Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I'd ask what the hell happened to this thread.

But this is actually rather tame, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
FOR THE GLORY OF MANKIND OKAY

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Thank you for putting all this time and energy into playing the series starting from Drakengard because I would never the time to finish anything, especially with 100% runs.

For the Glory to The Dark Id.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm suddenly picturing a Yoko Taro take on WH40K, and I can only imagine it turning out eerily similar to If The Emperor Had A Text-To-Speech Device.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm suddenly picturing a Yoko Taro take on WH40K, and I can only imagine it turning out eerily similar to If The Emperor Had A Text-To-Speech Device.

Do you really, really think it'd end up any other way?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

...! posted:

Accepted by who?

Whom.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I was kind of hoping they'd go for what one poster suggested earlier and have the player just suddenly be at the base without getting any of this because 9S forgot.

Also I'm just now remembering that black boxes are a thing because wow they sure did never get referenced again even once throughout all of Route A.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-rnxuijVjs

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
Biting my tongue....

Hey, what a great update? Did everyone notice how great that update was? It was the tops of the top of the last page, yessiree that update.

I haven't played Persona 5 on account of having no (desire to get a) PS4, so I have a lesser appreciation of the joke, I fear. And Atlus' draconian LP rules mean I haven't even experienced it vicariously through other people in 30-40 minute chunks of terrible gameplay and commentary that ranges from moderately humorous to nail-pullingly painful.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

apocalypticCritic posted:

I haven't played Persona 5 on account of having no (desire to get a) PS4

Well there is a PS3 version of Persona 5 if you have one. Pretty much the same as the ps4 just 720p instead of 1080p.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zoe posted:

Also I'm just now remembering that black boxes are a thing because wow they sure did never get referenced again even once throughout all of Route A.

Black box signals are actually mentioned a few times in Route A when you're either looking for an android or trying to see if one is dead or not.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

havenwaters posted:

Well there is a PS3 version of Persona 5 if you have one. Pretty much the same as the ps4 just 720p instead of 1080p.

I have no (desire to get a) PS3, either.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zoe posted:

nah, one of the drawbacks of it being an LP is that Id cuts out the fact that everytime you do a load screen, the screen is booting up the black box of the body you're currently in

so the game literally reminds people playing about the black box every time they continue a save, die, or use the quick transport

also the 9S search quest is entirely based off of black box signals

they dont use the giant fuckoff explosion, but at the same time, short of Gant, there really isn't any time where it might have been a good thing?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

nah, one of the drawbacks of it being an LP is that Id cuts out the fact that everytime you do a load screen, the screen is booting up the black box of the body you're currently in

so the game literally reminds people playing about the black box every time they continue a save, die, or use the quick transport

also the 9S search quest is entirely based off of black box signals

they dont use the giant fuckoff explosion, but at the same time, short of Gant, there really isn't any time where it might have been a good thing?

Any other side/main quest that talks about searching for yorha androids and their alive/death status refers to black box signals too.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Engel's head sure is stable for a giant robot who's being whacked by its own arm.

Let's see... There's only 2 short scenario where 9S' path separate from 2B in the main story. First is when 9S managed to blow himself from Flooded City all the way to Copied City and got captured. And then during the cult segment, he assists 2B and Pascal using a robot. Did he really able to control machine lifeform in actual gameplay?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Crasical posted:

I legit would really enjoy the ability to deploy struts for my butt and have a chair to sit down in whenever I wanted one. That's such a handy ability.

I originally thought that 2B was straight up shooting the struts out of her rear end cheeks at first, not that she was sitting on a little holo stool.

Took me until route B and seeing 9S sit on it to figure it out.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

apocalypticCritic posted:

I have no (desire to get a) PS3, either.

That's okay. Given a few more months (and a strong enough computer) and you'll be able to emulate it. Game already works on the emulator for the most part.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

havenwaters posted:

That's okay. Given a few more months (and a strong enough computer) and you'll be able to emulate it. Game already works on the emulator for the most part.

There's a PS3 emulator?
:psyduck:
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but someone actually understands the Cell (or however that insane PS3 CPU is called) enough to write a recompiler.
I'll have to bookmark the site for my next PC if and when my old PS3 gives up the ghost.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So glad we're into the second route where Id can do more of his dialogue.

