Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

inkwell posted:

Might as well pick up some packs of canned air for the future, too. Y'know, vacuums being big static electricity generators and all....

Right, hence the part about getting lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
IMO once you're spending around 1200 bucks on a computer it's worth it to shell out for a electronics vac or at least an electronics safe blower. Now, this might be because the last two places I've lived were insanely dusty and I was going through multiple cans of air a year but still. You can find used datavac blowers on ebay for like 40 or 50 bucks and they last basically forever. They're especially worth not having to deal with the cans getting cold or the air pressure getting weaker and stuff like that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I could really use some suggestions on an HDD replacement for my old WD 1TB Drive. I had my eye on This before they ran out of stock at Amazon and now only offers it from other sellers.

My budget is around $100 and beyond 2TB and a decent speed I want reliability. For whatever reason I've had good luck with WD, but bad luck with Seagate for example. And my mind just melts trying to figure out what to trust on the product pages of HDDs, like Seagate's BarraCuda drives.

Peaking through the last couple pages someone had put this in their build. And I wonder if anyone can back up the good reviews on that webpage.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Usage: Web, Office, SD Video (YouTube and the like)
Budget: $1000AU including a ~20" monitor.

This might be more the domain of the SFF thread but I was hoping for some advice about SFF PCs for basic office/web/youtube use. My mum has asked me to pick out a new PC for her with the primary criteria being that it has a separate keyboard/monitor and the computer is fairly small. She was asking for an All-In-One as she likes the form factor however everything within her budget seemed to fall into the pitfall of lovely CPU, gently caress-all ram, and a large slow HDD. Because of that I'm thinking a NUC would be a better (more cost-effective) choice. A compute stick looked like a decent solution until I read reports saying they choked when trying to do anything even slightly strenuous like watching videos.

She's currently got a 17" laptop that she uses as her main computer but gets neck strain from how close the screen/keyboard have to be given the form factor, plus she finds the keyboard frustrating to use since it's so easy to hit the touchpad. She's relatively happy with the screen size and wouldn't want to go much larger than 20", she finds 24" screens to be too large especially with the office setup she has (limited desk space so can't put the screen further away). Can't really just use an external keyboard and monitor with the laptop due to the space the laptop will still take up.

No PCPP link because it doesn't have NUCs that I could find but here's what I was thinking:
Intel BOXNUC713BNK - $389 from PCCG
G.SKILL 16GB (2x8GB) 260-pin DDR4 2133 SODIMM - $139 from Newegg AU
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe SSD - $163 from Newegg AU
BenQ GW2270HM - $159 from PCCG
Keyboard/Mouse already purchased
Total: $850 + ~$40 shipping

The K model NUC is significantly smaller, so even though it requires using a m.2 drive it seems worthwhile as it would make it easier to put the box out of the way. The laptop she's using currently has a 750GB HDD but only 60GB is actually used, most of that being used by windows. I figure a 250GB SSD would be fine given she's still not likely to ever fill that space. I'm not sure about the monitor since I've only ever used Dell but I assume VA is fine for reading text so the BenQ should be ok.

Is there anything I should change? Anything I should be looking for instead?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Moatman posted:

IMO once you're spending around 1200 bucks on a computer it's worth it to shell out for a electronics vac or at least an electronics safe blower. Now, this might be because the last two places I've lived were insanely dusty and I was going through multiple cans of air a year but still. You can find used datavac blowers on ebay for like 40 or 50 bucks and they last basically forever. They're especially worth not having to deal with the cans getting cold or the air pressure getting weaker and stuff like that.

Have you tried positive air pressure in your case and filtered intakes?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Ularg posted:

I could really use some suggestions on an HDD replacement for my old WD 1TB Drive. I had my eye on This before they ran out of stock at Amazon and now only offers it from other sellers.

My budget is around $100 and beyond 2TB and a decent speed I want reliability. For whatever reason I've had good luck with WD, but bad luck with Seagate for example. And my mind just melts trying to figure out what to trust on the product pages of HDDs, like Seagate's BarraCuda drives.

Peaking through the last couple pages someone had put this in their build. And I wonder if anyone can back up the good reviews on that webpage.

