Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

JPSU got a new CO on the same day my ITP Board sat. I really don't want to be extended again, but I don't want to get rushed out the door without getting stuff in place either.

Can anyone speak to these boards? NCR doesn't let you attend or advocate for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 16, 2017

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

And when you reported it to the MPCC so they could fix this obvious incompetence, what happened?

Cause we still need to keep doing that, what they're fixing ain't fixed.

I have literally never heard of the MPCC until right now.

Really telling.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

stevobob posted:

Does anyone have experience with the 8 Wing Family Medical Clinic in Trenton? CWO Kevin West came to the base a few weeks ago and told me that it was constructed by wing CE with intent to provide medical services for military families. I tried to register my wife there and they told me on several occasions that no, they are a regular clinic that takes applications from the street, they have no room and do not keep a waiting list.

You will never, ever get in to the family clinic. When I was in Trenton a year and a bit ago, I tried to get in there and they basically told me to go gently caress myself.

Ended up having to go to the walk-in clinic in the west end of Belleville that's in the same plaza as shoppers drug mart across from Tim's off of highway 2

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I have literally never heard of the MPCC until right now.

Really telling.

If you go to any MP station and you tell them you want to make a complaint about the way you were treated, anyone who refuses to help you will be struck by poo poo lightning. You do not gently caress with the MPCC or their mandate, especially if you are yourself an MP.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
You always hear from the O-6+ that Public Works /Procurement is a disaster in Canada. After slogging through this Sniper Bodyarmor fiasco I have serious bad vibes for the INF /RCMP/PubWorks RFI's / Interest Tenders for the 2019 body armor upgrades. I think the whole 2018-2025 refurbishment cycle is going to be a exercise in Liberal/Quebec cronyism. Why?

4 full weeks of Snipers at Fort Bragg explaining to CAD why the front carrier is XYZ for US Forces/SOCOM. CAD snipers are trained in US and the request was made to get a system which works with the training gear loadouts. Sounds simple so a Info packet / project loadout is drafted for Canada. CAD reps agree to study the materials. CAD's come back and ask for the reports to be adjusted to meet a Quebec bidder's suggestion. US lol's and stands by report. PW's calls up 4 others Armor suppliers to review the 4 prototypes designed by the Canadian bidders of the contract. All 4 confirm the Made-in-Canada solution(s) are bad ideas. Canadian GR man who is also a Lobbyist for one of the bidders insists a Canadian review of the Carrier is going to discredit the US reports and the armor will work just fine. I'm not even sure how the Govt Lobbyist got into the room because they are not supposed to be involved during the RFP bid. Lobby-proxies from QEC insist the Quebec carrier will still do the job, so USA team throws up hands and walks off. Quebec factory has not yet started ordering materials which means the order is going to be delayed upon win. A literal boondoggle waiting to happen.

KDH guy confides after, 'this whole scenario is a good example of why Canada takes 20+ years to do simple refurbishment' while upgrade cycles for Germany 2 years max (ie the G35 INF replacement RFP). None of these bids are to improve troop quality, its just methods to funnel money back to donors & ridings.

After week 3 of PW's bureaucrats trying to out-tactical US trainers, I swore I heard General Andrew McNaughton crying in his grave. So mad right now.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 22, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

No surprises there. After all the articles in journals and newspapers, I can't believe they're still playing the same game they did with the introduction of the Ross Rifle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Charlie-Foxtrot-Fixing-Defence-Procurement/dp/1459736753

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Frosted Flake posted:

No surprises there. After all the articles in journals and newspapers, I can't believe they're still playing the same game they did with the introduction of the Ross Rifle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Charlie-Foxtrot-Fixing-Defence-Procurement/dp/1459736753

I don't know if I want to read that... I feel sufficiently depressed already.

Anything in that book that can be useful ?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Did you know that having a kidney stone makes you medically unfit to enroll in the CF for five years?

I didn't.

Until today.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
Having two kidney stones within five years of eachother means you're more inclined to have them repeatedly in your life. It's a higher risk that you'd have one in a low-resource setting like a deployment. If it happens to a member, they get a permanent medical category and eventual medical release. They don't want to take you until you've shown you're lower risk.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I understand the reasoning, it's just incredibly disappointing. I've got three kids and I'm in my 30's. I can't wait around for that long.

Five years. For passing a loving kidney stone. Jesus christ.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just had a godawful interview with The Citizen because the PAO couldn't be bothered to meet me beforehand, so look for that on newsstands soon.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Don't forget to link it, or scan and put it here so we can see it if they don't put it on their site.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wouldn't that give away my super-secret Goon identity?

I'll do it, the journo said he'll push it back to September to be closer to The Games.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CanadianSuperKing posted:

If it happens to a member, they get a permanent medical category and eventual medical release.

Really? Is there somewhere I can find out more about that? I know someone with repeated health issues, including stones, and I'm now curious the thresholds for this.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That's what urks me too. I have prior service, and released a decade ago. If I stayed in and had the stone, it's not a huge deal. But because I'm technically enrolling, it's a five year wait. :(

edit: Sorry, I'm trying not to bitch. I just never thought I'd have a "medical limitation" like this.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Enrolling is pretty silly - albeit completely fair for all applicants. I didn't qualify for re-entering the infantry despite releasing a year earlier as a MCpl with a tour and several prestige qualifications. Prior service was only a couple points in the grand scale.

