Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I've just has a random though... Where's Iizuka? I don't think he's been seen since like the J Cup tour in April/May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thrifting Day! posted:

I've just has a random though... Where's Iizuka? I don't think he's been seen since like the J Cup tour in April/May

Broken ankle in May

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He's back on one of the last G1 shows teaming with ZSJ.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

iizuka x zsj wattba

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
I subscribed to NJPW World recently so I have been scouring through their back catalogue and I found a match between Makabe and Tanahashi from 1999 and holy poo poo they are BABIES.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00270_1_1

They look like default options in a create-a-wrestler mode.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if okada keeps his belt all the way until wrestle kingdom, he will surpass Shinya Hashimoto's 3rd reign for the longest run with the belt. at the same time, this is probably the single best title run any champion of any promotion has had i think.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Giant Murderbaby posted:

I subscribed to NJPW World recently so I have been scouring through their back catalogue and I found a match between Makabe and Tanahashi from 1999 and holy poo poo they are BABIES.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00270_1_1

They look like default options in a create-a-wrestler mode.

Getting non-generic gear is a key part of the separating being a Young Lion from being a real wrestler, and Young Lion Tanahashi would have been less than a month into his career at this time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

gif Probst posted:

if okada keeps his belt all the way until wrestle kingdom, he will surpass Shinya Hashimoto's 3rd reign for the longest run with the belt. at the same time, this is probably the single best title run any champion of any promotion has had i think.

He just has to hold it for 79 more days and he beats Hashimoto for longest single reign. Holding onto it for that long will also put his combined title reign length right above Mutoh’s and puts him roughly about the same amount of days away from Tanahashi’s #1 combined reign spot of 1,358. Okada is at 1,207 right now. By the time of Destruction (third week of September), he’ll beat Mutoh by a couple weeks, he’s literally 31 days behind him.

If he holds the title to Wrestle Kingdom, he beats Tanahashi’s record. By two days.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
It's been said a million times before, but who the gently caress would have thought Okada would be so successful as a champ when he came back from TNA>

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Giant Murderbaby posted:

It's been said a million times before, but who the gently caress would have thought Okada would be so successful as a champ when he came back from TNA>

Gedo and maybe Okada.

After his first defense against Naito maaaaybe like 10 of us?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna do that thing I've done like, every year as we deep dive the observer and track this turn around

Observer Dome show review posted:

Not everything worked. Kazuchika Okada was sent to TNA to gain international experience, and then largely forgotten past a brief angle as Samoa Joe’s sidekick. In that one, he dressed up like Kato from the Green Hornet cartoons, was given the name Okato, and was involved in a terrible angle with The Pope. He returned, with bleached blond hair, doing a playboy gimmick as Rainmaker Kazuchika Okada, with the idea in a battle of returnees, he’d quickly squash Yoshi-Hashi (Nobuo Yoshihashi, who has been in CMLL actually wrestling a full schedule and getting better). He did beat Yoshi-Hashi quickly, but did not look impressive in doing so. At the end of the show, after Tanahashi beat Suzuki, he came out and issued a challenge for a title match. Because of how unimpressive he had looked in his return, the people booed the angle and weren’t accepting of it at all. Okada’s dye job looked amateur, and he was completely unconvincing as this new cocky playboy. When he mocked Tanahashi’s winning pose, it got little heat. He was booed on the way out, but it didn’t feel like the right kind of heat.

Remember, they had finally loving turned this around on Tanahashi's back, so Tanahashi losing the title, at least to me, seemed so stupid. I was really enjoying NJPW having meaing again so I was worried that this was a brief blip and not the start of the current long term boom.

New Beginnings Review posted:

Kazuchika Okada went from being a masked character off a comic book and 1960s U.S. television show to major world champion in a short period of time.

On the aptly named New Japan New Beginnings PPV on 2/12 at Osaka Furitsu Gym, Okada ended the 13-month IWGP heavyweight title reign of 2011 Wrestler of the Year Hiroshi Tanahashi. The show was New Japan's first under new management, but the title change was something planned a while back.

