Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Outrail posted:

I'd take them but drat my medium sized body.

How do you guys transport cooking oil/pesto etc in your packs? Everything ends up leaking. Anyone tried small coke/PET bottles?

Plastic bottles in the style of peanut butter jars. I used Skippy peanut butter jars that I kept to keep oil and sauces when camping. The trick is to double bag it in a ziploc bag. I learned this from a navy buddy who brings those clorox wet wipes double ziploc bagged. Doesn't lose moisture or leak. Using plastic means it's lightweight. A jar is easy to scoop and put stuff into with its wide opening. And once you're done easy cheap to throw away, in a proper bin or recycling place of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, I guess peanut butter has that oil, but they're kinda designed to be upright. I can see peanut butter jars leaking when they get squeezed, or you gain/lose enough altitude that there's pressure pushing it out.

The issue with Ziplocs is they're not water proof like that. Not when you're keeping things in. I'm looking for a problem free solution.

I'm going to try the smallest coke bottle I can find and report back.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I guess peanut butter has that oil, but they're kinda designed to be upright. I can see peanut butter jars leaking when they get squeezed, or you gain/lose enough altitude that there's pressure pushing it out.

The issue with Ziplocs is they're not water proof like that. Not when you're keeping things in. I'm looking for a problem free solution.

I'm going to try the smallest coke bottle I can find and report back.

I've had good luck traveling with these Nalgene bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076RC0S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Do they work with cooking oil though? I'm being pedantic because one disaster was enough.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Find the jars they use to ship medical samples around in? I bet they are as leak-proof as you can get.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bongwizzard posted:

Find the jars they use to ship medical samples around in? I bet they are as leak-proof as you can get.

Brilliant. Perfect. And I can wierd the gently caress out of fellow campers.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

qirex posted:

Vivo Barefoot is based in the UK, I don't go for that kind of shoe but they'll probably be easier to try out where you are.

A bit late, but a heads up on VB:

1. Quality is pretty ehhh for the price. You can get lucky/unlucky with your pair.

2. They are one of the rare brands that make proper wide toeboxes. It makes the shoes look goofy as poo poo, but super comfy. Or in my case, one of the rare brands I can fit into.

On that topic, can anyone recommend other proper wide shoes for day walks?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Brilliant. Perfect. And I can wierd the gently caress out of fellow campers.

Please post what you find. A couple years ago I was on a similar quest for a small container to hold a type of particularly foul smelling artificial lure. I didn't think of piss sample jars then, but none of the camping/outdoors marketed ones I tried worked well.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ziplock the liquid and then put it in a thermos?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Outrail posted:

Do they work with cooking oil though? I'm being pedantic because one disaster was enough.

I've only used them for sunscreen, shampoo and other toiletries. Maybe you could find a rubber washer the size of the lid at home depot/lowes that could go in between the lid and the bottle? I feel like that would get you as close to 100% sealed as you could. I like the nalgene bottles because they are super tough and pretty cheap.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2017

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I bought some waterproof bags from Lomo that I use for transporting liquids in luggage. They've usually got a roll top type sealing thing and are super light in various sizes. I imagine something like that would be much safer than a zip loc.

Also I actually bought a pair of the Vivo eco rif that are really light. Hopefully I haven't gotten one of the bad quality sort.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

caberham posted:

Ziplock the liquid and then put it in a thermos?

I don't think you understand how determined vegetable oil is when it comes to escaping containers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We always used nalgene in a ziplock for oil when I used to backpack, it wasn't 100% but was good enough. The one big caveat is if you're doing a lot of elevation gain you need to do occasional equalization.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I got a job in consulting and will probably be doing a fair bit of travelling - current project includes 4 week-long trips in 4 different countries - so its time to get some proper luggage.

At the moment I'm looking at B&R's U119CX(Commuter carry-on) and U121CXW (International carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/type/carry-on/baseline-commuter-expandable-upright-u119cx
http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline-international-carry-on-expandable-wide-body-upright-u121cxw?p=2

If it was for work only (on a typical fly-in Monday and back Friday schedule) the choice would be easy - 4 shirts, 2 trousers, blazer if I didn't want to wear it on the plane, socks, undies, toiletries and a set of workout clothes would fit into the commuter nicely, but if I'm spending that much on a bag I'd like to use it for holidays too.

