Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

uh no. this still makes them an undemocratic institution governed by party insiders. just get rid of them or make them bound by their state's popular vote proportionally.

don't get me wrong, this would be the compromise position. ideally, bound to state results would be better, and doing away with them entirely would be best. But the ultimate goal would be to force an actual change in democratic strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe now would be a good time to have one of those sit-ins that the Democrats used because they wanted the "no-fly list" to be re-used to make a "no gun list"

Too bad I'm too lazy to sit anywhere but in front of my PC

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

Democratic Party is straight up rigged, please let it die.

lol if u think u will be granted such mercy

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/894193684886863873

Nina turner being a good dem on CNN.

the replies :shepface:

maybe if stating someone's professional stances, policy positions, and voting record constitute an "attack", that person has problematic professional stances, policy positions, and voting record

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Vox Nihili posted:

no one has been anointed yet.

i mean, outside of a tiny, deranged twitter circlejerk.

quote:

Earlier this month, Harris met with several top Clinton donors in the Hamptons and attended a luncheon hosted for her by Liz Robbins, one of Hillary Clinton’s top lobbyist bundlers. This weekend, Harris returned to the Hamptons for more meet-and-greets with top Clinton donors. This time she met with Harvey Weinstein, Citigroup banker Ray Mcguire and former U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice. The continued meetings and lavish galas signal that Democratic elites are rallying behind Harris as she positions herself to run for president in 2020.

http://observer.com/2017/07/clinton-staff-donors-kamala-harris-2020/

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Breakfast All Day posted:

maybe if stating someone's professional stances, policy positions, and voting record constitute an "attack", that person has problematic professional stances, policy positions, and voting record

I am starting to see a parallel between Republican Party use of "fake news" and Democratic Party use of "attack"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand alPaul posted:

Democratic Party is straight up rigged, please let it die.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/893853182920622081

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
She's literally meeting with billionaires and top hillary people in the hamptons. they are already grooming her to run in 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

don't get me wrong, this would be the compromise position. ideally, bound to state results would be better, and doing away with them entirely would be best. But the ultimate goal would be to force an actual change in democratic strategies.
this issue requires no compromise. the institution on its face would be understood as undemocratic by a 5 year old and deserves to be mocked as such. even the GOP got rid of undemocratic superdelegates.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scent of Worf posted:

She's literally meeting with billionaires and top hillary people in the hamptons. they are already grooming her to run in 2020

thankfully America is a country where the majority of people are billionai- oh, wait, drat

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

galenanorth posted:

I don't really see the point of democratic structures where someone or an oligarchy can possible choose to override democratic results, like how a Governor-General could theoretically overrule a Prime Minister despot. This assumes the benevolence of the oligarchy or the person making the decision, like a benevolent dictatorship, except we never get to see 100% for certain whether it works with a clear override. I mean, if the superdelegates are really so much wiser, surely it'd be better to just forego the primaries entirely

the worst part of the superdelegate system is that it sets such an early narrative about the frontunner that is hard to overcome, especially when delegate tallies are reported by the media without breaking out the supers.

from a 2015 npr story about the supers' effect in the 2016 race:

quote:

But these numbers mean Clinton has already gotten 15 percent of the delegates needed — two months before any voting has begun. In other words, Clinton starts with a 15 percentage point head start over Sanders.

What's more, superdelegates have a greater importance than raw numbers. That's because the way they lean, political scientists have found, is one of the best predictors of who will become the nominee.

"What's highly correlated with who becomes the nominee is the number of party elite endorsements a candidate has in the year before the election," UCLA political scientist Lynn Vavreck told NPR's Sam Sanders in a story last month. "The idea is not that anybody hears that someone has endorsed you and then that sways their vote. The idea is that party elites have a sense of who is viable and electable as a candidate. They have unique insider knowledge about this."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

no one has been anointed yet.

i mean, outside of a tiny, deranged twitter circlejerk.