The general reaction in Japan was negative to the change. Okada looked pretty green, even though the match itself turned out to have the feel of an excellent world championship match, due to Tanahashi.

When combining dynamic ring work with main event charisma, Tanahashi is probably the closest thing to a complete package in today's pro wrestling. Business had improved with him on top, and the Osaka show drew a turn away crowd of 6,200, even though he was facing a challenger with no name value. There is very little that works well in modern wrestling, and when you've got a guy on top who is carrying the ball, it's not the time to replace him, even if he's been champion for a long time. Tanahashi, who captured the tile from Satoshi Kojima on January 4, 2011, had already set the IWGP title record for most defenses in one reign with his win over Minoru Suzuki on the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show being his 11th.

Okada, 24, had played Samoa Joe's side kick, Okato, in TNA. He wore a Kato mask from the old Green Hornet television show in the role played by martial arts legend Bruce Lee. TNA did nothing with him. Because Okada is tall and a good athlete, his U.S. trip was to get him out of the country for a few years so he could be brought back with a new look and persona. Given the nickname,"Rainmaker," Okada returned with bleached blond hair, doing a playboy gimmick. But Gino Hernandez and Ric Flair he isn't. The company has already noted he's weak on promos, and has Gedo do as much of his talking as possible.

Okada scored the pin in 23:22 with The Rainmaker, a short clothesline. The reaction was that people were really stunned, as even though they were into the match big by the end, it was hard watching the match to take Okada seriously as a main eventer or title threat. Still, the key was Tanahashi missing a flip dive off the apron and crashing on the mats, and then Okada gave him a tombstone piledriver on the floor. Tanahashi came back.

Okada's first title defense will be on 3/4 at Korakuen Hall at New Japan's 40th anniversary show, against Tetsuya Naito, another excellent worker. Naito had beaten Shinsuke Nakamura in what was a No. 1 contenders match in the semifinal.

Anniversary Show posted:

The company’s 40th anniversary show took place on 3/4 at Korakuen Hall as they jammed an announced 2,040 fans into the building and turned away thousands. It was a big mistake running this show in such a small building and afterwards they admitted it and said next year it would be at a bigger building. Hideki Tanaka, the famous ring announcer in the 80s and 90s, was brought back to do the Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito main event, where Okada retained the title in 28:50 with the Rainmaker (short lariat). The reports we got were that this match was better than last month’s Jun Akiyama vs. Takao Omori Triple Crown match in the same building, and that was a ****½ match and the best thing I’ve seen this year. Both from Japan and those who have already seen the match, it’s been almost a unanimous reaction it was the best match in pro wrestling so far this year. Naito is one of the best main event in-ring workers in the world right now (probably just under Tanahashi, one could argue a guy liked Daniel Bryan but he hasn’t been put in a position to go out and have this kind of a match). Okada is a great athlete and has the ability to be a great worker but is inexperienced at this level and suffers from nerves. He was said to be a lot more comfortable than even in his great match last month with Tanahashi. Part of the difference is probably holding the match at Korakuen Hall, instead of the Tokyo Dome which is so much more daunting, or main eventing Sumo Hall. Plus, the reality is, holding the title is often a tremendous confidence booster. The intimate setting gets the crowd into the matches more, and the setting is less intimidating for a young wrestler in his first run with the spotlight.

Dave hears good things, so you know as soon as someone faxs him that, he's goingto get his VHS tape and watch it as soon as he can.

Following Observer posted:

