Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Eh, it's almost good. It's good for Scott Buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Apoplexy posted:

People have seen the pilot. The reviews are universally negative. "Scott Buck's worst work yet" is being said.

It's only two people at SpoilerTV so far who've commented on the screener, as far as I can tell. Not that I expect the majority of reviews to be much kinder.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

How can two people have such negative charisma on screen like what am i even watching

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The hair is the best thing about that scene in much the same way that pacing was the best thing about Iron Fist.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Habibi posted:

The hair is the best thing about that scene in much the same way that pacing was the best thing about Iron Fist.

I especially enjoyed Medusa's overly emoted, unsubtle glance at the hand on her shoulder and the other dude's feigned obliviousness. It's like, "is this a cartoon"?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/04/marvels-agents-of-shield-adds-jeff-ward-as-recurring-role/

They cast an actor whose real name is Jeff Ward for a key recurring role in AOS season 5.

I expect he's really just a plant for the CW's DC branch.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
No AoS season is complete without a Ward appearance. You just never know what kind of Ward it will be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The bit when the hair grabs Ramsay is passable at least, but why the heck is it randomly twitching during the conversation? It looks like a dying hamster.

I read it as kind of a spasm or flex where like her hair is basically another set of muscles and she started posturing when Maximus got close. Its kind of an interesting play on the idea of her powers.

I'm not near as down on this as most, as usual. That was a boring clip but it whatever. Its some random 30 seconds and it did sort of put my mind at ease about Medusa's hair being passable.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

I read it as kind of a spasm or flex where like her hair is basically another set of muscles and she started posturing when Maximus got close. Its kind of an interesting play on the idea of her powers.

I'm not near as down on this as most, as usual. That was a boring clip but it whatever. Its some random 30 seconds and it did sort of put my mind at ease about Medusa's hair being passable.

The audio was so bad I thought it was being dubbed over. I have no idea why that was.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Same, some people going back wanted to hate it preemptively before there was anything released about it, so anything is confirmation bias now. I never saw her hair as looking or behaving realistically in the first place. You can do that in a comic, but on a screen it should look a little off-putting and surreal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, my big concern going in was how you make Medusa and Lockjaw look passable since both seem really hard to do. Like Guardians managed to make a raccoon and a tree work but that was a big budget and talented people. A hiatus tv show that seemed kind of half assed had me really worried.

But Lockjaw worked for me in the trailer and that hair movement is definitely "passable." Otherwise I expect Crystal's powers to look like Ghost Rider's and Black Bolt's to look like Daisy's.

I'm going in with very balanced expectations and just hoping it looks ok for TV and is a fun ride. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Should it still look like a bad wig she got at the same discount costume store she got the purple spandex from?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The bad CGI doesn't distract me (it's TV, also a pilot) so much as just the staging of it seems awkward and weird.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That video did link me to a trailer I didn't see posted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4I98yJ0iGk

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

That video did link me to a trailer I didn't see posted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4I98yJ0iGk

I do really like that teleport effect.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The actress playing Medusa doesn't look like she wants to be there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm never, ever talking poo poo about Season 1 now that Inhumans exists.

Behold,

https://youtu.be/rhVmE33VBXw

Where is Barry Convex?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rocksicles posted:

Where is Barry Convex?

Just in case anyone has forgotten:

Barry Convex posted:

The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.

Barry Convex posted:

Believe what you want, Inhumans on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair). You will probably start to see some TV->film integration, as opposed to just the reverse, beginning with AOU, but that's unlikely to ever be anything more than relatively small cameos or Easter eggs.

SHIELD is a companion series to the film canon, not an integral storytelling engine for it, and it's best to accept that.

Barry Convex posted:

The notion that Marvel Studios proper would let a mere TV series, one with which by all indications they have minimal hands-on creative involvement, be the first to take the Inhumans toys out of the box.

By that, I don't just mean that this show can't introduce Black Bolt, Medusa, etc.; I'm sure that's obvious enough to everyone. What I can't get past right now is the idea that Studios would allow SHIELD to deliver some non-trivial modicum of exposition about (some combination of) Inhuman society, their quasi-cosmic origins, or Terrigenesis - and with the city as the main focus of the final episodes of the year, surely some modicum of exposition about its origins and purpose is necessary. Not before those crucial backstory elements are set up in a film with a much, much bigger budget in which Feige et al. actually have their hands, anyway.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664211&userid=83671&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

He went on like this for several months. So drat smug and condescending. So drat wrong. :allears:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well he's partly right. Marvel Studios have no interest in Inhumans at all, that's why they made their first appearance in AoS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

quote:

The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.
Seems entirely correct to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LividLiquid posted:

Seems entirely correct to me.

Inhumans debuted on AoS long before the film was scuttled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness I think there's a reasonable distinction between Quake and Lash and the Inhuman Royals.

