Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hard posted:

I'm pretty sure every AAA company out there always uses the consoles hardware to their full potential and same generation games that ''seems better'' are mostly happening when first parties release more stable SDK/XDKs. If i remember correctly, during the development of watchdogs, Microsoft released a XDK update where the up-until-now processor exclusively reserved for the kinect could now be used for other purposes. Pretty sure every tech in the AAA dev jumped on this like blood in the water.

e: About FPS games on console. They always will be more popular when comparing to PC considering the lack of complexity, the price point and the general support from first parties. Furthermore, Siege on console is a game where you can do very good even if you take your time and can't aim very well.

Out of curiosity, what causes the downgrades from first reveal to launch like Siege's reveal video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlvYh0h63k

The Watchdogs downgrade makes sense because it was before the console specs were launched, but this trailer was a year after the current gen of consoles launched. Don't you know what you're working with at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CJ posted:

Out of curiosity, what causes the downgrades from first reveal to launch like Siege's reveal video?

The Watchdogs downgrade makes sense because it was before the console specs were launched, but this trailer was a year after the current gen of consoles launched. Don't you know what you're working with at that point?

I'm going to guess that Ubisoft Lied, like many companies do at big reveals like that. Seems more like a tech demo than anything.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
stylistic choices so things are more readable in a competitive shooter, has always been my assumption. I know that trailer is kinda infamous but I honestly think most of the changes are for the better, things are a lot less cluttered now.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Let us move the hostage, Hard. I'd actually turn that game mode on and play the poo poo out of it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

CJ posted:

First time I've actually watched this trailer and it looks like dogshit.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

DoctorStrangelove posted:

First time I've actually watched this trailer and it looks like dogshit.

The lovely fake gameplay put me off the game until this year when my friend insisted it was a good game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CJ posted:

The lovely fake gameplay put me off the game until this year when my friend insisted it was a good game.

I was in tears anyone mentioned Havoc for like a month after I saw the presentation. Goddamnit if feels good to be wrong sometimes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CJ posted:

It's often not so much a deliberate downgrade, but rather that very early demos like that are functionally almost separate projects from the intended final product. At that point you usually don't yet have the game just laying about in a playable state and just need to load up the most recent build and record a round or two. Instead, you split off a team and have them slap together something playable to present a vertical slice of what you plan to have, rather than what you actually have. That often involves quite a bit of original work on their part, using placeholder assets and stuff made only for this particular demo. And yes, since a demo is intended to look nice, they often crank up the graphical fidelity as far as feasible when they have no firm idea about the hardware requirements and art direction of the final product yet.

Or, to put it another way, imagine that making a game or another piece of software is like building a house. People tend to imagine that a demo like this is just like going into a room that's already finished and taking a couple of pictures. But in actuality, at that point in time you actually don't have any rooms yet. Hell, you probably only just have a bare framework of the house, if that. So instead you assign a couple of people to go out and essentially build a tiny little miniature house. They'll use the same materials that you use for the main house, follow the same general design, but in the end they more or less make the thing from scratch and it doesn't really have much to do with the main house except from looking sort of similar.

Well, at least that's my general impression of how things tend to work. For all I know some Ubisoft exec might have been giggling his head off while ordering the devs to cut out volumetric lightning because the peasants don't deserve it. :v:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

CJ posted:

Dunno, the shooting looked really accurate to the console gameplay videos posted here before. They must have cheated up some extra ammo tho.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The most unrealistic part is how the team are communicating with each other like human beings. The gently caress do you think you're doing ubisoft?

Jeremy900
Aug 3, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0zlo1D8iI

Why is wall banging such a foreign concept?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Jeremy900 posted:

I have taken random shots through windows and barricades so many times and gotten a headshot or 1 shot kill. I relish these and hope that the individual on the receiving end is super mad and convinced hacks are involved.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jeremy900 posted:

Operator that can mark enemies and see them even through walls? Must be a hack bro.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
A few days ago I was on cams as Valkyrie while opfor pushed into the objective room and died first. I thought for a second that Jackal got me through a window I was unaware of or something, but no. Killcam was Jackal spraying like a potato and missing every shot on his target (Mira) but hitting the plywood wall behind her and doming me right in the head in the corner of the room adjacent to objective. RIP

Jeremy900
Aug 3, 2014
There was a reddit post where he also had a friend vouch for him with a second video but as soon as people started posting in it he removed it.

