Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

being critical of things is okay imo

sure but a lot of them act like its a deathknell for any anime on there and not like, a platform that can reach a much wider audience. a lot of it just comes across as real whiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah but at this point anitwitter has nothing new to say about netflix, while they continue to improve their handling of anime stuff

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i really think we'll get to the point where all their anime stuff is netflix exclusive and doesn't even air on tv and so the point will become moot

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Relin posted:

they should sub old shows that will not make them much money, but are untranslated. excluding little kids shows

This, but also kids shows. Norakuro-kun ftw

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...5B3-op-ed_music

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

one thing that kinda concerns me with netflix/amazon is the lack of physical releases, where there's the potential of a license being lost and no legal recourse for people to obtain a series

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

being one of the best anime ever and still being one of the best selling ones maybe
It's fine. I do wish people would stop making such a big stink about the ending, though.

Parallax posted:

sure but a lot of them act like its a deathknell for any anime on there and not like, a platform that can reach a much wider audience. a lot of it just comes across as real whiny
And if both Fate/Apocrypha and Kakegurui get an additional season to (potentially) wrap up their stories because of that wider audience reach, I'll be so glad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fate is two cour so it should end fine

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax posted:

one thing that kinda concerns me with netflix/amazon is the lack of physical releases, where there's the potential of a license being lost and no legal recourse for people to obtain a series

I recall seeing Amazon selling directly / allowing to sell Scum's Wish on DVD / Blu-Ray? Or did that got kicked in the head too?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Wark Say posted:

I recall seeing Amazon selling directly / allowing to sell Scum's Wish on DVD / Blu-Ray? Or did that got kicked in the head too?

i don't see anything but i could see amazon doing discs on demand for their series, maybe

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parallax posted:

But a lot of the Crunchyroll catalog never get physical releases either.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

But a lot of the Crunchyroll catalog never get physical releases either.

crunchy is putting some stuff out on disc (has that happened yet?) i don't expect every series to get a disc release because that's potentially bad for the market but i wish it was that way

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I hear the LWA subs on Netflix are bad, or something? But anime fans are chronic complainers so can I get an educated opinion on this

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

as opposed the excellent quality subs consistently put out by crunchyroll

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have no idea about the subs but i heard that at least the dub is really good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HellCopter posted:

I hear the LWA subs on Netflix are bad, or something? But anime fans are chronic complainers so can I get an educated opinion on this
They're OK and get the point across.

Though you have to take my opinions with a grain of salt because most of the time, if given the option, I just turn subs off completely nowadays.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
netflix's subs are bad if they don't overlay the subs on every individual monitor reflecting the shot in that one scene in the back half of the show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's going on there, do they think that if it came to the US it would be as big as Power Rangers so they're asking for Power Rangers money?

Maybe because it's such an iconic series in Japan, they're overestimating how much it's worth for a Western audience?

Also I thought Funi had already rescued Eva? Or was that just Rebuild?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe because it's such an iconic series in Japan, they're overestimating how much it's worth for a Western audience?

I think they only have the rebuild movies.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Threads added to OP

quote:

The Irresponsible Galaxy☆Tylor (Musekinin Galaxy☆Tylor)
Seven | ... | ... | Light Novel | Military, Sci-Fi, Space, Comedy, Parody | July 11, 2017
Taking place in a very distant in future, the adventure begins when a boy meets a certain girl. The Pan Galaxy Republic has declined and so have many empires. This resulted to people in the galaxy being scattered. Living in the peaceful side of their world, Banjou, who picks up trashes at the spherical wall met a girl, frozen, in a broken spaceship. There are bad guys who chase her, and thus, the quiet galaxy suddenly became lively. Little did he know that the frozen girl is Goza 168th, the key to decide the destiny of the whole universe. Overcoming hardship, the two embarks on a trip to make the Galaxy Republic alive again. It may be a difficult challenge, but it's alright, let's progress slowly! A comedy of irresponsible galaxy trip begins!
Thread

quote:

Gamers!
Pine Jam | Okamoto, Manabu | ... | Light Novel | Comedy, Romance, School | July 13, 2017
This is a story that revolves around certain students and one hobby. Amano Keita is our lonely protagonist who has a passion for gaming and is friends with Uehara Tasuku, who is secretly a fellow gamer and is someone who believes his life is perfect. We also have Karen Tendou, the club president of the video games club and Chiaki Hoshinomori, who constantly bickers with Keita. This is a story filled with a non-stop sequence of comedy scenes and misunderstandings. Our chaotic romantic comedy now begins!
Thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lwa subs had a couple of mistranslations

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
From what I hear, Netflix is probably the only company that supposedly pay their translators a fair wages. Crunchyroll and others are really really low.

