Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stone Ocean is it at it's most shonen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Pluto > Monster > 20 CB

I still have to read Billy Bat. Seems a crazy series with Urasawa being a parody of himself.

Billy Bat is one of the greatest manga ever created. FTW.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I unfortunately spoiled myself on Billy Bat because it just popped up on MS randomly during its last chapters and it talked about 9/11 so I wanted to amuse myself by reading all of it out of context.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
pretty disappointed in the cliche 'trucking' in solanin. overall it was alright though

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I loooooved Billy Bat, but it was also kinda frustrating because it has all of Urasawa's trademarks, including going on way too long. But I never actually went back and finished it, hopefully it has a more satisfying ending than 21st Century Boys.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just read the chapter where Heracles fought Pluto and goddamn it's so creepy and terrifying whenever they know Pluto is coming and they just have to wait there an prepare for death basically. Goddamn I am enjoying this manga so much, can't wait to read more tomorrow! Just starting into the chapter/s about Gesicht and Adolf's brother and what happened there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Willsun posted:

Does anyone else in here read All-Rounder Meguru? I'm no superfan of MMA that knows exactly what moves they're talking about all the time, but I am really really interested in this sports manga that isn't magical flame punches.

It sucks that translations got dropped and now a pretty slow group is the only one doing it. I found it was licensed and they started pushing English volumes out this year, but they're only on volume 4. It's either wait a year and a half before they're completely done with official translations to buy, or wait 5 years for the fan translations to finish based on their average speed.

I read it. As you, I'm waiting on scanlations.

It's a 'very straight' sport series. Very focused on the matches, although it started in a way that it seemed the author wanted to put some drama but it got mysteriously dropped, lol.
The matches, even if they are purely realistic and without 'secret techniques' BS, I like them because he draws them in a way you can perfectly see the joint locks, the holds the transitions between each, all that stuff that is harder to show in a drawing because it's very close combat, with a a player on top of other, unlike simple punches or kicks. Even if I don't have interest in real life MMA, heh.

That said, it's a bit underwhelming as a series coming from Hiroki Endo, because he showed in his previous works (Hiroki Endo's short stories, Eden) a very good hand for drama.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Willsun posted:

Does anyone else in here read All-Rounder Meguru? I'm no superfan of MMA that knows exactly what moves they're talking about all the time, but I am really really interested in this sports manga that isn't magical flame punches.

It sucks that translations got dropped and now a pretty slow group is the only one doing it. I found it was licensed and they started pushing English volumes out this year, but they're only on volume 4. It's either wait a year and a half before they're completely done with official translations to buy, or wait 5 years for the fan translations to finish based on their average speed.

It's the best poo poo. Unfortunately very slow scans

Gonna buy all the volumes if they come out in good time, i just Love slice of life type stuff

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
If you like MMA manga without stupid shounen power level secret fireball technique bullshit, I recommend Teppu. It pretty much got canceled due to artist's health problems although it got a sort of open ending. There's 30something chapters and it is pretty good, if short.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Although it really sucks that Teppu had to end early because of the author's worry of mounting health problems, at least it ended with best girl winning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Willsun posted:

I enjoy it, kinda breaks down some of the fights into almost a chess-move like approach at times which is interesting. And yeah, hard to get into it much though since it's pretty randomly released. Seconding other recommendations for Teppu. If you liked Meguru then you'd probably like Teppu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Relin posted:

pretty disappointed in the cliche 'trucking' in solanin. overall it was alright though

Solanin is probably Asano's most stereotypical/publicly accessible manga (and it became one of his most popular manga, if not the most, as a result; I think there was even a live action movie adaptation). I agree that it isn't particularly interesting, though I still enjoyed it.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Begemot posted:

I loooooved Billy Bat, but it was also kinda frustrating because it has all of Urasawa's trademarks, including going on way too long. But I never actually went back and finished it, hopefully it has a more satisfying ending than 21st Century Boys.

I just went back and finished Billy Bat earlier this week. Its ending hits a lot of the running themes that Urasawa has in his work and draws a lot of parallels to 20th Century Boys.

I thought it was a satisfying ending in a very morose and sad way that is fitting for his kind of writing.

