Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Depends how far you want to extend it, and your video card. Some video cards are better than others and can push out a stronger signal to go further with a passive cable. I have a 6' passive hdmi extension and it works fine, best buy sells a 10' combined hdmi/usb3.0 extension for the rift, but I've heard some reports of people with some video cards having trouble at that length. Safest advice is 6' passive, you may have no problem going longer, but you might as well depending on your video card.

And unless you're just really moving away from your PC, 6 foot seems like more than enough for most place spaces. Hell I only put the extention on mine for my play space just so I could hit the extreme corners of the room without it being almost pulled off the ground. That extra 6 feet basically makes it so long theres a tiny cord pile in the corner when I play.

Now Ignore all of that if you're doing the hang it from the ceiling thing. Seriously considering that myself, trying to decide if its worth it or not. Starting to think so with 360 setup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

JazzFlight posted:

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades (or whichever order the title is in) is pretty drat cool. I've never fired an actual firearm before, so the volume and kickback of the shots along with having to manually load is very satisfying.

I'm not sure how much of an actual game is there yet, and I haven't figured out how to duplicate ammo or set it to infinite, but it's a cool playground.

MEATS, Werstworld, Meatgrinder, Arcade Protocol and Breaching Protocol are the most 'game' levels. MEATS is an interactive shooting range including an Equilibrium simulator (Cleric mode), WW is a Westworld parody with a bunch of puzzles and pre 1900 guns, Meatgrinder is kinda like Receiver (Slenderman with guns) with the hunting for guns and the robots trying to kill you, Arcade puts you on a platform against a bunch of targets at all angles, and Breaching lets you run an IPSC course with your choice of guns.

Put ammo in your chest slot, then hover the controller over it and click the touchpad. It should turn purple. You can also stack multiple bullets (up to 10) in the slot by pressing down. Anton has a video that explains it pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukw-SbrDTEc

The Blade Runner That Gun he just added is amazing and you should try running that with the ProxMine rounds

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
finally fixed it after getting the cord i needed and pluggin my monitor into the GPU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

massecurr posted:

finally fixed it after getting the cord i needed and pluggin my monitor into the GPU

Good to hear. I wonder why steam is so twitchy about that though.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I didn't know it was even possible to use the GPU and motherboard monitor ports at the same time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BMan posted:

I didn't know it was even possible to use the GPU and motherboard monitor ports at the same time.

Depends on the CPU/Chipset.

The P67 chipset I'm using for my 2600k doesn't support the IGPU on the chip, for instance. Meanwhile, the Ryzen 1700x can be used in a motherboard with video out, but has no IGPU to drive it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone said this in the PSVR thread a while back and I can't find the post. A VR survival horror game where you are in wheelchair and using motion controllers to wheel yourself around with a shotgun in your lap that you can grab would be seriously great. someone needs to get on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

veni veni veni posted:

Someone said this in the PSVR thread a while back and I can't find the post. A VR survival horror game where you are in wheelchair and using motion controllers to wheel yourself around with a shotgun in your lap that you can grab would be seriously great. someone needs to get on it.

That already exists. I don't know if it was StarVR or someone else, but they had a demo at some convention where you were in a wheelchair and you had a shotgun. The idea was that someone was pushing you around and you had to shoot things. The person working the demo would move the wheel chair around to mimic what was happening in the game.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best way to deal with your cable? I've got mine suspended, but when I put it on there's about a foot or two of slack cable dangling around for me to get tangled in.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

That already exists. I don't know if it was StarVR or someone else, but they had a demo at some convention where you were in a wheelchair and you had a shotgun. The idea was that someone was pushing you around and you had to shoot things. The person working the demo would move the wheel chair around to mimic what was happening in the game.

Yup, was starVR, and "The Walking Dead" I believe.

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's the best way to deal with your cable? I've got mine suspended, but when I put it on there's about a foot or two of slack cable dangling around for me to get tangled in.

I just let it lay on the ground and step over it :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah you just get used to the cable, not really something I think about anymore. I think suspending it would be a lot more annoying tbh

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

Yeah you just get used to the cable, not really something I think about anymore. I think suspending it would be a lot more annoying tbh

Nah it's loving lifechanging. Spinning around forever in a circle feels great and you don't worry about tripping over it or anything. Maybe adjust it once or twice a session but otherwise it's a massive improvement in experience

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Taintrunner posted:

Nah it's loving lifechanging. Spinning around forever in a circle feels great and you don't worry about tripping over it or anything. Maybe adjust it once or twice a session but otherwise it's a massive improvement in experience

I wanted to hear this.

