lead the counterrevolution, great idea idiot.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The problem with democrats isn't that they are weakly for incrementalism. It's that they have several "Nixon to China" moments where they give in on progressive issues in the name of a compromise that never comes. Obama deported more people than anyone else in history, cut more financial aid to students at HBCUs than anyone in history, and did all that with minimal push back from his party. In fact, the deportation data was actually bandied about as a good thing during 2016.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he also had a chance to restructure the financial system and punish the people that destroyed the economy and didn't.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jizz Festival posted:

Yeah precommit to the people who are going to lead the counterrevolution, great idea idiot.

the entire federal government is going to lead the counterrevolution

the revolution won't happen at the ballot box - at least not via elections for federal elected officials

hell, with dems in disarray, voting for centrist neolib shitlords will make the federal government more ripe to be cast aside

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

joepinetree posted:

The problem with democrats isn't that they are weakly for incrementalism. It's that they have several "Nixon to China" moments where they give in on progressive issues in the name of a compromise that never comes. Obama deported more people than anyone else in history, cut more financial aid to students at HBCUs than anyone in history, and did all that with minimal push back from his party. In fact, the deportation data was actually bandied about as a good thing during 2016.
The DLC is so far right wing economically that "not murdering everyone" with 15% supported legislation takes massive protest and clever maneuvers from people with nothing to lose and barely making it because 400 donors own the GOP and Steve Wynn personally Dean Heller. [Edit: I meant personally harassed Heller, but on retrospect own, like a male prostitute on a leash is a much more accurate mental image.]

In the TVIV Apocalypse thread, arguing about Trump policy, is considered a distraction, from the retard TV special. This is the level of discourse in Trumps America: "I can't follow along more than 2 sentences and don't care about boring stuff, I wanna see the monkey go boom boom."

Groovelord Neato posted:

he also had a chance to restructure the financial system and punish the people that destroyed the economy and didn't.
He was in their pocket since the primary, it turns out that who pays for campaigns actually matters

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 6, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he could've turned on them once he was elected. fdr was a traitor his class.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the entire federal government is going to lead the counterrevolution

the revolution won't happen at the ballot box - at least not via elections for federal elected officials

hell, with dems in disarray, voting for centrist neolib shitlords will make the federal government more ripe to be cast aside

And the mask slips yet again as you advocate moronic 11th dimensional chess strategies like the stupid liberal you are.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just remember all the times WJ and his ilk posted "post your map" last year when he speaks

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jizz Festival posted:

And the mask slips yet again as you advocate moronic 11th dimensional chess strategies like the stupid liberal you are.

It's not a chess strategy - the Democrats will simply do less damage than the Republicans during the collapse of late capitalism that we're going through. I never once said they're going to be capable of staving off the collapse.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's not a chess strategy - the Democrats will simply do less damage than the Republicans during the collapse of late capitalism that we're going through. I never once said they're going to be capable of staving off the collapse.
Lincoln was penpals with Marx much like how Trump is penpals with Caitlyn Jenner. Makes u think.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

he could've turned on them once he was elected. fdr was a traitor his class.

FDR was just a forward looking capitalist who saw a red future for the united states and unlimited labor strife if they didn't rein in the excesses of the past.

Keep in mind, old GOP fogies like Winthrop Rockefeller ran on platforms in the 60s like a higher minimum wage and universal kindergarden. That's how far right this country has shifted since then

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a republican once said:

quote:

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The price of military gear has actually gone way above inflation so the same math today would look even more obscene.

Also it's mainly the result of triumphant liberalism getting victory disease as the USSR faltered.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

a republican once said:
A Republican at a time when they represented wealthy urban interests, which is now the Democrats.

The Republicans now represent wealthy rural interests like the two billionaires in Kentucky. Sheldon Adelson owns all the media of Nevada. Steve Wynn single handedly twisted Heller's arm despite the wishes of the governor. A single billionaire had more control over a senator than his own governor of the same party that he had pledged fealty to, over an issue that that the entire voter base was against and would literally murder thousands and thousands of his own constituency of a party that is going to have 70% of the senate as the country urbanizes.

GOP agenda is defined by 400 people, which is what, ~8 people per state? (assuming evenly distributed, which is doubtful). A group of insatiable psychopaths the size of a modern high-school dictate the policy. Giving up on the federal government is probably for the best in terms of having realistic expectations. Everything leftists want is already part of NYC, everyone that has money, power, or choices has or is fleeing the portions of the country that would most benefit from federal policy, but has the least democratic influence.

If you want a modern quality of life, you have to go to the first world part of the country.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 6, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Michigan Democratic senators cave to Trump on powerful judicial appointment

quote:

Senators Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and Gary Peters (D-MI) capitulated to Donald Trump’s effort to place a conservative former clerk to Justice Antonin Scalia on a powerful court of appeals. Stabenow and Peters briefly refused to return a “blue slip,” a procedural formality that prevented the nomination of Justice Joan Larsen to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit from moving forward. They have now reportedly given up their resistance.
During the Obama administration, many Republican senators used the blue slip process aggressively to prevent President Obama from filling judicial vacancies. Many liberals pressured Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), then the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, to abandon the blue slip process to allow Obama’s nominees to be confirmed. Leahy rebuffed these efforts.

lmao

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

lmao

Time for some Purges.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

shrike82 posted:

lmao
A guy I know on facebook clerked for Scalia and is a narcisstic fitness obsessed dumbass who posts pictures of his family insofar as to show of his pump. He posted a bunch of tacky daily "exercising at the office" videos "in support of Troops lost to suicide". I asked him why not actually support leaving pointless military entanglements. He deleted my post. I posted a follow up obviously sarcastic compliment that he left up.

