Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stop talking about Lost you loving old timers. Comrad Detective is on Amazon, it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Constant was really good and I really enjoyed Walkabout.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Stop talking about Lost you loving old timers. Comrad Detective is on Amazon, it's so good.

Comrad Detective?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Comrad Detective?

Brah...don't sleep in it. It's wild

E: Comrade, obviously.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrVenkman posted:

I get it's a budget thing, but I do wish they'd bring back some of the creature effects from S1/2. Now, regardless of what it is, it's usually a variation on the same idea (Appears like a person, but they're a monster underneath).

It's vanity. You don't need money to have a monster on screen, you need money to have a monster on screen who doesn't look stupid as hell. Buffy and X-files had so many terrible looking monsters, it was great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The Constant was really good and I really enjoyed Walkabout.
The Constant is a good ep but I think the nostalgia is out of control

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even try to pick a favorite episode but I think the Constant stands out for people because it's a relatively self contained story with a hell of an earned emotional climax at the end.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm tearing up just thinking about The Constant. oh my goooodddddddd that was so good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I somehow missed that Amazon Prime added all of the original episodes of Unsolved Mysteries and even added brand new updates for some of the cases. This is going to take up some significant time out of my life for the rest of this year probably.

All of Forensic Files is on YouTube too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it turns out the new thing for TV revivals is ignoring series finales. Roseanne hasn't said how much they're undoing but the big one is Dan (John Goodman) still being alive. While Will & Grace is just going to completely ignore theirs since it involved everyone moving on, getting married and having kids.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably a good way to go about it. Quantum Leap should come back and ignore the finale too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's Always Sunny would be half the show it is if it didn't have the soundtrack it does goddamn

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Important question. Is the original Romanian available as an alternate audio track?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

Probably a good way to go about it. Quantum Leap should come back and ignore the finale too.

I always thought the finale of Quantum Leap should have had him leaping into the body of one of the Project scientists or financers for some unrelated reason, giving him the opportunity to tell himself from the past to end the project, but in the end he realizes that it is for the greater good that he doesn't say anything, and it ends with him leaping out at the same time the "original" Sam leaps for the first time.

They could even make it so he helped "Sam" solve a piece of the puzzle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

So it turns out the new thing for TV revivals is ignoring series finales. Roseanne hasn't said how much they're undoing but the big one is Dan (John Goodman) still being alive. While Will & Grace is just going to completely ignore theirs since it involved everyone moving on, getting married and having kids.

Roseanne isn't ignoring the finale, they're ignoring the entire final season. So no Dan dying of a heart attack, no lottery win, no switch out ending where it was made clear that everything in the series was just her life as she wanted it to be told and not how it actually happened.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The switch out ending is like the only thing that redeemed that final season.

I usually don't care about these reboots/revivals but this one actually kind of bugs me if they're just wiping that off the board.

Which is weird since that was a retcon and wiped the entire season of the board. But don't criticize my nostalgia, damnit!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That doesn't bother me at all. The entire last season was garbage and gently caress them for killing off the best character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it was better than having him randomly cheat on his wife and then having her have an affair with a weird cartoon billionaire.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

The switch out ending is like the only thing that redeemed that final season.

I usually don't care about these reboots/revivals but this one actually kind of bugs me if they're just wiping that off the board.

Which is weird since that was a retcon and wiped the entire season of the board. But don't criticize my nostalgia, damnit!

It didn't just retcon the entire last season, it retconned all nine seasons. You're told in no uncertain terms that she basically was just telling her idealized fictional version of her life. Which works fine for a finale to the series but leaves no room for any real continuation from that point. That's why it all has to be wiped away as if it didn't happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

True. I guess I just liked it. I get why its necessary to revive the series. I guess I just don't feel like reviving the series is necessary.

Which as I said, I don't usually care about but this is apparently pressing on some nostalgia nerve.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Comrade Detective is... :psyduck:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A Short Story About NBC:

I'm watching CNN's docu-series about The Nineties (which is very good, as most of CNN's docu-series are), and the first of two episodes about TV (which is basically just a bunch of ex-writers and TV critics talking about great 90s TV) features a segment talking about the end of Cheers going into Frasier, and there was a clip of an NBC executive talking about how he would be waiting by the phone for any of the Cheers actors to come back because they're worth a load of money. This would be prior to the success of Friends and Seinfeld, so it comes from a brief period where NBC was very unsure about their future, and the pure desperation in that executive's eyes was so palpable that I could have spread it on toast.