How are you suspending it? I'm debating just using regular hooks and be done with it. But if there's a better solution I'm interested.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
With the six foot extensions the cord really doesn't bother me at all, except I have to untwist it every so often, which suspending the cable doesn't help with.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Speaking of the cable any recent news about the wireless adapter for the Vive?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

8one6 posted:

Speaking of the cable any recent news about the wireless adapter for the Vive?

Most recent is that they are aiming for a release in the US very soon, it also won't be the same version as the Chinese version which you can buy today but an upgraded one.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Get rid of the slack with either lanyard-retractor-thingies or dog-walking-retractor-thingies.
Suspending is the way to go dudes, seriously.
Don't put up with that stepping over the cable bullshit, be a man and suspend.

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread
Oculus have a new single-box bundle for the Rift + Touch Controllers package that does not come with the Xbox controller & wireless receiver.

What sucks is that everyone on back order will be getting this version for the same price that earlier buyers paid for the SKU that included those accessories. People are reporting that their orders have been updated after the fact to omit those items.

Would be nice if we got vouchers or something to compensate for that, but I'm not expecting anything. I didn't want those things for VR, but it would've been a nice bonus for use with other games.

At least I didn't order a week before the special was announced. :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Does Echo Arena have groups yet? Can you actually play with friends or is it still just all random matchmaking?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chadzok posted:

Get rid of the slack with either lanyard-retractor-thingies or dog-walking-retractor-thingies.
Suspending is the way to go dudes, seriously.
Don't put up with that stepping over the cable bullshit, be a man and suspend.

I'm using those already. If I pull more cable slack out, then I can't place my headset anywhere without pulling on the retractors. Plus the cable can slip along them, too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My touch controllers are officially "on the way!"

I'm excited about this because while I've enjoyed touring the Obama White House, watching a couple of the Oculus "experiences" and hanging out in bigscreen (playing Hearthstone, chiefly) have been fun, I'm much more interested in getting to play with Google Earth and Robot Recall.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I made a photogrammetry scene for SteamVR Home. Apparently Photoscan hates nature, it was almost impossible to get the photos to align.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1103632152

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
When are those VR puck things coming out? That reminds me I really wanted to do a photogrammetry of my place space/basement and then combine it with tracked chairs and tables so people can actually interact with the environment

Also does anyone have any recommended guides to doing a room?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally got to sit down and play some VTOL VR: store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

Incredibly impressive and takes me back to the age of 90s arcadey flight sims. Landings are near impossible but zipping around and getting into dogfights is incredibly fun. Cute into to something more complicated like DCS World for sure.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Does Echo Arena have groups yet? Can you actually play with friends or is it still just all random matchmaking?

No it's basically still in beta. The devs underestimated the workload of getting servers/matchmaking in shape.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Paingod556 posted:

MEATS, Werstworld, Meatgrinder, Arcade Protocol and Breaching Protocol are the most 'game' levels. MEATS is an interactive shooting range including an Equilibrium simulator (Cleric mode), WW is a Westworld parody with a bunch of puzzles and pre 1900 guns, Meatgrinder is kinda like Receiver (Slenderman with guns) with the hunting for guns and the robots trying to kill you, Arcade puts you on a platform against a bunch of targets at all angles, and Breaching lets you run an IPSC course with your choice of guns.

Put ammo in your chest slot, then hover the controller over it and click the touchpad. It should turn purple. You can also stack multiple bullets (up to 10) in the slot by pressing down. Anton has a video that explains it pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukw-SbrDTEc

The Blade Runner That Gun he just added is amazing and you should try running that with the ProxMine rounds
Oh man, I just spent some time messing with the ammo stacking, quick slots, and the lever action rifle in a M.E.A.T.S shooting gallery mode. Soooo cool once you get the hang of it. The sim has a learning curve, for sure, but it's so customizable and badass once you work out a system for quickly loading and swapping guns.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you describe H3VR for what it is: "A shooting gallery with hyper detailed guns", it's a hard sell for sure. But once you get the hang of the systems, the sheer act of shooting guns and trying things out and enjoying all the goofy scenarios is just incredibly relaxing and compelling. It's easily my longest played game and it just keeps getting added to.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Songbearer posted:

If you describe H3VR for what it is: "A shooting gallery with hyper detailed guns", it's a hard sell for sure. But once you get the hang of the systems, the sheer act of shooting guns and trying things out and enjoying all the goofy scenarios is just incredibly relaxing and compelling. It's easily my longest played game and it just keeps getting added to.

