Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For the record if anyone was curious, opening the event's cache on an alt gives the first day's cosmetics again. So you can get all the stuff on one character and half on another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Sweet, been waiting for this game to go free to play. Time to add another discord to my list.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

cWhat was the way to change from mouse look or whatever you call the default control scheme?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If anybody has too much aurum and doesn't know what to spend it on, stealth hoverboard is incredibly useful and normal jump on the spot is a kickflip :D

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

NLJP posted:

cWhat was the way to change from mouse look or whatever you call the default control scheme?

In TSW it was the T key. I don't think you can in SWL.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Change to what?

Alt brings up your cursor, but the game is now about reticule targeting and that's always going to involve mouselook.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Sekenr posted:

If anybody has too much aurum and doesn't know what to spend it on, stealth hoverboard is incredibly useful and normal jump on the spot is a kickflip :D

What does the hover board actually do? Does it stealth you when you sprint past normal enemies?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey as a new player, what should I prioritize spending marks on? I want a 3pip green weapon, faster sprint, and maybe changing up from hammer/blade to hammer/shotgun. Anything else I need?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I spent money on sprint without regret because it's universally useful no matter what I'm running.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
How hard is it to get a new weapon if you don't like the one you started with? Shotgun isn't doing it for me.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Double Plus Undead posted:

How hard is it to get a new weapon if you don't like the one you started with? Shotgun isn't doing it for me.

If you're fresh to the game it's a hassle since you have to unlock the skill page to use the weapon.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You can get a 3-pip standard weapon with a good suffix (efficiency if you have an elite you want to use all the time, energy if not) for about 900-1000 MoF on the Auction House. You can get that from finishing a couple of the daily objectives on the Shift+J list.

e: Oh, yeah, folks who didn't play the old version of the game have to unlock new weapons. I remember hearing it's like 25k MoF for your first weapon, which you can get with a couple days of daily objectives.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It just looks like 5k to me. So get a 3pip weapon first then get sprint then maybe a new weapon type? And energy is best for hammer tanks?

e: also, what's with suffix/prefix allocation? Are weapons with both rare? Should I pick up a suffix/prefix weapon to get it leveling?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 7, 2017

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Hey as a new player, what should I prioritize spending marks on? I want a 3pip green weapon, faster sprint, and maybe changing up from hammer/blade to hammer/shotgun. Anything else I need?

I suggest prioritizing 3pip everything. You will regret leveling anything but a 3pip item later. I wasted so many MoF's early leveling 1 pip stuff then grinding it into a 3pip item and only getting the base 100xp for it.

I used some of my steam funbux to upgrade to Sprint V, it's worth it I think. Just remember you can use MoF to buy up to Sprint IV. So you can convert the funbux into MoF, then buy it with MoF. If you figure out the math it is probably cheaper than paying the 500 funbux.

Kessel posted:

What does the hover board actually do? Does it stealth you when you sprint past normal enemies?

Referring specifically to the stealthboard; Yah, it has a cloak ability. It used to be really useful in the old game at getting rid of annoying agro as you zoomed through a zone. It may not be as useful now since low level monsters seem to ignore me even if I stand right next to them. I haven't really figured it out. Seems like a cool change if that's the case.

Edit: I don't know if the other hoverboards have the stealth ability. I believe the stealthboard was introduced when people were still kind of leery about the idea of bees using vehicles other than their feet, so they needed a hook.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 7, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kessel posted:

It adds a stealth ability which makes you invisible to enemies 15 seconds or so. At first I thought "eh" but than was surprised how often started using it. Interacting with mission objectives doesnt break stealth.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

TracerM17 posted:

It may not be as useful now since low level monsters seem to ignore me even if I stand right next to them. I haven't really figured it out. Seems like a cool change if that's the case.

Enemies 10 levels or more below you won't aggro automatically. I think they might if you linger around a long time, but unsure if I did something to make that happen.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Inventory/bank space. You'll need lots of it, especially if you intend on playing more than one role.

Double Plus Undead posted:

A bit. 2-3 days worth of dailies to unlock the weapon page for another, and you might end up switching to a weapon you ALSO don't like. Suggest messing with it for a few on an alt before you take the plunge and buy the page.

