Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

exploded mummy posted:

this is his Oscar winning performance

This is Colin Firth's Oscar winning performance.

What exactly is your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WampaLord posted:

Flipping the argument on its head, how many non-establishment candidates won a primary? Just Trump?

Goldwater
Reagan
Clinton
Obama
Trump
McGovern
Carter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

A terrorist attack happens in America and this thread and Trump have the same reaction because it didn't cause enough damage to the right kind of people.

If a white church had been targeted this thread would be circlejerking about if Trump will finally ban all minorities or not.

Post some stuff about it, I did my patriotic duty and posted some stuff about Pence's plot to Usurp the Empire of America title. :colbert:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Goldwater
Reagan
Clinton
Obama
Trump
McGovern
Carter

Reagan won the 1980 primary when he was already the establishment candidate; almost successfully primarying Ford in '76 saw to that.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Companies use it a lot too.

I think that agreeing to arbitrate an existing dispute is ok but that contractual requirements to use arbitration for all potential future disputes should be illegal.

People aren't going to have any more luck litigating small claims in court than they are in arbitration

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's funny how the Democratic Speaker/Maj-Leader told Nixon they would only accept Ford as VP, choosing the next Republican President for themselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

Reagan won the 1980 primary when he was already the establishment candidate; almost successfully primarying Ford in '76 saw to that.

Reagan was not the establishment candidate in 1980.

It was George H.W. Bush.

Reagan was the favorite to win, ended up crushing Bush, and people got on board, but the establishment was very tepid on Reagan.

Bush was literally the chairman of the RNC when he ran.

After Bush won Iowa, people were calling the polls all wrong and that Reagan was a flash in the pan.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Sneakster posted:

And, Hominem presents,

You're a dick.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Flipping the argument on its head, how many non-establishment candidates won a primary? Just Trump?
How many have been entertainment celebrities with billions of dollars worth of free constant coverage running as a Republican making fun of his competition being the product of decades worth of escalating imbecility to pander to people even dumber than Bush voters?

GWBBQ posted:

Don't forget that he was also Tough On Crime and proved it by refusing to commute a death sentence to life in prison for a man who had a third of his brain removed, leaving him with the mental capacity of a small child.
Don't forget destroying AFDC, and ramping up the drug war, and three strikes,and attempting to cut social security while subsidizing property owners to pander to southern racism and white flight. NOT killing minorities and crushing the poor to pander to the bourgeois would have actually been full communism. If he had the temerity to raise taxes it would have made Pol Pot look like Tony Benn.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Carter really hosed us up:
blocked single payer
prevented guaranteed jobs from passing
But what about Billy beer?

KickerOfMice posted:

You're a dick.
?? What? MIT/Pence/Mutant/Abortion/Compliment? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I don't think anything in that post was inflammatory? Not trying to be a dick, could you specify which part?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sneakster posted:

How many have been entertainment celebrities with billions of dollars worth of free constant coverage running as a Republican making fun of his competition being the product of decades worth of escalating imbecility to pander to people even dumber than Bush voters?

Don't forget destroying AFDC, and ramping up the drug war, and three strikes,and attempting to cut social security while subsidizing property owners to pander to southern racism and white flight. NOT killing minorities and crushing the poor to pander to the bourgeois would have actually been full communism. If he had the temerity to raise taxes it would have made Pol Pot look like Tony Benn.

But what about Billy beer?

?? What? MIT/Pence/Mutant/Abortion/Compliment? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I don't think anything in that post was inflammatory? Not trying to be a dick, could you specify which part?

e- Not that post, you're just a dick.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 7, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

This is Colin Firth's Oscar winning performance.

What exactly is your point?

I like Leaving Las Vegas and that scene in particular

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Auto workers at Nissan overwhelmingly voted to reject forming a union.

64% No
33% Yes

This kills the last chance for large scale private sector unionization.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

64% No
33% Yes

Time for Plan B.

Unions as a religion.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The King's Speech was a lame movie

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

64% No
33% Yes

The major reason why people don't like unions is decades (century+) of smearing by Republicans (conservatives).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

64% No
33% Yes

Last time a checked the south wasn't fond of the union.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

64% No
33% Yes

What the gently caress why

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

twice burned ice posted:

Decades of anti-union propaganda.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twice burned ice posted:

https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/893567766439108608

Unions can't solve racism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

64% No
33% Yes

Yeah the propoganda was pretty strong on that plus the Republicans have been screaming about how bad Unions are forever.

It's just mindboggling.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EwokEntourage posted:

People aren't going to have any more luck litigating small claims in court than they are in arbitration

Sure, but the arbitration clauses also can be used to tack on special stuff like class action waivers and that is the real reason why companies love arbitration.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Last time a checked the south wasn't fond of the union.