I've had that drive for a few years without any problems, but the whole Hybrid Drive gimmick doesn't really have a noticeable effect. If your looking for speed look at getting a SSD for your boot drive and a mechanical drive for storage.

Seagates line up is roughly equivalent to WD, Barracuda ~=WD Blue, Barracuda Pro ~=WD Black and the Firecuda is the newer version of the Hybrid drive you are looking at. I've had the same bad luck with Seagate drives and good luck with WD, but supposedly Seagate has improved reliability.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Ephphatha posted:

The K model NUC is significantly smaller, so even though it requires using a m.2 drive it seems worthwhile as it would make it easier to put the box out of the way. The laptop she's using currently has a 750GB HDD but only 60GB is actually used, most of that being used by windows. I figure a 250GB SSD would be fine given she's still not likely to ever fill that space. I'm not sure about the monitor since I've only ever used Dell but I assume VA is fine for reading text so the BenQ should be ok.

IMO you could save some money here by swapping the NVME SSD for a SATA SSD

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
A great comparison here from Digital Foundry of the Ryzen 1600/1600X vs i5-7600K.

It'll probably make anyone thinking about an i5 look elsewhere.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 6, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

A great comparison here from Digital Foundry of the Ryzen 1600/1600X vs i5-7600K.

It'll probably make anyone thinking about an i5 look elsewhere.
Yeah it might be worth updating the OP about this :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah but how are the Ryzen motherboards? I haven't built an AMD system for a long time, since before they bought ATI, because the chipsets were terrible. I got tired of niggling conflicts between 3rd parties and playing driver tag trying to keep them working. Everyone blaming everyone else and no one fixing the problems. Not to mention RMA's on those boards were high. Bad memories of that time make me want to stick with intel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wormil posted:

Yeah but how are the Ryzen motherboards? I haven't built an AMD system for a long time, since before they bought ATI, because the chipsets were terrible. I got tired of niggling conflicts between 3rd parties and playing driver tag trying to keep them working. Everyone blaming everyone else and no one fixing the problems. Not to mention RMA's on those boards were high. Bad memories of that time make me want to stick with intel.
Asus and Asrock are generally very good for AMD.

That sort of thing was also common among Intel boards during that era. People don't have very fond experiences with the vast majority of P67 boards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
ASUS and ASRock are generally good regardless. Gigabyte and MSI have too many horror stories about support and Gigabyte in particular about cutting corners on build quality for me to suggest them in anything other than a "build for bottom dollar" build, and even there ASRock generally has them beat on price, quality, and board support.

The only product I'd recommend of Gigabyte's are their laptops, and that's only because they don't build them, they just support them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ASUS and ASRock are generally good regardless. Gigabyte and MSI have too many horror stories about support and Gigabyte in particular about cutting corners on build quality for me to suggest them in anything other than a "build for bottom dollar" build, and even there ASRock generally has them beat on price, quality, and board support.

The only product I'd recommend of Gigabyte's are their laptops, and that's only because they don't build them, they just support them.

I've never heard anything bad about MSI's support, while I've heard tons of bad things about ASUS'.

Though I can also vouch for ASRock. EVGA is also making motherboards now too, and though I don't know how good the boards themselves are, EVGA's customer support is top-notch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've never heard anything bad about MSI's support, while I've heard tons of bad things about ASUS'.

Though I can also vouch for ASRock. EVGA is also making motherboards now too, and though I don't know how good the boards themselves are, EVGA's customer support is top-notch.

Yeah - ASUS' support isn't stellar, but they don't cut as many corners with regards to build quality (as opposed to Gigabyte). If the product is good, and you don't *need* support, I consider that a check in their 'pro' column. I'd have to do a lot more looking into EVGA's boards to make sure they're engineered/made by them and not just a Foxconn rebadge. Also, some people have claimed that ASUS doesn't honor it fully, but their "TUF" SKUs supposedly carry a five year warranty as opposed to everyone else's three.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I've had some issues with the msi x370 gaming pro carbon board bios not saving/using overclock settings (which I could fix with ryzen master) but other than that it's been solid and I have my ram running at 3200. Anecdotal for sure but thought I'd toss my 2 cents in.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

Usage: Web, Office, SD Video (YouTube and the like)
Budget: $1000AU including a ~20" monitor.

