Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Kill me.

This is from the public discord for Dreadnought video game. You know, the ones the devs set up and read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Who are all these cowards who are too politically correct to say the Nazis are bad?

Also: of course they have an anime avatar

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This person wanted to debate my in the offtopic channel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ularg posted:

This person wanted to debate my in the offtopic channel.

Poop touches back.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Poop touches back.

He touched me first.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Ularg posted:

Kill me.

This is from the public discord for Dreadnought video game. You know, the ones the devs set up and read?

Obviously it refers to PC gamers :smuggo:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I never get this weird obsession of actually thing is unrelated to thing, but it would be fine if it was.

Like just cut the middle step my dude.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I never get this weird obsession of actually thing is unrelated to thing, but it would be fine if it was.

Like just cut the middle step my dude.

"PC Master race and Master Race has nothing to do with Nazi Germany. But if it did that's totally okay"

Like when can I pay money to punch someone through a computer screen?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ularg posted:

Like when can I pay money to punch someone through a computer screen?

That's just going to end up with everyone being punched continually by wealthy people. We need to democratise face punching.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Mak0rz posted:

Time to play "Guess what was this person commenting on?"!

a video posted by a public group called Level Fitness about a miniature elliptical you can keep under your desk

Gonna do a trap-sprung on myself here - this is a 4chan quote, one of the 4chan-greatest-hits sorta, though the best part is that the guy re-write it into the first-person.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

du -hast posted:

Gonna do a trap-sprung on myself here - this is a 4chan quote, one of the 4chan-greatest-hits sorta, though the best part is that the guy re-write it into the first-person.

Always good to get context on these things.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Somfin posted:

Always good to get context on these things.

Ran across it just now cus I know you're really interested:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Josef bugman posted:

That's just going to end up with everyone being punched continually by wealthy people. We need to democratise face punching.

I'd start a GoFundMe for punching farooq in the face constantly

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Accidental Nazi Salon 2: I have too much time on my hands edition. Again, all public

The very important task of reclaiming actual Hitler's political title.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The brownshirts are censoring Nazism.

I choose to believe that Dennis Portland is the only cool and good person in this thread and I'd prefer to not be proven wrong. :ohdear:
hahahaha

:catstare:
Lendol continuing his crusade (ps that woman is absolutely a neo-nazi, you can tell by the nazi tattoo.)

No one would know such obscure terms like Mein Fuhrer, buried in such dusty tomes as every loving piece of media that features nazis.
I was wondering if there was something deeper to Hatter's weird view of historical ignorance, so I checked out his profile. First public image is a bitcoin thing (all aboard!), second is a photo of him with professional fuckwit Cory Bernardi

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I really want to punch all these people who think they can use semantics to get out of being neo-nazi fuckwits

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honest question about that though. When there's a hurtful or politically charged term that not everyone can be expected to know about, how obscure is too obscure? I find it uncomfortable when people use the term "okie" as a synonym for "OK", since especially as a Californian there's some history there. But hardly anyone thinks it's relevant. I feel like there shouldn't have to be a paper bag test for slurs, but clearly there's a threshold of some kind between "mock these idiots for not knowing history and taking the moral high ground in their ignorance" and "shut the gently caress up and don't go looking for things to be offended by".

E: tbc I'm talking more about the ignoramuses who think it's "just some phrase in another language" and not the cryptofascists trying to justify it as free speech and "take back" the term because it's totally not nazi but it would have been totally ok if it was"

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Aug 6, 2017

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Gitro posted:

Accidental Nazi Salon 2: I have too much time on my hands edition. Again, all public

The very important task of reclaiming actual Hitler's political title.

hahahaha

:catstare:
Lendol continuing his crusade (ps that woman is absolutely a neo-nazi, you can tell by the nazi tattoo.)

No one would know such obscure terms like Mein Fuhrer, buried in such dusty tomes as every loving piece of media that features nazis.
I was wondering if there was something deeper to Hatter's weird view of historical ignorance, so I checked out his profile. First public image is a bitcoin thing (all aboard!), second is a photo of him with professional fuckwit Cory Bernardi

Yeah that guy imitating the A Wyatt Mann can get hosed. Also got blocked by someone else for saying "you guys, 14 and 88 are just numbers too, only lefty snowflakes think a political party from 70 years ago owns numbers!". I should not touch the poop.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Honest question about that though. When there's a hurtful or politically charged term that not everyone can be expected to know about, how obscure is too obscure? I find it uncomfortable when people use the term "okie" as a synonym for "OK", since especially as a Californian there's some history there. But hardly anyone thinks it's relevant. I feel like there shouldn't have to be a paper bag test for slurs, but clearly there's a threshold of some kind between "mock these idiots for not knowing history and taking the moral high ground in their ignorance" and "shut the gently caress up and don't go looking for things to be offended by".

don't you think they're just taking that from okey dokey and not referencing the dust bowl for no reason?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

don't you think they're just taking that from okey dokey and not referencing the dust bowl for no reason?