Sekenr posted:

If anybody has too much aurum
I can guarantee with confidence that this is not a problem anyone has... except the unpunished exploiters, maybe :)

Amante fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 7, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

novaSphere posted:

Turn on Steam Overlay

That was it! So simple and thanks. :tipshat:

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
They changed the cost for your first weapon unlock to 5000 MoF a few patches ago, but it's still 30,000 MoF for the next unlock. That means even a new player can get their third weapon by doing just the first set of dailies, which is good if you are set on two weapons, but the starting classes don't have that particular combination.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

StashAugustine posted:

It just looks like 5k to me. So get a 3pip weapon first then get sprint then maybe a new weapon type? And energy is best for hammer tanks?

e: also, what's with suffix/prefix allocation? Are weapons with both rare? Should I pick up a suffix/prefix weapon to get it leveling?
They drastically reduced the cost of unlocking your first weapon (and you get the actives and passives together now instead of paying for each) so 5k is about right. Weapons don't have prefixes, so I guess you mean the extraordinary stuff with the red icon background - that comes from dungeons or lootboxes and depending on which weapon type you're using, there might be a really good bonus effect (the "extra doppelganger every time you hit 8 paradoxes" thing for chaos is great, for example) that is worth getting early but don't stress on it. The same goes for 3 pip stuff - the differences between 2 and 3 pip are fairly minor early on and certainly don't make much of a difference in Elites 1 & 2. You also get multiple opportunities to switch up to a 3rd pip or extraordinary item as you level your items because whenever you fuse two items to go up a quality level (green to blue for example) you can choose which of those items survives. For example, on the way to getting your 2 pip green to level 20, you find a 3 pip you'd rather use instead - get them both to 20 and put the 2 pip into the 3 pip during fusion and you get a 3 pip blue level 1 to keep forever. This happens again to convert two blues into a purple, two purples into a yellow and (at some distant point) two yellows into a red, so you get a few chances to swap. You can also just straight up buy an item that converts any item to a 3 pip, if you somehow managed to get up to a red without finding a 3 pip.

TracerM17 posted:

I suggest prioritizing 3pip everything. You will regret leveling anything but a 3pip item later. I wasted so many MoF's early leveling 1 pip stuff then grinding it into a 3pip item and only getting the base 100xp for it.
As I said above, you'll likely end up levelling a shitload of 1 pip trash anyway, just for fusion - it's pretty much always a better idea to save stuff you levelled for this than only getting 100 or 250 upgrade xp for it.

Amante posted:

Inventory/bank space. You'll need lots of it, especially if you intend on playing more than one role.
I'm getting by pretty well with only the marks of favour inventory upgrades (so 45 slots) for carrying around two full sets of gear plus a bunch of fusion upgrades in progress, though I do have to take semi-regular breaks for inventory tetris. :v: Haven't bought any bank upgrades.

quote:

A bit. 2-3 days worth of dailies to unlock the weapon page for another, and you might end up switching to a weapon you ALSO don't like. Suggest messing with it for a few on an alt before you take the plunge and buy the page.
This sounds like a pretty good idea but unfortunately if you're a new account you'd be paying 1k aurum for a second character slot - only TSW transfers got 3 slots (and they got all the weapons for free). :smith:

quote:

I can guarantee with confidence that this is not a problem anyone has... except the unpunished exploiters, maybe :)
I have about 4k aurum and that's after buying sprint 5 & 6 on two characters and around 40 or so lootbox keys - the exchange is very much your friend. While 3 pip gear is nice, some of it sells for crazy money on the auction house and that is nicer - yeah, I could have had 5% or 10% higher base stats on some of my gear but instead I've just got the gear to a far higher level using the distillates from caches (these are the real reason to open caches, any costumes, pets and weapons I get usually wind up on the AH). I'm not a 100% free player though, I've been paying for patron which helps immensely.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

Change to what?

Alt brings up your cursor, but the game is now about reticule targeting and that's always going to involve mouselook.

