Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

also I hope Burn Gorman comes back. Unless he died or something. I can't really remember what happens to anyone in the film, other than I think older Australian and Idris Elba die and the main two end up on a life raft and every other pilot is dead apart from the other Aussie and Ron Perlman loses his god drat shoe and oh gently caress it I'm gonna go dig out the blu ray and watch the fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Gorman is confirmed, there were photos on Instagram (can't recall if it was DeKnight, Boyega, or Day) with a shot of them on set probably doing a read-thru. I also want to know the status of Goddamn Shoe (now there's a Jaeger name) but Perlman has neither confirmed or denied involvement.

McDragon posted:

As long as a cool robot with a silly name has a good fight with a cool monster with a silly name and hits it with some form of transport, I will be satisfied with this film.

This is the perfect way to approach Pacific Rim as a franchise.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone okay the fighting game? Where you could build your own Jaeger? It was real dumb but I was super into it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I watched the original in 4k last night and I'm really starting to doubt that a sequel will be able to deliver a similar quality film. It's just amazing on the eyes and shot really well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're a film minor who's completely unfamiliar with critical theory?

No, I just find that your method of film criticism is busting rear end in a paper bag labeled "zizek" and then holding it to your face. You derailed the last pacific rim thread to say humanity banding together was fascist. You're the patron saint of finding a film insufficiently marxist.

How do you enjoy anything? Your life sounds pedantic and joylesss.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, I just find that your method of film criticism is busting rear end in a paper bag labeled "zizek" and then holding it to your face. You derailed the last pacific rim thread to say humanity banding together was fascist. You're the patron saint of finding a film insufficiently marxist.

In truth, I have enjoyed Pacific Rim more than you have. This much is evident in how you perceive your own enjoyment as being fragile, as being under threat.

That is why you have boasted about your identity as a 'political' college student (which college?) - but, when the time came for you to write something political, you wrote about pooping.

You also wrote a vague statement about joyfully (and nonspecifically) 'uniting humanity' against Marxism, while insisting that you are purely apolitical.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Zizek never got to the point in They Live where the rebels begin to organize, and suddenly wearing the goddamn glasses is a painless and even enjoyable experience.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Halloween Jack posted:

Zizek never got to the point in They Live where the rebels begin to organize, and suddenly wearing the goddamn glasses is a painless and even enjoyable experience.

See that's when they became Fascists, enthusiastically fighting a war of aggression against Marxism.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Marxism is a form of analysis. That's as silly as declaring war against an emotion.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

*picture of a jaeger*
THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
THIS MACHINE KILLS

-fascists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well This Machine Kills Commies

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Bringing this thread back because the trailer drops at NYCC today *CHERNO ALPHA HORN*

Now that we have a plot synopsis I've seen concern that Jake Pentecost is described as having criminal underworld ties because oh no, what if this has bad stereotyping :ohdear: otoh Boyega was involved with the script; my totally unfounded speculation is that Jake was linked back to Chau which further cemented Stacker making an under-the-table deal to keep the PPDC going. Here's to hopefully seeing Jake and Mako reconcile over their memories of dad then drifting and kicking kaiju rear end during the finale.

Additionally, DeKnight commented there's no overt LGBTQ rep but he absolutely has ideas:

https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/status/916086494170894336

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Bringing this thread back because the trailer drops at NYCC today *CHERNO ALPHA HORN*

Now that we have a plot synopsis I've seen concern that Jake Pentecost is described as having criminal underworld ties because oh no, what if this has bad stereotyping :ohdear: otoh Boyega was involved with the script; my totally unfounded speculation is that Jake was linked back to Chau which further cemented Stacker making an under-the-table deal to keep the PPDC going. Here's to hopefully seeing Jake and Mako reconcile over their memories of dad then drifting and kicking kaiju rear end during the finale.

Additionally, DeKnight commented there's no overt LGBTQ rep but he absolutely has ideas:

https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/status/916086494170894336

Trailer played last night before Blade Runner 2049. Looks so dope.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's the odds on an "Apocalypse Cancelled" line showing up?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Panel or trailer might be live here soonish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDCPc_446k

12PM is ET, right? Considering it's NYCC. Which should be now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6FzK-HOyfU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhiLLOhVis

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daytime scenes!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

well why not posted:

Daytime scenes!

2Pac!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Action scenes look decent. Writing sounds beyond atrocious.

The visuals seem pretty great as others pointed out.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Extremely not into that trailer.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

ufarn posted:

Action scenes look decent. Writing sounds beyond atrocious.

The visuals seem pretty great as others pointed out.

Writing wasn't great in the first one but it was part of the charm. You can't have people yelling out "YEAH POWER MOVE" without it coming off as goofy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mainnnnn theeeemmeee sonnnngggggg!!!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

The writing can be cheesy as long as I get some Space Jaegers and Voltron Kaiju action.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It looks better in motion than I thought it would.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Mainnnnn theeeemmeee sonnnngggggg!!!
Yeah that too, but hopefully they just let some team cut the trailer. At least the VFX looks perfect, which is hardly always the case for trailers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pops Mgee posted:

Writing wasn't great in the first one but it was part of the charm. You can't have people yelling out "YEAH POWER MOVE" without it coming off as goofy.
Looking back the Australians really made the first one, including their accent that was p much anything but Aussie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
So based on the trailer it's Jager vs Jager until the big Kaiju shows up and they all team up on it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I fixed the trailer for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1O_h6Yeeio

You're welcome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Panfilo”" post="“477119788”"]
So based on the trailer it’s Jager vs Jager until the big Kaiju shows up and they all team up on it?
[/quote]

I can't tell if its just factions fighting each other, aliens taking over jaegers, or straight up copying and sending jaegers when the monsters become ineffective.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I'm so torn. On one hand the its so jarring how far removed this is from Del Toro's vision. On the other hand, its still gonna be giant robots fighting giant monsters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't tell if its just factions fighting each other, aliens taking over jaegers, or straight up copying and sending jaegers when the monsters become ineffective.

I heard something where Charlie Day is the villain.

I hope that's true.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Maybe he plays the Night Man.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I heard something where Charlie Day is the villain.

I hope that's true.

He knows how to control the rift and is making it bigger because the fights are cool

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
His Jager will have a giant baseball bat with nails stuck in it I bet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I dunno I'm excited for more even if it likely won't be as good :shrug:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I am there day 1, but I still got a transformers vibe (not good).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Looks kinda Power Rangersy. Dunno if that's good or bad.

I'm disappointed that Mako and Boyega aren't partners but maybe late in the film Mako will get back in the saddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think we're getting a little of everything:

- various state conflicts since there's no common enemy to force petty squabbling aside
- some independent/criminal actors/Jaeger terrorism. There's a shot at the beginning of the trailer with a what looks like a homebrew Jaeger too, so it can't be that hard for mafia types to rig a few up.
- Kaiju merging with Jaegers and/or copying their designs for an advantage. If Charlie Day is a villain or sleeper agent then this is definitely where that will come in

Throw it all at the wall and see what sticks. It's definitely missing some of the hallmarks of GDT's vision but I'm in anyway.

Please put better music in the future trailers though, Jesus Christ that was so bad.

• Locked thread