How willfully blind do you have to be to think this?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

the worst part of the superdelegate system is that it sets such an early narrative about the frontunner that is hard to overcome, especially when delegate tallies are reported by the media without breaking out the supers.

lol that they pitch this as 11-dimensional-chess-electability-adult-insight as opposed to tilting the initial conditions

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the masters table is served first because they have unique insider knowledge into which meats are the tastiest

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/894255808195825665

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Taintrunner posted:

thankfully America is a country where the majority of people are billionai- oh, wait, drat

Just wait for the dollar to fall out

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

lol that they pitch this as 11-dimensional-chess-electability-adult-insight as opposed to tilting the initial conditions
i love that there is not a single sentence to inform the reader that the superdelegates are undemocratic

neoliberal public radio

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Just wait for the dollar to fall out

zimbabwerica is now accepting microfinancing

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
im more of a nuke caucuses and Iowa man

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

Didn't Barack Obama overcome the superdelegate advantage by Clinton in 2008 because he began bribing them? I recall reading there was an open bidding war for multiple superdelegates at one point, and many who switched showed up on the Hillary Enemies Spreadsheet.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
please don't read this as "I am a nuke caucuses man and also an Iowa man" I mean like nuke caucuses and then nuke Iowa tia

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

This and the fundraiser for Florida Republicans shows how dead the party is.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Scent of Worf posted:

Whats with billionares and grooming people

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Nanomashoes posted:

Whats with billionares and grooming people

They're all pederasts

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
tired: superdelegates
wired: members of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaterCapitalism/status/894095030083883009

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man Musk posted:

I just find it odd that the 45 other D senators don't go through nearly as much scrutiny as a junior senator only 6 months in

Only asking questions here!!

In most of their cases, we're not already being told that criticizing them is harmful to their 2020 general election chances, because most of them are not running for president

We also talk a lot of poo poo about Mark Zuckerberg, and nobody's going "huh, I wonder why they're not constantly dissing every other tech CEO in existence too :confused:", because everyone knows the reason for that is that none of them are going to run for president. Same deal with Harris.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
also might be talking about deval patrick because it's certainly a good idea to let obama dictate the field after giving the world tom perez and emmanuel macron

edit: alright he didn't really give anyone macron but it should be an object lesson as to why obama should stay the gently caress out of anything and everything

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Actually, capital punishment is bad coupled with the guys getting executed being executed more for getting on the party boss' bad side than them being corrupt shitheads.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

No Bernie mention?

Sickest burn of them all :drat:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horseshoe theory posted:

Actually, capital punishment is bad coupled with the guys getting executed being executed more for getting on the party boss' bad side than them being corrupt shitheads.

just take their poo poo and kick it down to the poors imo

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

Al Gore gives off a sort of Venom Snake "I've learned my lesson" vibe which is cool but I have no idea what any of his policy stances are besides climate change

Honestly an Al Gore presidency making climate change an actual priority would be nice but I dunno if he'd fix anything else

Also I'm on my phone rn and my phone's first predictive text suggestion after I type "Al" is "Giordano" so maybe I post itt too much

Al Gore could claim to have invented green energy and win based on that with plans on giving everyone green jobs at the solar mines. Imagine a presidency where instead of Steve Bannon it's Elon Musk as the top advisor.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

The best way to get leftists to squirm IRL is to ask them whether or not The Revolution will be violent. It will, lol if you think the capitalists are going down without a literal fight

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ThndrShk2k posted:

Al Gore could claim to have invented green energy and win based on that with plans on giving everyone green jobs at the solar mines. Imagine a presidency where instead of Steve Bannon it's Elon Musk as the top advisor.

i don't know about anyone else but working in a solar mine sounds pretty loving sweet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still kind of getting over the fact that someone came ITT to ask us why we were singling out Harris instead of any of "the 45 other D senators", conveniently ignoring the fact that she's going to run for president

like, how disingenuous can you get

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

go loving figure lol

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

I'm still kind of getting over the fact that someone came ITT to ask us why we were singling out Harris instead of any of "the 45 other D senators", conveniently ignoring the fact that she's going to run for president

like, how disingenuous can you get

hey at least he didn't claim that attacks from the left are secretly subversive right-wing tactics against a party that has had decades of experience undermining itself

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThndrShk2k posted:

Elon Musk was an adviser to Trump, he resigned after Trump abandoned the Paris Accords :lol:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the dems are gonna have cuomo, zuckerberg and harris fighting it out in the 2020 primaries lmao we are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

The best way to get leftists to squirm IRL is to ask them whether or not The Revolution will be violent. It will, lol if you think the capitalists are going down without a literal fight

As you allude in the spoiler, the correct answer is "it will be as violent as they make it."

• Locked thread