Fast forward to a few days ago:

"Deadline posted:

NBC’s upcoming Will & Grace revival as well as the new installment of Roseanne on ABC have put a spotlight on bringing back more recent series — from the 1990s and even 2000s — as opposed to older shows that had been getting reboots, including Hawaii Five-0 on CBS; Dynasty on the CW; and Miami Vice, which NBC is developing for next season.

There had been a lot of chatter the past few weeks about NBC potentially bringing back Emmy-winning comedy The Office, with Greg Daniels — who developed and ran the U.S. version of the British series — at the helm and possibly a new cast. While I’d heard some optimism around town that a new Office may be in the offing, NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt did not indicate that a deal is in the works.

“We often talk about The Office, I’ve talked to Greg four times over the past few years. It’s always, ‘maybe some day but not now’,” Greenblatt said in an interview with Deadline during NBC’s portion of the TCA press tour. “There is certainly an open invitation but we don’t have anything happening right now. If he wants to do it, I would do it.”

Greenblatt indicated that NBC also is interested in more 30 Rock, its Emmy-winning comedy created by and starring Tina Fey. “I’d say to Tina ‘Hey, you think some more 30 Rock makes any sense?’ She’d say, I don’t know maybe.’"

The network is currently working with Aaron Sorkin, creator of the Emmy-winning NBC drama The West Wing, on a live production of A Few Good Men. “I keep saying to him, 'Do you want to do The West Wing again, wouldn’t it be great to do it?’ He says, ‘You know I love that show and some day I’d love to revisit it, but it’s not going to happen right now.’ I’ve said it to John Wells on ER, but there is nothing concrete except Miami Vice which is something that we are reviving.”

The four series Greenblatt mentioned are all signature NBC shows with long, successful runs and Best Series Emmy wins. While he would love to see them come back, the network is being selective, only going for “the flashiest, the best things” to try and reboot. Also, “it’s not an easy think to crack (a revival), expectations are so high and you’ve got to get it just right,” Greenblatt added.

He reiterated that “we’re not thinking anything beyond Miami Vice” at the moment but “if Tina called and said ‘I’d do 30 Rock,’ I’d do it in a heartbeat, even for a limited run. The same about The Office.”

With Will & Grace, NBC introduced a new type of revival that includes the original cast, creators and director. “I think that to me is the best way to go — you have the original DNA of the creators, you have the director, you have the cast, you have the set — everything is what it once was.”

NBC: The Physical Representation of Thirst For 25 Years

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

True. I guess I just liked it. I get why its necessary to revive the series. I guess I just don't feel like reviving the series is necessary.

Which as I said, I don't usually care about but this is apparently pressing on some nostalgia nerve.

The finale switch ending legit hit a pretty strong emotional nerve with me when it aired, but I'm more than ok with them retconning the entire final season for the continuation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think that's it. Dan's heart attack was an emotional episode arc that stuck with me and the big reveal at the end really hit me. Plus a couple of years later my dad died of a heart attack and I always kind of connected with stuff in Roseanne so I think it just kind of all left a mark.

Which is probably why I seem to care about this even though I'm usually pretty chill about these things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like how in iasip if the gang is doing incidental around the bar drinking they have Coors product placement but if drinking is meant to be the cause of a problem or beer is being consumed while doing something dangerous (ala the Wade Boggs episode) they use either made for TV set dressing cans or microbrewery brands

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

The finale switch ending legit hit a pretty strong emotional nerve with me when it aired, but I'm more than ok with them retconning the entire final season for the continuation.

I know a lot of people hate that ending, but I also think it's great. It's just impossible to continue from that in any way so if they all want to come back, and I want to see it if they want to do it, then it's gotta go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm sure Tom Arnold is blasting all their phones begging to be allowed to come back too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dancer posted:

Important question. Is the original Romanian available as an alternate audio track?

No Idea man. But I assume not.

precision posted:

Comrade Detective is... :psyduck:

It’s Bucharest, baby.
https://youtu.be/ObfvbbByU0s

I didn't realise Joseph Gordon Levitt did the other voice.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 7, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Calaveron posted:

I like how in iasip if the gang is doing incidental around the bar drinking they have Coors product placement but if drinking is meant to be the cause of a problem or beer is being consumed while doing something dangerous (ala the Wade Boggs episode) they use either made for TV set dressing cans or microbrewery brands

They do have the coors sign that Charlie turns on every day

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Comrade Detective is pretty great.