A few notes about the Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito title match on 3/4. I’d give the match ****3/4 and it was the best match I’ve seen in a long time, probably dating back to the John Cena vs. C.M. Punk match (some people will get mad about that but Cena vs. Punk was an incredible match, with the crowd being a big part of it, but the crowd was a big part of this match as well). New Japan right now probably has the three best in-ring main event style wrestlers in Naito, Yuji Nagata (who is still incredible at 44 when it comes to things like timing and facial expressions and athletically can still go) and Hiroshi Tanahashi. Okada was so much more poised and impressive here than in the title win over Tanahashi. The most important thing is that when Okada won the title, there was a lot of hardcore negativity, because he was 24, clearly wasn’t in the league of Tanahashi. But the mentality was to make a new superstar. The one thing New Japan’s title at this point has that the WWE belts don’t, is that Okada did come in with a combination of heat for a heel being champion and cheers for people who wanted to get behind the new young cool guy on the rise. It was a great dynamic. When WWE put guys like Sheamus or Jack Swagger in that position, or even C.M. Punk or Daniel Bryan at first, it didn’t take anywhere close. Part of it was Tanahashi having a long reign, making the title meaningful. Part of it was beating a guy clean in a long match, as opposed to cashing in a Money in the Bank, which while part of the WWE rule set and is not going to change, is a joke when it comes to taking it seriously. Of course it’s also a very big difference playing before 2,000 fans in a city the size of Tokyo (it’s like the crowd that would sell out the Hammerstein Ballroom in a city the size of New York) and running Sumo Hall or Madison Square Garden. This sold out and turned people away, but you can argue that the IWGP heavyweight title should never be defended at Korakuen Hall to begin with. The big test will be when Okada has to defend on 5/3 in Fukuoka against someone who presumably won’t be Tanahashi or Naito. To me, watching it, this felt like it would be the beginning of the next historical version of Thesz vs. O’Connor, Dory Funk Jr. vs. Jack Brisco, Flair vs. Steamboat, Misawa vs. Kobashi type of legendary in-ring rivalry, because this match is likely to win match of the year and it’s likely to cement their future matches as special. Okada is only going to get better with time, and that if New Japan, and these two stay healthy, they are going to be two of the top three guys in the promotion for years to come (Tanahashi is now 35, while Naito is 29, and Okada is only 24). Amazing that both of these guys were based in TNA for a long time. Naito was great there, as a tag team with Yujiro Takahashi, and they did nothing with them there even though they had some great matches with the Machine Guns and won drew a big quarter out of nowhere and of course since that didn’t fit the mentality of what should work, they never did much with it. Then they went to Mexico and headlined.

Goto wins the NJPW Cup and faces Okada.

quote:

The show drew a legitimate turn away crowd of 6,500 fans at the Fukuoka International Center for the annual Golden Week show in the city. The main event saw Kazuchika Okada retain the IWGP heavyweight title beating Intercontinental champion Hirooki Goto, the winner of the 2012 New Japan Cup tournament.

Now I want y'all to remember that the only way we found out about the result of this match was someone posted a photo of Tanahashi holding the belt after winning, and if you have archives you can probably find it.

Here's Dave's take.

quote:

There was a lot of controversy when Tanahashi lost to Okada, who is still only 24. Okada had never been pushed before, and was coming off a TNA run where he was best known for wearing a Green Hornet mask and being called Okato with Samoa Joe. Tanahashi had been the best representative of a world champion in pro wrestling in many years during his one-year plus reign. It was a gamble in a company looking to make an immediate new star. Okada was tall and very athletic. He’d been very good for a long time as far as being a young wrestler, but his time in TNA couldn’t have helped him, and unlike the old days where a Japanese star would leave and have success abroad, whether it be in Mexico, the U.S., Canada or Europe, and fans would wait to see his return, the landscape has changed and sending a guy to the U.S., with the relationship with TNA, has meant talented guys disappear. Even Tetsuya Naito, who main evented with Yujiro in Mexico, and who tore it up when he was given TV time, couldn’t buy a push and now he’s among the best workers in the entire business.

But Okada didn’t even have the long CMLL main event run Naito had before disappearing into the TNA abyss. He had to go from just a guy, to the champion of Japan’s biggest promotion and being given a gimmick of a playboy that clearly wasn’t him. But Okada silenced critics in his first title defense, a win over Naito, that would have to rank right near the top of the best matches anywhere in the world this year. The win established that while he may not have earned the spot by being a star before being given it, he wasn’t out of placet. His short title run has to be considered, in hindsight, a success far beyond what anyone could have reasonably hoped for.

