Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I have a dream, that someday movie theaters will be freed from the tyranny of endless lovely superhero movies for children and those with childlike mentality, uninspired sequels, and reboots that no one ever asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

I remember someone offered a interpretation of the whole thing, that it was intentionally a comic solution from a comic book character (Ozymandias) for a huge real life problem (the Cold war and the prospect of nuclear conflict). In that regard Dr Manhattan and the other characters are similar, outlandish comic book tropes clashing with real world problems.

It's still an insane comic-book solution in the movie because the fundamental core of it is "I'll kill millions to unite humanity against a common enemy."

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Medieval Medic posted:

I have a dream, that someday movie theaters will be freed from the tyranny of endless lovely superhero movies, uninspired sequels, and reboots that no one ever asked for.

That day will come.

Because global warming will end all human life on Earth

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

It's still an insane comic-book solution in the movie because the fundamental core of it is "I'll kill millions to unite humanity against a common enemy."

I know, but its kind of a go big or go home situation for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the greatest crime of the watchmen movie is they butchered the best line.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

the greatest crime of the watchmen movie is they butchered the best line.

That sex scene is the one of the most awkward things ever filmed though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was funny as hell tho.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nolan is VolCel. Snyder is InCel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nolan is one of the robots from Westworld

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Captain Lavender posted:

I only saw a few episodes of American Gods, and was really surprised at how little reading the books affected my enjoyment of it. All the visuals and style of it are so vibrant, than knowing what's going to happen barely affected my enjoyment - almost didn't factor in. I think the Hannibal guy worked on it too right? I never saw that. Maybe he just has a gift.

He seems to know exactly what to include or exclude and what the overall tone should be for an adaptation. Like TV show Hannibal is nothing like the movies or books but it still feels like the Thomas Harris universe. American Gods is about as perfect of a Neil Gaiman adaptation as you can get, and it kind of makes me wish for a Sandman series.

Which'll never happen, but anyways.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's really sad that Sandman will never be adapted because the cost would be way too high for something with such a weird premise.

Luckily we are getting an adaptation of Good Omens which is legit my favorite book.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

which is going to be horrific because it entails hiring four nine-year-olds that can act

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

which is going to be horrific because it entails hiring four nine-year-olds that can act

Stranger things have happened.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

Stranger Things has proven that Spielberg isn't the only director on earth who can pull off this Herculean feat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched Turbo Kid last night, and then watched the HItB review to refresh myself on their review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1nd8WPZO_c&t=1111s

Pretty much agree with their review, it's fun, silly and it has good characters you like. The references were not stupid pound you over the head type, but it got a lot of the real subtle things of the 80s in there. The rainbow knee/elbow pads the kid wears especially, my sister had that exact set :haw:

Michael Ironside is great in it too, he makes anything better.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
sand man could work as a cartoon but never live action i believe

jsoh fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 6, 2017

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I find it strange that movie theaters still exist. It's the only physical place we travel to, to consume a prerecorded piece of entertainment. People go to live concerts, plays, and sporting event but hardly ever visit theaters for Fathom recordings or streams of poo poo.

Imagine if you had to go to your local Television Omniplex to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones every week? There is no other business like movie theaters and I am still amazed they exist in the age of groceries delivered via Amazon Prime.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

Imagine if you had to go to your local Television Omniplex to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones every week?

Marvel is trying to get people to do this for their new awful-looking show

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

I find it strange that movie theaters still exist. It's the only physical place we travel to, to consume a prerecorded piece of entertainment. People go to live concerts, plays, and sporting event but hardly ever visit theaters for Fathom recordings or streams of poo poo.

Imagine if you had to go to your local Television Omniplex to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones every week? There is no other business like movie theaters and I am still amazed they exist in the age of groceries delivered via Amazon Prime.

That said, there is something to be said for having a crowd of engaged people around you, it definitely adds to the atmosphere and enjoyment of movies for me. It's more fun to laugh when you're laughing with others, it's fun to hear gasps or cries of "Oh poo poo!" during cool action moments, etc.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

That said, there is something to be said for having a crowd of engaged people around you, it definitely adds to the atmosphere and enjoyment of movies for me. It's more fun to laugh when you're laughing with others, it's fun to hear gasps or cries of "Oh poo poo!" during cool action moments, etc.

