Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Thanks for the advice! I'm like 4 1/2 hours from St. Louis so I'd be better off seeing of Milwaukee has a show going on before Tinley in mid October.

Gobeldy, that dude was one of the websites that popped constantly on both Arachnoboards and Faunaclassifieds.

I've been leaning towards https://jamiestarantulas.com
if I get impatient and can't wait for NARBC. Dude's shipping prices are great. I think it's like $17.50 for signature 48 hour live guarantee.

Probably biggest question for you Big Centipede, should I bother trying to shoot for a female since they'll live 10-25 years depending on species or play roulette and take my chances on males with a ticking clock of maybe 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm like 4 1/2 hours from St. Louis so I'd be better off seeing of Milwaukee has a show going on before Tinley in mid October.

Gobeldy, that dude was one of the websites that popped constantly on both Arachnoboards and Faunaclassifieds.

I've been leaning towards https://jamiestarantulas.com
if I get impatient and can't wait for NARBC. Dude's shipping prices are great. I think it's like $17.50 for signature 48 hour live guarantee.

Probably biggest question for you Big Centipede, should I bother trying to shoot for a female since they'll live 10-25 years depending on species or play roulette and take my chances on males with a ticking clock of maybe 5 years.

If you want to get a female I suggest getting a couple slings instead of paying a lot more for a guaranteed female. You get the added enjoyment of watching them grow (which can be very slow for some species) and any males you end up with can be traded or sent for breeding loans.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My wife picked up two fat-tailed geckos in December and they crack me up with their personalities; temperamental as cats, I swear.

The male has figured out that the squirmy things in the dish are food but the female still has to be hand-fed because she simply doesn't look down into the dish. Is there a way I can encourage her to feed herself?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Try different prey maybe? I've had trouble with my female Tokay for over a year where most of the time I've had to syringe feed her because she just refused every bug I tried no matter how I tried. Thing is she is captive bred and was eating roaches just fine from breeder, but refused for me.

Then I got my hand on some horn worms... The minute she saw one, she did that classic gecko, "I saw food" head tilt and snatched it from my hand. I then left her with the rest of the caterpillars. She ended up eating I think 8 of them. Also vomited one back up at me because I had the audacity to walk near her tank. She is kinda a bitch and I love her.

A shame they're so drat expensive.

Timat barking at me like usual.
https://youtu.be/4wW_eBUSqyk

I just remembered long ago I mentioned how Buttercup loves blueberries and maybe strawberries. I finally remembered to take a video of that.

Blueberries
https://youtu.be/owkpFF4nnyM

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Cless Alvein posted:

Sewerfest. August 6th; Sturtevant, WI. (It's on the way from Milwaukee to Chicago, mostly).
http://www.sewerfest.com/index.php?link=home

Maybe troll though the vendor list a bit, see if anyone's likely to have what you're looking for.

Friend of mine works at a reptile shop that'll be there, he's always pretty hyped when it rolls around.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
A bunch of superworms apparently escaped the food dish and molted in my leopard gecko's cage, now I have 8 beetles running around in there and I'm not sure how to coax them out.

Any ideas?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ShadowHawk posted:

A bunch of superworms apparently escaped the food dish and molted in my leopard gecko's cage, now I have 8 beetles running around in there and I'm not sure how to coax them out.

Any ideas?

Place a potato slice in to attract them... or you could just leave them. They're a bit crunchy but won't hurt your leo if it eats them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
One of my friends is in the market for a Bearded Dragon. Having both the knowledge that breeders have produced some very pretty animals and the money to purchase one, she is curious as to which breeders can be trusted. So I come to you to ask where that knowledge can be obtained. Thanks!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Desert Bus posted:

One of my friends is in the market for a Bearded Dragon. Having both the knowledge that breeders have produced some very pretty animals and the money to purchase one, she is curious as to which breeders can be trusted. So I come to you to ask where that knowledge can be obtained. Thanks!

I used these guys, super nice and they shipped s soon as payment cleared. Got my dragon the next day, they have some awesome looking ones imo. Atomic Lizard Ranch

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
where would be a good reputable online store to find young dumpy frogs? like half a thumb size.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
One of our two fat-tailed geckos has what looks like a sore on the side of her mouth and I'm wondering if it's something to be concerned about. She really hasn't had an appetite of late but her weight is holding steady so I don't know what to think.

You can see the shiny, inflamed spot just beneath her eye:

I thought I noticed something similar a month ago but dismissed it as some extra shed. Now it seems shiny and enlarged – it would worry me less if she still had her appetite.

Thoughts?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hello Herp thread, I have a question about lizards, more specifically Anoles. I live in Florida, and my back yard is full of Brown Anoles. I have lots of plants so it's basically Anole heaven, have a huge sliding glass door to a screened in porch, and kitchen window to watch them and it's better than any container I could have indoors because they are free to roam and live wild. There are a bunch of really big healthy males that have their own little territories throughout the yard, and they fight and breed and make lots of babies with the females. Currently there are little babies everywhere, one generation replaces the next and the cycle continues. For me and my family they are a joy to watch, and it teaches my son to appreciate nature and living creatures.

