Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KittenClanClan/status/893351853089533952https://twitter.com/KittenClanClan/status/893351853089533952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

K. Waste posted:

So a while ago, the Rembrant films 'un-released' The Hobbit from 1966 was posted in gen chat, so I'm gonna post it here as well as a link to Rembrandt's website, because it's something of a treasure trove of low budget animations. The selection is really diverse, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnVL1Y2src

http://rembrandtfilms.com/rembrandtanimation.html

It's like if someone heard another table describe the Hobbit at a restaurant, went home and fell asleep, lived out their week, and then decided "Yeah, I can make a hobbit short." It was barely a cartoon, just stills.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
thaaaaat's Gene Deitch for ya

dude is mostly known for his Tom and Jerry cartoons, which were notable for being the lovely ones that nearly killed the series

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, if anyone remembers the "Worker and Parasite" bit from the Simpsons, that was a direct and fairly brutal parody of his T&J shorts

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
here's the whole story (and a bunch of other interesting stuff) on Gene's blog

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

K. Waste posted:

So a while ago, the Rembrant films 'un-released' The Hobbit from 1966 was posted in gen chat, so I'm gonna post it here as well as a link to Rembrandt's website, because it's something of a treasure trove of low budget animations. The selection is really diverse, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnVL1Y2src

http://rembrandtfilms.com/rembrandtanimation.html

It's cute, and works well as a short bedtime story. The butthurt comments are a bonus.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
so, has noone watched Cars 3 then?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

starkebn posted:

so, has noone watched Cars 3 then?

I doubt anyone here wants to admit watching it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fangz posted:

There's not a lot of drama in the premise of 'does this character manage to convey their feelings' if they aren't shy.

Pepe le Pew's ready for a comeback

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How can it be a comeback if he refused to go away?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pixar week 5: Nemo, no short films

• I've been putting this one off for over a week because I've seen it so many times that I thought it would be boring... but honestly, it's still really fun.

• Also, I didn't see it at the cinemas, only ever on DVD, and now I'm watching for the first time in HD and wow it looks amazing!

• Nemo's mum is the first death in a Pixar film, right?

• I suffer from anxiety which has been pretty bad lately, but cartoons help! Anyway I actually think Marlin could be read as a character with anxiety, which really adds to the theme of "every character has a disability" that they explore more in Finding Dory. I dunno. I just find Marlin really relatable :kiddo:

• I also really relate to the "I'm obnoxious!" fish in Nemo's school :v:

• I'm not sure if Australia's strict biosecurity laws would have allowed the dentist to capture that fish and import it.

• No more trademark Hedrigall quips about the rest of the movie. I just chilled out and enjoyed this one.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hedrigall posted:

I think that guy Hopper killed was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If not, Hopper himself sure as hell was.

And Australian biosecurity laws are strict, but well, the film takes place in Australia, and clownfish are Australian animals. Plus the movie kind of is about how capturing wild fish for your tank is a lovely thing to do, though obviously that didn't stop a lot of people. (working saltwater tropical aquariums are the racehorses of aquarium keeping expense and difficulty wise, probably second only to octopi)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's funny, because In a Heartbeat is surprisingly good precisely because it adapts the Pepe le Pew formula as an allegory against anti-queer bigotry. It's rather genius, frankly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Testekill posted:

I doubt anyone here wants to admit watching it.

I'd totally be willing to watch it, I'm not willing to pay for it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I took my kid to Cars 3 as a surprise father-son date night.

It was better than 2 by a country Mile. Not sure if it was better than 1. And not sure anyone would/should care unless they have kids.

But I wasn't bored or offended.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Combat Carl :colbert:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was on fire in GBS with my long-con thread to get people to watch Boss Baby and then it got gassed. <:saddowns:>

Anyway, I did see Boss Baby, and it's a lot less bad than I expected and sometimes kinda funny. I give it a 6/10, mildly watchable. Also, I morbidly enjoyed the scene with the abacus where Boss Baby explains why Tim isn't loved any more.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My sister had to take our nephew to see Cars 3 and she said it was better than 1, which she hated so much she never saw 2. When we both had to take him to see Despicable Me 3, she said the only good thing about the movie was that it made her realize how good Cars 3 was by comparison.

I was indifferent to DM before, but now I actively hate it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Disney, reneging from their exclusivity deal with Netflix, will pull their movies from the service and start their own streaming service in 2019.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Disney, reneging from their exclusivity deal with Netflix, will pull their movies from the service and start their own streaming service in 2019.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

This is less surprising than the original deal they made.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't they already do this a few years ago then immediately change their mind and come back?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They should just buy Netflix and shove so much stuff on there that Hulu chokes to death.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disney has enough properties that I would probably give them money to have access to their library outside of Netflix. It really only sucks because I like having everything in one place.

My biggest concern is that they're going to pull their poo poo from Netflix all around the world and only make their streaming available in the USA and I'm left without anywhere to watch Zootopia.

Just kidding I have like eight ways to watch Zootopia so I'll survive.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If they dig deep and put stuff like old shorts and Disney Parks specials I'll love the hell out of it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

Just kidding I have like eight ways to watch Zootopia so I'll survive.

Zootopia is on loop 24/7 on the back of my eyelids so I'm good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have still not seen Zootopia.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

It's definitely worth a watch, but not something you need to go out of your way for.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffleman_ posted:

It's ok. Once, I wasn't born yet.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Not to kinkshame, but don't flaunt your masochism so hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

It's ok. Once, I wasn't born yet.

LeJackal posted:

Not to kinkshame, but don't flaunt your masochism so hard.

And this is the exact reason why.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I admit, I miss the late night Vault Disney, I would love if Disney put The Wonderful World of Disney, Zorro, and classic shorts up somewhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I believe they laid out what content would be on their service and it doesn't seem to include Star Wars or Marvel, just their banner stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love a lot of abstruse Disney poo poo so that service would probably have all their movies no one cares about, like Frank & Ollie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffleman_ posted:

And this is the exact reason why.

:allears:

People like thing so I refuse thing!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you ever choose to hate a movie because someone weird likes it in a way you think is gross, you're gonna flip your fuckin lid when you finally go outside

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

:allears:

People like thing so I refuse thing!!!

It's not that you like it, it's that you're all "Well, you're stupid for not watching the second coming of Fur Jesus." It's like Frozen, it's just gotten way too hyped for me to even wanna bother. Also it's got nothing to do with people being weird.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imagine a world where you could just decide to check out and possibly enjoy a thing without caring who else likes it or how much, and also imagine a world where if you decided not to watch a thing you didn't feel the need to tell people that in desperate hope to seem different and show how much you don't like when other people enjoy a thing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
H-hey guys, apropos of nothing I just want to tell you that I still haven't seen zootopia, just wanted to keep you updated on how cool I am, I really go against the grain :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not saying I want to be contrarian, dangit. I just don't want a repeat of Frozen where I watch it after it's been hyped up to heck and back and I just come out of it going "That was it?"

E: gently caress, whatever, I'll probably watch it this weekend then.