Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Like I said previously, just because something spent a long time in development doesn't mean it was being actively worked on for that entire period. There have been movies that have been "in development" for multiple decades because they keep having trouble finding writers, directors, actors, etc. interested in working on the project. I've had some woodworking projects "in development" for over a year because I put in a few days of work, put them in the corner, and am waiting until I feel like coming back to them.

Likewise, our Awful Emblem project has been "in development" for 4 years now but if you only include the time where we're actively working on it it's more like 1 1/2 years.

Probably won't stop us from touting it as "The product of X years of development!" if we ever finish it though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FPzero posted:

Likewise, our Awful Emblem project has been "in development" for 4 years now but if you only include the time where we're actively working on it it's more like 1 1/2 years.

Probably won't stop us from touting it as "The product of X years of development!" if we ever finish it though. :v:

Awful Fantasy 3 was in development for like 5 years by that rubric, wasn't it? I vaguely remember the newest version being released in 2006.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

CascadeBeta posted:

I just finished catching up on this LP. Holy moly, Uranium is... Not great.

It's stunning how little they use the idea of nuclear pokemon/radiation gimmick that the entire game is based on. It's like their design doc (okay they probably didn't have a design doc) started with NUCLEAR POKEMON: THEY'RE BLACK AND GREEN. THEY'RE SUPER EFFECTIVE VS EVERYTHING AND WEAK TO EVERYTHING.

And that's IT. For a game that's so jealous of Sun and Moon, they really dropped the ball on doing their own version of Alola mons. It's just so low effort and poorly concieved, which is Uranium in a nutshell, I guess.

Uranium would be better if it either ditched the nuclear Pokemon junk and focused on being a regular Pokemon game, or ditching the usual formula completely and focusing on what it did different. No one cares about or remembers any of the gym leaders or the rival outside of maybe Sheldon and his backhoe dragon, but stuff like Anthell and the boss fight it had to offer, the nuclear power plant dungeons, and CURIE are actually kind of memorable and leave a pretty lasting impression.

Granted, that impression is "why is this in a Pokemon game", but even that is still a bit better than the complete mediocrity that the rest of the game has to offer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I remember Tino and his skirt.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Well, I'm just an idiot then. :doh:

It's easy with bad fangames to attribute poo poo fans say about it as the creators behavior.

FPzero posted:

I look forward to having the first Fire Emblem game I play/finish be a awful romhack.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Golden Goat posted:

I look forward to having the first Fire Emblem game I play/finish be a awful romhack.

I've entertained the idea of a Shadow Dragon LP, one like Tenacrane's that embraces the janky death march elements.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

alcharagia posted:

I remember Tino and his skirt.
I kept forgetting, so I was glad they kept reminding my every thirty seconds

Good for you, Uranium, helping those of us with short attention spans

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I remember the seventh Gym Leader's awful sprites. Just not his name...

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Get Lucky is a song by Daft Punk off of their most recent album. It was kind of the song of the summer of 2013 and I'm surprised you didn't catch it.

There is a very simple reason for why I didn't: I don't listen to the radio. Like, ever. Or, really, have much interaction at all with most music scenes. I probably couldn't identify most popular songs/bands by listening.

Probably a personal problem, and I'm sure it's made me miss out on some good stuff, but I went to grade school in the '90s, so I was inundated with Backstreet Boys/NSYNC/Brittany Spears/etc. and just got so sick of it that I never went back.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I've entertained the idea of a Shadow Dragon LP, one like Tenacrane's that embraces the janky death march elements.

Actually, LordHippoMan just recently finished an LP of Shadow Dragon that contains just such a death march, and it's freshly archived.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Shadow Dragon is terrible because it encourages you to kill characters. What kind of monster plays FE without everyone surviving? :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

krisslanza posted:

Shadow Dragon is terrible because it encourages you to kill characters. What kind of monster plays FE without everyone surviving? :colbert:

Counterargument: What kind of monster lets Malakov live?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: What kind of monster lets Malakov live?

makalov is actually a really solid unit & a cool guy & my friend

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah!!!