Nothing beats a good day at the range, especially when you're not paying for ammo.

Do we have a VR group yet? My Oculus friends list is woefully empty, and I don't have many VR friends on Steam either.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nothing beats a good day at the range, especially when you're not paying for ammo.

Do we have a VR group yet? My Oculus friends list is woefully empty, and I don't have many VR friends on Steam either.

There's a Vr discord that gets a post once every week. Lots of people idle though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I also am in love with H3VR. I really hope the dev includes more WW2 guns than just the Luger.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's right at the top of the OP.

Cojawfee posted:

Discord
Join the Goon VR Discord and you can talk to another human being once every few days.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

moosecow333 posted:

I also am in love with H3VR. I really hope the dev includes more WW2 guns than just the Luger.

I think he's said that the next major update is going to be a big WW2 themed mode along the lines of Wurstworld, so I think you're going to get your wish.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is Echo Arena still newbie-friendly, or has it reached the inevitable stage of all games where the established playerbase is hyper good and you won't stand a chance?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

moosecow333 posted:

No Luger as yet, closest is the Ruger Mk.3 which has a Luger style grip. Last month though he added new ammo types in preparation for a bunch of WW2 guns (which he hasn't confirmed but I can guess based on the ammo) which as Johnny said, is going to be the next big update Soon(tm)

Added New Ammunition Type (for the future): 7.62x38mm (Nagant Revolver)
Added New Ammunition Type (for the future): 10.6x25mmR (Imperial German equivalent of the Webley and .44 Special S&W)
Added New Ammunition Type (for the future): 7.63x25mmMauser (C96 Mauser, already in the game)
Added New Ammunition Type (for the future): 7.92x57mmMauser (Gewehr 98 rifles, like the Kar98, G41/43, FJ-42 and MG-34 and -42 machineguns)
Added New Ammunition Type (for the future): .30 Carbine (M1 Carbine :fap: )
Added New Ammunition Type (for the future): .30-06 Springfield (M1 Garand :hawaaaafap: M1903 Springfield and M1917/1919 machineguns)

He's also already got-
.50BMG (M2 .50 cal)
7.62x54R (Mosin Nagant, DP-27, SVT-40)
9mm Luger (Luger, MP-40, Sten)
.45ACP (Thompson, Grease gun)
7.62x25mm (PPSh-41)

The only big one he's missing is .303 and .455 for the Brits main weapons, but even without them, there's a shitload of options for Anton to pursue.

You have to remember he likes doing massive updates, with Wurstworld he added about 10 new guns, while the Xmas update last year was more like 15 over the course of a month.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Is Echo Arena still newbie-friendly, or has it reached the inevitable stage of all games where the established playerbase is hyper good and you won't stand a chance?

Theres lots of newbies. The practice room is also good for new players when people go in there, and a semi-decent chance you'll get teammates who want to teach some moves.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

GlyphGryph posted:

When are those VR puck things coming out?
The Vive one came out months ago, though it seems like they're out of stock or something at the moment.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ralith posted:

The Vive one came out months ago, though it seems like they're out of stock or something at the moment.

They are developer kits for now, but decently priced at $100 with the required USB nub.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stick100 posted:

They are developer kits for now, but decently priced at $100 with the required USB nub.

Personally I don't think 1 for $100 bucks is decently priced in the slightest. They should be selling like at least a 2 for $100, if not an even better deal. Even putting aside oculus selling 2 controllers and a sensor for $100, HTC themselves sells individual controllers for what, $120 each? All the extra hardware, haptics, controls, buttons, larger battery, complexity etc of the wands is only 20 bucks more? I get that its just really a thing for developers to play around with and not for consumers, but it feels like real nickle and dime bullshit to me.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Whoa, I'm really excited for that update which might be coming out! Also, has anyone found a way to rotate your facing in H3VR? Some of the stuff happens behind or to the side where my sensors are a bit weak and I don't really have anywhere to put an additional sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Personally I don't think 1 for $100 bucks is decently priced in the slightest. They should be selling like at least a 2 for $100, if not an even better deal. Even putting aside oculus selling 2 controllers and a sensor for $100, HTC themselves sells individual controllers for what, $120 each? All the extra hardware, haptics, controls, buttons, larger battery, complexity etc of the wands is only 20 bucks more? I get that its just really a thing for developers to play around with and not for consumers, but it feels like real nickle and dime bullshit to me.

Yeah it's unfortunate for consumers that HTC is in the position where they are really only able to make profit on hardware (ignoring Viveport) and it really doesn't seem like they are interested in cutting into those profits.