I have been thinking about introducing some Green Anoles to the mix since they use to be abundant around here but pretty much got run off by Brown Anoles taking over. I'm not sure exactly why or how it happened, but as a kid I used to see the Greens around a lot, and now it's like a super rare occurrence. I'm assuming if I got some Greens from a pet store they are probably wild to begin with so I would just be returning them to the wild. However, because of the established Browns I'm not sure how well it would go over. Would they get along and live in peace or just try to kill each other? It would be neat to get some Green Anoles back and see them around again, but if it's going to be a death sentence for them I won't bother. Anyone have experience with either breed?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

No experience with the breed in that manner, but from a wildlife conservation standpoint don't do this. Also, yes, they're likely to die, not just from fights either. It's not a good idea to introduce any animal you buy to a new area, you can't really know what has gone on in their life that would affect putting them into the wild.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But it's my understanding that most if not all Anoles in pet stores are wild caught to begin with, all I would be doing is releasing them back into the wild. My main concern is whether or not the brown Anoles will live with them peacefully or try to kill them. Other than that, there is no reason why it wouldn't survive because the Brown Anoles are thriving.

Besides, wouldn't a wild caught Anole have a much better chance of survival being released back into it's natural environment rather than ending up in a cage in some kid's room or as food for something else? I would think the odds of survival would be better tbh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You could intoduce an infectious disease or parasite and wipe them all out. It may also be illegal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good point that I didn't think of. Better than someone just saying it's not a good idea.

[e] I doubt it would be illegal since Green Anoles are indigenous to the area, from what I have read Brown Anoles are the invasive species.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 3, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's not a good idea...for reasons of wildlife conservation and respect for the animal's unknown circumstances, which ParaAsc clearly stated??

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"For reasons of wildlife conservation" is a broad brush though, how does that apply to the situation? I'm not trying to be difficult, it's a serious question.

Also there are animals in far worse circumstances that are released back into the wild all the time (rehab after injury, abuse, etc.), so I don't see how that applies either. If you are implying that the animal may not be wild to begin with, then I would understand the concern.

I do understand the disease and/or parasite concern though, and for that reason alone I wouldn't do it. Thanks leperflesh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The issue is that doing wildlife releases is something for qualified biologists and ecologists, using animals that have known provenance and have been carefully tested for diseases and with a genetic profile that is well understood, done in a controlled way into a well understood environment where they will be carefully monitored and followed. Most species reintroduction attempts have failed and the last two centuries of mucking with ecologies has had a horrifying failure rate often with terrible unforseen/unintended consequences.

I mean people dump their loving pets outside all the time, it's terribly irresponsible, and nobody here really knows you, or if you even know the difference between an indigenous anole and a non-indigenous one, etc. No insult intended there, at all, but: it would be way out of line for anyone to advise some anonymous person on the internet to randomly try messing with the local ecology by doing their own animal releases.

But that's the kind of argument people reject because they're sure they know better. So I'll stick with the easiest answer to explain in a quick internet post, which is that animals in the pet trade - especially wild caught ones - are often in poor condition, carry diseases, etc. and that alone is a great reason to never release them into the wild.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, thanks for the explanation, great discussion. I know it's easier to just say "it's bad don't do it" and speak in general terms, but it's nice to get an explanation without people getting defensive about being questioned. I just wanted a better understanding and got one. No way would I risk the health of the Anole population in my yard, I enjoy them too much :)

Thanks again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ok, thanks for the explanation, great discussion. I know it's easier to just say "it's bad don't do it" and speak in general terms, but it's nice to get an explanation without people getting defensive about being questioned. I just wanted a better understanding and got one. No way would I risk the health of the Anole population in my yard, I enjoy them too much :)

Thanks again.

Sorry, didn't want to do a super long post, but I understood what you meant. Also I didn't see the thread again until just now, so whoops! Glad you got more specifics though.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thanks again.

Beyond the disease issue, if there are any native green anoles left in the area you don't know what you're doing to their gene pool. This is a huge source of contention among conservation biologists, and well-meaning members of the public moving animals without thinking is the reason no-one wants to do detailed studies on stuff like population genetics of gopher tortoises in FL. Hell, if you're in the south-east, and have read about the indigo snake reintroductions onto the nature conservancy property, then you might get an idea about how seriously we take choosing source populations (those indigo snakes are all going to die, it's marginal habitat at best).

Long term studies on the efficacy of controlled releases in herps is lacking (reviewed here, albeit an old paper: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3892626 ), and the best studied ones are gopher tortoises. Turns out, for them to have a chance in the wild you need to pen them for at least 6 months or they have a nasty habit of wandering onto the nearest highway so you have to commit a large amount of resources to the project or it's just an expensive waste of life. Crocodylinaes tend to be the only herp that actually take to reintroductions/relocations/translocations well.

We're thinking about doing some relocations for genetic rescue in my study species, and literally the next year of my life is going to be genetic screening just to decide if we have a good candidate source population to take from. It's a long, slow process.