Yeah that's what makes movies in a theater fun. The anti-social weirdos will probably complain about it though.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Snatch Duster posted:

The movie theaters that aren't dying are the ones that can afford to copy the Alamo Drafthouse. They serve actual meals and beer alongside snacks, have recliners instead of seats, and provide lounges and bars you can hang out in before and after the movie. They have theme nights and play classic and niche movies along with the current releases. They have to make it more of an experience than just walking in, seeing the movie, and leaving, otherwise they really would cease to exist.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

im going to the movie theatre more than I ever have, mainly because The Music Box and Logan Theatre in Chicago show lots of great old movies.

but there is something very differnet about watching a movie on the big screen with v. loud sound.

it is an experience you cannot get at home.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

a star war betamax posted:

Here's the number one reason josh is bad:

Mike will make a quick, throw away joke and Josh will butt in and say "no no no no no !" and then add some stupid "random lol" element to the joke that derails it instead of playing along. Mike then just kinda has to nod politely and the discussion moves on.

If you don't see a problem with this is it because you probably do the same thing with your circle of friends and it's the reason they don't laugh at your jokes and why they've stopped hanging out with you

here's my take on this: josh is good.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Command Ant posted:

The movie theaters that aren't dying are the ones that can afford to copy the Alamo Drafthouse. They serve actual meals and beer alongside snacks, have recliners instead of seats, and provide lounges and bars you can hang out in before and after the movie. They have theme nights and play classic and niche movies along with the current releases. They have to make it more of an experience than just walking in, seeing the movie, and leaving, otherwise they really would cease to exist.

I wish I lived in a place where this was the case instead of one where one giant chain has killed 90% of small theaters in my lifetime. Apart from a movie archive place that owns extremely hard the small theaters are mainly active during film festivals. Other than that it's the one loving chain with its 15€ tickets for ENDLESS TRASH.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

josh is fine in re:view. he's butt in everything else.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Basically Josh is fine if he's just talking about movies, but he keeps trying to be funny and failing horribly.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I swear it came from an episode of The Outer Limits.

Fake edit: yup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Architects_of_Fear

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

he's good for when mike and rich tell him to shut up

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Mike = the comedian
Rich = rorsharche
Jay = owl man???
Jack = Uhh..... That guy with the moth wings I don't remember his name
Jessi = the origional silk specter
Josh = the squid monster thing at the end.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yug posted:

Yeah that's what makes movies in a theater fun. The anti-social weirdos will probably complain about it though.

Yea I like movie theaters too but they are still an old institution from 100 years ago.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Lynn = ozmodius
The Canadians = those guys in the prison that rorcschoch says "I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with me" to

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Who the gently caress is Lynn?

You mean Len? Len Kabasinski?

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mike = the comedian
Rich = rorsharche
Jay = owl man???

Wasn't silk specter thin?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mike = the comedian
Rich = rorsharche
Jay = owl man???

No Jay is Hooded Justice because he was gay

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yug posted:

Wasn't silk specter thin?

Same could be said for Mike as the Comedian and Rich as Rorshache but you don't object to those :thunk:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

monster on a stick posted:

No Jay is Hooded Justice because he was gay

Which one of them was Hooded Justice's butt-friend?

One of the great things about Alan Moore's writing is that there's always a casual closeted (sometimes pansexual) orgy between friends at one point.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Same could be said for Mike as the Comedian and Rich as Rorshache but you don't object to those :thunk:

Wouldn't that also mean that Mike rapes Jessi? I dunno I just watched the movie once.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

vermin posted:

Which one of them was Hooded Justice's butt-friend?

Captain Metropolis.

naem
May 29, 2011

priznat posted:

I watched Turbo Kid last night, and then watched the HItB review to refresh myself on their review:

Pretty much agree with their review, it's fun, silly and it has good characters you like. The references were not stupid pound you over the head type, but it got a lot of the real subtle things of the 80s in there. The rainbow knee/elbow pads the kid wears especially, my sister had that exact set :haw:

Michael Ironside is great in it too, he makes anything better.

It's one of my absolute favorite things I've ever seen in my entire life. But then I was born in post apocalyptic 1980's Detroit

violent sex idiot posted:

sand man could work as a cartoon but never live action i believe

Everyone in the 90's seemed to have the same consensual hallucination that there are cool spooky goth/vampire looking people in black trench coats hanging out just out of view, for some reason, so making movies etc with that as a premise was just accepted as "that thing people like."

I don't know that that's the case today so I'm not sure how they could adapt the Sandman as much as I'd like them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

priznat posted:

"Noooooooooooooooooooo, is that him? Noooooooooooooooooooo."

"...That's a great story."

• Locked thread