BILLY BAT ENDING SPOILERS:
I did really like that it ended with the end of the Pharoh's Tomb arc. I just didn't like how it didn't really give context or explain what happened to the world at the end of the manga. I think Naoki Urasawa's read about the future of the world is also incredibly grim, but there's ultimately a lot of optimism in it. He seems particularly optimistic about how art can prevent mass destruction of the world and its resources. He also seems to really love the idea of how noble it is to pass this art down from one generation to another. The story basically ends with how this process is what ultimately saves the world. I just wished we could see how that happens!

I do like how he tears apart the idea of a muse in art or media. The story seems to argue that Billy Bat was essential for the development of mankind, but humanity cannot be reliant on such a muse because it will run out one day.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

:stare:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
was the mechanical drawing on the scroll ever explained in billy bat?

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Weirdly, that's the tip of the iceberg.
It gets more ridiculous further into the manga...

Relin posted:

was the mechanical drawing on the scroll ever explained in billy bat?

I don't remember what you meant. I only read that last two volumes to catch the end.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pigasus posted:

Weirdly, that's the tip of the iceberg.
It gets more ridiculous further into the manga...
I'm aware to a degree. I'm at 55 presently and struggle to imagine over a hundred more chapters.

e:

MAN IT'S A GOOD THING I GAVE THIS poo poo ANOTHER SHOT

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 5, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just got to Tenma's return but he's saying Atom still can't be saved :saddowns: I'll start reading again in the morning! I can't tell if he's an aloof poo poo or an evil maniac poo poo just yet. Uran said it feels like someone died twice clearly referring to Tobio and Atom so i am hoping the former!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

THE ORANGE SCENE

e: You. Can't. Steal. People's. Stuff. gently caress

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is Billy Bat worth reading in the end? I remember trying to read it a long time ago and being kind of confused.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That was my brief experience with it but I'm going through it now and it loving rules. I don't like it as much as Pluto though.

Anyway, 95: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
"What if Mickey Mouse was a god like figure that actually originated from Japan and if you draw him well you can tap into his knowledge. Also there's a bad Mickey Mouse who will tell you to do things that will bring the end of the world but there's no way to tell" loving rules

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That

that is not what I thought Walt's deal would be

125:
Kind of shocking that after all that time, Finney and Kurusu just... dropped out of the game.

e: done

weird ending

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 5, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

OneDeadman posted:

"What if Mickey Mouse was a god like figure that actually originated from Japan and if you draw him well you can tap into his knowledge. Also there's a bad Mickey Mouse who will tell you to do things that will bring the end of the world but there's no way to tell" loving rules

It's only now that I realize I have been confusing Billy Bat with Paranoia Agent.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Billy Bat's ending is 100% perfect and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And that's Monster reread. Liked it a lot more than when I was a teenager but it does meander a bit more than needed.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

OneDeadman posted:

armed with this knowledge what chapter near the end could I skip to? I usually don't have the patience for the Urasawa midgame

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Turin Turambar posted:

I read it. As you, I'm waiting on scanlations.

It's a 'very straight' sport series. Very focused on the matches, although it started in a way that it seemed the author wanted to put some drama but it got mysteriously dropped, lol.
The matches, even if they are purely realistic and without 'secret techniques' BS, I like them because he draws them in a way you can perfectly see the joint locks, the holds the transitions between each, all that stuff that is harder to show in a drawing because it's very close combat, with a a player on top of other, unlike simple punches or kicks. Even if I don't have interest in real life MMA, heh.

That said, it's a bit underwhelming as a series coming from Hiroki Endo, because he showed in his previous works (Hiroki Endo's short stories, Eden) a very good hand for drama.

The super-cool sports rival (WITH YAKUZA CONNECTIONS~~) is IMO the dumbest/most boring part of Meguru, and I was glad when that whole mess got sidelined for dozens of chapters at a time. Wouldn't mind if it just got dropped entirely. Just let Our Boy explore this wonderful gay sport of ours.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EmmyOk posted:

I don't read much manga tbh and what I do read is usually some manner of Shonen the exceptions being JoJo and recently Berserk. I'm planning to try "I am a Hero" next because I've been watching that show where Urasawa goes around interviewing other mangaka on how they draw and that dude's art was amazing.

e: I used to read Liar Game when it was still coming out but the release schedule was too random, and I read a lot of Vagabond and that ruled.

I am a hero is extremely good but ends poorly depending on what you wanted out of it. If you read it as being about hideo and nobody else outside of the side stories, it's a fine ending. If you expect everything to be explained and wrapped up neatly it will disappoint you.

I don't think the ending was GOOD but it didn't infuriate me like some others were.