This might be more the domain of the SFF thread but I was hoping for some advice about SFF PCs for basic office/web/youtube use. My mum has asked me to pick out a new PC for her with the primary criteria being that it has a separate keyboard/monitor and the computer is fairly small. She was asking for an All-In-One as she likes the form factor however everything within her budget seemed to fall into the pitfall of lovely CPU, gently caress-all ram, and a large slow HDD. Because of that I'm thinking a NUC would be a better (more cost-effective) choice. A compute stick looked like a decent solution until I read reports saying they choked when trying to do anything even slightly strenuous like watching videos.

She's currently got a 17" laptop that she uses as her main computer but gets neck strain from how close the screen/keyboard have to be given the form factor, plus she finds the keyboard frustrating to use since it's so easy to hit the touchpad. She's relatively happy with the screen size and wouldn't want to go much larger than 20", she finds 24" screens to be too large especially with the office setup she has (limited desk space so can't put the screen further away). Can't really just use an external keyboard and monitor with the laptop due to the space the laptop will still take up.

No PCPP link because it doesn't have NUCs that I could find but here's what I was thinking:
Intel BOXNUC713BNK - $389 from PCCG
G.SKILL 16GB (2x8GB) 260-pin DDR4 2133 SODIMM - $139 from Newegg AU
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe SSD - $163 from Newegg AU
BenQ GW2270HM - $159 from PCCG
Keyboard/Mouse already purchased
Total: $850 + ~$40 shipping

Agreed on the fellow who suggested you can go with a SATA SSD. Although the synthetic benchmarks are a lot faster, it seems like it actually makes a negligible difference in OS boot times and application load times. Check out these benchmarks which include a lot of the currently competitive SSDs.
http://techreport.com/review/31901/corsair-force-series-mp500-240gb-nvme-ssd-reviewed/5

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
What a good 4k blu-ray drive for a PC? I know that they make them, but are any worth getting?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Pioneer's BDR-211UBK is the only 4K model I see listed at both Newegg and Amazon, I don't think the field's developed enough for you to have much of a choice yet.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, i'm looking to put a fan in my currently unused 3 5.25 inch bays to bring more airflow into my case. I was really interested in something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185020

Looks like it would take all 3 of my 5.25 bays.

However, it looks like it's discontinued. I can't find any other product that's like this that isn't just a single 5.25 bay cooler for a hard drive, but i don't think those fans blows in enough air however, anyone know if there's something else i can use?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 7, 2017

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Agreed on the fellow who suggested you can go with a SATA SSD. Although the synthetic benchmarks are a lot faster, it seems like it actually makes a negligible difference in OS boot times and application load times. Check out these benchmarks which include a lot of the currently competitive SSDs.
http://techreport.com/review/31901/corsair-force-series-mp500-240gb-nvme-ssd-reviewed/5

The performance of any ssd should be fine given her last few computers have used 5400rpm drives. Swapping to a SATA controller saves a few bucks so I'll definitely make that change when I place the order, thanks for the pickup.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Mister Fister posted:

Hey guys, i'm looking to put a fan in my currently unused 3 5.25 inch bays to bring more airflow into my case. I was really interested in something like this:

However, it looks like it's discontinued. I can't find any other product that's like this that isn't just a single 5.25 bay cooler for a hard drive, but i don't think those fans blows in enough air however, anyone know if there's something else i can use?

It looks like someone in Greece is making something similar for $21, but you need to provide your own fan and filter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

There's this - no reason you *have* to use it as an HDD cooler, but I'm not quite sure how much more airflow a single 80mm will provide: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...4c147s238#blank

There's also this, but without an intake to cooler ambient air I can't say how effective it'd be: https://www.moddiy.com/products/5.25in-Bay-Case-Fan-Cooler-Mounting-Kit.html

This as well, but you'd have to pick up a 120mm grill: http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-alu-triple-120-black-anodized-525-baycover-p-649.html

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 7, 2017

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Just use zipties while you wait for a proper product to show up. The Scythe looked good otherwise, but I would worry how much noise that front grill with tiny holes would cause.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zipties and BluTack, or those 3M sticky pads will work - you get decent sound damping for the fan and prevent the 'burr' of something vibrating that isn't secured properly.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Eletriarnation posted:

