Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

My version of the popular Reasonable Marines:

I can see several things I could improve, thin down or neaten up, but I have reached the limit amount of time I'm willing to spend on a troop I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

What color basing should I use for this guy? His base has some tombstones and zombie hands coming up out of the ground.

My choices are either Agrellan Badlands (which is a tan) or Astrogranite dry brushed with Longbeard Grey.

Astrogranate, cold tones would suit the graveyard scene better and contrast the warmness of the Orc.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Yeast posted:

Any can of spray can frost if the humidity is poo poo, the can's not shaken properly, it's too far from the model and dries in the air, etc.

If you absolutely have to use a rattle can, I'd highly suggest putting the can in a container of hot water for 5mins before use, shake well, and don't spray too far away from the model.

Thank you for the insight. The humidity is miraculously low at 31% today, so at least I have that going for me. Would hitting the mini with a hair dryer long enough to warm it make a difference in line with heating the can before spraying?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My first time painting a Spess Muhreen and first time painting a mostly black model.

I need to get a cleaner with my lines, but overall I'm happy.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

You should be! Black isn't easy to paint well, it made me change from Raven Guard to Raptors because I was spending too much time per model. Nice templar my man

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's what I landed on. My first try doing OSL. I think it turned out okay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I have very poor lighting. What should I do to take better pictures?

I tried rigging a ghetto lighting box, it looks like hell but its better than before.

I added more weathering effects to my BMP.

So besides taking better pictures, what do I need to do on this guy.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Cleaned up my Rhoven and Sevvy, painted two more warjacks (I like the red I got on the Crusader even if the menofix is a little sloppy), slapped out my Vassals and Mechaniks (fatty mechanik on the right was gesso primed after I ran out of spray, went thinner on other models I primed after that one), and Feora and Kreoss both were pre-painted when I got them in a standard white/red/black/gold setup, and I decided to just use them as paint-by-numbers by overpainting their original colors with something different and see how it worked. Grave-shroud Kreoss may need a re-do to fit better with my Exemplar color scheme, but I'm kinda digging the maroon and yellow Feora setup, which I may adapt for Flameguard/Daughter units' schemes.

Album linked here because I cannot make my phone take smaller-sized pictures for some inexplicable reason

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floppychop posted:

My first time painting a Spess Muhreen and first time painting a mostly black model.

I need to get a cleaner with my lines, but overall I'm happy.

Your lines seem pretty drat clean to me, dude. Good job!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dids a thing!

I feel like i'm getting better at trying to do non-metallic gold, though, i could be wrong.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This is really really good. Nice work!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zuul the Cat posted:

Owns. Now I want this color scheme for some of my samurai. that's a whole lotta nice purple going on thee

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like your shading of the flesh and armour. Looks like cell-shading.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Got this big stompy dude ready for a tourney this weekend, and he did great! Here's my Venerable Dreadnought:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ok, is there a secret to using this stuff:

Because the first time I used it, I ended up with some very bumpy surfaces that I was able to work around. I figured that I hadn't given the can a good enough shake and/or was too close to the pieces being primed. This morning, I shook the absolute poo poo out of the can and gave myself more distance from the minis but I ended up with this bullshit:

I've got three figures that look like that, utterly unusable. They're all metal at least so I can toss them in some strong stuff and try again, other than the one that's based in the above picture which I guess I'll have to just scrape the rim back to smoothness, but this is really loving frustrating. Did I buy the wrong stuff to begin with or am I just using it completely wrong?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
looks like truckbed liner

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Wouldn't being further away actually make the problem worse, if the primer spray has more time to dry mid-air?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Sandable primer is thicker, because it's specifically designed to be sanded down. Generally you want to prime with quick, light dustings, 12-18 inches away.

The only thing you did wrong was buy a thick primer. :(

I saw a guy at my flgs use tan colored texture spray for a "desert theme" on his Tau. Literally added more paint than there was plastic in the base. :pwn:

Edit: Also, rustoleum seems to be way thicker than any of the other sprays I've used. I'd either go with basic krylon, or an off brand basic primer. Anything that "bonds to plastic", "prevents rust", or has "added coverage" will be like dunking your minis in pancake batter.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If you're looking for an alternative, Tamiya Fine Surface Primer is arguably the gold standard for non-gaming models, and should work fine for gaming too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Airbrush primer, fo' real.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

rantmo posted:

Ok, is there a secret to using this stuff:

Because the first time I used it, I ended up with some very bumpy surfaces that I was able to work around. I figured that I hadn't given the can a good enough shake and/or was too close to the pieces being primed. This morning, I shook the absolute poo poo out of the can and gave myself more distance from the minis but I ended up with this bullshit:

I've got three figures that look like that, utterly unusable. They're all metal at least so I can toss them in some strong stuff and try again, other than the one that's based in the above picture which I guess I'll have to just scrape the rim back to smoothness, but this is really loving frustrating. Did I buy the wrong stuff to begin with or am I just using it completely wrong?

