Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cornflakes posted:

After watching Dany suck I respect the original Aegon for conquering Westeros in like 3 weeks

That's cause Aegon probably had his own Yara who said "Hey, just go take your dragons and capture King's Landing" and he was smart enough to go "Yea, that sounds like a pretty good plan!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

i81icu812 posted:

Euron is a goddamn hero of the people. The casting director and costume designers should be killed for failing to properly appreciate him.

Oh they properly appreciate him. It's just that Theon's not an adequate Matrix.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

WampaLord posted:

That's cause Aegon probably had his own Yara who said "Hey, just go take your dragons and capture King's Landing" and he was smart enough to go "Yea, that sounds like a pretty good plan!"

There was no King's Landing prior to the conquest and Aegon burned anyone and anything that belonged to them if they didn't bend the knee.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's where the king landed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Wasn't Aegon the one who destroyed Harrenhal and the entire ruling family of the Reach?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kater posted:

It's where the king landed.

Dragonstone?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come dragons always have to look like generic dragons. it'd be cool if someone made theirs look like an azhdarchid pterosaur like quetzalcoatlus.

Can I interest you in monster Hunter

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Peanut President posted:

Wasn't Aegon the one who destroyed Harrenhal and the entire ruling family of the Reach?

Yes.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, Sansa has been enduring mental torture, physical torture, rape, and soul crushing twists and perversions of her dreams.

Arya has became a complete psychopath and practically deriving pleasure from her murk lifestyle.

Bran has developed an acute case of aspergers, and suffering from PTSD.

John was dead for a long time and revived by supernatural forces only to have to face more supernatural forces and tolerate Daenerys delusions.

The price of that therapy bill will exceed the debt of the Crown to the Iron Bank

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I spent last night dreaming of undead dragons

Too many spoilers

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R-Type posted:

So, Sansa has been enduring mental torture, physical torture, rape, and soul crushing twists and perversions of her dreams.

Arya has became a complete psychopath and practically deriving pleasure from her murk lifestyle.

Bran has developed an acute case of aspergers, and suffering from PTSD.

John was dead for a long time and revived by supernatural forces only to have to face more supernatural forces and tolerate Daenerys delusions.

The price of that therapy bill will exceed the debt of the Crown to the Iron Bank

lol if you think any of them are going to survive the series.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Targs always want to fix medieval society but fail somehow. Aegon V got all his reforms reversed by Tywin, Rhaegar wanted to hold a council for new reforms right before he was killed on the Trident and the only person who knew was Jaime, and now Dany wants to make things better but she's developing Targ madness.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Y'know Rhaegar's even more tragic when you realize if he hadn't kidnapped Lyanna the world would have basically ended.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Everybody seems hyped on this episode I'm excited to watch it on the big screen tonight.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
What are the chances that next season when Euron hires the Golden Company Daario somehow managed to become their leader?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Has dying changed Jon? Like, is there a difference in personality? I can't tell
Maybe he and Beric can chat about it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have no idea how this show is going to work in yet another round of stupid backstabbing and politicking when the White Walkers and the army of the dead is pouring into Westeros but I guess we'll find out.

Unless the whole White Walker issue isn't the endgame which would just be the biggest anticlimactic thing ever.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Has dying changed Jon? Like, is there a difference in personality? I can't tell

Nope, it didn't (then again it's Kit Harington, so maybe he is supposed to be playing Super Evil Overlord right now and we could never tell the difference)

I think that showBeric doesn't even have his line saying that every time he comes back he feels more empty or sth

It was hilarious last season when the spoilers revealed Jon killing the mutineers how we all assumed he would return bad and ruthless ala Lady Stoneheart. But nope. Still as brooding and goody two shoes as ever.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 6, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Y'know Rhaegar's even more tragic when you realize if he hadn't kidnapped Lyanna the world would have basically ended.

Nah, Bobby B would have been able to stop the Others. War was what he was good at. He'd be back in his element being a hero on the battlefield with Ned at his side again.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If Rhaegar hadn't kidnapped Lyanna then Jon Snow wouldn't have been born and had the stupid idea to go capture a wight, and Kelly C wouldn't have hatched 3 dragons and dropped one right at the Night's King feet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Nope, it didn't (then again it's Kit Harington, so maybe he is supposed to be playing Super Evil Overlord right now and we could never tell the difference)

I think that showBeric doesn't even have his line saying that every time he comes back he feels more empty or sth

It was hilarious last season when the spoilers revealed Jon killing the mutineers how we all assumed he would return bad and ruthless ala Lady Stoneheart. But nope. Still as brooding and goody two shoes as ever.

showBeric does have that line in Season 3.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Pretty sure he did, it was Orys Baratheon

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 7, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
They need to have a battle with the Golden Company and at the end of it where there's just a load of bodies a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo of Jon Connington and Aegon's corpses.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Really good episode.

Can't wait for Goons to fall over themselves in a rush to tell me why it was bad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hitchensgoespop posted:

Really good episode.