Makalov is cute and my friend.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Did he mean matthis? That statement works for matthis

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
You're all wrong, every permutation of recruiting or killing characters is correct and good and a faithful playthrough of an excellent game.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Especially in light of the discussion of Awful Emblem: are there or have there ever been any goon-made Pokemon fan games?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually, LordHippoMan just recently finished an LP of Shadow Dragon that contains just such a death march, and it's freshly archived.

Oh hey, another series I could catch up to. Cheers for linking that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally, the Pokemon Sage people released the 2nd demo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Incidentally, the Pokemon Sage people released the 2nd demo.

yeah, i was kinda surprised by it. had meant to link it but forgot to.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Demo

quote:

This Demo Features:

A Pokédex containing 117 of Sage's 229 Pokémon
6 Cities and Towns
3 Urobos League Gyms
The main plot of Sage and a variety of optional side quests
Following Pokémon
A feature-complete slice of Sage lasting approximately 10 hours

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
One of the original Uranium developers, Involuntary Twitch, started an AMA on the Uranium subreddit about 11 hours ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonuranium/comments/6ryq5c/im_involuntary_twitch_one_of_the_original/

I'm not sure how well more critical questions would be received (probably poorly), but maybe if they're phrased nicely, he would have good insight to share about some of Uranium's questionable choices.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

[Telard is] a combination of Terra + Lizard. But I can see why it doesn't sound that good to you. It's one of those names that stuck around since the early days when we weren't very good at naming things, like Chyinmunk and Tricwe and Gararewl. We were too sentimental to change it (and also it's everywhere in the game's code, so changing it would be a hassle).
Now I'm no programmer, but wouldn't it be easier to put the name in the code once and reference that instead of putting it in the code a bazillion times?

quote:

The quiz was inspired by Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. It's one of the ways we made the intro of the game feel different from the traditional Pokemon game... and also, it's a way to make it so that Theo always gets the starter with the type disadvantage to yours. People complained it made it harder to get the starter they wanted, so that's why we color-coded the answers and I added the Aide NPC that explains which answers to pick in order to get the starter you want.
At least that explains why the quiz is so pointless. Too hard, so just color code it and defeat the purpose. :v:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Now I'm no programmer, but wouldn't it be easier to put the name in the code once and reference that instead of putting it in the code a bazillion times?

The safe thing to do is assign it both an internal ID and a name that the player will see, even if you just make them the exact same thing. Use the ID throughout your code, but look up the name whenever you need to display it. Then if you decide the name is terrible, you can change it, but the internal ID stays the same so stuff doesn't break.

It's not remotely surprising that Uranium didn't do this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look up magic numbers

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Look up magic numbers

The kinds of people that wrote Uranium are the kinds that would name a constant SEVEN instead of DAYS_IN_WEEK.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
But, but...

Uranium does have a separation of internal IDs and fancy names! How the hell is any of that poo poo a problem? :psyduck:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Because in the direct text they were too lazy to go /v[pokemonname].

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm not a programmer, so a lot of this is flying over my head. You're saying there's a way to have the game call a variable that says [Pokemon#blahblah] and then set #blahblah to whatever name. So, if you wanted to change what #blahblah was, all you'd have to do is change it once, and every time that Pokemon was called in the code, it would use the new name? And the Uranium guys didn't do that? :psyduck:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not a programmer, so a lot of this is flying over my head. You're saying there's a way to have the game call a variable that says [Pokemon#blahblah] and then set #blahblah to whatever name. So, if you wanted to change what #blahblah was, all you'd have to do is change it once, and every time that Pokemon was called in the code, it would use the new name? And the Uranium guys didn't do that? :psyduck:

Basically correct. And the Uranium guys said "Oh we're nostalgic for this shitass name. Also we can't do that anyways."

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Silver Falcon posted:

You don't even need to do anything fancy for it. This is a default feature in pretty much every version of RPG Maker I can think of. :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Keep in mind this is the same technique used for things like adding the player's name to dialogue or filling in "[Pokemon] used [attack]". It's a basic tool for making the game interactive.