True story.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

Time for some Purges.

Starting with the questionable trad cath allies.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jizz Festival posted:

Starting with the questionable trad cath allies.

LOL, yes I am the bad guy.I am the one rooting for Hillary and her slaves, for Kamalha and her defence of police acting like thieves, for Corey and his prostituting himself for wall street, for Zuck and his reptilian brotherhood. I am the one who just agreed to put people in power who would destroy voting rights.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 6, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

maybe the democrats... are a waste :thunk:

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

LOL, yes I am the bad guy.I am the one rooting for Hillary and her slaves, for Kamalha and her defence of police acting like thieves, for Corey and his prostituting himself for wall street, for Zuck and his reptilian brotherhood. I am the one who just agreed to put people in power who would destroy voting rights.

Why wouldn't you root for Hillary's slaves? The gently caress is wrong with you?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also I'm just ribbing you. Although I do think your religious beliefs are seriously stupid and I never want your kind anywhere near power.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
:stare: I think I broke the TV.

I'm starting to think the true danger of Trump is that he's an Archie Bunker figure people can point and laugh at because he's so stupid its silly, but he represents the ugliest truth about the audience laughing at him.

He's taking off the mask for middle america. Christ, no wonder the Democrats are a waste.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jizz Festival posted:

Also I'm just ribbing you. Although I do think your religious beliefs are seriously stupid and I never want your kind anywhere near power.

lol
Truly the enlightened will rule when this sort gets power.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sneakster posted:

:stare: I think I broke the TV.

I'm starting to think the true danger of Trump is that he's an Archie Bunker figure people can point and laugh at because he's so stupid its silly, but he represents the ugliest truth about the audience laughing at him.

He's taking off the mask for middle america. Christ, no wonder the Democrats are a waste.

I've mentioned that Trump was a dangerously good candidate, not only having experience on reality TV and rightly figuring that the elections are the biggest, ugliest reality TV show of them all, but he basically stole Obama's campaign strategy in many ways (and a smart move, given it was a successful one). While Hillary was aloof and self-obsessed, partying with celebrities, ignoring much of the country and being incredibly hostile to the idea of anyone running against her, Trump made his rallies and visits into events like rock concerts, interacted with people, and said all kinds of weird crazy dumb poo poo that was actually interesting to people willing to believe they could read anything they wanted between the lines. His Republican challengers were a gaggle of hobgoblins who couldn't be trusted to hold a piss-up in a brewery, being effortlessly made laughing stocks by a challenger who rightly didn't take them seriously at all.

It isn't exactly a world-class political campaign, but it's the dark mirror of one, which succeeds because everyone else involved is utterly insufferable.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've mentioned that Trump was a dangerously good candidate, not only having experience on reality TV and rightly figuring that the elections are the biggest, ugliest reality TV show of them all, but he basically stole Obama's campaign strategy in many ways (and a smart move, given it was a successful one). While Hillary was aloof and self-obsessed, partying with celebrities, ignoring much of the country and being incredibly hostile to the idea of anyone running against her, Trump made his rallies and visits into events like rock concerts, interacted with people, and said all kinds of weird crazy dumb poo poo that was actually interesting to people willing to believe they could read anything they wanted between the lines. His Republican challengers were a gaggle of hobgoblins who couldn't be trusted to hold a piss-up in a brewery, being effortlessly made laughing stocks by a challenger who rightly didn't take them seriously at all.

It isn't exactly a world-class political campaign, but it's the dark mirror of one, which succeeds because everyone else involved is utterly insufferable.
(I swear I am not trying to spread drama bullshit, not about anyone in particular, but the general dialogue itself)

I'm starting to think liberals would support a nazi over a socialist that didn't support unsustainable ponzi scheme of robbing the poor to support the bourgeois. The ferociousness of liberals the moment their god given right to government subsidized property is questioned is a tad... reactionary. Socialists advocating even the most minor reforms are an existential threat that needs a harsher crackdown on than fascists who respect property rights. Not that my feelings are personally hurt, but I don't think even literal nazis in the history of the forums got that kind of hostility I got for the controversial opinion of saying unsustainable practices shouldn't be sustained.

It's almost like... fascists... get into power.... when.... liberals... suppress... socialists... (for calling into question reforms of unsustainable policies that benefit bourgeois liberals).

The system itself doesn't need reforms, we just need to reign in the excesses of ((crony)) capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I read Gamechanger after this past election and the parallels between Trump and Hussein were there. Both created a movement instead of just a campaign and Abuela had no clue what was about to hit her. But before you say ":qq: bernie had a movement too he woulda won :qq:" Trump's movement was far stronger than Bernie's and once Trump won the GOP bent the knee. Had Bernie actually somehow broken through the Clinton machine she never would have surrendered what was supposedly her final shot at realizing her birthright and Trump would have won 450ev/+10m popular votes, which is what he'll win by if Abuela does run in 2020.

• Locked thread