You can take the Netflix translation test here.
https://tests.hermes.nflx.io/

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

psyer posted:

From what I hear, Netflix is probably the only company that supposedly pay their translators a fair wages. Crunchyroll and others are really really low.

You can take the Netflix translation test here.
https://tests.hermes.nflx.io/

quote:

Phase 4 (15 minute limit): This phase shifts away from translation and instead focuses on the technical aspects of subtitling. It consists of 10 video clips with a corresponding question for each clip. These questions will test your knowledge of timing, punctuation, line breaks, etc. If you are having trouble viewing the video in this section, please close out your browser to stop the timer and then review our FAQ for help troubleshooting.

Man, do the translators have to do everything themselves?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Strange Quark posted:

Man, do the translators have to do everything themselves?
i guess we found out why they're paid more

the eva bluray box set is 370 dollars. i guess they're making more selling it domestically than they'd get selling it overseas or streaming (there's no way that's true)

hrmy i wonder why gainax is almost dead

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Macross Delta movie announced
https://twitter.com/macrossd/status/894030338590031872

Maybe it'll fix some stuff?

Anyway, more Freyja and wowowow is cool with me.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Every time I see the name Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor I think of Captain Ron. Is it a Captain Ron anime?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

Neat! The new rhythm game had put me in a mood for Macross. I look forward to that mood being satisfied like two years from now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

Every time I see the name Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor I think of Captain Ron. Is it a Captain Ron anime?
it's a sci-fi anime about a bumbling idiot who manages to luck his way into captaining a starship and then has to make poo poo up to try and win a war

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Nowhere to go but up really.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What went wrong with the show? I remember people being really into it and then suddenly not

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Also watch anime, don't follow it on twitter

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Knorth posted:

What went wrong with the show? I remember people being really into it and then suddenly not
Macross Delta had a hell of a fun opening act, with the idea of having the idol characters actually participate in the battles along as literal weaponized singing. The main character's gimmick was also seemingly about getting his plane to break dance and that could be fun.

But it never delivered on either of those concepts. In the end the idols spent every battle being crutches that had to be rescued and the main character quickly lost his breakdancing gimmick and instead just became insanely boring (seriously, he made me pine for Nekki Basara). The midseason finale battle was basically the climax of the entire plot and the entire second half was spent spinning its wheels leading to a protracted, wet fart of a conclusion. Lots of potential twists and revelations were teased that were also never delivered upon, making it feel like your time was wasted on so many plot threads and characters. The love triangle was the laziest and most half-assed attempt in a Macross story.

But perhaps most of all, the villains are AWFUL. Supremely boring and unsympathetic, despite the show desperately wanting you to feel the opposite on both aspects. They were one note and guarded by so much plot armor that it made every encounter tedious and repetitive because nothing ever happened. And yet they took up so much screen time, it was infuriating.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Knorth posted:

Completely personal opinion: It started to feel more like Aquarion than Macross for me. Adding to it was that one of my co-workers back then also followed the show and was MASSIVELY into Macross and MASSIVELY unpleasant.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh, well, lame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's funny, since no one bothered to make the last aquarion show anything like aquarion.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Waffleman_ posted:

IIRC it's cause Toei's forced to give a cut to Saban thanks to stupid contract bullshit, even if it's stuff that never got adapted in the US

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All i know about Aquarion is that in a recent one one of the love interests partway through changed into one of the more ridiculous outfits in anime. I think it was Evol.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 6, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's funny, since no one bothered to make the last aquarion show anything like aquarion.
Was Logos that different to Genesis and Evol?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Was Logos that different to Genesis and Evol?

yes, and not in a good way.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I liked Delta quite a bit. The opening episode is one of my favorite episodes of anime period, and the whole first half is just a ton of fun. It definitely gets into something of a rut in the back half, but the ending is fun, even if it doesn't resolve much. The music's fantastic throughout, which helps a lot, and Hayate and Freyja are adorable together.

X X

also Freyja makes fantastic faces

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/732228589882617856

and the alien worlds are wonderfully creative

I think you in particular would like it, Knorth, even with its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the back half of delta is really bad and i kind of slowly slid off it until i ended up just not watching the last two episodes, but the front half is the most fun i've had with macross

• Locked thread