But obviously the point is all the weirdness in the Royals film/delay/tv stuff. Which seems so odd since MCU hasn't seemed to have those kinds of problems or changes with much else. The only things I can think of are changing actors with the Hulk and Rhodey, Portman and Paltrow leaving because they were being underused, and the uncertainty about what the fourth Avengers film is called.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

Where is Barry Convex?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664211&userid=83671&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

He went on like this for several months. So drat smug and condescending. So drat wrong. :allears:

I stiil don't know if S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone! :ohdear:

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness I think there's a reasonable distinction between Quake and Lash and the Inhuman Royals.

But obviously the point is all the weirdness in the Royals film/delay/tv stuff. Which seems so odd since MCU hasn't seemed to have those kinds of problems or changes with much else. The only things I can think of are changing actors with the Hulk and Rhodey, Portman and Paltrow leaving because they were being underused, and the uncertainty about what the fourth Avengers film is called.

The fourth Avengers movie title is apparently a spoiler for the third. They know what it is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My biggest issue with the trailers for Inhumans is Atillan looking like a series of sparsely-decorated rooms and corridors.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I'm honest my biggest problem is coming to terms that I've been mispronouncing Attilan all along.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 7, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The fourth Avengers movie title is apparently a spoiler for the third. They know what it is.

They called the fourth Avengers film The Avengers Won.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

They called the fourth Avengers film The Avengers Won.

What a clever reference. Perhaps next you will start taking about cookbooks and artisanal soda.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lol, you're digging that up?

I admit I made an rear end of myself, but I assumed that (a) the show would never, ever be relevant to the film MCU, and that (b) introducing the Inhumans meant that the show would have to become relevant to the film MCU.

One of those assumptions was clearly correct, at least! The other, not so much.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 7, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tweets from the Inhumans press conference.

https://twitter.com/midwestspitfire/status/894311603335708672

https://twitter.com/KSiteTV/status/894436943529877504

https://twitter.com/BastardMachine/status/894315680152993792

https://twitter.com/Deggans/status/894321167456251905

https://twitter.com/TheFienPrint/status/894311581823025154

https://twitter.com/elgray/status/894312874113343488

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/894315330566111232

https://twitter.com/jasonlynch/status/894316181187739649

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao I love all of this

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I'm a fan of this set-up and follow-through:

quote:

I am utterly baffled that there’s no answer from the head of Marvel TV about what this big “Inhumans” IMAX thing will cost VIEWERS.

quote:

About 80 minutes

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So which is gonna be worse, Iron Fist or Inhumans?

Man, I hope it's Inhumans so people will shut their face holes about Iron Fist, which is okay but not great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I hope Inhumans is better so you'll have to continue saltily defending Iron Fist every single time it gets brought up in every single thread, and even sometimes when it doesn't.

(But, to be realistic, Inhumans will prob be worse)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I hope there is some big early season crossover event that sends Danny through a dimensional portal to the Inhumans to be that smarmy dick younger brother and what's his face Ramsay Bolton through to be Iron Fist.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just feel bad that people will use this to smugly say how bad the Inhumans are and that they are nothing but knockoff X-men that Marvel tried to use to kill the X-men comics despite all facts showing otherwise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Marvel movie division guy allegedly said that Inhumans is just another part of Ike Perlmutter's proxy war against Fox and the entire world.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 8, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

I hope Inhumans is better so you'll have to continue saltily defending Iron Fist every single time it gets brought up in every single thread, and even sometimes when it doesn't.

(But, to be realistic, Inhumans will prob be worse)

You can always stop following me around and commenting on my posts. :)

\/\/\/ lol okay.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 8, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lol this is the first time I ever did. I just think it's funny. Someone has to pick the Iron Fist hill to die on and I guess it might as well be you.

achillesforever6 posted:

I just feel bad that people will use this to smugly say how bad the Inhumans are and that they are nothing but knockoff X-men that Marvel tried to use to kill the X-men comics despite all facts showing otherwise.
Okay, now I am probably what some in some circles may in some contexts deem "A Hater (tm)," but I think there's also something to be said for the possibility that the Inhumans source material just does not lend itself very well to adaptation.

Right off the bat...what's the conflict? What are they fighting for or against? "An evil prince that usurps the throne from its rightful king"...that sounds like the plotline to Thor. Also sound like what the plot of Aquaman will be. In fact, it also seems like Black Panther is gonna take a couple cues from that.

Who's the protagonist, the viewpoint character through which we learn and experience this storyline? Is it Black Bolt, the guy who can't speak but is also too thick to learn sign language? Is it Medusa? Is it Crystal?

Like, I think it's clear that these showrunners are just doing a bad execution of this material, but I'd also argue that the source material doesn't make it easy for them at all. And I mean...if the Inhumans were some sort of rich goldmine of creative potential, don't you think Feige and his crew would be chomping at the bits to adapt this property instead of backburnering it for years and years before finally being like "Ehh yeah who cares, just shuffle this one off to the TV ghetto"?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope this means AoS has better chances at renewal, and that the Inhuman royals can get a good story on AoS in season 6.

• Locked thread