Deltasquid posted:

A few days ago I was on cams as Valkyrie while opfor pushed into the objective room and died first. I thought for a second that Jackal got me through a window I was unaware of or something, but no. Killcam was Jackal spraying like a potato and missing every shot on his target (Mira) but hitting the plywood wall behind her and doming me right in the head in the corner of the room adjacent to objective. RIP

Yeah Jackal's PDW is insanely accurate. I'm pretty sure it has no vertical recoil and one of the best hipfire spreads in the game. I wish I recorded that same round from the video because the next four kills i got were hipfires.

Jeremy900 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 6, 2017

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Jeremy900 posted:

Looks like someone got rused.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm gonna try to get on tonight around 10pm if I can if anyone will be on the discord.

When should I bother using a shotgun?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ularg posted:

I'm gonna try to get on tonight around 10pm if I can if anyone will be on the discord.

Take the French shotgun. Take it, use it, love it. FBI shotguns are garbage, Frost's is good, haven't used Valk/Cav/Mira/Jackal's enough to know.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Take the French shotgun. Take it, use it, love it. FBI shotguns are garbage, Frost's is good, haven't used Valk/Cav/Mira/Jackal's enough to know.

Hm, I'm curious to know what you think of the SAS shotgun, if you like the GIGN one. I've actually met a reasonable level of success with the semi-auto FBI one, on close-quarters maps like House. I never used to be a huge fan of pump-action ones due to the slow rate of fire. I have been thinking about trying to use shotguns more lately though, and if they're actually decent at incapacitating people from one hit, I might start using them. (But would you really advise taking a shotgun over a P90? Seems hard to believe!)

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Ularg posted:

Shotgun usefulness is pretty situational, generally speaking they are less good than literally everything else in probably over 90% of encounters.

Having said that, they can still be really good, but you need to change how you play in order to make good use of them. You need to pay attention to things like how much of an enemy is exposed and pay attention to range because after a fairly short distance shotguns are effectively useless.

Edit: There are some rooms that are easier to attack or defend with shotguns involved, in casual you don't know what room you're in ahead of time so picking a shotgun is usually a bad idea.

lohli fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 7, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

CJ posted:

E3 demos usually weight more than the final game. I still don't know how WD became the scapegoat like that since companies have been doing this for as long as i can remember. Probably because people were loving hyped over the game? That demo sure was nice.

Quick example that comes to mind is Madden 25.

E3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWVSwEtJQU
Actual gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OryJ4bqq6Ow

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hm, I'm curious to know what you think of the SAS shotgun, if you like the GIGN one. I've actually met a reasonable level of success with the semi-auto FBI one, on close-quarters maps like House. I never used to be a huge fan of pump-action ones due to the slow rate of fire. I have been thinking about trying to use shotguns more lately though, and if they're actually decent at incapacitating people from one hit, I might start using them. (But would you really advise taking a shotgun over a P90? Seems hard to believe!)

When I'm using Smoke or Sledge, I always take the Shotgun and SMG. I'm more wary of taking it with Thatcher/Mute because the MP5K is so good, and I'm godawful with pistols. I also take the revolver when playing a Frenchy, as you need less bullets to kill with it. I used to really hate the pump actions but it always feels like the autos don't do enough damage before I'm killed, if we both notice each other. Most of the time, if you body shot someone with the shotgun at close range, they're at least going DBNO. I don't know damage numbers, I'm just saying what I've noticed in game so take everything with a grain of salt.

Also, the French shotgun sounds amazing.

EDIT: I don't like reposting my own videos but the intro clip to this one shows a good example of the French shotgun doing its thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4M4sv9Ygew

You've got a close range one shot kill, a medium range two shot DBNO, and what I assume is a long range triple shot to just DBNO though I can't be sure since it ended the round.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 7, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

CJ posted:

Man if I tried that shield poo poo a pub would put a bullet in the back of my brain. Or of I was shooting they'd strafe constantly so I couldn't get a shot off.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't come back to this game in a couple years or so, is it too late to jump back in? I'm doing the single player challenges again and wondering how badly I'm screwed

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I haven't come back to this game in a couple years or so, is it too late to jump back in? I'm doing the single player challenges again and wondering how badly I'm screwed

Game hasn't even been out for that long, but you'll be fine anyway.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thank you so much for the games Discord goons.

