Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cleretic posted:

Martha had no especially strong sexual feelings about the Doctor.

Amy outright and overtly tried to gently caress him, more than once.

Martha was in love with him that was her sole characteristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

TinTower posted:

The quality of companions is inversely proportional to their sexual attraction to the Doctor.

Go on, prove me wrong. :colbert:

So you're saying the best companion was Kamelion?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bobkatt013 posted:

Okay, I'll concede on that because I remember sweet gently caress-all about Martha or pretty much anything in season 3 that didn't involve either the Angels or the Master.

But her feelings are still way lesser than Amy, while being a worse companion.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Plavski posted:

So you're saying the best companion was Kamelion?

Obviously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TinTower posted:

Obviously.

What about K9? :mad:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wait, people actually like Amy and Rory?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TinTower posted:

The quality of companions is inversely proportional to their sexual attraction to the Doctor.

Go on, prove me wrong. :colbert:

Captain Jack, Romana.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Captain Jack, Romana.

Romana I had no interest in loving the Doctor and she was better than Romana II

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

What about K9? :mad:

K9 doesn't call him "Doctor master" for nothing :heysexy:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oasx posted:

Liking Rory I get. He was great. Amy was terrible though and Karen Gillan in general is awful. Bill is basically the only good female Moffat companion.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Kind of like how Donna is the only good female Davies companion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oasx posted:

Yep, lots of people do, including me. They were an extremely popular companion duo.

Of course I do think they stuck around half a season too long and I wish they'd wrapped up with the end of season 6 showing them living happily, getting occassional visits from their daughter and being delighted to know the Doctor was alive and still out there somewhere.

Hell, I would have been happy if their last ever appearance was that little epilogue to the otherwise awful Doctor, Widow and the Wardrobe Christmas Special. Where we discover they always put out a plate for him at Christmas should he ever decide to visit, because they knew he was still alive and that while he was out there having his adventures, he was always welcome in the home he helped them to make.

That extra half season didn't really offer much that I wouldn't happily have lost for an extra half season of Clara and the chance to develop her character and that "who is she?" arc properly across the course of an entire season. It was always nice seeing more of Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, but it wasn't really necessary.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Going back a bit, but I still am amazed that in the DWM 50th anniversary poll ranking every story, Rings Of Akhaten managed to rank as the 12th worst. Of Classic AND New Who. I quite like that story and the frosty reception saddens me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Made it to Capaldi on my rewatch, Clara still bad. 50th special still great (gently caress you Moffat, I will never remember which ____ of the Doctor episode is which). Giant T Rex still stupid. Paternoster gang and Victorian London still way way overused.

Does Clara ever mention being in teacher training before the 50th or is it just a retcon? I'm pretty sure she just talks about uni and never mentions teaching until she's teaching a class full of kids.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FreezingInferno posted:

Going back a bit, but I still am amazed that in the DWM 50th anniversary poll ranking every story, Rings Of Akhaten managed to rank as the 12th worst. Of Classic AND New Who. I quite like that story and the frosty reception saddens me.

The same polls rank Space Museum similarly low despite it being a great showcase both of Vicki's difference to Susan (she's incredibly proactive in pushing the boys to revolution) and Hartnell's cheeky, mischievous side (instead of just the cantankerous grandpa people are keen to portrait him as) so it's best to just discard them

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FreezingInferno posted:

It's not that bad, but it's just kind of a nothing episode. I re-watched it a couple days ago and I've already forgotten most of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

marktheando posted:

It's not that bad, but it's just kind of a nothing episode. I re-watched it a couple days ago and I've already forgotten most of it.

It has one of the stupider screwdriver scenes in the show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

And racist. Don't forget. Really not their best rodeo.

Bwahaha. If a black person is shown to have a single negative characteristic on screen then the show is racist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The bit where they somehow convinced their brother that he was a robot was a tad confusing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

Bwahaha. If a black person is shown to have a single negative characteristic on screen then the show is racist.

Portraying a family of black people as space car thieves is playing on racial stereotypes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

2house2fly posted:

No its actually very racist and horrid. The negative characteristics they have are specifically racially and culturally loaded ones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bobkatt013 posted:

Nuh uh, she also had a cell phone so that's two things

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Dude, you're smarter than this. That episode wasn't written in an alternative universe where our history of racialized portrayals does not exist. Whether intentionally or not, it plays on a lot of stereotypes that are still used to demonized black people (at least in Western countries, I don't have knowledge of how it works elsewhere) which aren't mitigated in any other way by the episode.

I'd love to be able to pretend we live in a post-racial world, trust me, but we're not there yet, not by a longshot.

EDIT: Ahahahahah, holy poo poo, the new Stupid Newbie avatar is something else.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

Martha had no especially strong sexual feelings about the Doctor.

Amy outright and overtly tried to gently caress him, more than once.

Amy tried to gently caress him, but I don't think she was ever really in love with him. He was her wish-fulfillment fantasy, that was a wish.

It was also a coping mechanism after a really stressful adventure. I'm surprised more companions don't struggle with PTSD or the like, actually; adventuring with the Doctor is a lot like doing combat missions. Hyper-sexual Amy and "suicide by adventure" Clara are probably more realistic in that regard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doctor is willing to gently caress up time and space to save Clara but not his wife or mother-in-law

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

Doctor is willing to gently caress up time and space to save Clara but not his wife or mother-in-law

"Fixed points in time". Except when they're not.

