Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tigren posted:

How about there being eight (8) MLS matches on and the first one doesn't start until 7PM. Spread them out over the day and I'll spend 10 hours watching our lovely league. Squish them all into the evening and I'll be lucky to watch one.

You'd think a Galaxy fan of all people would appreciate not scheduling day games in the middle of August.

paddyboat posted:

Part of my point was that if MLS wants lots of people to watch, they should put it on national tv. Maybe they don't and just want MLS Live money, but it seems like a bad way to grow.

I think that's not entirely the league's decision. If the national broadcasters only want three games a week then that's what happens. MLS Live is a backup plan, not a priority.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going to my first live MLS game of the year today, so while I agree that the future of the league is going to be shaped by the next TV deal I'm glad it's here now.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm going to my first live MLS game of the year today, so while I agree that the future of the league is going to be shaped by the next TV deal I'm glad it's here now.

You're supposed to poo poo on MLS because it's not Europe. Get with the program pal.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Am I allowed to enjoy the sporting game on Sunday? I really enjoy sporting games but now it seems to be out of fashion

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No one is saying don't enjoy watching the sport, jfc. I don't understand why it's impossible for people to read a criticism of their beloved MLS without taking it as a personal insult.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

wicka posted:

No one is saying don't enjoy watching the sport, jfc. I don't understand why it's impossible for people to read a criticism of their beloved MLS without taking it as a personal insult.

To be fair this isn't really unique to MLS. People get really into [sport, sports team, movie, video game, tv show, etc] and get all kinds of riled up when people come to critique it.

Personally I really enjoy MLS, but I also agree with the general premise of that article that the league is and probably has been for some time operating at a loss. Though I think calling it a Ponzi scheme is a bit of a stretch and basically click bait. That implies intent to defraud the billionaire owners buying into the league and without some leaked communication that points to the contrary, I doubt Garber and the people who run the league think the league is just going to collapse in the next ten or so years.

The moment of truth will probably be in 2024 when the tv deals are up, so see y'all then.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

You'd think a Galaxy fan of all people would appreciate not scheduling day games in the middle of August.

I think that's not entirely the league's decision. If the national broadcasters only want three games a week then that's what happens. MLS Live is a backup plan, not a priority.

My team plays tomorrow and I want to sit in air conditioning and watch soccer all day today. Instead I have to find some sort of productive activity to fill my time. Thanks Garber!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I like soccer. Am NOT going to tonight's game due to bronchitis and general anger at D.C. (MLS isn't a Ponzi scheme, but my club is run like a timeshare scam.) I like soccer which makes watching my local side painful. If Baltimore gets a USL side, I'll probably try them out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Watching the German Supercup, it dawned on me that MLS needs a thing like that. First game of the season should be the MLS Cup winners vs. the Supporters Shield winners. Bill it the MLS Mega Trophy or something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

To be fair this isn't really unique to MLS. People get really into [sport, sports team, movie, video game, tv show, etc] and get all kinds of riled up when people come to critique it.

I disagree. People are defensive when it comes to teams and players, not leagues. The NFL is wildly popular and most people actively hate the league itself. They just like the teams and the sport.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Watching the German Supercup, it dawned on me that MLS needs a thing like that. First game of the season should be the MLS Cup winners vs. the Supporters Shield winners. Bill it the MLS Mega Trophy or something.

https://youtu.be/A9pFmkeCtNA

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I know Liga MX and EPL does better in ratings, but aren't the Bundesliga ratings somehow significantly worse than MLS? I think a big part of the current crappy ratings is because ESPN and Fox are pretty terrible broadcasters and their stable of MLS announcers ranges from okay to awful, NBC seems to do a better job with the premier league, Liga MX just has a captive audience of millions of first and second gen Mexican-Americans no one I know who isn't Mexican bothers to watch their games though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The fox soccer announcers are the worst announcers in all of sports, let alone this sport.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Gigi Galli posted:

The fox soccer announcers are the worst announcers in all of sports, let alone this sport.

Are you forgetting the Univision English announcers?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

whypick1 posted:

They're bad but entertaining in their badness. Fox are just bad.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Oh my god! Those guys are so loving terrible. Second only to every local announcer. I'm specifically looking at you Cobi Jones and Shep Messing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only reason Pablo isn't going to be trapped in an iron maiden after this season is because the FO will be like: "Well, at least we weren't as bad as DC" and it will be another 997 years of darkness.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Star Man posted:

The only reason Pablo isn't going to be trapped in an iron maiden after this season is because the FO will be like: "Well, at least we weren't as bad as DC" and it will be another 997 years of darkness.

It's a deadman's switch, Ben and Pablo Blood Pact

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

We must appreciate that the official first use of VAR was for a kick to the nuts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It's a deadman's switch, Ben and Pablo Blood Pact

Can we launch both of them at each other headfirst from a cannon and watch something pretty hosed up happen?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Imagine if the Revs won an away game. Just think about it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gigi Galli posted:

Might break my head.

Seeing multiple "I like heaps but he's gotta go" on my FB feed.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Y'all travel to RFK at the end of the month. You will win.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Y'all travel to RFK at the end of the month. You will win.

Gonna quote this when DC wins 5-0 because why wouldn't they?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't realize how compact the West standings were. 4 teams tied for 2nd place, and any of them could make it as high as 1st or as low as 7th next week.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

binge crotching posted:

I didn't realize how compact the West standings were. 4 teams tied for 2nd place, and any of them could make it as high as 1st or as low as 7th next week.

The top 7 West teams all have exactly nine wins and they are separated by a total of six points.

Somebody is going to miss the playoffs solely because they constantly draw or lose winnable games and I BET I KNOW WHO IT IS. :arghfist:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 7, 2017

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

whypick1 posted:

Are you forgetting the NBCSN Tour de France announcers?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is some good shade

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/894588989637668864

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Lumping Gerrard and Donovan together like that though...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Releasing after the game is a bold move. Totally fire.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Releasing after the game is a bold move. Totally fire.

Bookmark it for when they miss the playoffs alongside us and we can call be owned together.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Tigren posted:

Oh my god! Those guys are so loving terrible. Second only to every local announcer. I'm specifically looking at you Cobi Jones and Shep Messing.

I missed the Sounders/Minnesota game live so I got to experience the Minny local announcers on the MLS Live replay. Dear god, how have these guys not rocketed to the top of the lovely Announcers power rankings?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Because the only thing that stands out about them is that their color commentator is a woman? :shrug:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The RSL local guys are the worst, without question.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I don't mind the Revs local guys at all. It helps that Paul Mariner is one of them so he actually knows what's going on, on the pitch and with the team.

It also helps that what's going on on the pitch is "garbage" and what's going on with the team is "nothing".

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Shep messing is alright imo.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Xylorjax posted:

I missed the Sounders/Minnesota game live so I got to experience the Minny local announcers on the MLS Live replay. Dear god, how have these guys not rocketed to the top of the lovely Announcers power rankings?

The pbp guy's voice would quaver every time something exciting happened, it was real weird.

Also:
https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/894698958714421248

Does DC have *anyone* left who can score?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Shep messing is alright imo.

I chatted with him for a bit at MLS Cup 2008, he's a good dude.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

The pbp guy's voice would quaver every time something exciting happened, it was real weird.

Also:
https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/894698958714421248

Does DC have *anyone* left who can score?

Owen Goal will never leave the team.

Do we really have any use for Neagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm kind of surprised at this move. Giving up a 4th round draft pick is basically getting him for nothing, but him and Will Bruin are basically the same player. Maybe he's planning on retiring soon and going into coaching like Pineda?

• Locked thread