Can't wait for Goons to fall over themselves in a rush to tell me why it was bad.

We only got 1/2 of the thread title. Bad episode.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

Really good episode.

This episode has received near universal praise here.

Because it was good, unlike the earlier episodes which were bad.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't mind Littlefinger dying a pointless death because he always struck me as one of the lower tier manipulators on the show anyway. Not quite a Varys.
I mean, who couldn't weave a web around Ned? the dude was kind of a dullard when it came to stuff like that.

The Queen of Thorns kinda went down with a fart too. I know we wanna think that was some sick last burn, but really think about it
"I killed your son..."
"Oh, I knew it wasn't my brother! Well, we uhh...murdered your entire family and household. And army, apparently."

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't mind Littlefinger dying a pointless death because he always struck me as one of the lower tier manipulators on the show anyway. Not quite a Varys.

This is what I feel too. During the early seasons when we had Littlefinger vs Varys exposition dump I was always Team Varys. At least in the books, his schemes were never so "In your face" as LF's were, and his motives were a mistery.

Now, while LF's "not as smart as he believes" schemes are coming to bite him back in the rear end, at least he is trying and doing something.

Varys on the other hand has completely lost his spy network, he fully supports Tyrion's retarded plans, his motives are revealed to be "The People's Hero" despite his actions contradicting this in the past, and gets reduced to a trembling fetal position baby whenever confronted by anyone related to magic.

I don't mind LF's decay because it was always obvious he was not top tier schemer, but Varys' decay really annoyed me.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dragonstone was their home. They invaded Westeros because Dragonstone is a shithole and a moronic place to base an invasion of the mainland.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's funny how the Targaryans were just some worthless hick family of nobodies at the rear end end of the Valyrian Empire and only became important because by being in bum gently caress nowhere they were the only ones who survived the apocalypse.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am hoping Jon gets an urgent message from winterfell and the only way to get back in time to stop whatever it is will be for him and daenerys to take dragons.

I also hope that it means Davos becomes the 3rd dragonrider. I would take back every bad thing I have ever said about this show if Davos was the 3rd dragonrider.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I am hoping Jon gets an urgent message from winterfell and the only way to get back in time to stop whatever it is will be for him and daenerys to take dragons.

I also hope that it means Davos becomes the 3rd dragonrider. I would take back every bad thing I have ever said about this show if Davos was the 3rd dragonrider

The 3rd dragonrider is the Night King

Technically the 2nd dragonrider since he's going to do it before Jon probably does next season.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The 3rd dragonrider is the Night King

Technically the 2nd dragonrider since he's going to do it before Jon probably does next season.

So Davos's dragon goes evasive during the battle and he falls off due to lack of grip and it clears the way for the Night King.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's funny how the Targaryans were just some worthless hick family of nobodies at the rear end end of the Valyrian Empire and only became important because by being in bum gently caress nowhere they were the only ones who survived the apocalypse.

Hence the crazy, the incest, and Dany's obsession with making everyone drink Faygo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They went there intentionally because Aegon's mother predicted the doom of Valyria and they gtfo'd.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

They went there intentionally because Aegon's mother predicted the doom of Valyria and they gtfo'd.

Oh, that makes it pretty lame then. They're more interesting as lucky podunk assholes than prophesied saviors.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, that makes it pretty lame then. They're more interesting as lucky podunk assholes than prophesied saviors.

Naw it's cool, just think of them in the same way you do for people who sell all their worldy possessions because the rapture's coming.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

This is what I feel too. During the early seasons when we had Littlefinger vs Varys exposition dump I was always Team Varys. At least in the books, his schemes were never so "In your face" as LF's were, and his motives were a mistery.

Now, while LF's "not as smart as he believes" schemes are coming to bite him back in the rear end, at least he is trying and doing something.

Varys on the other hand has completely lost his spy network, he fully supports Tyrion's retarded plans, his motives are revealed to be "The People's Hero" despite his actions contradicting this in the past, and gets reduced to a trembling fetal position baby whenever confronted by anyone related to magic.

I don't mind LF's decay because it was always obvious he was not top tier schemer, but Varys' decay really annoyed me.

Agree on LF vs. Varys. My take is that LF's scheming was good when the stakes were limited to palace intrigue, but now the fate if the world's in the balance and he can't handle it.

I liked that scene in Season 1 where Arya was in the basement of the Red Keep and overheard the conversation between Varys and Ilyrio. Even back then they were pro-Targaryen. Whatever happened to that guy?

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cornflakes posted:

I liked that scene in Season 1 where Arya was in the basement of the Red Keep and overheard the conversation between Varys and Ilyrio. Whatever happened to that guy?

I think they couldn't get the actor back so they just kinda wrote him out of his joint Fire & Blood scheme with Varys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Lol the HBO Go splash just says "Episode 64: the next episode of the television series Games of Thrones."

GG guys, we know after the leak none of y'all give a gently caress and are waiting for the next ep of Rick and Morty like the rest of us.

• Locked thread