Sure, but that's part of the question. What do you do if someone totally accidentally uses a term like "gook" or "wop" because he thinks it's like a funny sound effect?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Wait, we're not supposed to use wop to talk about Italians?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Data Graham posted:

Sure, but that's part of the question. What do you do if someone totally accidentally uses a term like "gook" or "wop" because he thinks it's like a funny sound effect?

explain the context to them calmly while emphasizing that you know they weren't being racist in this context but the context is good to know before they end up saying that poo poo in a situation that could get them in trouble, it isn't that hard to phrase it nonconfrontationally and if they get pissy about it anyway then you know they are a hypersensitive fuckwit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hmmm but what if a regular word is a slur in another language???

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Data Graham posted:

You say "hey uh you probably aren't aware but here's something you should know if you don't wanna accidentally get yourself in Bad Trouble somewhere down the line"

like maybe they'll go off on one about Sensitive Snowflakes or be all Oh So Suddenly I'm Not Allowed To Say _____ or whatever but hey at least you gave em a big fuckin obvious chance to not be a sewer goblin

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

hmmm but what if a regular word is a slur in another language???
one of the mandarin equivalents of "um"/"uh" sounds quite a bit like the n word and I've seen people get kinda what-the-gently caress-y about it a few times

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

HAT FETISH posted:

one of the mandarin equivalents of "um"/"uh" sounds quite a bit like the n word and I've seen people get kinda what-the-gently caress-y about it a few times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_jWTrRguzU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Any excuse to repost this:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

unwantedplatypus posted:

I see this poo poo everywhere on the internet, can we please refrain from making this tired joke?

If you're looking for hot, fresh takes, then you're in the wrong, dead forum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah we don't want your kind here.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Data Graham posted:

E: tbc I'm talking more about the ignoramuses who think it's "just some phrase in another language" and not the cryptofascists trying to justify it as free speech and "take back" the term because it's totally not nazi but it would have been totally ok if it was"

There are plenty of words that are used generally that are actually rooted in some less than ideal origins. It really does just come down to whether or not the group in question is large enough or visible enough to influence the public perception on the matter. For example, I think it was this thread where we talked about the origin of "gyp" as a slur, but a lot of people who would give you hell for saying someone "jewed you out" of something wouldn't bat an eye at saying "gypped you out" instead. You can try to inform someone why using the term is an issue but a lot of the time they're just going to tell you to gently caress off.

cnut
May 3, 2016

:suicide:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Somfin posted:

A good comic, unlike most of the ones I read on SA. Maybe I should spend less time in the politoons thread...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Aramek posted:

Wait, we're not supposed to use wop to talk about Italians?

No wonder my mechanic got so pissed off at me. I told him there were nails in a couple of my tires. He asked how I knew that and I just said "because when dago flat, dago 'wop wop wop wop...'"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Freaquency posted:

There are plenty of words that are used generally that are actually rooted in some less than ideal origins. It really does just come down to whether or not the group in question is large enough or visible enough to influence the public perception on the matter. For example, I think it was this thread where we talked about the origin of "gyp" as a slur, but a lot of people who would give you hell for saying someone "jewed you out" of something wouldn't bat an eye at saying "gypped you out" instead. You can try to inform someone why using the term is an issue but a lot of the time they're just going to tell you to gently caress off.

It's unfortunate that it's gotten hijacked by people who really want to say the n-word without being called on it, but there's a legitimate question of when it's ok to just let a slur die.

I mean, nobody anywhere gives a poo poo that "sinister" only means 'evil' because it was a slur against left-handed people.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

wow i work for a limo company and i drive a lot of taiwanese businessmen around and boy howdy have i been dying to ask them what the hell that word means forever

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Mein Kampf is just a book you guys, now SJWs hate books too? Cuck snowflake libtard cuck flake cuck cuck cuck" -totally reasonable and intelligent white guys worthy of respectable discourse

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Prism posted:

A good comic, unlike most of the ones I read on SA. Maybe I should spend less time in the politoons thread...

PBF is the only good webcomic

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Data Graham posted:

Somfin posted:

Can't find a screenshot or video for the life of me but I'm reminded of some ports of Lemmings where the sound of the stone slabs they placed for stairs was represented by the word "CHINK!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

PBF is the only good webcomic

turpa kiinni kissa äiä