As it happens, in a couple of months I'll be going to Scandinavia for 18 days, and I'm wondering if the commuter is too small for that kind of trip. Don't know if its normal or not but I don't keep 17 pairs of underwear so a trip to the laundromat would happen at some point during the trip but I'm not one of those ultralight guys who like doing laundry in the bathroom at the end of each day. Think I could squeeze a couple of pants, a weeks worth of socks, tees, undies, an extra pair of shoes and a pair of slippers, a pullover and a hardshell (marmot precip) in the Commuter?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I got a job in consulting and will probably be doing a fair bit of travelling - current project includes 4 week-long trips in 4 different countries - so its time to get some proper luggage.

At the moment I'm looking at B&R's U119CX(Commuter carry-on) and U121CXW (International carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/type/carry-on/baseline-commuter-expandable-upright-u119cx
http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline-international-carry-on-expandable-wide-body-upright-u121cxw?p=2

If it was for work only (on a typical fly-in Monday and back Friday schedule) the choice would be easy - 4 shirts, 2 trousers, blazer if I didn't want to wear it on the plane, socks, undies, toiletries and a set of workout clothes would fit into the commuter nicely, but if I'm spending that much on a bag I'd like to use it for holidays too.

As it happens, in a couple of months I'll be going to Scandinavia for 18 days, and I'm wondering if the commuter is too small for that kind of trip. Don't know if its normal or not but I don't keep 17 pairs of underwear so a trip to the laundromat would happen at some point during the trip but I'm not one of those ultralight guys who like doing laundry in the bathroom at the end of each day. Think I could squeeze a couple of pants, a weeks worth of socks, tees, undies, an extra pair of shoes and a pair of slippers, a pullover and a hardshell (marmot precip) in the Commuter?

I got a baseline domestic when I started my new gig with a bunch of travel and it's been fantastic - best money I spent. Use it almost exclusively as a carry on too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought the 20" Travelpro FlightCrew 4, their rollaboard for flight attendants. It was just a little smaller than I liked.

I sold it at a $60 loss to a friend and bought the 22" model. I'm super happy with it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I tend to aim to pack into a carry on bag a weeks worth of clothing and then aim to do a wash around every week or 9-10 days if I stretch/pack very efficiently/aren't staying in a tropical area where I sweat a lot.

I also tend to book Airbnbs which often have a washing machine that makes life a lot easier. I can wash and hang clothes during the day when I'm out rather than finding a laundromat and sitting at one for a couple of hours.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to splurge, get a rimowa. Amazing wheels, lifetime warranty, and durability

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're just using cooking oil as a non-stick coating, a half size can of PAM does a great job.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Hadlock posted:

If you're just using cooking oil as a non-stick coating, a half size can of PAM does a great job.

Call me a hipster if you want, but I use lard to grease my luggage these days. Sure it has a stronger smell, but it's all natural and I'm supporting local farmers by buying it at the farmer's market. Works great for me on both hard and soft sided bags. They come shooting down the baggage claim carousel without sticking.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

rhombus posted:

Call me a hipster if you want, but I use lard to grease my luggage these days. Sure it has a stronger smell, but it's all natural and I'm supporting local farmers by buying it at the farmer's market. Works great for me on both hard and soft sided bags. They come shooting down the baggage claim carousel without sticking.

I really hope this is a joke, as I've literally never seen a bag get stuck in the baggage claim carousel. Even if that was a thing that ever happened, your entire outside of the bag is the grossest solution in search of a problem I've ever heard. It's like one of those life hacks "use a piece of bacon to keep your toothbrush from falling into the sink".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saladman posted:

I really hope this is a joke, as I've literally never seen a bag get stuck in the baggage claim carousel. Even if that was a thing that ever happened, your entire outside of the bag is the grossest solution in search of a problem I've ever heard. It's like one of those life hacks "use a piece of bacon to keep your toothbrush from falling into the sink".

I was about to lambast you for being a total loving moron but then I remembered it was 2017 and antivax, homeopathy and Trump are things and so who knows what people do anymore.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I had a pair of leather work gloves that got "treated" with liquid pig fat when we were roasting a pig. Got to say that they were both very supple and soft and surprisingly waterproof.

Predictably, a dog got a hold of them and chewed them to pieces.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I was airport security or a luggage handler I'd probably call in an biohazard alert on that.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

I was about to lambast you for being a total loving moron but then I remembered it was 2017 and antivax, homeopathy and Trump are things and so who knows what people do anymore.

Maybe I've spent too much time reading about people's lifehacks, which are almost always retarded ways to save 10 cents on having a jury-rigged piece of poo poo instead of an actual solution.

Like I can only imagine the vast majority, if not all of these, are intended to be serious: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/100-life-hacks-that-make-life-easier.html

"Doritos are great for kindling if you can't find any", yeah for all those times you've been camping and you've had doritos but no sticks, grasses, logs, cardboard lighter fluid, or charcoal ???. God drat. Unrolling the lid of a paper condiment holder to "increase capacity". "How to fold a fitted bedsheet" as if learning how to fold laundry properly is a lifehack.