I live in the south and am in a union.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sry, didn't mean to respond to an a lot of Ad hominem with one. But, dude,:chillpill:. Didn't I tell you to drink chamomile tea? Anger leads to...

e- again not from just that post. I was catching up.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 7, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the propoganda was pretty strong on that plus the Republicans have been screaming about how bad Unions are forever.

It's just mindboggling.

Man, if only there was an opposition party willing to run as much pro union propaganda as there is anti.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/894367750310682624

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The south has an irrational distrust of unions going back to the 40's.

A lot of mills and factories unionized and the ownership fired them and kicked people out of their homes in the company town. The police enforced the firings, a lot of folks got shot, while the unions themselves weren't equipped to help everyone.

And now they still hate unions but no one knows why anymore. It's just rolled up into their hatred for liberals.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

KickerOfMice posted:

Sry, didn't mean to respond to an Ad hominem with one. But, dude,:chillpill:. Didn't I tell you to drink chamomile tea? Anger leads to...
? Not an anger thing. Detached disappointment if anything. Its all good.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Mustached Demon posted:

The major reason why people don't like unions is decades (century+) of smearing by Republicans (conservatives).
Some companies make new hires watch videos during orientation that are basically DARE type "Just Say No" scare propaganda, except instead of drugs, it's unions. If you hear someone talking about unionizing, you're supposed to shun that person, and let someone in management know. Otherwise that troublemaker may cost everyone their jobs... and you need your job, don't you?

I remember sitting through one about 20 years ago when I got a part-time job at Kmart in my teens. I've seen a similar video from Target out there.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 7, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't think unions are the solution in 2017. We'd be better off if we'd been sufficiently unionized over the last 30 years, of course, and greater unionization couldn't hurt. But, like, I think we really just need a UBI because who knows how much longer work is even going to be a thing. If I was at that factory I'd have voted to unionize but is it the place to put the energy now?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My father talked about how he worked at company called Bakers Manufacturer in Louisiana and how they had a big Union fight in the late 60s/ 70s he said their were multiple fights etc.. and he ended up testifying in court regarding it. People were actually killed.

I've actually tried to research the subject but really came up with nothing.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 7, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Robot Hobo posted:

Some companies make new hires watch videos during orientation that are basically DARE type "Just Say No" scare propaganda, except instead of drugs, it's unions. If you hear someone talking about unionizing, you're supposed to shun that person, and let someone in management know. Otherwise that troublemaker May cost everyone their jobs... and you need your job, don't you?

I remember sitting through one about 20 years ago when I got a part-time job at Kmart in my teens. I've seen a similar video from Target out there.

I think the ironic thing is how chambers of commerce are now unions for undermining the government.

Seriously try sitting in on one of those.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
People were killed in the fights that brought about unions. Mostly because the companies hired cops/gangs to beat/kill those trying to unionize.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Is this what happens when you throw a bunch of buzzwords into a dryer and just hope?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, a car maker moved back to Canada because training teaching Mericans how to read was too costly.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

KickerOfMice posted:

Is this what happens when you throw a bunch of buzzwords into a dryer and just hope?

If fake news reports it Mr. President doesn't that make it wrong?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

If fake news reports it Mr. President doesn't that make it wrong?

Trump posted:

"& jobs,border &"

Is my favorite.

In a thermonuclear holocaust, I'll be D&D's therapist. Just sayin

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sure, but the arbitration clauses also can be used to tack on special stuff like class action waivers and that is the real reason why companies love arbitration.

Those clauses can be included either way. Even without it class action doesn't get you much unless it's something big like a car emission scandal. Congrats, the class action settled! The attorneys get 1 mil in attorneys fees and you get a $10 coupon.

Arbitration is cheaper and quicker then courts, that's why companies like it. People talk about consumers getting screwed because the companies have a relationship with the arbitration companies as if people wouldn't get screwed by procedural rules in court. If the claim isn't worth much, like a phone bill, you're screwed either way

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/894056345854394369

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can't wait till it leaks out that, unlike other presidents who's vacations were basically work with a different view, Trump pouted and had tantrums whenever someone tries to get him to do anything the next two weeks because he thinks presidents actually get to not work while on a vacation like he does on the weekends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

We can't be sure if this bombing of a Mosque was a hate crime or terrorism because reasons:

quote:

In a joint press conference between the FBI, ATF and Bloomington Police Department Saturday afternoon, FBI Special Agent Rick Thornton said an “improvised explosive device” was responsible for the explosion, but wouldn’t yet characterize the incident as a hate crime or act of terrorism.

Just an IED attack in Minneapolis, no biggie.

• Locked thread