Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's kind of a weird reaction to hear the Night King stuff and assume the dragon was the only way he could take the wall down, and that there also wasn't a magic boundary as well.

Like if I was chopping down a tree with an axe, and someone offered me a chainsaw, I would take the chainsaw. It wasn't the only way I could get the tree down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come dragons always have to look like generic dragons. it'd be cool if someone made theirs look like an azhdarchid pterosaur like quetzalcoatlus.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

HannibalBarca posted:

I still think that Littlefinger getting offed by Sansa/on Sansa's orders makes sense to conclude his character arc but holy poo poo if this isn't as lame an ending as it gets. Him tooling around and being utterly ineffectual for a season and a half and then getting killed as a result of some low-stakes plotting in the middle of nowhere is pretty pathetic.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Littlefinger and Tyrion, the two "smartest" characters on the show, have seen the biggest drop in the quality of their dialogue and actions since they went past GRRM's source material. Beinoff and Weiss struggle to rise beyond the plodding on their own.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come dragons always have to look like generic dragons. it'd be cool if someone made theirs look like an azhdarchid pterosaur like quetzalcoatlus.

At least in GoT they are more of the bat-type (front legs and wings into one) instead of the 4 legs + wings.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Dave posted:

It's kind of a weird reaction to hear the Night King stuff and assume the dragon was the only way he could take the wall down, and that there also wasn't a magic boundary as well.

Like if I was chopping down a tree with an axe, and someone offered me a chainsaw, I would take the chainsaw. It wasn't the only way I could get the tree down though.

The difference is that we don't know what the Night King's axe is.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Not only are the last books going to come out, they are going to be good.

Oh you sweet summer child

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Jamie starts to wonder how he’s going to tell Cersei that their forces took a massive loss and how the plunder from high garden is now lost and now have no way to pay the Iron Bank.

This confuses me, as the previous episode had Randyll Tarly telling Jamie that "all the gold is safely through the gates at Kings Landing". How did they lose that?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Vitamin P posted:

Not only are the last books going to come out, they are going to be good.

The last good one was released 17 years ago

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xtothez posted:

This confuses me, as the previous episode had Randyll Tarly telling Jamie that "all the gold is safely through the gates at Kings Landing". How did they lose that?

They bought dragon puts on margin. Just super bad timing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

The difference is that we don't know what the Night King's axe is.

There's just no reason to. It wasn't as efficient. I don't need 5 minutes of zombies trying to climb the wall.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

OperaMouse posted:

At least in GoT they are more of the bat-type (front legs and wings into one) instead of the 4 legs + wings.

So they're not even dragons, but wyverns....

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

OperaMouse posted:

Wyverns, if I'm not mistaken.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xtothez posted:

could be food or simply the loss of the army? that's definitely one of the spoiler errors.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I just realized in Ep3 when Cersei is taunting Ellaria Sand and her daughter that she says "change the torches every few hours", I thought she said "change the tortures every few hours"

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

xtothez posted:

It's just a mistake. Later spoilers say she paid of the bank and now she's hiring the Golden Company.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I watched the scene again cause I thought he said the same thing and I'm 100% convinced he meant "all the gold is through the gates [of high garden]".

radlum
May 13, 2013
I missed that part first time I saw the episode, but I just watched it again and he clearly mentions King's Landing. I'm glad that Cersei got her money; four episodes in and I'm rooting for her more and more.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cersei sucks and is a cartoon villain. It ends up making Dany the obvious "good guy" in comparison when she really shouldn't be.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cersei sucks and is a cartoon villain. It ends up making Dany the obvious "good guy" in comparison when she really shouldn't be.

Cersei is a hero. She saved the realm from religious extremists, and now she will save the realm from foreign savages.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i didn't catch that the gold made it out that sucks poo poo. i was pretty excited they did something good for once and that the dragons had melted it or some poo poo.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't catch that the gold made it out that sucks poo poo. i was pretty excited they did something good for once and that the dragons had melted it or some poo poo.

They melted the food, though that's not good for Dany either, since she doesn't need gold, but her army could use some non-pillaged food.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

xtothez posted:

Bear in mind that the detailed spoilers on that reddit thread followed the following route:

- They were leaked by an anonymous leaker in 4chan and another leaker in Reddit (probably in english)
- They were pieced together and used leaked images to fill in the blanks by Frikidoctor in his youtube channel (who translated from english to spanish)
- They then were transcribed by swordoftheevening (translating from spanish back to english)

When you have so many translations back and forward some sense is lost (re: Pokemon Vietnamesse Crystal or the fansubbed Final Fantasy X).