It looks like someone in Greece is making something similar for $21, but you need to provide your own fan and filter.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's this - no reason you *have* to use it as an HDD cooler, but I'm not quite sure how much more airflow a single 80mm will provide: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...4c147s238#blank

There's also this, but without an intake to cooler ambient air I can't say how effective it'd be: https://www.moddiy.com/products/5.25in-Bay-Case-Fan-Cooler-Mounting-Kit.html

This as well, but you'd have to pick up a 120mm grill: http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-alu-triple-120-black-anodized-525-baycover-p-649.html

Saukkis posted:

Just use zipties while you wait for a proper product to show up. The Scythe looked good otherwise, but I would worry how much noise that front grill with tiny holes would cause.

Khablam posted:

Zipties and BluTack, or those 3M sticky pads will work - you get decent sound damping for the fan and prevent the 'burr' of something vibrating that isn't secured properly.

Thanks guys, i'll check these out... being the cheapo that i am, zip ties sound good ... maybe as a permanent solution? :D

Edit: Only thing i'm maybe worried about is gaps between the fan and case, i guess i'll have to go home and try it out.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 7, 2017

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The two front fans on my old computer were strung from the drive mounting holes using zip ties and that setup lasted 5 years.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Any other input on the 1600 vs i5 debate from the DigitalFoundry link? Kind of thinking about an upgrade myself so it's relevant to my interests.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Any other input on the 1600 vs i5 debate from the DigitalFoundry link? Kind of thinking about an upgrade myself so it's relevant to my interests.

What are you upgrading from? It's probably worth waiting to see the details about what Intel releases this year at this point.

If you're coming from a 2500K or higher, you probably should look at the R7s for more of a noticeable upgrade.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

What are you upgrading from? It's probably worth waiting to see the details about what Intel releases this year at this point.

If you're coming from a 2500K or higher, you probably should look at the R7s for more of a noticeable upgrade.

I'm currently on a stock 4690k.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Hey i just did some research and i found out several libraries around me have 3d printers for public use. I actually think i might print something like this for my 5.25 bay fan issue:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1972432

I can add a few hard drives to it too which is neat!

Apparently lots of libraries have 3d printers these days.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm currently on a stock 4690k.

If you're only gaming, overclock it to 4.5 and check back in 3 years or so.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mister Fister posted:

Hey i just did some research and i found out several libraries around me have 3d printers for public use. I actually think i might print something like this for my 5.25 bay fan issue:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1972432

I can add a few hard drives to it too which is neat!

Apparently lots of libraries have 3d printers these days.

3d printing is great but takes a while. On my printer, if I did .3mm layer height, it would take about 18 hours to print all of those out. I don't have a fancy 3d printer but bear that in mind. I'm sure the library has some way to handle that, though, since printing is always kind of time consuming.

There's also https://www.3dhubs.com/ which will have local people with printers offering their services (for money). Shapeways is the highest end print to order company but they're usually much more expensive.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Used the "Value Gamer" mostly inspiration wise.I skipped the Memory for the time being because I am going to use the 2 year old sticks I have currently until Xmas or so. I am about to just say gently caress it and order it. Does Outlet PC have something special with their pricing or is that legit? I have heard of some place that has a pick up price vs online price...

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
Case: Rosewill - STAR PREDATOR ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Now how much better is the above, than say something like below

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-C-Core-100

or more budget like

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-Vapor-Core

I remember wanting one of these small boxes when they first started showing up ages ago...but how much trouble would they have overheating? I am really asking for my own knowledge/interest

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Rexxed posted:

3d printing is great but takes a while. On my printer, if I did .3mm layer height, it would take about 18 hours to print all of those out. I don't have a fancy 3d printer but bear that in mind. I'm sure the library has some way to handle that, though, since printing is always kind of time consuming.

There's also https://www.3dhubs.com/ which will have local people with printers offering their services (for money). Shapeways is the highest end print to order company but they're usually much more expensive.

Thanks for letting me know, didn't know it was a slow process

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Are there any components for a new build that I could buy now, while I wait to see what GFX and CPU upgrades do (both in terms of lowering prices of current generation items, as well as maybe offering new upgrades that are worthwhile)?