My ping is all over the place and I don't know why. I played just fine this morning, but even after a router/modem/pc reboot it's just running like crap. I don't know why, only the game and discord are running. I can look at my traffic monitor and have zero traffic going on so it's not like there's some download going in the background.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Truth. I've recently started ditching the MP5 in favour of the shotguns for Doc and Rook and it's hilarious. Particularly as Rook, where you can just absorb their pitiful little bullets with impunity and walk up to them Terminator-style before blasting their face off. Plus you get the revolver along with it, and beaning a guy in the head with that from across the map is a super smug feeling as well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
My shotgun trip report: I used the shotgun for Rook and landed an entire shot into the chest of Sledge and he survived to one-tap me with his own shotgun. He was like 2-3m in front of me.

Also I am really bad at calling out where I got killed from. And I'm just really garbage at knowing where callout locations are or following directions in a timely manner when teammates are cool and help me out. Feels bad.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ularg posted:

My shotgun trip report: I used the shotgun for Rook and landed an entire shot into the chest of Sledge and he survived to one-tap me with his own shotgun. He was like 2-3m in front of me.

SAS shotgun is bullshit in this game. I had people drop me in one shot from across the hallway with it from full health + rook armor.

Orv
May 4, 2011

keyframe posted:

SAS shotgun is bullshit in this game. I had people drop me in one shot from across the hallway with it from full health + rook armor.

Yes, it's good. The French shotgun is unbelievably terrible.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
shotguns rule if you like to sneak around and blast high volume footsteps through your headphones

really any gun rules for that but shotguns are loud and if they aren't they're still cool because you're spetznasty and put a silencer on it

Ularg posted:

Thank you so much for the games Discord goons.

sorry i had to dip out randomly cause some poo poo came up :negative:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Not an issue, I ended up playing plenty of games with goons last night. I just hope to be able to play some more.

I need someone to mentor me on how to be aggressive enough to get kills without being foolish. Cause I either push and die or camp and die later.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Ularg posted:

Not an issue, I ended up playing plenty of games with goons last night. I just hope to be able to play some more.

I need someone to mentor me on how to be aggressive enough to get kills without being foolish. Cause I either push and die or camp and die later.

Hold the angles. That's one of the big things. When you push you expose yourself which doesn't always pay off - especially if you're having network oddities.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Hold the angles. That's one of the big things. When you push you expose yourself which doesn't always pay off - especially if you're having network oddities.

Am I doing something wrong if I'm just in one part of the room swinging my view between any sightlines just waiting for a pixel to cross? It sure doesn't seem like how anyone I know plays. Everyone seems to pull off aggressive roaming or attacking well.

Also, am I bad for liking the Fuse LMG cause that thing is like a laser and after using it in THunt I might try it out in casual.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The people that make roaming work and pull off those flanks that get two or three people have way, way better map knowledge and generally sound knowledge as well. Combined together you can do some really dumb poo poo, but it's mostly just a question of putting in the time to learn it yourself. For starters, just play an angle, though I'd generally recommend a new player do something near the objective but not in it, so it doesn't come down to relying on them. Things like laundry room on Cafe if you're in train or lounge, bathroom on House if you're upstairs, a couple rooms away on Plane. In the vicinity where you can learn to get the firefights down, but also so you can learn a little patience and listening while getting the chance to ambush people for semi-easy kills.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thanks.

I need to give up on Shotguns cause I'm not getting any kills. I could use even that little 250 renown because I'm so close to being able to unlock a new op. I wish I was recording because at 2m I was ADS and pumped 2 SAS shotgun blasts into a guys stomach and no hit reg, no blood splatter.

I'm going on rank 63, you think I should be better at the game by now. 125 hours played.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 7, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I should probably point out that I only use shotguns when I'm dicking around. When it's Sweaty Tryhard time, I stick to rifles and SMGs. MP5 with an ACOG is dope.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Defensive shotguns are more for obj setup IMO.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah, just got my first ace. Even managed to turn around a game where we were 2-5 behind. Behold as pure dumb luck manages to carry me through my inability to lean properly and spot cameras in time: https://streamable.com/hsaa9

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
there are a couple of points where shotguns are legit good as long as you can rely on your team to hold the places with longer sight lines. Or if you're smoke and have a secondary that's practically a primary.

• Locked thread