Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh man, I want some insane Japanese game devs to make this now, with jazz and big band Touhou music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Oh man, I want some insane Japanese game devs to make this now, with jazz and big band Touhou music.
They haven't made that exact thing yet, but you can get pretty close...

Download this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_0Hf9-Gb3w

Replace the soundtrack with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydUowWXEOok

The amount of Touhou fanwork out there is fuckin' unreal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tfw when you can't tell if the framerate is awful or if it's just YouTube

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

i can't remember why i made this, but i assume it was a good idea at the time

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love when someone puts effort into a meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjX70rRtM-g&hd=1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zetsubou-san posted:

i can't remember why i made this, but i assume it was a good idea at the time

Take it to the BFC Bad With Money thread, they'll appreciate it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Sunless Sea in case you were wondering, or even if you weren't.

assorted finds:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The White Wolf thing lately is that there's a guy in charge of it now who's bringing back all the groan-worthy poo poo from the 90s and wanting to like, comment on ISIS and poo poo. And by comment on ISIS we mean have vampire NPCs in pre-generated materials who are just, at random, terrorists.

Also that Sunless Sea stuff is pretty solid, especially the one with the saree lady.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You shoulda seen the first draft writeups of Beast, which is basically 'You are a monster that kills and eats people, and for some reason some people really want to kill you for this, but they're total self-righteous jerks who don't appreciate how special you are'.

It's a pity, they were on a pretty good roll with Mirrors and the new Mummy actually being really cool.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

JAA'M HAS THE APPLE SAUCE THAT YOU CRAVE

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

You shoulda seen the first draft writeups of Beast, which is basically 'You are a monster that kills and eats people, and for some reason some people really want to kill you for this, but they're total self-righteous jerks who don't appreciate how special you are'.

It's a pity, they were on a pretty good roll with Mirrors and the new Mummy actually being really cool.

That's Onyx Path, which is technically a different company but staffed by White Wolf's old people- There were a bunch of layoffs in 2011 that led to them splitting off. I want to say they're the good guys versus White Wolf proper, but Beast is loving atrocious and outright offensive at points, and it's a shame they're still pushing it and including it in things.

Kavak has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Aug 6, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Can confirm that Beast is trash garbage and you should never let anyone try and convince you otherwise.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Screaming Idiot posted:

JAA'M HAS THE APPLE SAUCE THAT YOU CRAVE

Backpack is where he puts his applesauce.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's beast, and also, what's mirrors and what's cool about mummy, I never really looked into what mummy's whole "thing" was

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What's Beast

A lot of things, none of them good.

But in any kind of seriousness, it's another "You play a baaaad person" game except with none of the fun or at least interesting things really that make others like that cool. The antagonists of Beast are flat out called "Heroes" and boy, that's as dumb and bad as you think it probably will be in a lot of cases, notable mention I can think of off the top of my head is one someone mentioned that's a late teen girl or something like that who killed a beast that tried to get them, which had been written with some pretty rapey writing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sorry, I meant more like "what is it" as in like....well, what are they?

Like, werewolf is werewolves, mage is mages, vampire is vampires, changeling is changelings. Is beast just some new inhuman creature, is it a separate werecreature type thing, an addition to werewolf, or is it Big Foot Simulator, or what?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Like, werewolf is werewolves, mage is mages, vampire is vampires, changeling is changelings. Is beast just some new inhuman creature, is it a separate werecreature type thing, an addition to werewolf, or is it Big Foot Simulator, or what?

Otherkin sociopaths who never actually turn into crazy things though, except on failing some rolls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why'd you remove "weird" from that post :v:

Does beast allow for the true otherkin experience of "I am actually a dragon from another planet who has tons of children"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What are you even talking about?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Why'd you remove "weird" from that post :v:

Does beast allow for the true otherkin experience of "I am actually a dragon from another planet who has tons of children"

I realized it was redundant when put before otherkin.

Paladinus posted:

A bad RPG.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Originally, Beasts people born with monsters instead of souls that go and create fear so people learn hard lessons. Only it was all petty meanness and hosed up bullshit that only taught 'you are weak, I am strong, therefore I hurt you' and came across as a really bad metaphor for how groups like the LGBT community are legit monsters and should embrace it. They then changed it to people coming in contact with the monster they become in their dreams and making the conscious decision to replace their soul with it.

Heroes (who are the baddies) are people who have had 'contact' with the Beast and now hunt them, with said contact being torture, torment or some form of violation perpetrated against them. And every other splat in the nWoD is apparently super friendly with Beasts and think they're the bee's knees even though they'd all recoil immediately from their behavior, and a portion of them would probably respond to a Beast by killing it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Paladinus posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455895

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I know what otherkins are. What the hell is Beast?