I was thinking of buying the tower, ram, PSU, HDD and any extra fans for the case.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The components for my new computer arrived today.
I kept going back and forth on wether or not to get a 7700K or a plain 7700 but in the end opted for a 7700 as that was the cheaper option on an already expensive set of hardware.

My current PC has a 2500K CPU; when i bought it i had every intention to overclock but never bothered doing it. How much work is it actually to overclock nowadays? I wouldn't be looking to make the worlds most optimized PC but to make it faster while still stable and not too noisy.
How much more heat and noise will a 7700k OCed to reasonable levels make? I have the Noctua NH-D15 for cooling.

I suppose i have gotten cold feet wrt to using a plain 7700. Should i return the H270 motherboard and 7700 CPU and go for a Z270 and 7700K? I spent ~$1500 on all the components. Is it folly to not get a K-processor when i have already invested so much in a powerful PC?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 7, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but overclocking a 2500K is dead simple and not doing it is leaving a quarter of its potential on the table. It's more like 15% difference (using K as baseline) between the stock 7700 and a typical air overclock on the K version.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Not to mention in three weeks' time Intel will (hopefully) be launching their consumer six-core processors. Jesus christ, Intel is really dropping the ball on PR - people are so uninformed that they're still buying 7700Ks for their current sale price.

Of course, that's probably the point - clearing out stock.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Having been out of it for awhile, I'm looking to build a new rig. Current one is from early 2013 and it was a budget gaming PC then.

Budget: ~$900
Purpose: Mid-range gaming
Already have: Monitor, Case, Wireless, Solid-State HD (maybe?)

I have an 2.5" Intel 330 240 GB SSHD in my current rig. Is it ancient now or still "good enough?" I haven't had any problems with it but it is 4 years old.

Processor: ~$150. I know nothing about the Ryzen-line of AMD processors. Should I even look at the 3 Series or the 5 series 1400? I seem to be limited to Intel i3 otherwise.

Video Card: ~$250. Looks like a 1050 Ti or 1060 3 GB. I could go a bit higher (~275) for a 6 GB 1060 but they all appear to be out of stock.

Mobo: ~$80. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles here. ASRock has been my go-to in the past.

Memory: ~$140. 16 GB (2x8). Seems like RAM has gone up in price since I last checked. Used Crucial for last 2 builds. Had no problems.

Power Supply: ~$90. Antec EarthWatts 650W. Antec has been solid for me in the 4-5 builds I've done. I'm using a 380W right now and have had no problems.

Windows 10: $100.

Total w/tax is about $900.

Feel free to critique how I'm budgeting. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FooF posted:

Having been out of it for awhile, I'm looking to build a new rig. Current one is from early 2013 and it was a budget gaming PC then.

Budget: ~$900
Purpose: Mid-range gaming
Already have: Monitor, Case, Wireless, Solid-State HD (maybe?)

I have an 2.5" Intel 330 240 GB SSHD in my current rig. Is it ancient now or still "good enough?" I haven't had any problems with it but it is 4 years old.

Processor: ~$150. I know nothing about the Ryzen-line of AMD processors. Should I even look at the 3 Series or the 5 series 1400? I seem to be limited to Intel i3 otherwise.

Video Card: ~$250. Looks like a 1050 Ti or 1060 3 GB. I could go a bit higher (~275) for a 6 GB 1060 but they all appear to be out of stock.

Mobo: ~$80. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles here. ASRock has been my go-to in the past.

Memory: ~$140. 16 GB (2x8). Seems like RAM has gone up in price since I last checked. Used Crucial for last 2 builds. Had no problems.

Power Supply: ~$90. Antec EarthWatts 650W. Antec has been solid for me in the 4-5 builds I've done. I'm using a 380W right now and have had no problems.

Windows 10: $100.

Total w/tax is about $900.

Feel free to critique how I'm budgeting. Thanks.

If you live near a Micro Center, look into their prebuilts. Also, there's no reason to drop $100 on Windows 10 - others in here will be glad to tell you how to get it for $10-30, or potentially for free by activating your Win 7 key as your Win 10 key. If you can wait a few weeks, the new i3 processors from Intel will be four-core/eight-thread (or at least one SKU will be). There'll also be a 6C/6T i5.

As for your SSD - it's not SATA III, so you won't get 550/550, but an SSD is an SSD, even if you're not getting an extra 200MB/sec.