I like that they employed all real local Romanian actors and filmed in Romania.

Also that Channing Tatum made the show because he told his people to bring him the worst ideas they could think of.

edit: "She's a capitalist... isn't calling her a prostitute redundant?"

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 7, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

lelandjs posted:

I've seen somewhere that it was actually a gambit by Cuse and Lindelof--they made an episode that was intentionally medicore and, instead of advancing the overall plot, explained the most inane "mystery" they could think of. They then took the ratings and viewer response to the ABC execs and said "Look, either you can give us an end date so we can start working towards an ending like the viewers want, or we can keep spinning our wheels with episodes like this, we'll lose viewers, and you'll end up cancelling us in a year or two."

I like to think that's what actually happened, because overall the casting in Lost is so good that the only logical explanation for notably terrible actress Bai Ling being in the show is that they were pulling a "Producers" style stunt.

Or maybe they just put out a bad episode.

They knew they were just spinning their wheels and they knew they produced a bad episode. Once it was done they took it to ABC and just said listen, here's when we want to end the show, if we don't get that you're going to get more episodes like this because we don't know how long this is going to have to run. ABC agreed and it's reflected in the latter half of S3 which is much better than the start.

I don't think they intentionally made a bad episode for that purpose, but they made one and used it as leverage to get the end date they wanted, which was a pretty good move on their part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the many reasons James Avery's death sucks is that we'll never get a Fresh Prince revival. I mean I guess you could do it, but Fresh Prince without Uncle Phil isn't Fresh Prince.

I don't care how lovely and self-indulgent it would've been, I would've watched it just to see the old gang back together.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before they bring Fresh Prince back, Will sends Jayden to live with Cousin Carlton.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before they bring Fresh Prince back, Will sends Jayden to live with Cousin Carlton.

:shepicide:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

If this actually happens I'm blaming you.

Ozark, however, is amazing, I'm only 3 episodes in but I'm really digging Breaking Bad crossed with Justified.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix signed a deal with Mark Millar for his comics stuff. He's the guy who wrote Kingsmen, Wanted and Kick rear end, among other things.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

A Short Story About NBC:

I'm watching CNN's docu-series about The Nineties (which is very good, as most of CNN's docu-series are), and the first of two episodes about TV (which is basically just a bunch of ex-writers and TV critics talking about great 90s TV) features a segment talking about the end of Cheers going into Frasier, and there was a clip of an NBC executive talking about how he would be waiting by the phone for any of the Cheers actors to come back because they're worth a load of money. This would be prior to the success of Friends and Seinfeld, so it comes from a brief period where NBC was very unsure about their future, and the pure desperation in that executive's eyes was so palpable that I could have spread it on toast.

Fast forward to a few days ago:

NBC: The Physical Representation of Thirst For 25 Years

Miami Vice is coming back?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

If this actually happens I'm blaming you.

Girl Meets World was a thing, a bunch of beloved 90's sitcoms are coming back from the dead, it's inevitable at this point.

zoux posted:

Netflix signed a deal with Mark Millar for his comics stuff. He's the guy who wrote Kingsmen, Wanted and Kick rear end, among other things.

Yeesh, those three properties are really the "best" he's writen, and they had to go through a LOT of changes to get to the quality that the movies were (though I would argue that Wanted would have been better if it stuck a little closer to the source material, mostly because I want to see Eminem go apeshit on people on screen).

[Edit: Oh no wait, Wanted is the one that's full of MRA "alpha male" bullshit, and also comes across like Millar read Fight Club, didn't realize it was parody, and took it even further. gently caress Wanted, and gently caress Mark Millar]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 7, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Girl Meets World was a thing, a bunch of beloved 90's sitcoms are coming back from the dead, it's inevitable at this point.

Yeah but it doesn't have the stench of Jaden Smith on it. I don't dislike your premise, just the fact that you're absolutely right that Will Smith would shove his no-talent kid on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mark Millar is a dogshit moron and I am very glad we have Vaughn to polish his turds to a goddamn shine and make actual good movies out of them

• Locked thread