Also if you're reading shonen I forget if you read one piece but you should read that if you're not yet. It's been on an insanely good tear for the last few hundred chapters, outside of a couple pitfalls during the dressrosa arc. The current arc is the best shonen I've read in basically ever.

Relin posted:

This is what ruined solanin for me. Like I saw it coming a mile away and it felt terribly hamhanded. Which is a shame because until that point it was a fantastic series.

I can't think of a series where Trucking has been done well, really. It outright ruined Fuuka, for example. Christ I think that might be up there with usagi drop for "series that makes me the angriest with the direction it took"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What are some good, fairly longer martial arts series I should look at? I already read baki, kengan asura, All rounder meguru. I don't particularly mind if its not realistic so long as its not too stupid

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

What are some good, fairly longer martial arts series I should look at? I already read baki, kengan asura, All rounder meguru. I don't particularly mind if its not realistic

ooh, ooh! read riki-oh!

Jose posted:

so long as its not too stupid

oh, wait. don't read riki-oh.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Jose posted:

What are some good, fairly longer martial arts series I should look at? I already read baki, kengan asura, All rounder meguru. I don't particularly mind if its not realistic so long as its not too stupid

Garouden from the Baki author is a good bet if Baki is your bag. Shame it never got a finished translation I don't think.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

Do you want to read about a specific martial art in manga form, or something woven with the story itself?

Some good picks (imo) that might fly under the radar.

Cestus, about a slave boxer child finding his way in the Roman empire. Lots of boxing. Can't vouche for historical accuracy, but it's good. Evil Heart is a about a hosed up kid reinventing himlself trought the power of Aikido. More drama-oriented but you might like it. Unfortunally few chapters translated. Holyland, a socially awkward kid discover an uncanny talend for boxing. A little stupid but the author knows the subject well enought.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru, Holyland, Tough, that one where the kid murders his parents and learns karate in juvie whose name I can't remember.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ooh, ooh! read riki-oh!

oh, wait. don't read riki-oh.

too stupid is like Aiki.

i've read everything suggested so far except for cestus and evil heart so i'll give those a go

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru, Holyland, Tough, that one where the kid murders his parents and learns karate in juvie whose name I can't remember.

Shamo, yes. It's great till a certain point.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Kohinata Minoru would be a lot better if there wasn't a recurring character who is a funny rapist

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Fist of the North Star is a martial arts manga!
/half kidding.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After finishing with I am a Hero, I've been reading again more manga. I think I've read:

-China Girl, a very bland romance about a guy who happens to fall in love with a restaurant worker
-Junk, which is a hilarious edgy antighero/vigilante comic
-Yaotsukumo, what I usually call 'seinen in quotes', it's one of those shonen with people with katanas and magical powers but with more blood.
-Billionaire Girl, another dull romance, it as the gimmick of the girl being millionaire but gimmick don't save it from being so forgettable
-Midnight Secretary, a smutty shojo with vampires in office, which is exactly as predictable one would imagine
-A Zoo in the Winter, SoL on a comic artist learning to live a different kind of life
-Ichigeki Sachu, about chibi robots killing lots of roached??
-Hanaotoko, SoL/sports of a very different father and son reconnecting their lives.

And from that list the only one worth something were, unsurprisingly, A zoo in the Winter and Hanaotoko; as they are exactly from the two recognized authors, Jiro Taniguchi (The Walking Man, A distant Neighborhood) and Taiyo Matsumto (Ping Pong, No. 5) respectively .

A Zoo in Winter is actually one of the minor works of Taniguchi, but as usual he is well above most author so what for him is a minor work, it's actually realistic story of a designer discovering a new life between manga artist and night life in the city, with a touch of nostalgia that with the usual craftsmanship of the author it engages you more than you would think at first. It only fails a bit (by being too typical) with the trite love story, that feels forced at the end of the manga to finish it. Funnily, the zoo of the title barely appears in the story!

Hanaotoko left me cold for the first pair of chapters, but Matsumoto's charm opens through, it takes place in the real world but it has that slightly surreal or almost magical realism touch in the vibe of the city and the pace that first feels weird and later it's an endearing point, and helps in pushing the 'feel-good' message of this comic, it's a world without cynicism, and as the main character grow closer and close, you can't avoid have a smile on your face. Oh yeah and baseball. Matsumoto likes the sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Gamaran is pretty cool if you want something that isn't quite realistic but also isn't outright fantasy. It involves people with weapons.