I'm glad it didn't happen in retrospect but that was a downer at the time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So when I get out on medical, even if I eventually recover enough to get universality of service, it's a long road back eh?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I understand the reasoning, it's just incredibly disappointing. I've got three kids and I'm in my 30's. I can't wait around for that long.

Five years. For passing a loving kidney stone. Jesus christ.

You're probably not going Infantry, but we've had an alarmingly large number of candidates go down with kidney failure in Gagetown this summer.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Nofeed posted:

You're probably not going Infantry, but we've had an alarmingly large number of candidates go down with kidney failure in Gagetown this summer.

Kidney FAILURE? Stones are, at best, the cause of 1-2% of kidney failures (albeit in the general population), so I'm not sure I'd call that the culprit. Nonetheless, that's still surprising.

Edit: I was going for spec pay trades (AVN/AVS/Marine tech), but hell I might just go Plumber for something that directly leads to a red seal trade if I'm at such a great risk of being medically released. Not that I'm super confident that my appeal will do anything.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 6, 2017

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
What, are the guys not drinking water or something

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's water in Monster, right?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There's water in Monster, right?

uhh, monster ain't a gas, it's obviously all water

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's what urks me too. I have prior service, and released a decade ago. If I stayed in and had the stone, it's not a huge deal. But because I'm technically enrolling, it's a five year wait. :(

edit: Sorry, I'm trying not to bitch. I just never thought I'd have a "medical limitation" like this.

I got out in 2014 and am in the process of re-entering. I regret leaving every day. Just got put on the competition list but my file sat at Dmed Pol for 2 months for a previous service related injury that is gone now.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

I regret leaving every day.

:crossarms:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

There are no full-time jobs where I live that pay over minimum wage. The only reason I left was because my folks opened up a business. They closed it 2 years later and left me high and dry.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ouch usually it's the CADPAT weenie that does the loving.

In other news I spent my weekend hanging out with a retired British Major General who served as the commander of a UN peacekeeping force in Africa about ten years ago. Got into a discussion about Dallaire and I was a little shocked at how vehement he was that Dallaire was no hero, and he should have intervened. I asked "Well wouldn't they have all been murdered if they had done that?"

He said "Very likely. But he knew that possibility existed when he took the role, and by failing to act weakened all peacekeeping missions that came afterwards."

Sterner stuff than I'm made of, I guess.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Every few months I consider joining but I've got a two year diploma instead of a degree so I can't be a noble without getting a bachelor's of something and enlisting seems like a bit of a waste of my two years.

Also I'm a horrendous swimmer so that's pretty much a big red X.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Pretty sure you don't need to swim, even to join the Navy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Huh. I heard the PT tests in basic had swimming components. Guess I heard wrong.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Are you able to hold your head above water for at least 30-60 seconds while staying in place?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If you want to do anything with CSOR, even as logistics you need to pass a swim test.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

It used to be you had to float/tread water for 2 minutes, then swim 25m. I remember floating on my back for part 1, then kicking my feet until I made the distance. I don't think anyone in our platoon failed, and THAT's saying something.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Ouch usually it's the CADPAT weenie that does the loving.

In other news I spent my weekend hanging out with a retired British Major General who served as the commander of a UN peacekeeping force in Africa about ten years ago. Got into a discussion about Dallaire and I was a little shocked at how vehement he was that Dallaire was no hero, and he should have intervened. I asked "Well wouldn't they have all been murdered if they had done that?"

He said "Very likely. But he knew that possibility existed when he took the role, and by failing to act weakened all peacekeeping missions that came afterwards."

Sterner stuff than I'm made of, I guess.

Phone posting so I can't look it up, but I'm pretty sure in the sixties during some Congo crisis a general dextraze faced a similar situation and decided to act against orders to preserve life. Different circumstances, but it worked out for him (assuming it wasnt all a fever dream) and I'm not about to judge flag officers on something like this. UN has far more culpability anyways but 25 years later the world still doesn't give a gently caress about swarthy people and the areas they live in, as it turns out.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
the pool at CLFRS been under reno for awhile, we skipped the swimming portions when I went through

although if you're ever in a situation where you need to swim in the navy you're pretty much hosed anyways

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

ya the swimming "test" was a joke. you somersault off a diving board into the water then float on your back for a minute then turn around and swim to the end. we had around 3 non swimmers in my platoon and they gave them life jackets to do it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The only guy I ever knew to fail a swim test was a guy who was too fat to climb out of the pool without using the ladder.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare: Jesus okay so maybe I am eligible to join the CF.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kazinsal posted:

:stare: Jesus okay so maybe I am eligible to join the CF.

worst case scenario you get sent to fat camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

SuperSix posted:

the pool at CLFRS been under reno for awhile, we skipped the swimming portions when I went through

You didn't get to do AquaFit? Poor bastard, that was the only fun swim session in basic.