Tanahashi should have beaten Okada when the rematch came up, just because he’s the man right now and shouldn’t be losing twice to a guy not yet at his level of stardom to the people, at least just yet. His last title reign was only gaining traction when the move was made to try and create a star out of nowhere. Okada was probably equivalent to a Jack Swagger getting the world title in WWE when he got the title, but was booked so far superior, and to his credit, also performed at a much higher level. Okada is now a main eventer and considered probably the company’s No. 2 guy, a position he can build on for years, and if New Japan is able to somehow get a more mainstream television time slot (and at this point the way Japanese culture is moving, the odds are against it), Okada vs. Naito and Okada vs. Tanahashi has the ability to be legendary programs.

Now I question going back to Tanahashi being so soon, although Tanahashi was the guy who should have won it back. The story could have been better of avoiding the match until Tanahashi wins G-1, and then doing the title match in September or October, establishing Okada as a long-term champion to begin his legacy as the future superstar of the company, particularly since there were a slew of potential opponents Okada could have still gone through, including a rematch with Naito, plus a young guy vs. older star series with guys like Togi Makabe, perennial contender Yuji Nagata and the unique style of Minoru Suzuki.

Tanahashi does have opponents starting out, as Togi Makabe pinned Minoru Suzuki on the PPV, while Masato Tanaka scored the winning fall in a Tanaka & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Naito & Hirooki Goto match that was to determine the next contender. Both challenged Tanahashi for the title, with Makabe getting the first show on the 7/1 joint show with All Japan at Sumo Hall. The reason they did two challenges is because Tanaka is not on the 7/1 show to score an impressive win.

Tanahashi will be attempting to break the career record for most successful IWGP title defenses on the 7/1 show. He’s now at 20, tied with Hashimoto.

Naito, the company’s second best wrestler, can always be a contender with a few wins, since Tanahashi vs. Naito is one of those matches that people know is on a big show is almost a guaranteed classic. Nakamura is Tanahashi’s career rival, and there is the Okada rematch, plus G-1 in August is often good for creating at least two championship contenders.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
He comes back from a horrible stint with a dumb/unsuitable gimmick and is put into a main event position he wasn't ready for. Now he's the definition of a champion.

I'm watching old G1 finals in between the current tournament matches. I'm in the middle of Chono vs Mutoh. Chono hit Mutoh with a not especially devestating looking kick while he was kneeling and the crowd goes nuts, yet later on Chono gives him a piledriver and there's little to no reaction. Are piledrivers not seen as especially devastating in puro?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Giant Murderbaby posted:

He comes back from a horrible stint with a dumb/unsuitable gimmick and is put into a main event position he wasn't ready for. Now he's the definition of a champion.

I'm watching old G1 finals in between the current tournament matches. I'm in the middle of Chono vs Mutoh. Chono hit Mutoh with a not especially devestating looking kick while he was kneeling and the crowd goes nuts, yet later on Chono gives him a piledriver and there's little to no reaction. Are piledrivers not seen as especially devastating in puro?

https://streamable.com/is96

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

Typical indie kids

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

tbf i wouldnt sell that young lion's crappy tombstone anyway its like hes laying you down and tucking you in for a nice nap

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what the hell does it take to get disqualified in NJPW, or specifically the G1? Because so far all I'm certain about is low blows

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

shinjiro otani is no young lion

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Tweak posted:

what the hell does it take to get disqualified in NJPW, or specifically the G1? Because so far all I'm certain about is low blows

Rules in NJPW are just sort of fast and loose.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

super macho dude posted:

Rules in NJPW are just sort of fast and loose.

the refs are expected to bring the match to a finish, so they tend to give leeway. Same reason they don't start counting as soon as it goes to the outside.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The key evidence to me that piledrivers are just mostly not respected in japan was the fact that in the AKI games, a lot of them were in the weak grapple section and even the ones that were strong grapple only did C damage. Only Taker's specifically animated Tombstone did A or S.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

The key evidence to me that piledrivers are just mostly not respected in japan was the fact that in the AKI games, a lot of them were in the weak grapple section and even the ones that were strong grapple only did C damage. Only Taker's specifically animated Tombstone did A or S.