I'd love to see the houses of people that actually do this poo poo, I bet they look like that mentally ill French Canadian goon's cooking YouTube videos, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.
Edit: Masaokis, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 19, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I spend a fair bit of time in random campsites and sometimes you just don't have anything to use as kindling. Never really used Doritos but I can definitely see a time when I'll end up using them.

But bringing a bag of corn chips specifically to light a fire is dumb as hell.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Outrail posted:

Calories you can burn two different ways? I don't see how this is bad at all.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey, so, my wife is about to spend a month working in western Thailand. She's never traveled abroad before, so I'm looking into getting some essentials for her... I have no idea where to start though. Any recommendations for things she'll absolutely want to have?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If she's in the city probably not much because you can buy lots of household things everywhere.

Maybe tampons and random junk food like Reese if she's going to a smaller city or town. How's internet shopping in Thailand?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I spend a fair bit of time in random campsites and sometimes you just don't have anything to use as kindling. Never really used Doritos but I can definitely see a time when I'll end up using them.

Like, where are you camping where there's fuel for a fire but nothing one can break up to start the fire?

And to be fussy, Doritos would be tinder, not kindling.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If everything is damp, yeah Doritos would be useful. Also if you don't have a hatchet cutting up blocks is a pita.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm going to Argentina this November for three weeks and need to get some shoes and a backpack. I'll be spending some time in Buenos Aires, Iguazu, and Patagonia so need a shoe that can cover hiking and walking around the city (I'll be bringing smart leather shoes for evenings out in BA).

I want to avoid bulky hiking shoes, I prefer to wear something lightweight, so was thinking about 'trail shoes' - something like the inov8 Roclite 282 or the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Any thoughts on these types of shoes, or other recommendations?

As for backpacks I need something that I can use as a daypack while travelling but also back home for commuting - so something about 20 litres, fairly plain with a laptop sleeve. There's a million backpacks that fit this description so any recommendations would be great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We've used tortilla chips, peanuts and probably other oily foods to start fires before in Texas. Everything is typically dry as poo poo, except when it isn't, which usually means a giant squall line just rolled through and dumped 3" of rain on everything in half an hour.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I'm taking my first trip by myself across the country to San Diego in about a week. What's a good gps app to use for the iPhone? I would have asked in the CA megathread but it didn't seem as focused on travel related info.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm taking my first trip by myself across the country to San Diego in about a week. What's a good gps app to use for the iPhone? I would have asked in the CA megathread but it didn't seem as focused on travel related info.

I used Google Maps and Waze when I had to drive from LA (John Wayne in Santa Ana) down to San Diego to get some Green Flash. It was fine, we even took the scenic route there. While in US major cities and interstate/free ways I find most of these apps fine, it's only when you get international do things get dicey.

EDIT: VVV I assumed flying to San Diego. If you are driving that's a different story and I'd get a paper map of the country as a backup

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 7, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm not sure where you're coming from but if you intend to cross deserts to get there, the reception could get spotty. Personally I try to have some kind of notes or maps on paper so if the reception cuts out or the phone dies I have something.

I once had a Garmin. It worked fine but when I went LA to SD, it forgot the 5 existed because of pirated map updates my dad tried to put in, so it was useless I had to fall back on the paper and what I had memorized.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You can download entire states worth of google maps data to your phone, it's like 2-400mb. The GPS should work any where in the continental US.

Scource: I just drove through several states, and in some cases didn't have reception for hours at a time, but Google maps worked fine because I downloaded the data.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I'm not sure where you're coming from but if you intend to cross deserts to get there, the reception could get spotty.

If you just have a compass you really can't get too lost on the way to CA once you hit the desert. Like there are not a lot of roads to pick from.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
GPS does not need cell phone reception to work, so long as you've pre-downloaded the maps. Also if you're taking the freeways to get there you don't need a paper map as a backup since basically the instructions will be (a) follow the interstate in the correct cardinal direction until you get to San Diego. Possibly: change one time.

If you're taking state highways or backroutes it's a little different and you might want to do the most basic modicum of preparation, depending on which routes you're taking. Still, you're unlikely to ever be more than like a 30 minute drive from a gas station / rest stop unless you're coming from somewhere really out of the way or taking really bizarre routes, it's not like you'll be driving through Namibia or Western Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dude is going to get lost as poo poo on an interstate. Won't even know there's something wrong until he hits the Darian Gap.

• Locked thread