Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Star Wars is good and I'm looking forward to the next one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Star Wars is good and I'm looking forward to the next one

Big Idiot Bad Post

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yug posted:

Big Idiot Bad Post

Don't sign your posts.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Don't sign your posts.

haha great post well meme'd my friend

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yug posted:

Idk, it was pretty good, imho

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

Idk, it was pretty good, imho

turn your monitor on sir this is a [fast foood restaurant] don't sign your posts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'll watch that GitS video later but all the nerds out there that complained that it's a bad adaptation of the :goonsay: beloved manga annoy the gently caress out of me. Same with dark tower and comic movies. I don't give a single gently caress if something is faithful to its source and Hollywood certainly doesn't. If some hack director made a film about my life and changed every single detail, I wouldn't care as long as it's entertaining.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yug posted:

you got owned, hard.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GitS was neither faithful or a good interpretation. They couldn't make up it's mind whether to rip off the cool scenes wholesale or smash them into some generic mess.

It was good when they copied cut for cut like the canal fight. The biggest stand out is the Yakusa Office/bar fight that has nothing to do with the original scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuL8cVxXMA

The plot is all sort of nonsense and barely has a coherent theme.

Takeshi Kitano is the highlight of the movie and having him speak Japanese(LOL his English) was they only thing that the director had any guts doing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'll watch that GitS video later but all the nerds out there that complained that it's a bad adaptation of the :goonsay: beloved manga annoy the gently caress out of me. Same with dark tower and comic movies. I don't give a single gently caress if something is faithful to its source and Hollywood certainly doesn't. If some hack director made a film about my life and changed every single detail, I wouldn't care as long as it's entertaining.

For the record, I mostly agree with your overall point, but from what I'm hearing, Dark Tower is just straight up bad and also a bad adaptation.

But yeah, for example, Watchmen wasn't bad because of the changes they made to the story, it was bad because Zach Snyder is a hack.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Here's the number one reason josh is bad:

Mike will make a quick, throw away joke and Josh will butt in and say "no no no no no !" and then add some stupid "random lol" element to the joke that derails it instead of playing along. Mike then just kinda has to nod politely and the discussion moves on.

If you don't see a problem with this is it because you probably do the same thing with your circle of friends and it's the reason they don't laugh at your jokes and why they've stopped hanging out with you

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why is he called "The Wizard" in the credits? It's something he started calling himself and now insists everyone else does too, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

but dark tower would've been better if it had been a straight adaptation of the first book.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The only thing the dark tower series needs to be adapted into is compost

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Roland - "Thankee sai."
Jake - "... *sigh*... you fuckin' dork."

TOOT TOOT! HERE'S COME BLAINE THE FUCKIN MONO!! TOOT TOOT! MOVE BITCH, GET OUT THE WAY. *thomas the tank engine theme plays in background*

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

lol i learned dead baby jokes with blain the train i think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

khwarezm posted:

Yes that was it. It was super weird and had a really unique style of ultra elongated characters with super defined facial features. The creator did a pretty cool segment of the animatrix too.

Also tons of weird sex stuff.

Also reign the conquerer

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
speaking of bad adaptations, the Death Note trailers have me thinking if i watch death note i should watch it pretending the source material does not exist and i have no knowledge of it because drat do the characters act differently

they seem to have kept character quirks but not character. ryuk eats apples. l eats candy. :downs:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Clawtopsy posted:

speaking of bad adaptations, the Death Note trailers have me thinking if i watch death note i should watch it pretending the source material does not exist and i have no knowledge of it because drat do the characters act differently

they seem to have kept character quirks but not character. ryuk eats apples. l eats candy. :downs:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Seriously, I've heard that it's supposed to be a parallel either from the director or from the guy who plays L.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WampaLord posted:

For the record, I mostly agree with your overall point, but from what I'm hearing, Dark Tower is just straight up bad and also a bad adaptation.

But yeah, for example, Watchmen wasn't bad because of the changes they made to the story, it was bad because Zach Snyder is a hack.

Eh, seeing Watchmen it felt to me that they weren't really able to handle the implications of the story.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I liked Watchmen. It wasn't bad.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Paladinus posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Seriously, I've heard that it's supposed to be a parallel either from the director or from the guy who plays L.

all i know from the trailer is it had L doing public speaking and getting super angry about stuff

and light is unambitious and needs misa to lead him into things

and ryuk tries to goad light into using the notebook

i wonder if the potato chip scene will be in it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's weird to think how restrained watchmen is in comparison to man of steel and bvs. hard to believe the same guy made em all.

the manhattan sequence in watchmen is legit great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clawtopsy posted:

all i know from the trailer is it had L doing public speaking and getting super angry about stuff

and light is unambitious and needs misa to lead him into things

and ryuk tries to goad light into using the notebook

i wonder if the potato chip scene will be in it

The thing that makes the original manga good is the relationship between L and Light, and the well written cat and mouse game between them. If you change that it's gonna suck

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I liked Light as a character because he wasn't relatable. His thinking was so psychotic it bordered on alien, but because it was presented in a decently charismatic way, you became invested in the outcome.

the netflix trailer has misa telling him he needs to think bigger and change the world, and ryuk needing to goad him into taking the note. Light in the series took the note of his own volition, read the rules, and then experimented on how far he could push them through murder.