Isn't it something like, in Mexico the Tombstone is like a "take the guy out on a stretcher" move?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

algebra testes posted:

Isn't it something like, in Mexico the Tombstone is like a "take the guy out on a stretcher" move?
http://www.luchawiki.com/index.php?title=Martinete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwck9O3qhig

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

algebra testes posted:

There are other tombstones in the AKI games, even a cradle one, and they both do C damage.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

algebra testes posted:

La Martinette is a DQ and is sold like a broken neck

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I just took the plunge and bought plane tickets to Tokyo for WrestleKingdom. Any advice for things I should do/check out wrestling related while I'm there? I've been to Tokyo a few times so I don't really have anything touristy or cultural that I need to do beyond seeing if I can visit the Imperial Palace when it opens on January 2nd. I haven't been to a wrestling show since I was a little kid so general advice would help too. I've got tickets to see Stardom in October and I'll go to the NJPW show if they come here this year but I haven't seen anything announced yet (though the only singles match last year was BONE SOLDIER vs. YOSHITATSU so maybe not...) so it won't be my first wrestling show as an adult but still.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't really have anything touristy or cultural that I need to do beyond seeing if I can visit the Imperial Palace when it opens on January 2nd.

Just on this note, do what I did and don't bring along any kind of bag or container. You'll get through the checkpoints on the lines much faster, everybody else gets stopped for a mandatory bag search. Even so, bring headphones and some music/podcasts to listen to, because you'll still be in line for a good length of time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I've been working on this for a while and hopefully we can add more to it too, hopefully by October or so when it's Wrestle Kingdom Planning Time.

Goons outside of Japan: Let me know what else you really need to know, either in general or specifically about coming to see wrestling.

Goons who have come here/live here: Let me know if you have any other advice you'd like to add!

--------------

A Wrestling Fan’s Guide to Tokyo and Japan

With the increase in popularity of King of Sports, New Japan Pro Wrestling, and a forty-plus year legacy of fantastic wrestlers and promotions, it’s no wonder that many wrestling fans want to visit Japan. As a Japanese speaker/reader, a resident for six-plus years, and a wrestling nerd myself, I want to help combine the various posts I’ve seen into one concise guide -- light on “travel to/inside” Japan and Tokyo, but with a focus on wrestling fans traveling to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Getting There, Getting Around, and Where to Stay

In most cases you will be taking a flight from overseas to Japan. Please ensure your visas yourself, but if you’re from the U.S.A., all you require is your passport. From overseas, you are likely to arrive at one of the following airports: Narita (outskirts of Tokyo), Kansai International (outside Osaka), Haneda (closer to Tokyo). There are other airports, but are away from the major Tokyo and Osaka regions. In any case, decide the best method for you to travel from airport to your hotel/motel/hostel/Airbnb/etc. A quick comment on staying and getting around: Tokyo and Osaka have tons of hotels from cheap to expensive, but a name to check is Toyoko Inn.

Lastly, there’s a simple question to ask yourself with regards to the JR Japan Rail Pass: Will you go from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto, or vice versa, in your trip? If the answer is yes, look into the Rail Pass. If no (ie staying only in one metropolitan area), then you can skip on it and use a PASMO/SUICA card only instead.

Oh Wow, I’m in Japan! ...uh, how do I Japan?

Congratulations, welcome to the metropolis. I’m sure you’ll want to get around and see the sights. Here are some simple tips to Tokyo/Japan in general.

The aforementioned SUICA/PASMO cards are your best friend. Purchased via train ticket machines for a 500 yen (~$5) deposit, they’re rechargeable NFC cards that work at all train/subway stations, most buses, many taxis, and a growing number of businesses (especially convenience stores like 7-11). There aren’t group/family SUICA/PASMO, so each person in a traveling group older than a toddler needs one. If you have the JR Pass, you don’t need one for JR trains, but -- as an example -- if you want to go to, say, Roppongi, you have to get there via a Tokyo Metro subway line, which is not covered by the JR Pass. So having one for train changes will be useful. If you don’t have a Rail Pass, just get a card ready and load it with yen. Top it up at stations when you need to.