So while the spoilers might be wrong when saying minor stuff like "they lose the gold" (which is probably a mistranslation of they lose the supplies) or "Sam goes with Jorah" (which could be a mistranslation of Sam follows Jorah), the general outline is still true.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm actually really glad that LF gets owned in a really anticlimactic fashion because he blows.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She is arguably more of a cartoon villain in the books, where she was so insane and bad as Queen that it came off as borderline misogynistic

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

She is arguably more of a cartoon villain in the books, where she was so insane and bad as Queen that it came off as borderline misogynistic

In the Books, though, it's made more explicit that she's just becoming an even worse version of Robert (fat, drunk, incompetent) which, while kind of tedious, at least makes more sense as a character arc than...whatever Show Cersei has got going on.

Anyway the real cartoon villain here is Euron, but it works because this show is schlock and Euron is one of the few characters that seems to realize it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

In the Books, though, it's made more explicit that she's just becoming an even worse version of Robert (fat, drunk, incompetent) which, while kind of tedious, at least makes more sense as a character arc than...whatever Show Cersei has got going on.

Oh, Show Cersei has got it going on alright!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's more explicit that she's becoming Aerys, than Robert.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

Anyway the real cartoon villain here is Euron, but it works because this show is schlock and Euron is one of the few characters that seems to realize it.

Euron:
* Removed a despot who initiated a failed military campaign that left the iron islands impoverished and without allies
* Took the throne in a democratic procedure, through the undisputed express will of the people
* Rebuilt the iron islands fleet thus restoring the isles political power and probably reinvigorating their economy
* Captured the daughter of the former despot who stole a national military assets and treasonously handed them to the enemies of kingdom
* Defended westeros against a foreign invader, the daughter of yet another tyrant whose cruelty and tyranny spawned a massive civil war and threw the entire continent into political turmoil for nearly two decades
* Brought to justice the outlaws who've murdered the ruler of dorne and his heir and an innocent little girl.

Euron is a goddamn hero of the people. The casting director and costume designers should be killed for failing to properly appreciate him.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's more explicit that she's becoming Aerys, than Robert.

I think it's a bit of both. Aerys' insanity/love of fire; Robert's drunkenness and weird creepy sex stuff

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought going mad was where the show was headed (at least that's what the whole blowing up the sept and her crowning and poo poo were massively hinting towards) but nah gotta get all the sides even.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HannibalBarca posted:

I think it's a bit of both. Aerys' insanity/love of fire; Robert's drunkenness and weird creepy sex stuff

Aerys was also a sex weird, setting people on fire got him hot enough to go rape his sister

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

skasion posted:

hot enough
heh

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i81icu812 posted:

Euron:
* Removed a despot who initiated a failed military campaign that left the iron islands impoverished and without allies
* Took the throne in a democratic procedure, through the undisputed express will of the people
* Rebuilt the iron islands fleet thus restoring the isles political power and probably reinvigorating their economy
* Captured the daughter of the former despot who stole a national military assets and treasonously handed them to the enemies of kingdom
* Defended westeros against a foreign invader, the daughter of yet another tyrant whose cruelty and tyranny spawned a massive civil war and threw the entire continent into political turmoil for nearly two decades
* Brought to justice the outlaws who've murdered the ruler of dorne and his heir and an innocent little girl.

Euron is a goddamn hero of the people. The casting director and costume designers should be killed for failing to properly appreciate him.

Euron is the hero the people need.

I hope the show ends with him mounting the Iron Throne on his ship and sailing around doing pirate stuff.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So can we assume that Euron's actor was talking out of his rear end when he claimed that Euron will do stuff that will make people hate him more than Ramsay, or was he just parroting D&D who thought that killing Sand snakes would somehow be considered a horrible act of evil?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TeaJay posted:

So can we assume that Euron's actor was talking out of his rear end when he claimed that Euron will do stuff that will make people hate him more than Ramsay, or was he just parroting D&D who thought that killing Sand snakes would somehow be considered a horrible act of evil?

What does your heart tell you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if he did legit bad evil stuff being worse than ramsay would be eye rolling cuz ramsay's inclusion to the show was loving terrible and overstayed its welcome like crazy.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

TeaJay posted:

he may have cut the tongue out of the mouth of fan favorite Yara!

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

After watching Dany suck I respect the original Aegon for conquering Westeros in like 3 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I endorse the following teams:
  • Team White Wakler
  • Team Euron

White Walkers = Global Warming
Westeros = Earth

Euron and the Iron Islands = Rich people fleeing to New Zealand

Everyone else should die.