Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
There's a new Pacific Rim coming out. I'm sure a lot of you enjoyed the last one.

http://www.gojaeger.com/

This is a movie that's always been after my heart. How can you beat giant battle suits fighting monsters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-gG-VyXPg

The trailer has plenty of GlaDOS voice in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll probably go see it anyway but none of those designs are half as good as the nuclear reactor head robot from the first one. :(

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Those designs look boring as poo poo. Hopefully the monsters at least look cool this time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Need one that is just covered in spikes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And let's watch all the vaguely interesting ones get relegated to flashbacks or stomped after five minutes of screentime to demonstrate how dangerous the new kaiju are.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Pacific Rim was dumb as gently caress and had a lot wrong with it, but I DID enjoy it all the same. I just can't hold its flaws against it somehow.

Also its evil politician was an obvious Mitt Romney stand-in.

Those designs are boring and the names are boring. There was a kind of dopey charm to names like STRIKER EUREKA and CRIMSON TYPHOON, and these are basically the same but less so. Also just sicking "2.0" at the end of every part on the Gipsy Danger replacement is some lazy loving poo poo. Even the art style of those drawings is worse.

e: What the gently caress is a Director Steven S. DeKnight?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 20, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

e: What the gently caress is a Director Steven S. DeKnight?

Ever watch Spartacus on Starz? Or the first season of Daredevil?

Yeah, he's why both of those owned.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

There was a kind of dopey charm to names like STRIKER EUREKA and CRIMSON TYPHOON, and these are basically the same but less so.

I think that's a case of addition by subtraction. The names in the first one were too obviously a Because Anime trait; these are more approaching something normal people would name these mechs.

E: I think it's interesting that only the Gypsy Avenger mech has bars for Performance, and some of the bars are lower than others. Maybe whoever is running it aren't as good as they think?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Bracer Phoenix and Titan Redeemer look cool, but still don't compare to classic Gipsy and Cherno :ussr:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the name of the robot that went down like a bitch in the first one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calaveron posted:

What was the name of the robot that went down like a bitch in the first one

Which one? Cherno Alpha (Russians) and Crimson Typhoon (Chinese) went down after about thirty seconds on screen. Coyote Tango was strictly a flashback.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You may need to narrow it down.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
Pacific rim was one of my favorite dumb movies, but mostly cause it had giant robots and giant monsters punching each other. I don't see any giant monsters. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I see we're still going with "punch them to death" instead of "controlled detonations" because Anime.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This will be so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I doubt it will be better than the first one but it'll probably be fun as hell

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Pacific Rim 1 was the perfect movie to smoke a bowl in my car with my buddy immediately before showtime and enjoy two blissful dumb energetic hours of robot and monster punching.

This one will probably be a slightly more bootleg version of that but I will likely be ready to follow that trend.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It'd be cool if this one had a good story

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Riptor posted:

It'd be cool if this one had a good story

It would be cool if they got rid of bad Australian actor guy and his animu waifu too

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It'd be cool if they let you see the robots and monsters clearly for more than one fight out of four!!!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

banned from Starbucks posted:

It would be cool if they got rid of bad Australian actor guy and his animu waifu too

Monkeys paw: Hunnam is gone but we got Clint Eastwood's lovely son in his place. Evens out the acceptable change of losing Idris Elba but gaining John Boyega, I guess.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Australians in the first movie were at least funny with how they seemed to be in on this being a cheesy, over the top summer action flick.

But my God I could not care less about White Bread McBland Dude who was supposedly the lead.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Is Ron Perlman coming back for this one? He needs to find his other shoe.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The one thing I hope for the movie is that they don't do the drat "robot does punch, cut to humans doing the punch, cut back to the robot" poo poo this time. Fights in the first one never got a decent chance to breathe and let me see what was happening.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
No seriously there was a robot it looked really cool and the marketing focused on how cool it looked but in movie it showed up, moved around a bit and then a kaiju chumped it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

No seriously there was a robot it looked really cool and the marketing focused on how cool it looked but in movie it showed up, moved around a bit and then a kaiju chumped it

But enough about Bernie Sanders

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
First move was and awesome bad movie and so I will definitely be going to see this, especially as they brought back the elbow rocket on Gypsy Avenger :allears:

Elbow Rocket Engaged!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuZPIc8nSk

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, whoever wrote GLADoS's lines in that trailer sure gets the aesthetic.

quote:

What is a Jager? It's you... times a thousand! Tall as a mountain with a beating heart that burns as bright as the sun!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I want more Anime As gently caress moments like the part in the first movie where the flying kaiju was taking the main robot to space until the robot unsheathed its katana giant sword and cut the fucker up :black101:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

I want more Anime As gently caress moments like the part in the first movie where the flying kaiju was taking the main robot to space until the robot unsheathed its katana giant sword and cut the fucker up :black101:

Well, if you take a look a closer look at the Gypsy Avenger image, you'll notice not only does it have a Chain Sword, it has a Chain Sword 2.0

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh, they have a girl one :buddy:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ever watch Spartacus on Starz? Or the first season of Daredevil?

Yeah, he's why both of those owned.

That's weird, he directed by far the worst episode of Daredevil S1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh, they have a girl one :buddy:

We try not to sexualize them

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Varam posted:

He was the showrunner for the whole thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Varam posted:

As mentioned, he was the showrunner for the season. He was also showrunner for Spartacus, which, seriously, if you haven't watched Spartacus, do that right the gently caress now. If you're not hooked by the end of the Spartacus/Crixus vs. Theokoles fight, you might literally be dead and not have a pulse.

Like, don't get me wrong, it's very much in the "fun trash" end of TV and not the "Serious Prestige Drama" end, but there's not many shows more fun than it, and it achieves a surprising amount of emotional resonance if you let it.

e: I was trying to find a baller and non-spoilery clip from the show on Youtube but uh, there's really not much :smith: This is the best I could do and it is fairly spoilery but it has the bulk of John Hannah's hilariously awesome performance in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6dvSINe38E

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 21, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!
I hope they're going somewhere interesting with that teaser feeling like a car commercial.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll probably go see it anyway but none of those designs are half as good as the nuclear reactor head robot from the first one. :(

Truth. Cherno Alpha was the best and it's a shame it only got such a relatively small part.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Shadowhand00 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-gG-VyXPg

The trailer has plenty of GlaDOS voice in it.

This trailer is silly. What is the point of having a trailer full of Jaegers with nothing else in the shot to give you a sense of visual scale, which is the thing that makes them awesome? They may as well be power rangers.

Glad Boyega gets to be British for once.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I hope this one is actually about giant mechas fighting giant monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I'm getting the impression it's only one pilot per Jaeger this time, which means less opportunity for whining about partners and teamwork and trust and looking out for each other. I mean that as a bad thing.

• Locked thread