Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bring back Conquest :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
A friend left the island recently and left me with his collection of Warhammer: Invasion cards. I'm not sure exactly what I have, but anyone want to give me a rundown/review of that game?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

alansmithee posted:

I'm taking a dive even though I didn't care much for the gameplay.

Have you considered anonymous cardholics?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lichtenstein posted:

Have you considered anonymous cardholics?

Ehh, I've pretty much bought into all of FFG's LCGs since Netrunner (and including LotR and AGoT v. 1). At worst I'll just flip the starters which is what I did with conquest, or they'll get put away in a couple of boxes to sit next to my SW LCG and Netrunner cards.

That's one thing I do enjoy about the LCG model-it's still a relative pittance vs. playing Magic competitively.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, I've pretty much bought into all of FFG's LCGs since Netrunner (and including LotR and AGoT v. 1). At worst I'll just flip the starters which is what I did with conquest, or they'll get put away in a couple of boxes to sit next to my SW LCG and Netrunner cards.

That's one thing I do enjoy about the LCG model-it's still a relative pittance vs. playing Magic competitively.

Even compared to the buy-in for Destiny. I saw the Team Covenant, complete set deal for Destiny was like $300 USD or something. In LCG terms, you could buy into the competitve scene for 2 LCGs at that point.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I still have AGoT cards in my closet.

From the CCG. :smith:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arkham horror still impossible to find

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Arkham horror still impossible to find

Online it seems to be overpriced or sold out, but I've found it at multiple places locally :shrug:

I've yet to play it though :ssh:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't find it anywhere. One store said they were havin it shipped from a sister store but that was a week ago :( :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Bring back Conquest :(

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Re-buy UFS from Jasco and turn it into an LCG

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

A friend left the island recently and left me with his collection of Warhammer: Invasion cards. I'm not sure exactly what I have, but anyone want to give me a rundown/review of that game?

Basically an FFG game before they really got to grips with the format. It's still good but from memory had a lot of edge case stuff and some fairly over powered combos.

I really enjoyed the game back in the day and it's pretty thematic. It's a reasonably straightforward "'kill the other player's base" setup except you have three different areas in which to play your cards and (I think) that affects things like card draw and resource generation.

It's not a bad game at all.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Is there a legend of the five rings thread or is this it? The rules got posted here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/74/46/7446c964-613e-4c01-8902-199257c5d4af/l5c01_learntoplay_web.pdf

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I'm taking a dive even though I didn't care much for the gameplay. I'm hoping further expansions improve upon it even though I'm not too hopeful.

I just love everything about the game so much, outside of the game :(. The competitive play aspect sounds amazing, I've liked the story portions they've released so far, and the cards themselves are really nice to look at.

Same here, I hate the fact that FFG loves weird tokens and dials outside of the game as well. That said Ill be buying enough to support me and two friends.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

always be closing posted:

Same here, I hate the fact that FFG loves weird tokens and dials outside of the game as well. That said Ill be buying enough to support me and two friends.

Well the custom tokens and dials are appropriate for L5R, though I would have preferred if they'd switched the dial and token for counting honor. I'd rather have a double dial for tracking both player's honor and a few tokens that would be used for bidding. I can see the honor tokens being the same problem they are in aGoT when you play with people that don't organize them in an easy to see way.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Well the custom tokens and dials are appropriate for L5R, though I would have preferred if they'd switched the dial and token for counting honor. I'd rather have a double dial for tracking both player's honor and a few tokens that would be used for bidding. I can see the honor tokens being the same problem they are in aGoT when you play with people that don't organize them in an easy to see way.

Eh, tokens are a good way to psychologically represent spendable resources.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Eh, tokens are a good way to psychologically represent spendable resources.

I agree, but I think any countable value in a game that has a threshold for winning or losing should be represented in a way that players can always see it easily, and can be tracked in a way that's not going to be easy to cheat or be bumped accidentally. Not that dials are perfect in this manner, god only knows how many Crane players I had to double check every time they moved their dial.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I agree, but I think any countable value in a game that has a threshold for winning or losing should be represented in a way that players can always see it easily, and can be tracked in a way that's not going to be easy to cheat or be bumped accidentally. Not that dials are perfect in this manner, god only knows how many Crane players I had to double check every time they moved their dial.

Nah, I'd much rather tokens than dials. The inability to restore states with dials is miserable, and the old honor spinners were notoriously bad at reading angles.

Paper > Tokens > Dial, even if the dials are pretty and I still have my decade old kotei dial top.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Nah, I'd much rather tokens than dials. The inability to restore states with dials is miserable, and the old honor spinners were notoriously bad at reading angles.

Paper > Tokens > Dial, even if the dials are pretty and I still have my decade old kotei dial top.

Maybe 20 some odd years back, I think it was Scrye, put out these pewter dials for tracking life totals in magic the gathering and I never saw them again for years and years. There was a kickstarter for a similar thing last year but I didn't jump on it because I don't really have anything that needs it, but I should go see if they're going to offer anything samurai themed I could use with L5R.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Gonna whip out my acrylic Conquest dial from Nationals for Honor now (:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

PaybackJack posted:

Maybe 20 some odd years back, I think it was Scrye, put out these pewter dials for tracking life totals in magic the gathering and I never saw them again for years and years. There was a kickstarter for a similar thing last year but I didn't jump on it because I don't really have anything that needs it, but I should go see if they're going to offer anything samurai themed I could use with L5R.

There were honor trackers for L5R, I actually used a monkey clan cover for mine, this is what the plate looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L5R-Honor-Counter-Numerical-Base-19-to-40/401094710842

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

There were honor trackers for L5R, I actually used a monkey clan cover for mine, this is what the plate looks like:

I still have one of these for the Naga clan.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SirFozzie posted:

Yeah I still have my Scorpion and Shinsei ones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been watching a couple of L5R videos and it looks like fun. How many clans will be included in the core? And how many will you need?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Fat Samurai posted:

Been watching a couple of L5R videos and it looks like fun. How many clans will be included in the core? And how many will you need?