And on the topic of Clara, while she became better as the series went on (mostly by becoming an actual character rather than just a plot device, and having a more dynamic relationship with 12 than she did with 11), I still can't get over that she had a pretty great send off, then a follow-up episode centred entirely around the Doctor's grief, both of which were promptly shat on by Hell Bent.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 6, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reminder that the only black father we saw in new who left his family for a young white woman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Dude, you're smarter than this. That episode wasn't written in an alternative universe where our history of racialized portrayals does not exist. Whether intentionally or not, it plays on a lot of stereotypes that are still used to demonized black people (at least in Western countries, I don't have knowledge of how it works elsewhere) which aren't mitigated in any other way by the episode.

I'd love to be able to pretend we live in a post-racial world, trust me, but we're not there yet, not by a longshot.

EDIT: Ahahahahah, holy poo poo, the new Stupid Newbie avatar is something else.
this is very vague. What are the things about them that make you think it was unacceptable not to cast white actors in this episode?

learnincurve posted:

Reminder that the only black father we saw in new who left his family for a young white woman.
Rose dumped Mickey when a white man with a cool vehicle turned up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Is.... is mattdizzle back? It's probably not best to rehash that argument again in this thread (which is part of the reason I didn't bring it up), but this is a really dishonest way of framing people's complaints about it.

I was surprised to find that the episode sucks for a bunch of other reasons anyway. I'm really kind of digging season 7B, though, especially after the slog that was the first half of the season. The Great Intelligence was a good villain to revive, Sir Ian and David Warner are both in the first half, the Ice Warrior revival has some minor issues, but is otherwise a darn fun Gatiss episode, Strax and company are still funny. Journey is really the only dud so far.

7A's major issue is that the Ponds already had completed their arc, and them sticking around for another half season was kind of a drag. I do like Amy and Rory a lot as companions, though. After Amy got past her quick attraction to the Doctor, that she loved Rory was part of what made the two of them work. It's part of why I like it when the Doctor has more than one companion, too. I hope Thirteen travels with someone from the future or the past along with a more traditional companion.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Rose dumped Mickey when a white man with a cool vehicle turned up
Who had been shown to be pretty unreliable in a crisis

At least Ricky got some character development by the end of Davies' run

"It's Mickey!"
"Are you sure?"
"I think I'd know my own name!"
"You think? Just how stupid are you?"

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

learnincurve posted:

The black dad in the end of time wants to give his daughter immortality. He's also super rich and powerful.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Who would be the weirdest New Who character to bring back? I reckon Rickey. It'd be awesome.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

2house2fly posted:

this is very vague. What are the things about them that make you think it was unacceptable not to cast white actors in this episode?

He wasn't saying they should have cast white actors in the roles. He was saying that:

jivjov posted:

Portraying a family of black people as space car thieves is playing on racial stereotypes.

Do you disagree with that proposition? Do you not see at least three ways the story could be rewritten without them being space car thieves without changing anything else in the story?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Who would be the weirdest New Who character to bring back? I reckon Rickey. It'd be awesome.

Adam would be up there, but I think the weirdest character to bring back would be that beheaded blue guy.

They should, however, bring back the leader of those military people from the terrible tree people Christmas episode, and the lady who does Adam's surgery from the satellite, and then introduce a new character who links them together, played by Dylan Moran.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

He wasn't saying they should have cast white actors in the roles. He was saying that:

Do you disagree with that proposition? Do you not see at least three ways the story could be rewritten without them being space car thieves without changing anything else in the story?

Yes. For one they could have written them as a space salvage crew instead of space car theives.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They were thieves? I thought they were salvagers. Did everyone forget that the Doctor specifically told them they could start scrapping the TARDIS if they helped find Clara?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Bring back Astrid

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm so glad that we can now spend another ten pages of people being obtuse about how maybe, just maybe, the portrayal of those three characters was insensitive at best, and we can split hairs about how they're not thieves but salvage crews, despite the fact that they very clearly are trying to take things the Doctor repeatedly begs them not to take, and only offers them anything at all because they have put him in a terrible position.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Bring back Astrid

Speaking of would-be companions who died, I always sort of wondered if that woman from Big Brother (of the future) was written in some early draft of the season in which Billie Piper rather than Christopher Eccleston took a walk at the end of the season, or if Russell Davies just wrote her in to try to make people really feel the tragedy. I wonder if The Writer's Tale goes into any more detail about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Speaking of would-be companions who died, I always sort of wondered if that woman from Big Brother (of the future) was written in some early draft of the season in which Billie Piper rather than Christopher Eccleston took a walk at the end of the season, or if Russell Davies just wrote her in to try to make people really feel the tragedy. I wonder if The Writer's Tale goes into any more detail about her.

I can't remember if RTD has actually said this or if it's just been hypothesized in this thread, but The Parting of the Ways is written in a way that would have allowed them to lead into pretty much any possible Doctor/companion pairing for the next season with very small changes depending on which actors wanted to stay on. If both Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston wanted to stay, the Doctor and Rose could both have easily survived; if Piper wanted to leave, the vortex energy could have killed Rose and the Doctor would have gone off with Lynda; or, as ended up happening, if just Eccleston wanted to leave, he could save Rose by absorbing the vortex energy and then regenerate. It seems pretty clear that who were and were not staying on for Season 2 was still up in the air as the scripts were being written, and the finale is constructed to be pretty malleable to accommodate for that.

• Locked thread