As a tourist, trains are your friend. Most train/subway lines are well marked and signed in English, and Google Maps/Apple Maps/paper maps will help you figure out which way to go in most cases. Buses are much tougher, and only recommended in certain circumstances (if you have to go somewhere into the suburbs/countryside).

However, most train lines are closed between 12:30 am and 4:45 am on weeknights and weekends. Last Train is A Thing, like the much, much drunker version of any of those “shoving people into trains” videos you’ve seen online. If you’re a long way from where you’re staying (like drinking in Shibuya while your hotel is in Yokohama), keep that in mind. If you’re a shorter distance and in a group (like drinking in Roppongi while staying in Shinjuku), pile into a taxi, or find a karaoke room for the night. Again, just like the locals! General pro-tip for all travel: Hotels have business cards which often include address and directions, which should make your taxi rides much simpler. I'm using Tokyo examples but the same goes for all the big cities.

Last two tips: If you want to use your phone/tablet while in Japan, my recommendation is getting a Japanese pocket wifi rental. I’ve had good success with Wi-Fi Rental Store. As well, if you’re traveling over and running short on cash, 7-11 is your friend. Most convenience stores have ATMs (look for the letters ATM on signs outside) but 7-11 is the friendliest to overseas cards/bank accounts. You might have to pull 10,000 yen out at a time (~$100), but it’s a lifesaver if it’s late and you’re short on cash. The other good choice is Japan Post (JP, orange signs) but they close earlier.

In general, Tokyo is a major world city and Japan a majorly industrialized nation where most everything is available, people have experienced tourists, and if worst comes to worst, they're still people. Forget a toothbrush? You'll find one. Luggage lost and need to get clothes? It's possible, even for those lovingly goon-sized gents out there. Lost in the countryside trying to find the My Neighbor Totoro house? Some kind old guy or lady will smile and nod and help get you back to civilization. As well, I've joked that whatever you want in the world, Tokyo has two of. There's a lot to see even just in Tokyo, but the countryside is great, Osaka is fun, and there are even better, further places to go too. An underrated wrestling trip would be coming in early May and going to Wrestling Dontaku in Fukuoka, because that's a great time of year to see that awesome little city. Or do the same with Dominion in June in Osaka.

Official Tokyo travel guide | WikiTravel Tokyo | WikiTravel Japan

Rasslin in Japan!

Now it’s the real stuff. You’re here to see sweaty men full of fighting spirit knock the hell out of each other. These are some of the locations you need to know if you’re coming to see matches, or just want to see where they happen.

Tickets and match guide!

One of the toughest questions to answer is, “So how do I get tickets?”

The easiest answer? “Have somebody else arrange that for you.” Online ordering can be tricky, and sometimes even requires payment at a Japanese convenience store. Useful for me, not so much if you’re a third of the world away. But I’ll use NJPW as an example and look at how tickets can be acquired online.

There are two main ways to buy tickets in Japan: Online and at ticket locations, primarily convenience stores. Note that if you go to njpw.co.jp (New Japan's Japanese website) and click on the individual event schedule, they will include ticket purchasing information for all the relevant methods. You can either get links to online shops (which will require some translation to complete the order on) or get the "ticket code" for convenience store purchasing.

Convenience stores are useful if you're in Japan and want to get tickets for an event in a more spur-of-the-moment way. (Note that I've bought walk-up tickets to Wrestle Kingdom before!). Along with ATMs, most convenience stores will have a purchasing machine usually right next to the cash machine. Lawson, 7-11 and FamilyMart - the big three chains - all have their own take on the idea. At the purchasing machines you can find the tickets, select the seats and area, and take a small receipt to pay for your tickets (usually within 30 minutes of reservation on the machine). The staff at the 7-11 will scan the small receipt, confirm what tickets you're buying, and you pay. After paying, they print out the tickets for you on the spot. Yes, I've gone to baseball, soccer and wrestling with 7-11 branded tickets in the past! If you want to see more details, follow this link about concert tickets (the same ideas apply!).