Plus, there's an action scene where Misa and Light are in an exploding ferris wheel in the Netflix one. I'm going to watch it, but as I said earlier, you really gotta detach past expectations based on the source material. Making Light an everyteen is a mistake, imo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Clawtopsy posted:

Fans of the Preacher comic say the same thing about its show, and all that does is make me think I'm better off just not reading the books that TV shows and movies are based off of. Like I'm not more inclined to read the comics or books now, I'm just going to watch the show or movie and enjoy it on its own.

Actually no wait that's dumb, because Hannibal the TV show is way, way different than the Thomas Harris books and it was still a good show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the preacher comic is better than the show (mostly). so yeah you gotta ignore that it's an adaptation of an existing property to enjoy it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

King Vidiot posted:

Fans of the Preacher comic say the same thing about its show, and all that does is make me think I'm better off just not reading the books that TV shows and movies are based off of. Like I'm not more inclined to read the comics or books now, I'm just going to watch the show or movie and enjoy it on its own.

Actually no wait that's dumb, because Hannibal the TV show is way, way different than the Thomas Harris books and it was still a good show.

V idiot indeed lmao

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
3 weeks since last HAB. Gotta be one tonight, right? The Dark POS seems right up their alley.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Dunkirk is a Nolan film.
They did red tails because it was Lucas, they could do Dunkirk because it's Nolan

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

I liked Watchmen. It wasn't bad.

Me too.

The revamped ending was a drastic improvement over the comic book's ending, which was way out of left field and some kind of reference to an indie comic no one has read or something.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PostNouveau posted:

Me too.

The revamped ending was a drastic improvement over the comic book's ending, which was way out of left field and some kind of reference to an indie comic no one has read or something.

it was built up by the little asides about artists and wahtnot disappearing. and also the pirate thing about a man trying to save people and going to insane lengths about it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Dunkirk is a Nolan film.
They did red tails because it was Lucas, they could do Dunkirk because it's Nolan

I feel like they would have done it by now, they're usually fairly rapid to get out reviews of big 'event' movies.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

King Vidiot posted:

I only saw a few episodes of American Gods, and was really surprised at how little reading the books affected my enjoyment of it. All the visuals and style of it are so vibrant, than knowing what's going to happen barely affected my enjoyment - almost didn't factor in. I think the Hannibal guy worked on it too right? I never saw that. Maybe he just has a gift.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

Me too.

The ending was better in the sense that it was less campy and comic booky, but it wasn't really any different in terms of what happens or why it happens, they just removed the most unbelievable elements for realism sake.

Looking back I'm actually a bit sad they shied from that piece of vintage Alan Moore weirdness, its one of the things that gives his work its charm, and overall I think the Watchmen movie is too boring of an adaption of the book.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

The ending was better in the sense that it was less campy and comic booky, but it wasn't really any different in terms of what happens or why it happens, they just removed the most unbelievable elements for realism sake.

Looking back I'm actually a bit sad they shied from that piece of vintage Alan Moore weirdness, its one of the things that gives his work its charm, and overall I think the Watchmen movie is too boring of an adaption of the book.

For a superhero comic, it wasn't really super weird up until that point, so the weird ending doesn't fit well with the rest of it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

For a superhero comic, it wasn't really super weird up until that point, so the weird ending doesn't fit well with the rest of it.

I remember someone offered a interpretation of the whole thing, that it was intentionally a comic solution from a comic book character (Ozymandias) for a huge real life problem (the Cold war and the prospect of nuclear conflict). In that regard Dr Manhattan and the other characters are similar, outlandish comic book tropes clashing with real world problems.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Lavender posted:

I think the Hannibal guy worked on it too right? I never saw that. Maybe he just has a gift.

Same guy yeah. Also watch Hannibal, it's some of the best tv of the past decade.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I remember someone offered a interpretation of the whole thing, that it was intentionally a comic solution from a comic book character (Ozymandias) for a huge real life problem (the Cold war and the prospect of nuclear conflict). In that regard Dr Manhattan and the other characters are similar, outlandish comic book tropes clashing with real world problems.
for years the whole alien thing was something I always pushed away, but I can dig it now with that kind of understanding. yea, the idea that Dr. Manhattan exists means anything seems kinda fair game in that book :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want my giant alien squid rather than yet another 9/11 city destruction analogy. It wasn't quite "big sky laser", but it was close

• Locked thread