Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there an easy way of accessing the emoji menu on desktop? Other than clicking the touchscreen keyboard button, but I want that hidden so it doesn't take up taskbar space when I'm never going to use it.

They're adding an emoji IME (⌘; or ⌘.) to the Fall Creators Update.

EDIT: I don't use Insider builds enough to justify spinning a VM for them and I don't have enough computers to give it a physical system to use, so I don't know if that covers Win32 apps or just UWP apps.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

I've done all that and it works but after about 20 minutes my start menu freezes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jan posted:

Not in Creators Update, there isn't.

The only way to disable notifications is to disable the security centre altogether. Pretty sure someone brought it up not so long ago, but for the antivirus instead...

This is what I meant.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Titan posted:

I've done all that and it works but after about 20 minutes my start menu freezes.

That link had a file you can download to uninstall cortana which seems to have done the trick. Only problem is now some of my anti-virus stuff can no longer be disabled or changed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How are people using this in an office environment? We had 3 people update this week and their computer was essentially down in the morning for over an hour while it did its thing.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Niwrad posted:

How are people using this in an office environment? We had 3 people update this week and their computer was essentially down in the morning for over an hour while it did its thing.

Your IT dept sucks?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

c0burn posted:

Your IT dept sucks?

Probably. But if someone does Shut Down and Update at the end of the night, they're kind of hosed in the morning. Like why does an update take 90 minutes? Why is this version of Windows the only one that seems to have to go through this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Probably. But if someone does Shut Down and Update at the end of the night, they're kind of hosed in the morning. Like why does an update take 90 minutes? Why is this version of Windows the only one that seems to have to go through this?

If it's the 1703 feature update, it's more or less a full windows upgrade install.

Your IT dept still sucks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My experience with Windows 10 (work and personal) is that it updates faster than 7 did.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Good god they replaced the calc.exe with a new one that is "pinned" where it's opened (can't be dragged+moved) :psyduck:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there an easy way of accessing the emoji menu on desktop? Other than clicking the touchscreen keyboard button, but I want that hidden so it doesn't take up taskbar space when I'm never going to use it.

windows key then period if you are on the creators update

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Good god they replaced the calc.exe with a new one that is "pinned" where it's opened (can't be dragged+moved) :psyduck:
wat?

I'm dragging the UWP calculator all over the place all the time. :confused:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just checked mine, can still jiggle it all about the place.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Check to make sure that you're grabbing the very specific titlebar area to move it, even though you can't see where the title bar actually is because it's all one solid color.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Pro edtion here, with updates managed through SCCM and group policy. Updates don't just happen at random.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
So they removed the Control Panel link from the right-click Start Menu and I want to loving murder someone.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

So they removed the Control Panel link from the right-click Start Menu and I want to loving murder someone.

Same here. I am being driving insane by windows 10 updates.. slowly.

Not only that, the first start menu (RTM) with WORDS was far FAR better than this piece of poo poo. Dammit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

If you're quick with the keyboard... WIN+R, type "control" and hit enter.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I know there are a bunch of ways to get there, I'm just annoyed that they removed one of the few features introduced back in 8/8.1 that I used constantly.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

astral posted:

If it's the 1703 feature update, it's more or less a full windows upgrade install.

Your IT dept still sucks.

Actually it's Windows 10 that loving sucks.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there any kind of fix for Windows 10 never going into sleep mode? Even if I set it to fall asleep after 5 minutes it never does. I ran a couple of google'd diagnostic commands and everything looked normal. (It did work at one time but quit working after some update from the past couple months) It still fails to work even after clean installs.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 5, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What apps do you have running? Plugged in devices? They will sometimes prevent sleep, a video player app being an obvious example. Maybe try booting into Safe Mode to be extra sure when testing?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I just have control panel pinned to task bar, altough I don't use it that often.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

I feel your pain bro. Luckily, there's this convenient program. WinXEditor to the rescue:
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30

Edit: you want to add a shortcut to "%windir%\system32\control.exe"

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Backyarr posted:

I feel your pain bro. Luckily, there's this convenient program. WinXEditor to the rescue:

Hey thanks man. That actually works and is easy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Backyarr posted:

Not all heroes wear capes.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Backyarr posted:

Not that it's a concern anymore since I got a new job, but it was a bigger problem when I would move from machine to machine.

Good suggestion.

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
The creators update started giving me really bad stutter in BF1.
I disabled the game mode and I installed the latest nvidia drivers.
I am running f.lux, so maybe I need to disable the night light thing in windows itself?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jethz posted:

The creators update started giving me really bad stutter in BF1.
I disabled the game mode and I installed the latest nvidia drivers.
I am running f.lux, so maybe I need to disable the night light thing in windows itself?

Yeah they're going to fight each other. (Also if there's an OEM white balance controller (Lenovo.) that will go steel cage with f.lux and Windows Night Light.)

I ended up dropping f.lux for Night Light because f.lux dragged my Intel IGP-based system into the ground and I'd rather have the same software in as many places as possible. Maybe it doesn't do that anymore but :effort:.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just dropped f.lux as well after using it for years. It had more flexibility but I always forget to switch it off before gaming and the stuttering during transition always happens at the worst time. The Windows thing doesn't seem to have any performance impact when it switches.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Flux is in the Store now, I don't know if that makes any difference to performance though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to make Windows Firewall alert you and present choice for what to do when a new program tries connecting to the internet?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Defender is set to scan my computer automatically daily, but it doesn't, and occasionally prompts me to run it manually.

Is there some setting buggered somewhere? Also why does it show a toast popup that it's ran? It bugged me to do something it should do automatically, then tells me it's found.... nothing. Seems weird AF?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to make Windows Firewall alert you and present choice for what to do when a new program tries connecting to the internet?

That's the default setting. It's in the control panel under notification settings. In my experience it only pops up when it's trying to open a server socket, and not just opening a connection.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to describe to people how to get around the new interface and settings stuff is a goddamn nightmare.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Rexxed posted:

That's the default setting. It's in the control panel under notification settings. In my experience it only pops up when it's trying to open a server socket, and not just opening a connection.
Windows Firewall prompts only when a program wants to listen for incoming connections, and allows you to choose which tiers of networks it's allowed to listen to. I do not believe there is a way to get it to operate like some of the paranoid third-party firewalls where outbound traffic is also prompted. You can of course block all outbound traffic by default and manually create allow rules, but you're not going to get anything easy.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The third party app Windows Firewall Notifier is probably what you want.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

redeyes posted:

Trying to describe to people how to get around the new interface and settings stuff is a goddamn nightmare.

I just rely on the search function because they have hosed up settings so much. It's a terrible trade off because if I don't know, specifically, what I'm looking for, I'm probably hosed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Do people find Settings hard to navigate? I thought the layout was pretty self explanatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Do people find Settings hard to navigate? I thought the layout was pretty self explanatory.

Settings isn't hard if you're not a dum dum. But the problem is that 2 years into Windows 10 Settings still has hard links to Control Panel for half the necessary things you might want to do to your computer. It's silly and dumb.