Now, you've got tickets - how about the show?

• Know where you're going - whether it's Korakuen or Sumo Hall, or somewhere further afield. From there, find out how to get there by train/subway - Google Maps will help.
  • Most listings will say "Open time" and "Gong time," aka when the show will open. You'll want to be before the Gong Time at least to experience the whole thing!
  • Sumo Hall and Tokyo Dome will have plenty of food and drink available, Korakuen not quite as much. But! Sports in Japan are usually okay with people bringing their own in. Just don't be a dumbass about it. Beers at Korakuen? Probably fine. A whole box set from KFC? Probably not.
  • There might be meet-and-greet options beforehand. If you buy expensive tickets that include this, factor that into the timing.
  • Merchandise! This will be plentiful but expensive. Bring cash.
  • If you've been watching New Japan and other Japanese wrestling, you know that most of it is not as promo-heavy as American wrestling (DDT and Dragon Gate being exceptions to the rule). This is just as true live as it is recorded or on NJPW World.
  • If you've been watching New Japan you'll also know the beats and cheers. Japanese crowds are particular and different from Western ones, less trying to get themselves over and more supporting the wrestlers involved. There's only a few call-and-response things (Satoshi Kojima's "Icchauzo, bakayarou!", Minoru Suzuki's "Kaze ni nare") so just enjoy. Go along with the crowd. Hell, give your best "naito~" or "Kennnnyyyy~" if you like.
  • Most weekday shows are done by 9:30 pm or so because most people in Tokyo use public transit. Big weekend or holiday shows, like Dominion or Wrestle Kingdom, will have different timing.

Match Location Guide

Within Tokyo, there are three places that hold extra meaning to wrestling fans: Korakuen Hall, Tokyo Dome, and Sumo Hall (aka Ryogoku Kokugikan). Luckily, two of them are incredibly close together: Tokyo Dome and Korakuen Hall. The Dome, built in the 1980s, has hosted major shows since then - currently, NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom in January. Adjacent to Tokyo Dome and easy to miss, Korakuen Hall will be very familiar to anyone who’s watched puro - it’s been called the Madison Square Garden of Japan, not for size or scale but simply for importance. In reality it’s a quaint little place, accessible by elevator and opening into a small hallway. Almost every promotion in Japan runs at Korakuen because it's very cheap to do so, so even if it’s not NJPW, I recommend finding a show there on your trip. Some weekends even have early and late shows (e.g., a small indie from 11 am - 3 pm, and New Japan from 6 pm).

Nearby to Tokyo Dome and Korakuen in the district of Suidobashi are a number of pro wrestling-related shops and sites. New Japan has their main shop there, though it’s not terribly big. There’s also the restaurant run by Yano Toru and seen in many of the videos he’s produced for NJPW. You can also find a number of small hobby shops specializing in wrestling goods, cards, action figures, and more, but one name ranks above them all: Toudokan. With everything from masks and actual ring-worn gear old and new, classic T-shirts and action figures, and all forms of wrestling media, it’s a treasure trove for puro lovers. It’s a must-see for your Japanese puro pilgrimage, if only to look around and ring the bell. Another recommended shop is Piledriver, the brand/shop run by Minoru Suzuki, which is in the Harajuku district.

Further east in Tokyo is the other major event location in Tokyo: Ryogoku Kokugikan, better known as Sumo Hall. Besides being the host location for Tokyo’s tri-annual sumo wrestling tournaments, Sumo Hall is also home to many big events in the pro wrestling year, including major shows for NJPW, AJPW, NOAH, DDT, WWE, and more. It’s located right next to Ryogoku Station not far from Tokyo Station and the downtown area, and also features a Sumo Museum if you’re interested.