Oh fair enough, thanks.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I'm a legacy transfer (because this game still has its hooks in, god help me) so I don't need to worry about unlocking the pages, just AP/SP and the actual weapon. Might still screw around on an alt anyway, thanks though!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The rest of the Event lore's in Agartha now. 2 are on the mall hub, the rest involve careful jumping and hope you land on the right branch.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You can see the branches on the minimap and line up your fall for most of them.

e: Whoops, thought you were talking about Agartha lore. There's a couple of Whispering Tide lore you can pick up that way.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

You can see the branches on the minimap and line up your fall for most of them.

e: Whoops, thought you were talking about Agartha lore. There's a couple of Whispering Tide lore you can pick up that way.

I've so far gotten all of them but Lore #1 for the event. I've pretty much stage dived off every platform I can on the branches and not sure where I'm missing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've so far gotten all of them but Lore #1 for the event. I've pretty much stage dived off every platform I can on the branches and not sure where I'm missing it.

Do what I did and get the LoreHound add-on because it pops up a message and a way point when you're near a lore

EDIT: Also the tswdb has the coordinates for each in the comments on the page about the event

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's one hidden on the side of one of the portal shell shaped things, on one of the branches below the Venice portal, it was pretty easy to miss.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

There's one hidden on the side of one of the portal shell shaped things, on one of the branches below the Venice portal, it was pretty easy to miss.

That sounds like the one I ran past more times than I care to admit since I was expecting it to be placed like the rest of the lore tokens.

I did install the LoreHound add on. It's not bad, but I need to play with the settings more to get it to pop more visibly for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

That sounds like the one I ran past more times than I care to admit since I was expecting it to be placed like the rest of the lore tokens.

I did install the LoreHound add on. It's not bad, but I need to play with the settings more to get it to pop more visibly for me.

I really like it because most of the lore is placed with the theory that gamers don't look up and it's above you on some random rear end ledge you'd never think to look at.

When I get home I can link a lore waypoint map if you want the two together are pretty choice.

And while I'm talking about waypoints I know someone has every bounty mission marked. Post that poo poo yo.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
My old computer melted and I finally built a new one. About to jump in to this after bouncing off the original Secret World a while back. I'm linking accounts.

What's the current status of builds? Any trap options? My preference would be guns, magic, or a mix. I would like something that will carry me through the plot but I'm not too worried about end game. I'm treating this a single player game that I may occasionally run in to people in.

Thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anything at all will carry you through the plot

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Geburan posted:

I would like something that will carry me through the plot but I'm not too worried about end game. I'm treating this a single player game that I may occasionally run in to people in.

Literally any combination of weapons will do this.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

They made the story dungeons sleepwalkable (and that's honestly a good thing)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

loving p2w system. Just did a Polaris where we wiped three times to Ur Draug because the tank didn't know how to manage aggro or not cleave the party. A DPS in GREENS pulled aggro off him on fight 2. Dude pulled without the healer for fight three.

His gear? All three pips. Mythic head. Purple everything else. Purple Intricate hit glyph. And the rest we're intricate evasions mostly blue but one purple.

I would have assumed that even paying your way to that gear you would know to not face bosses at the DPS. But apparently not.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Len posted:

loving p2w system. Just did a Polaris where we wiped three times to Ur Draug because the tank didn't know how to manage aggro or not cleave the party. A DPS in GREENS pulled aggro off him on fight 2. Dude pulled without the healer for fight three.

His gear? All three pips. Mythic head. Purple everything else. Purple Intricate hit glyph. And the rest we're intricate evasions mostly blue but one purple.

I would have assumed that even paying your way to that gear you would know to not face bosses at the DPS. But apparently not.

How do you sink enough time in to even buy that gear without learning to play? Are people just buying pre-whaled accounts?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

How do you sink enough time in to even buy that gear without learning to play? Are people just buying pre-whaled accounts?

Or has access to a lot of ready spending cash with few bills to pay.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Biggest whale I've seen so far had 550 IP. That's a lot of money.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

M_Sinistrari posted:

Or has access to a lot of ready spending cash with few bills to pay.

But actually getting that gear is a relatively involved process. You can't buy oranges. You can't even buy purples directly. You have to buy caches, buy purples with those, then grind those into purples.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

It's not uncommon for people who don't intend to tank to queue as tank anyway in MMOs to jump queues.

Then of course the runs always go to poo poo. If they even have any aggro gaining skills you're doing well, often they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Literally any combination of weapons will do this.

That's good to hear. Any combos that are especially fun/painful? There seems to be a lot of whining about swords on Reddit.