Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jeff G knows what's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Turbo Kid is probably the best film made in Canada in the last (insert embarrassingly long amount of time here).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Turbo Kid is the best Canadian film since The Final Sacrifice, which was previously Canada's only movie.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Command Ant posted:

The movie theaters that aren't dying are the ones that can afford to copy the Alamo Drafthouse. They serve actual meals and beer alongside snacks, have recliners instead of seats, and provide lounges and bars you can hang out in before and after the movie. They have theme nights and play classic and niche movies along with the current releases. They have to make it more of an experience than just walking in, seeing the movie, and leaving, otherwise they really would cease to exist.

They must have stupid expensive ticket prices.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Entropic posted:

The ones around here are the same price as the lovely old style theaters. Ours don't serve meals or have waiters but they have beer on tap, wine and mixed drinks and nicer snacks at the concession stand in addition to the usual movie theater classics. Also, the seats recline and are much more comfortable. There's no reason to go to the lovely old style theaters anymore.

On the rare occasion I do end up at an old theater because it's the only place playing a certain movie, it just seems so sad and outdated. Like, you guys are still doing this, huh? You know it's 2017, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How much are movie prices where people live? Here it's like $12 which makes it rare for us to see movies in the theater because that's almost dinner-out money.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

It's $15 here in CT, but everything here is more expensive than average.

e: oh no, wait. It's $12. I don't know where I got 15 from.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 7, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I pay like $11 in FL or like $8 if it's a non-peak time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The time of my life when I went to the theatres most often was because I lived in a place where it was ungodly hot and humid and the AC was awesome.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Entropic posted:

I think the average is around 12-15 dollars, not counting whatever they charge for food and drinks. That's where they make most of their money, especially now that they're selling more than just popcorn and candy.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, they don't really need to charge a higher ticket price because most of their profit comes from the food and drink.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i just watched turbo kid because you talked abot it in this thread and also posted the review of it and here is my review of it: turbo kid is good have these people made other movies?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Isn't there some wizard math like 4% of weekends and 18% of weekdays and 100% of concessions plus ad fees for promotional cups?

It's something weird like that because Transformers can make a trillion dollars but theaters are dying so the ticket prices are set by Hollywood and they go up but not enough to cover theater costs like IMAX screens and reclining seats and basically a soda is $8 because the theaters are getting shafted by studios and customers.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a 3d ticket is $22.50 here and then popcorn and a drink and a suspiciously small bag of candy is another $20 so going to see a movie costs $45-50 or so after tax

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thats what i paid to see ghost in the shell

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
christ. living in a small town can suck, but i can see a 3d movie and get popcorn/soda for 15 bucks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Dunkirk" was real good, but I agree with whoever in this thread said it wasn't a masterpiece like it was initially reviewed.

But, I didn't see it in IMAX or 70mm or anything like that, so maybe it suffers a lot for that.

Also it cost $9.50 if someone's doing market research or whatever the gently caress started the movie prices discussion.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 7, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I go to the nearby drive in and pay 9 bucks for two movies :smug:

The downside is trying to find a day with two movies you wanna see. Maybe I'll go see Plapes and Valerian, dunno.

http://highway18.com/Coming.htm

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
One theater by me is around $20 because they have restaurant food, a bar, waiter service and recliners.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

violent sex idiot posted:

i just watched turbo kid because you talked abot it in this thread and also posted the review of it and here is my review of it: turbo kid is good have these people made other movies?

Apparently they are making.. a sequel? Oh..

ENDLESS TRASH!!!!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jose Oquendo posted:

christ. living in a small town can suck, but i can see a 3d movie and get popcorn/soda for 15 bucks.

Same.

I still don't go out to the theaters hardly ever though. The last movie I saw in a theater was Get Out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

https://fat.gfycat.com/SpecificOrdinaryLeopard.webm

what are the odds that exploding josh in editing was intentional

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

You guys should get better at smuggling in your own food.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I sneak rum into the theater hidden in my tummy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO if you don't pound brown liquor in the parking lot so you can get through Hollywood's latest necrotic miscarriage.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LMAO if you don't pound brown liquor in the parking lot so you can get through Hollywood's latest necrotic miscarriage.

Wait, people dont?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

hard counter posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/SpecificOrdinaryLeopard.webm

what are the odds that exploding josh in editing was intentional

i think josh is jays friend and thats why he is there and jay edited that one so probably not

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

even scrubs know to bring a flask or two when catching the latest marvel or transformer

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Turbo Kid is the best Canadian film since The Final Sacrifice, which was previously Canada's only movie.

Weirdo posted:

Turbo Kid is probably the best film made in Canada in the last (insert embarrassingly long amount of time here).

look at these tasteless fools who never saw Things.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Was this the first Best of the Worst to use this new intro? I see they have finally excised the last of Jessie from the show.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a bone to pick posted:

I didn't so much see Things as I was visually groped by it.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

RIP Jessi, 19?? - whenever

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

violent sex idiot posted:

i think josh is jays friend and thats why he is there and jay edited that one so probably not

Jessie was in bands - I think? And Josh plays guitar and has some music knowledge; I figured he was a Jessie friend; but idk.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RIP Mike's happiness.

Just kidding, I've seen him smile like that at Jay.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Andro Dunos posted:

RIP Jessi, 19?? - whenever

Would you review movies? I'd review movies. I'd review moves hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Command Ant posted:

The movie theaters that aren't dying are the ones that can afford to copy the Alamo Drafthouse. They serve actual meals and beer alongside snacks, have recliners instead of seats, and provide lounges and bars you can hang out in before and after the movie. They have theme nights and play classic and niche movies along with the current releases. They have to make it more of an experience than just walking in, seeing the movie, and leaving, otherwise they really would cease to exist.

also most people can't afford a giant screen in their house

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Why not just take it in the theater? Is this like an american thing where they do cavity searches for :911:Freedom:911: before they let you in? I'm confused by this talk of smuggling in snacks, you just put your snacks(booze) in a bag and walk in.

I had a look at our local ticket prices and it's turned into a confusing mess since I last went to a regular theater. There's Classic, Normal and Special prices which I have no idea what they mean. Monday-Thursday before 17.00 is slightly cheaper. Other times are more expensive. 3D has it's own pricing. Various theaters(all owned by the same chain) have their own premium things consisting of stuff I couldn't care less about. At the end of it you're paying 10-25€.

Or I could pay 6,50€ for a ticket to the film archive, which in the next two months is showing movies such as: Children of Men, Pulp Fiction, Naked Lunch, Robocop, Total Recall, Hard Boiled and Starship Troopers. So yeah basically mainstream cinemas can suck my balls.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

That's it! Best Canadian movie since Things, a heartwarming tale where a guy brings his pregnant wife into a cabin in Canadian woods to give birth.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I'm not sure where you guys are going, but I saw Logan at a theater in London, Whitechapel for £5 and got popcorn and drink for £4.50 because that's what you do - around $USD12 all up. Pick your days? don't most places have a 'specials' day or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Here is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R1...lb7Yo8b32YCmRtQ

• Locked thread