Unfortunately I haven't played P5 so I was wondering if someone was going to explain what song they were singing - so thanks!

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

So glad we're into the second route where Id can do more of his dialogue.

Unfortunately I haven't played P5 so I was wondering if someone was going to explain what song they were singing - so thanks!

It's the regular batlle theme to the game, Last Surprise.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's also a meme so odds are pretty good you're going to hear it at some point or other.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Saagonsa posted:

Black box signals are actually mentioned a few times in Route A when you're either looking for an android or trying to see if one is dead or not.

I'm still not sure what death means to androids given that they have backups even if data isn't transferred.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Geostomp posted:

I'm still not sure what death means to androids given that they have backups even if data isn't transferred.

Docked pay.

And by "pay" I mean allowable time browsing the human archive for cat pictures.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Geostomp posted:

We've been over this. It's the death of your current self that's the issue. Sure, you can die knowing that you just pop back into existence on the bunker, but the you who existed then and there at the moment of death is gone forever.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

I really like the contrast this segment has with Route A. In Route A you're hacking and slashing and doing crazy cutscene stuff that's Metal Gear Rising-ish. In Route B you're nearly dead and fending off basic stubbies as you desperately try to find a way to still provide support.

I thought in route A 9S was just leisurely flying around the outside of the factory when he fucks off after first meeting up with 2B, with 2B doing all the mopping up of machines. Then it turns out apparently "scouting around" actually involves a lot of flying around and killing machines. 9S was just casually slaughtering the air defenses of the factory while 2B stopped to admire the birds, and I found that kind of funny.

I feel like Id is being a little too harsh on our boy Nines. He gets stuff done, even if he usually gets owned doing so.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Omobono posted:

There's a PS3 emulator?
:psyduck:
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but someone actually understands the Cell (or however that insane PS3 CPU is called) enough to write a recompiler.
I'll have to bookmark the site for my next PC if and when my old PS3 gives up the ghost.

Yeah it (rpcs3) finally started making actual progress running commercial games this past year. It's kind of amazing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

InequalityGodzilla posted:

We've been over this. It's the death of your current self that's the issue. Sure, you can die knowing that you just pop back into existence on the bunker, but the you who existed then and there at the moment of death is gone forever.

Okay. Continuity of consciousness and all means backups are more like clones than extra lives.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The difference between YoRHa and the machines is that YoRHa have to manually save and certain spots, and machines have constantly updating auto-saves as long as they're connected to the network.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Okay. Continuity of consciousness and all means backups are more like clones than extra lives.
More or less, yeah.

ZiegeDame posted:

The difference between YoRHa and the machines is that YoRHa have to manually save and certain spots, and machines have constantly updating auto-saves as long as they're connected to the network.
And if a machine is disconnected from the network all its former saves get deleted. Which reminds me. Does the game ever address the possibility of local storage instead of networks? Like, could Adam have shoved a flash drive up his nose and made a backup copy before his ironman run against 2B?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

More or less, yeah.

And if a machine is disconnected from the network all its former saves get deleted. Which reminds me. Does the game ever address the possibility of local storage instead of networks? Like, could Adam have shoved a flash drive up his nose and made a backup copy before his ironman run against 2B?

isn't that kind of how 9S survives at the end there?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Crasical posted:

I legit would really enjoy the ability to deploy struts for my butt and have a chair to sit down in whenever I wanted one. That's such a handy ability.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Every time I see those Black Boxes I think, wow, look at how far Three's sentient murder-cubes have come.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

These look incredibly stupid, and yet I also wish I had them.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Geostomp posted:

I think you can actually feel it as we start Route B. For us, 9S has changed and grown and befriended machines and even saved the world. But for the character, he's back to being his old racist corncob self.

He's lost his connection to us, the player.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

I never said my own grammar was perfect. He wants his typos pointed out so I did. :)

I'll stop the derail now.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Merriam-Webster itself disagrees with you. It is you who are wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Science has gone not quite far enough!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

You forgot the bonus comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm gonna say it right now, god I loving hate this Route. Mostly because playing as 9S is so goddamned boring. I"d rather wail on a dude for a minute or two than just push triangle and kill them.

• Locked thread