But it's a funny thread, thank you for the link.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tasoth posted:

Originally, Beasts people born with monsters instead of souls that go and create fear so people learn hard lessons. Only it was all petty meanness and hosed up bullshit that only taught 'you are weak, I am strong, therefore I hurt you' and came across as a really bad metaphor for how groups like the LGBT community are legit monsters and should embrace it. They then changed it to people coming in contact with the monster they become in their dreams and making the conscious decision to replace their soul with it.

Heroes (who are the baddies) are people who have had 'contact' with the Beast and now hunt them, with said contact being torture, torment or some form of violation perpetrated against them. And every other splat in the nWoD is apparently super friendly with Beasts and think they're the bee's knees even though they'd all recoil immediately from their behavior, and a portion of them would probably respond to a Beast by killing it.

And in the rest of the cases, Beasts are flat out infringing on their turf. They really don't do anything that the other WoD monsters don't already do, usually better. (Though that's almost cheating with Changelings as they cover nearly anything, but still) Even the fanmade WoD expansions manage to do a better job coming up with original concepts based on horror archetypes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ratoslov posted:

I have never known how badly I wanted this now.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Paladinus posted:

They're literally otherkin, who get some psychic powers. In the real world they're just human shaped. Their soul is anything that represents fundamental human fears, meaning one of 5 things:
Giants
Ugly things
Things in the dark
Things in the ocean
Birds
They can take on their ~true form~ in their ~Nightmare lair~, and they have to torture and kill people to ~feed their soul~.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Paladinus posted:

Beast: The Primordial is a tabletop RPG set in White Wolf's Chronicles of Darkness, also known as the New World of Darkness, where you play a person who has the soul of a monster and decided "gently caress it, I'm gonna be a monster."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dilb posted:

They're literally otherkin, who get some psychic powers. In the real world they're just human shaped. Their soul is anything that represents fundamental human fears, meaning one of 5 things:
Giants
Ugly things
Things in the dark
Things in the ocean
Birds
They can take on their ~true form~ in their ~Nightmare lair~, and they have to torture and kill people to ~feed their soul~.

Waffleman_ posted:

Beast: The Primordial is a tabletop RPG set in White Wolf's Chronicles of Darkness, also known as the New World of Darkness, where you play a person who has the soul of a monster and decided "gently caress it, I'm gonna be a monster."

So they're for vampires to laugh about when they explode them for fun? Like, it seems like they're kinda outgunned in WoD.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So they're for vampires to laugh about when they explode them for fun? Like, it seems like they're kinda outgunned in WoD.

To be fair, WoD has never been about inter-line balance, Mages can pretty much wreck everyone. But thematically, they're very poorly done.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

To be fair, WoD has never been about inter-line balance, Mages can pretty much wreck everyone. But thematically, they're very poorly done.

Hell, half the fun of Hunter is being a regular dude desperately trying to kill stuff that Vampire and Werewolf players wouldn't blink an eye at (such as vampires and werewolves)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm so glad I never got too deep into WoD back in the day. I remember some of the splats having interesting ideas but none of it seemed too fun or casual to actually RP with anyone. One former friend told me he tried to run Wraith once and the session ended in tears. Who wants that?

Dilb posted:

Giant ugly things in the dark ocean and also birds

What's stopping anyone from being a big fuckoff shark monster that protects kids from abusers or something? Teaming up to protect kids and maybe killing a horrible NPC would probably be playable.

Is there a thread for this in Traditional Games so we don't derail too much more?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm so glad I never got too deep into WoD back in the day. I remember some of the splats having interesting ideas but none of it seemed too fun or casual to actually RP with anyone. One former friend told me he tried to run Wraith once and the session ended in tears. Who wants that?

Hunter is the most fun I've had with WoD because we were playing a game set in Japan and I played an otaku who worked at a convenience store who stumbled into monster hunting because he hit a yokai with a baseball bat during a graveyard shift once.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

One former friend told me he tried to run Wraith once and the session ended in tears. Who wants that?

Wraith isn't really representative of the rest of the WOD - it's basically Nihilism: The Game, and while it's very thematic it's absolutely miserable to play because the very best outcome your character can hope for is to become part of the oppressive bureaucracy of the dead instead of literally being turned into a paving stone for the rest of eternity.

In fairness to White Wolf, IIRC they figured that out pretty early on and never really did anything with the line for years after the first edition was released.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

Hunter is the most fun I've had with WoD because we were playing a game set in Japan and I played an otaku who worked at a convenience store who stumbled into monster hunting because he hit a yokai with a baseball bat during a graveyard shift once.

I like Hunter as opposed to the rest of the World of Darkness stuff, because it's a complete flip of the script-instead of being ultra-powerful supernatural beings focused on loving over other ultra-powerful supernatural beings, you're a bunch of regular dudes desperately trying to survive against all the incredibly horrifying bullshit the setting has to offer. There's a lot of fun to be had there and I'm personally a big fan, as opposed to the rest of the WoD games which I don't have any real interest in playing.

Anyway, content:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

x

• Locked thread