Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

IIRC those tights in all their variations are ceremonial. If Defenders ever gets there, I could see Matt pulling "I know a guy" at Danny and latter gets green-yellow kevlar or something.

I like that idea a lot.

And they could have fun with it.

"No, Danny, no padding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I like the idea of the Defenders basically having to coach Danny into being a proper super hero.

Complete with snark when Danny suggests Jessica get a proper costume too.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jessica's costume is the sweet smell of bourbon.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Jessica's costume is the sweet smell of bourbon.

And scarred knuckles.

Gotta accessorize!

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It is pretty funny that they didn't aim for a baseline of make sure the fight scenes are great for their martial arts superhero. All the problems with the show would have been more forgivable if they had just hit that obvious point.

I'm quoting this post from months ago because this is exactly how I feel about the Iron Fist series. All I was expecting was good kung fu fights. I didn't get that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

STAC Goat posted:

They definitely should just give Danny the mask.

My hope is that at some point during Defenders he gets real nervous about his identity being public, Jessica and Luke both give him poo poo for it, and then they just take Matt's Iron Fist mask, cut some holes in it, and give it to Danny.

That's a good idea actually. Not real geeked on Defenders. Much more looking forward to DDs3, LKs2 and Punisher. Still think a Moon Knight series would be a great idea though. You could be grounded and weird with it at the same time depending on how mystical you wanted to get with it and how much of that poo poo might just be inside Marc Spector's head because he's a crazy schitzo.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Let Noah Hawley do Moon Knight

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Let Noah Hawley do Moon Knight

Innagaddadavida this is so right it downright hurts! Give him a decent enough budget... <shudders with pleasure>

But, who would Marc be played by?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Tom Mison do a good enough job in Sleepy Hollow to likely sell it all maybe happening in his head?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe we should poo poo on Iron Fist some more. I'm Jonesin' for it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Maybe Iron Fist will be good when the XBone is good?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if Iron first is purposely bad to make sure the rest of the series are seen as really good?

He’s basically Wimp Lo

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I finished Iron Fist and... same opinions as before. The production values are high, the SFX is well done, the fight choreography is good. The acting in general is quite good, and Jones honestly isn't horrible. But, the writing... ugghhh, so cliche, so predictable. People betray Danny and others ally with him, then the allies betray him and the previous guys join him, back and forth 84327 times. Except for Claire, who has appeared on other shows so of course she's a good person. Whenever there was a pause in the dialog, I could guess the next line with 95% certainty. "Doubt leads to..." fear? hesitation? No, of course, "death". Even the 'twist' ending was no surprise.

I'm very cautiously looking forward to Defenders. Most likely it will be good, despite the short length, but you never know, suckage can slip in at any time.

FAKE EDIT: no Stan Lee cameo?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gynovore posted:

the fight choreography is good

https://streamable.com/cmctg

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I do have to admit, although the fighting in general is good, the Inverse Ninja Law was in full effect. Danny can take down ten guys effortlessly, but one guy takes ten minutes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

When directors jump cut *that* much in a fight scene, it's almost always because the actors are unable to pull it off.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gynovore posted:

I do have to admit, although the fighting in general is good, the Inverse Ninja Law was in full effect. Danny can take down ten guys effortlessly, but one guy takes ten minutes.

There was also that time he was easily subdued by just two orderlies at the hospital

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Hey, guess what? Jones is blaming Trump for Iron Fist being not good.

Honest.

Not kidding.

Really.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/finn-jones-latest-dumb-defense-of-iron-fist-its-trumps-1793238288

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Other superheroes, it's like, this rare extra terrestrial mineral renders him powerless, her PTSD causes self-destructive behaviors, his great strength comes with uncontrollable rage.

Iron Fist's weakness is surprise. Take him by surprise and he's powerless.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Hey, guess what? Jones is blaming Trump for Iron Fist being not good.

Honest.

Not kidding.

Really.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/finn-jones-latest-dumb-defense-of-iron-fist-its-trumps-1793238288

His comment wasn't wrong though. DD dealt with the failings of the justice system, JJ was about abuse and trauma and LC dealt with race. Iron Fist is about a rich white kid ditching his responsibilities and obligations so he can go back to being a billionaire.

That's not a story that a lot of people can relate to in this day and age.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kegslayer posted:

His comment wasn't wrong though. DD dealt with the failings of the justice system, JJ was about abuse and trauma and LC dealt with race. Iron Fist is about a rich white kid ditching his responsibilities and obligations so he can go back to being a billionaire.

