Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sports and politics have always been joined at the hip. The breathless coverage of this particular issue got loving old though. It reminded me of evangelicals and their hard on for the Tebow issue.
i realize sports and politics are inseparable, but there's a difference between, say, diving deep into the Neymar transfer and its many levels of awfulness (seriously, it's so bad) and just writing another scolding essay about Kaepernick, or Aroldis Chapman, or Bobby Hull. but people are doing the latter far more than the former

it reminds me of Will Leitch talking about the early days of Deadspin on a hockey podcast. at one point, he said that he didn't think that he should write articles that people would agree with just because they're coming from Deadspin. he mentioned that Tommy Craggs disagreed with him. that's very telling because when he took over, it got real self-important real quick

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Last night I was bored and decided I might as well watch Broad City to see what the fuss is about. It happened to be the Hillary episode and I am still shaking. That is my Broad City story
the middle of season three was a low point for more than just that moment. the rest of the show is good, i swear

PYF reminded me of a different time when Marvel laid politics on very thick. at least they reversed course from this idiocy

FutureCop posted:

Forgive me for crossing over to another form of media, but there were a few Marvel comics that brought 9/11 into their stories.

Here's Spiderman getting chewed out for not stopping it from happening:

And here are Marvel villains Magneto, Doc Ock, and even Dr.Doom crying over the disaster:

A cursory glance seems to show that the reception felt it was incredibly ham-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

at least they reversed course from this idiocy

they did not

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

538 does both sports and politics too, but manage to avoid being awful about it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ThankYouReebok

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It can be done and can be done well.

Jeremy Schaap, Bob Ley, Bryan Gumbel and if you can believe it? Keith Olbermann can pull off being serious about politics within sports. (Purely politics is a big fail though).

Those are...very rarely the type of people talking up "hot takes" about a guy like Kaepernick (left) or Tebow (right) though. I kinda view the names i mentioned as the sports media version of programs like "Front line", "60 minutes" or something akin to a Matt Taibbi or Glenn Greenwald article. They're fascinating, well researched and tell the stories that need to be told.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

grantland could do a good job too. These Football Times is an excellent place for soccer articles and that includes soccer/politics intersections like clubs in Egypt that have no fans and exist solely because of government patronage. but those are harder to write and have less of a widespread appeal than more handwringing over lavar ball being an rear end in a top hat

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
post more Woke brands and less thousand word synopsis of said brand please

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

get that OUT of my face posted:

PYF reminded me of a different time when Marvel laid politics on very thick. at least they reversed course from this idiocy

i could see doc ock and kingpin being sad about 9/11. they are new yorkers. doom wouldnt care apart from maybe send a "condolences" to the US. and magneto would be the guy talking about how they all deserved it because they were mutant hating humans.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The single coolest thing in Marvel canon is how none of the approximately 9,001 superpowered people living in New York City could stop a ragtag gang of Saudis from destroying the World Trade Center

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The single coolest thing in Marvel canon is how none of the approximately 9,001 superpowered people living in New York City could stop a ragtag gang of Saudis from destroying the World Trade Center

the heroes were too busy chasing monologuing mustache-twirlers in spandex

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Wonder woman setting up WWII in the first movie and her apparently coming back to fight the Soviets in the sequel is incredibly :thunk:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

Wonder woman setting up WWII in the first movie and her apparently coming back to fight the Soviets in the sequel is incredibly :thunk:

probaly because ww2 while way more black and white also had genocide(plus captain america movie did it sorta)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

They colluded with Bush to allow it to happen in order to drive up demand of their services in concert with the military industrial complex

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blue Train posted:

They colluded with Bush to allow it to happen in order to drive up demand of their services in concert with the military industrial complex

The Boys was not really a good comic

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

538 sucks rear end you idiots

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wow that terrible. see marvel at least did it right with Kamala Khan, a Muslim girl who is a actual character. this just feels dumb.

DC had a Muslim Green Lantern, and a Muslim Dr Fate

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wait what she's going to be fighting soviets in WW2? uh do the film makers realize who the soviets were fighting

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Wait what she's going to be fighting soviets in WW2? uh do the film makers realize who the soviets were fighting

he means instead of coming back for WW2 she's coming back during the cold war to fight soviets

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Venom Snake posted:

She'll be fighting the vile sandinistas (also I thought the first movie was supposed to be WW1)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

she's coming back to exterminate the palestinians jeez guys did you even read the leaked script

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

he means instead of coming back for WW2 she's coming back during the cold war to fight soviets

Oh, well what are they even going to have her do? Fight in Korea or Vietnam? Like do they only want her fighting in pointless wars that didn't need to happen

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

They need to go all the way and give her a raunchy SS dominatrix uniform. Warner Bros. proudly presents: Wunderfrau, She-Wolf of the CIA

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

no, the coolest part is that a bunch of un-rehabilitated supervillians arrived to help out with the rescue and recovery. magneto lifted girders to save trapped civilians. dr. doom cried

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

what about Juggernaut destroying the WTC in 1991

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Aug 6, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Oh, well what are they even going to have her do? Fight in Korea or Vietnam? Like do they only want her fighting in pointless wars that didn't need to happen

she will be fighting alongside bin Laden in afghanistan with the brave fighters of the mujahideen

now that i think of it they should have had her in the invasion of Grenada to save the brave soldiers who crashed their helicopters into each other

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly because ww2 while way more black and white also had genocide(plus captain america movie did it sorta)

ww1 also had genocide, although not according to wonder woman

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

of course she'd side with the decadent turks

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wonder Woman pacifies German South-west Africa.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Breakfast All Day posted:

very true. though it happend through the war and into 1923.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Extra Credits is the most puerile thing I've ever seen. They claim to be educational, informative, and entertaining and they never reach the goal of even being one of those things.

"Let's describe a concept, then show you a couple basic examples of that concept. Let's ask a bunch of questions that might have interesting answers if we actually wanted to dive into this concept beyond a surface level. Aren't those neat sounding questions? Sure would be great if we had answers for them! See ya next week!"

All while speeding up the main dude's voice because...I really don't know why.

Do you think the person who does Extra Credits could be trans or non-binary and speeds up their voice to conceal their identity? That's just a theory (A GAME THEORY!) but I figured they wanted to avoid harassment because it doesn't seem like anyone would favor the sped up voice as an aesthetic choice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Do you think the person who does Extra Credits could be trans or non-binary and speeds up their voice to conceal their identity? That's just a theory (A GAME THEORY!) but I figured they wanted to avoid harassment because it doesn't seem like anyone would favor the sped up voice as an aesthetic choice.

idk maybe. i always assumed he was cis dude who wanted to emulate yahtzee. i am not the biggest fan(some of his game videos are loving awful) but i'll take him to john green and his dumb gently caress brother doing terrible lit and history courses.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's shmorky

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Is this the same as the idea behind identifying black people over the phone?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

You're all thinking way too hard about this, he just makes his voice sound silly because he's a weird creep who thinks making a silly voice gives him an edge over the thousands of other useless culture critics on YouTube.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What the gently caress do you think Daredevil could do about a 747?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

That had literally never occurred to me, no.

Because it's loving stupid.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

What the gently caress do you think Daredevil could do about a 747?

he'd hear it coming

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

#woke # brands: do you think the person who does Extra Credits could be trans or non-binary and speeds up their voice to concea pg 1/179

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is non-binary, sounds like some nerd poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crane Fist posted:

What the gently caress is non-binary, sounds like some nerd poo poo

it's not, it's just people who don't feel if the strict gender roles of male or female align with their identity. it says a lot more about the people who get mad about it than the people who feel that way when people make posts like this.