(It's also the foundation for the Missingno bug in Red and Blue.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The comment that changing it because it was all over the game's code makes no sense whatsoever. Find and Replace All has been a feature in even the most basic text editors for over a decade.
They're really trying to blame their really poo poo taste in names on technical limitations that don't exist.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Solumin posted:

(It's also the foundation for the Missingno bug in Red and Blue.)

So what you're saying is that Uranium can't even break itself in half as well as the proper Pokemon games. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rainuwastaken posted:

So what you're saying is that Uranium can't even break itself in half as well as the proper Pokemon games. :v:

Memory was at a premium on the Pokemon cart because it was so crammed full of everything in that game. So when the Old Man teaches you how to catch a pokemon, it copies your name into the region encounter table, and changes the name register to "Old Man", when it's done it copies the region encounter table back into the Name Register.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The basic principle (in an object-oriented sense, anyway) is that you'd have a table or dictionary where each Pokémon has a unique ID, and then you'd pull the Pokemon "object" from that dictionary. So your team is basically a list full of instances of those Pokemon which have their moves and held items, which would be referred to in the same way. Encounter tables are just the IDs and assigned chances to get that Pokémon, presumably with a bit of randomisation behind it.

The fact that the programmers of Uranium are too incompetent or lazy to do this is astounding, and I'm a lovely programmer. :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Memory was at a premium on the Pokemon cart because it was so crammed full of everything in that game. So when the Old Man teaches you how to catch a pokemon, it copies your name into the region encounter table, and changes the name register to "Old Man", when it's done it copies the region encounter table back into the Name Register.

And of course this event happened inside a town, so the theory was that it was OK to just treat the region encounter table as temporary free space since there were no random encounters in the area and as soon as you crossed the border into a new route it would reload the encounter table with the proper data.

The problem is, the encounter table doesn't get reset when you Fly to another city (because again, it's not expected that it would be used inside a city) and there happens to be a different city that accidentally had some tiles with random encounters available. So a weird but theoretically harmless space saving trick grows into a huge glitch due to a couple of other oversights.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The reason those water tiles don't have an encounter table is also pretty wild. See, in pokemon RBY tiles are divided into four sub-tiles. You can see this pretty easily if you look closely. This image shows a bit of a grass tile and you can clearly see it's three grass sub-tiles and one flower sub-tile (in the lower right):

In Japanese Red/Green, the game used the lower-left sub-tile to determine the encounter type of the whole tile, so for instance if a tile was water on the right half and land on the left half, you'd get a land encounter. The edge of Cinnabar island is water on the right half and town on the left half, and town has no encounters, so that strip would never have any encounters in Japanese RG. This apparently caused some issues with tiles getting the wrong encounters, so for the international versions (plus I think Japanese Blue/Yellow) they switched it to checking the lower right sub-tile, which mostly worked...except on the east coast of Cinnabar island, which would suddenly have water encounters while still being in a town and thus not having a defined encounter table.

The sub-tile shenanigans also mean that the tile in the image above will never ever have an encounter, because the lower right sub-tile is a flower, and flowers don't have an encounter table.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That mismatches with what I remember for the Cinnabar layout. I'm pretty sure the shore tiles have two shores tiles on the left half, two water tiles on the right half, and the 'shore towards land on the left' tile accidentally happens to have a Grass encounter type instead of a Water encounter type. Since the Route it's on has no Grass encounters, it doesn't overwrite the Grass encounter table, but still triggers Grass encounters on the shore tiles.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way I understand it, it concludes that since the lower right sub-tile is water, it needs to look up the water encounter. But since Cinnabar island doesn't have a water encounter table, it just uses whatever junk is in the encounter table already (which is why you can get safari encounters, or junk if you just did old man).

I could have the details wrong though. The glitch definitely has to do with sub-tiles and the fact that those tiles are half water and half land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Okay, according to this we're both half right. The big tile is two shore left and two water right, the game uses the bottom right subtile to determine if an encounter should happen (water: yes) but the tile the trainer is on to determine the encounter type. The shore tile does not count as water, so it loads a 'regular' encounter, which is not defined on Route 20. Japanese RBY does indeed use the bottom left tile to determine if an encounter should happen instead, for some reason, so the glitch doesn't happen there.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 7, 2017

• Locked thread