A few other locations to mention in quick order:

• Shin-Kiba First Ring, a common spot for indies and (especially) joshi out in east Tokyo
  • Want to feel like you’ve gone to the Japanese equivalent of a bingo hall show? Go to Shinjuku FACE in Kabukicho, a converted night club
  • Ariake Coliseum has held events in the past but I haven’t seen it mentioned for a while
  • The Saitama Super Arena and Yokohama Arena are both out in the suburbs and perhaps are known more for MMA than wrestling, but may also hold events or be of interest
  • For you FMW fans, the old Kawasaki Stadium is no longer the full-sized professional stadium of old, but would still be worth a trip down memory lane

Jerusalem’s WK Ticket Guide

With your permission I'd like to add your write-up about Wrestle Kingdom tickets from last year! Let me know and I'll chase the details down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

harperdc posted:

A Wrestling Fan’s Guide to Tokyo and Japan

This is great, thanks for doing it - I'll put a link into the OP and we'll make it standard for every new main NJPW thread going forward.

harperdc posted:

Jerusalem’s WK Ticket Guide

With your permission I'd like to add your write-up about Wrestle Kingdom tickets from last year! Let me know and I'll chase the details down.

Please do, and I hope anybody else who has purchased WK tickets from overseas shares their experiences of how they purchased it so we can make it easier to point people in the right direction when it comes time to start thinking about overseas trips. I think this should link to the most in-depth thing I wrote up about it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks, Jerusalem and harperdc, that's really informative and a lot more in-depth than I expected. I second the recommendation of going to Fukuoka, I did a trip around Kyushu last year and it was probably my favourite Japanese vacation. Fukuoka also has my favourite restaurant in the world (it's called Fishman and they serve "a staircase of sashimi"). I think there's a massive festival there for Golden Week coinciding with Wrestling Dontaku too?

As for further questions, do you know anything more about Toru Yano's restaurant?
There was a trip report about it from some guy on the NJPW Reddit and it sounds pretty cool, but he went there for a show, and I'm intending to be at the only NJPW shows going on while I'm there, so I'm wondering if it's worth checking out on a normal day. Also, have you ever been to Bad Luck Fale's coffee shop? He promotes it a bunch on Twitter and I'm wondering if it's worth seeing beyond the novelty of getting coffee at Bad Luck Fale's coffee shop. I mean I'll probably go to it anyway because it looks like it's near Meiji Jingu and Yoyogi Park and I like that area but I don't want to end up skipping it if it turns out he's got a bunch of cool memorabilia on display or something.

Lastly, how difficult is it to get New Year's Dash tickets? I'm not worried about getting WK tickets but with Korakuen Hall being so small and there being so many wrestling fans in Tokyo at that time, I'm imagining it might be a bit of a tall order.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I just took the plunge and bought plane tickets to Tokyo for WrestleKingdom. Any advice for things I should do/check out wrestling related while I'm there? I've been to Tokyo a few times so I don't really have anything touristy or cultural that I need to do beyond seeing if I can visit the Imperial Palace when it opens on January 2nd. I haven't been to a wrestling show since I was a little kid so general advice would help too. I've got tickets to see Stardom in October and I'll go to the NJPW show if they come here this year but I haven't seen anything announced yet (though the only singles match last year was BONE SOLDIER vs. YOSHITATSU so maybe not...) so it won't be my first wrestling show as an adult but still.

The most important thing is to buy me a shitload of LIJ merch

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

The most important thing is to buy me a shitload of LIJ merch

gonna say yes then send you five copies of this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'm also planning to go to WK this January, as part of a 2-3 week vacation. It's for our 10 year anniversary so idk how much wrestling I can drag the other half to, but I'd like to take in at least one smaller show. Thanks for the write-ups dudes :)

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

gonna say yes then send you five copies of this

my reaction

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Yeah I'd take one of those shirts for each day of the week

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tweak posted:

Outside the ring is in international waters, anything goes. That is why you can be counted out, you can only last in a libertarian paradise for so long.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Outside the ring is in international waters, anything goes. That is why you can be counted out, you can only last in a libertarian paradise for so long.

Seasteading is truly the 20-count that libertarians deserve

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Shibata is aiming for a full time return.

Welp.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's nothing wrong with wanting a glorious death

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Someone please stop Shibata, because Shibata's brain won't stop Shibata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aw yeah im gonna get so many RTs on my tweet where i said we're gonna see danielson vs shibata

• Locked thread