7 Clans and i think they said 3 sets to have full play sets of everything, but 2 sets is probably the least needed to have things other than starter decks.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I really like these games, but it seems like you really need to play the game that has a presence in your area, not your personal favorite. Does anyone play in NYC? What's popular here?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thrones is huge there I know. I would assume all of the games have a strong presence in NYC though. Check FB for FFG Meta groups and check around some local shops event calendars.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MoreLikeTen posted:

I really like these games, but it seems like you really need to play the game that has a presence in your area, not your personal favorite. Does anyone play in NYC? What's popular here?

Game of Thrones and Netrunner are both pretty popular in NYC. Multiple meetups and tournaments every month pretty much. I'm not sure what the hype is around L5R though since I moved to Chicago recently. I'm assuming there'll be some activity though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wish people played call of cthulu :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MoreLikeTen posted:

NYC and to a certain extent Nassau County are heaven for LCG games. I can't get anything to stick in Suffolk, but I can always take the train to NYC if I want to play almost any LCG's monthly tournament.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wish people played call of cthulu :(

I mean

It's dead Jim

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgl5c01.html

Miniature Market still has L5R core sets up for preorder for $31. Been up since Friday or Saturday. I fully expect them to oversell and I won't end up getting anything until January or February or something like that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm the worst player in the world. I cannot for the life of me beat the first campaign in LOTR LCG. I've tried deckbuilding etc in just so bad. ( any tips?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

I AM CARVALLO posted:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgl5c01.html

Miniature Market still has L5R core sets up for preorder for $31. Been up since Friday or Saturday. I fully expect them to oversell and I won't end up getting anything until January or February or something like that.

I'm rolling the dice to pick up my other cores at GenCon. I have a guaranteed one from the tournament, but they'll have a bunch at the booth - we'll see where my dealer's room motivation intersects with the demand this year.

Speaking of GenCon, are any other goons playing L5R this year, and if so are there special deck construction rules like GoT last year?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I think I'm the worst player in the world. I cannot for the life of me beat the first campaign in LOTR LCG. I've tried deckbuilding etc in just so bad. ( any tips?

You mean A Shadow of the Past, the first of the LOTR saga campaign? Or do you mean Passage through Mirkwood, the first one in the core set?

If you post your decklist I'll critique it; I'm not sure if I have any particularly good advice for A Shadow of the Past and it's been way too long since I've done Passage through Mirkwood.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I'm full in for l5r. They haven't announced the deck construction rules for Thursday or Friday yet. Both will probably be 30/30. Unsure if we get to use the Role cards or influence in another clan into the conflict deck. Single core does not have a ton of options which will help Thursday get up and running quickly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DontMockMySmock posted:

You mean A Shadow of the Past, the first of the LOTR saga campaign? Or do you mean Passage through Mirkwood, the first one in the core set?

If you post your decklist I'll critique it; I'm not sure if I have any particularly good advice for A Shadow of the Past and it's been way too long since I've done Passage through Mirkwood.

Passage through Mirnwood. I think I just keep getting lovely pulls. I'm using this deck from Beorns:

https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/beorns-path-part-3-deck-tuning/

But ill pull like 4 green cards and never get to use them because I have mostly purple heros :(.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm full in for l5r. They haven't announced the deck construction rules for Thursday or Friday yet. Both will probably be 30/30. Unsure if we get to use the Role cards or influence in another clan into the conflict deck. Single core does not have a ton of options which will help Thursday get up and running quickly.

They have now: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/10/smokeless-fire/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Passage through Mirnwood. I think I just keep getting lovely pulls. I'm using this deck from Beorns:

https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/beorns-path-part-3-deck-tuning/

But ill pull like 4 green cards and never get to use them because I have mostly purple heros :(.

I bet you're missing a rule or two.

Here's a list of commonly missed rules and strategies
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/5-things-i-wish-i-wouldve-known-when-i-started-playing-lotr-lcg/

Remember that you can mulligan your starting hand, and draw 5 new cards. In that constructed deck (which I've used before from Beorn), you really really want to see Steward of Gondor in your opening hand, and you want to see Celebrian's Stone early too.
Sneak Attack + Gandalf is a combo that will save your bacon too. Toss Gandalf in for a phase to add a 4/4/4 ally for a quest phase or combat phase, and then you STILL get to use his response effect of reducing threat, drawing cards, or dealing direct damage to something. Really great for nuking a nasty thing in the staging area, like Hummerhorns. And then you pop him right back into your hand, pretty great value for 1 cost.

Ideally in your opening hand you're going to have Steward of Gondor, which you can pay for right away with Theodred and Aragorn's resources and place on Denethor. Exhaust it and add 2 resources to Denethor, now you have 3 in his pool, and you're generating a total of 5 each turn (2 leadership, 3 Lore).
Your typical play is going to be to commit Theodred and Aragorn to the quest, using the bonus Theodred resource to ready Aragorn again, so he can quest and fight. If possible, Denethor can soak up most attacks, and then Aragorn kills stuff.
If you can get Protector of Lorien on at least Aragorn, you can pitch a card to add power to the quest if needed.

Last bit of guidance I'll share is that typically the worse you're doing, the more urgent it is for you to go fast. You've got to be developing your board and piling on progress tokens, else you'll fall impossibly behind when you get a bad draw.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Does L5R have a release date? All I can find is that it's "on the boat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
I haven't seen anything solid. It will be soft launching at GenCon. When it hits retail can only be guessed at.