I dunno. He didn't buy a Ferrari or a gold-plated pen or a gold-plated Ferrari or whatever else it is that billionaires buy. About all he bought was a mediocre suit and one expensive dinner.

And at the very end, he was going to return to K'un L'un, where his money would have been meaningless.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Given a few of the things they said while they were filming it, I agree with the person a while back who said it's irritatingly close to, but not, a show about Buddhist philosophy.

EDIT: Also Scott Buck ran it so they called it a "family drama," because that's what he "does."

Nobby fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 6, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Maybe Iron Fist will be good when the XBone is good?

So... Iron Fist is good now? Amazing. I thought we were gonna poo poo on it because reasons?

Kegslayer posted:

It's true. That doesn't make the show bad if that is in fact what they set out to do.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gynovore posted:

I dunno. He didn't buy a Ferrari or a gold-plated pen or a gold-plated Ferrari or whatever else it is that billionaires buy. About all he bought was a mediocre suit and one expensive dinner.

And at the very end, he was going to return to K'un L'un, where his money would have been meaningless.

He bought a super expensive car and Wing's entire building. And it's implied that he's been having expensive meals for every meal of the day because he doesn't know any other restaurants.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

So... Iron Fist is good now? Amazing. I thought we were gonna poo poo on it because reasons?

Yeah, no. I only said that because of your red text. The only XBone owner I know was back in town the other day and he spent the entire time bitching about how much it crashes on him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. I only said that because of your red text. The only XBone owner I know was back in town the other day and he spent the entire time bitching about how much it crashes on him.

Im sorry about your bad friend.:shobon:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Question, when iron fist came out I thought it was dogshit and only watched two episodes,will he totally poo poo up the defender when it comes out?
Cause if the guy who plays him hasn't learned how to act I just won't watch it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

That makes him even worse. This rear end in a top hat is literally just hoarding his wealth instead of spending or productively investing it. Not to mention that he's a billionaire which forces me to ask when are we going to get to see the Cayman or Delaware accounts he almost certainly has adresssed. Beyond selling medicine at cost (gently caress you pension funds who invested in us) he did literally nothing altruistic with his unfathomable wealth throughout the season. Does Rand vote??? Point is that Rand is a very problematic character in 2017.

Batman gets away with it because Batman is an unapologetic rear end in a top hat.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bruce Wayne is also often portrayed as a philanthropist. Danny Rand is just a rich rear end in a top hat who got back into town from his gap year.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

notthegoatseguy posted:

Bruce Wayne is also often portrayed as a philanthropist. Danny Rand is just a rich rear end in a top hat who got back into town from his gap year.

He also has intentionally put someone in charge of the day to day who is shown to be both not an incompetent fuckwit and interested in doing good for both the company and city. Which is generally what the comics use Hogarth for, but instead Danny makes one decision and then spends the rest of the show fighting the drug dealing ninjas who have secretly infiltrated his company at the request of the other 50% sharholder who has only been pretending to be dead.

The corporate structure of Rand Inc. makes no goddamn sense in Netflix Iron Fist. Which I guess is fair sense their business actions and policies don't seem to make a lick of sense either.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I'm catching up for Defenders and I've heard so much bad poo poo about Iron Fist that I never touched it. Is it worth watching any part of it? I was thinking maybe, first and last episode? Any particular standouts?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

XboxPants posted:

I'm catching up for Defenders and I've heard so much bad poo poo about Iron Fist that I never touched it. Is it worth watching any part of it? I was thinking maybe, first and last episode? Any particular standouts?

Maybe if someone made a supercut of just the Harold Meachum scenes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Maybe try watching it without Grima Worm-tongue whispering in your ear? That might be cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe try watching it without Grima Worm-tongue whispering in your ear? That might be cool.

:thunk:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It isn't as bad as everyone says but it is my least favourite series

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I liked it a bit more than Luke Cage, but I still definitely preferred Jessica Jones and both seasons of DD

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
A friend of mine remarked that Iron Fist would not be out of place on the ABC channel, and I think that's the best neutral description of it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bunnyofdoom posted:

It isn't as bad as everyone says but it is my least favourite series

it's pretty bad

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I watched every episode except the last one over the course of a weekend. It didn't make my eyes catch on fire but it wasn't super great, it was decent fodder for the roommates and I to complain about and have a good time. I haven't watched the last episode yet because I just don't care about how it ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If your expectation is "anywhere near as good as the other Defenders" then it's pretty bad. As far as TV in general, there are things to enjoy throughout the series; it's just that none of them have the camera pointed at the Iron Fist.