Yeah, you bought the wrong stuff. Sandable primer is textured and has some gap-filling properties so naturally it's terrible for minis. I've made the same mistake.

Rustoleum makes like 10 different varieties of primer, rather than trying to find the right one I'd recommend just using Krylon. Should be easy to find if you're in the US.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've used dupli-color sandable primer exclusively for nearly a decade and never had anything like that happen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well thanks everyone for the info, I think I'll actually be able to paint the front of that model without any problem as it looks fine, I think I'll try rub or scrape the worst bits of the back off and use a brush-on primer to recover. I've got a good grey primer, Mr. Primer Surface 1000, but I've had poo poo luck with black primer. Plus I live in Chicago and spray paint is illegal here and for some stupid loving reason that includes primer.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why the gently caress is spray paint illegal in chicago? is it because those loving punks tagging everything :argh:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I should clarify, it's legal to possess and own spray paint in Chicago, it's illegal to sell it. Because of those kids with their graffiti. Ban's been in place since '92 and actually was upheld by the Supreme Court because why not? Apparently one of our Aldermen tried to relax the law last year to allow the sale to people 18 and over but I guess nothing came of it since I only just now heard about the attempt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Can you order it online and get it delivered or is even that a no-go?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you order it online and get it delivered or is even that a no-go?

That's how I get all my spray primer, the one suburban hobby shop that sells spray primer is basically inaccessible without a car.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've used dupli-color sandable primer exclusively for nearly a decade and never had anything like that happen.

Yeah same. I remember liking P3's stuff because it was super fine and then seeing somebody somewhere say that the Dupli-color sandable was the same poo poo, and it sure seems like it. It's very smooth and light, so I wouldn't say all sandable primers are inherently unsuitable.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

rantmo posted:

I should clarify, it's legal to possess and own spray paint in Chicago, it's illegal to sell it. Because of those kids with their graffiti. Ban's been in place since '92 and actually was upheld by the Supreme Court because why not? Apparently one of our Aldermen tried to relax the law last year to allow the sale to people 18 and over but I guess nothing came of it since I only just now heard about the attempt.

what the poo poo

one more reason to say "gently caress chicago". First "pizza" ( and I use the term loosely) that's a drowning risk if you pass out on it, now this. :tizzy:

don't mind me, just drunnkposting as gently caress

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
also the horrific murder rate

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rantmo posted:

That's how I get all my spray primer, the one suburban hobby shop that sells spray primer is basically inaccessible without a car.

Just get some proper GW primer or at least some Tamiya stuff from amazon then.

Lots of paints out there you can save money on, spray primer is where you don't wanna go cheap IMO.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
except theres plenty of spray primers out there that are just as good if not better than the overpriced gw sprays

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Unless it's changed, GW doesn't even make primer. Their sprays are all regular paint.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Which are fine as primer.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Must just be the Rustoleum sandable primer then.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Just get some proper GW primer or at least some Tamiya stuff from amazon then.

Lots of paints out there you can save money on, spray primer is where you don't wanna go cheap IMO.

Well I'm not going to give GW money for primer, I don't even like giving them money for washes (but I do because dammit those are good washes) and it's not about trying to be cheap on primer, it's about not having found a good black primer combined with not being able to easily try a variety of it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Before I made the switch to airbrush I had good luck with P3 primers.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Army Painter has decent primer, and as a bonus (and their main primer schtick), their colored primers are identical in color to their corresponding paints, so you can prime and basecoat in one swoop

Speaking of priming, I bought a bottle of gesso to try out on a few models after my last can of spray ran out (and I do a lot of evening painting and the humidity is hell right now) and I don't know if I like it? Even if I thin it and don't go turbo gloppy, it still feels like a chunkier base on the models, and it seems like it holds the paint differently.

see the mechanik on the right vs the one on the left for a comparison

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

rantmo posted:

I don't even like giving them money for washes (but I do because dammit those are good washes)

I discovered Army Painter washes and haven't looked back.