Unless you're a biologist who works on that specific species don't ever release animals into the wild.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
I live in central FL, and know a few local herpers who make it their mission to eradicate invasives (like brown anoles and Cuban tree frogs) in their yard, to try to make a "safe haven" for the native species. Seems like a futile effort to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the info. I'm actually well aware of the gopher tortoise, the only way to see them around here is at the state parks and there's an isolated island off the coast that has a bunch of them. It seems like there's no way they would survive near any populated areas.

I've done some reading about the Green Anole, and it appears that they have basically moved up into the canopies of trees where the Browns will not go since the Browns have basically taken over everything on the ground. Very interesting read.

http://www.anoleannals.org/2015/06/10/are-brown-anoles-in-florida-really-driving-green-anoles-to-extinction/

So apparently the population is doing ok, you just don't see them because they're way up in the trees.

Samila posted:

I live in central FL, and know a few local herpers who make it their mission to eradicate invasives (like brown anoles and Cuban tree frogs) in their yard, to try to make a "safe haven" for the native species. Seems like a futile effort to me.

By "eradicate" do you mean killing them off? It is a futile effort and it's cruel as well if they are killing them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It tries to counter a real problem tough. The problem is that some of those invasive species require the same parameters as local ones but are much stronger. You see that with plants too, orchids are invasive in NA while we got your lovely golden rods everywhere here, destroying the habitats of local wildlife. If a weaker species flees it's habitat it can push other species out of it's new one.
We see this very well here, wall lizards are slowly taking over territory from the much weaker sand lizards. Wall lizards are less picky when it comes to where they live, to the extent where the rail tracks around Zurich mainstation are home to one of the largest populations. Was always fun watching them when I did civil service and had to mow the railway embankment and keep stone piles free from plants (gently caress brambles).

But yeah I think fighting invasive species is pointless, you wont ever manage to get rid of them. It's time to accept that the shift in climate will lead to these changes and there's little we can do.

Sand lizards are very cute and there are some breeders now so there's even a legal way to obtain them. Never seen any posted here tough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The more I read about it the more it makes sense. Apparently in Cuba, Brown and Green Anoles live in harmony, with Greens populating higher elevations in the trees with the Browns closer to the ground. When Brown Anoles came to FL the Greens naturally migrated to the tree tops, and because people don't see them they assume that the Brown Anoles ran them off and get a bad rap. I honestly don't see a problem with Brown Anoles, yes there are lots of them everywhere around here, but they are also a main source of food for birds and other Herps. They are also not cold tolerant so when we get a cold snap it tends to wipe out a lot of them, and then it takes awhile for the population to get back to normal.

I have noticed the population in my back yard getting much bigger since i installed a new fence a few months ago, it's almost impossible for snakes to get in my yard now, so the only predators they have to worry about are birds. I see them congregating/feeding in the middle of my yard and they would never do that before, they always stayed close to the safety of taller plants and trees or my screened in porch. It's been fun to watch them evolve with my back yard.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I have hornworms coming for my beardie in a few days. I can't wait to see him chow down, he's getting comfortable with me reaching in and feeding him now, but he needs to chase poo poo too.

Chill as gently caress.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Any goons going to the Tucson reptile show? Looking for a female lesser ball myself (since lucys are so loving expensive and I got a nice male lesser already).

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Are you sure you want to risk bug-eyes with a lesser/lesser pairing? Personally I'd get a pastave (since it wouldn't cost much more than a mojave) and cross my fingers for a nice pastel lesser/mojave BEL.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Samila posted:

Are you sure you want to risk bug-eyes with a lesser/lesser pairing? Personally I'd get a pastave (since it wouldn't cost much more than a mojave) and cross my fingers for a nice pastel lesser/mojave BEL.

I've never heard of this, poo poo. Is it like the no spider cross deal?

I've never seen a pastave anywhere. Would a mojave have the same buggy issue?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

It's an issue that comes up sometimes with lesser/lesser (and lesser/butter) pairings. It doesn't always happen, but it's not uncommon. It's not a potentially lethal flaw like spider, but we don't really know if it causes any discomfort or vision problems. (I've heard they can also develop cataracts with age.) I've seen examples that range from mild and barely noticable, to very obvious and severe. Unfortunately since BELs are so desirable, many breeders ignore this flaw.

I haven't heard of it happening when one or both parents are mojave. The downside (?) is that mojave BELs aren't as "clean," especially super mojaves. They tend to have a bit of pattern on the head and an overall purple tint. Personally I think it looks cool, but it may not be what you're looking for. Also not sure if the color fades away with age, like it has with my ivories. Either way, including pastel (or fire/vanilla) in the mix would produce cleaner looking hatchlings.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So, after watching some vids from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqpzaj1kDbo&t=132s

I've been thinking that I may want to pick up a tarantula at the local reptile convention that is coming up next month. What I'm wondering about is; are there any things I should be getting before hand or prepare for, before purchasing one? Also, is that guy, from the youtube channel, correct in saying that "new world" tarantulas are the types I should get for a beginner?

These are the types I am probably looking for at that convention. (only getting one out of this list)

Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - Green Bottle Blue

Avicularia Versicolor - Antilles Pink Toe

Avicularia Diversipes - Amazon Sapphire

Avicularia Purpurea - Purple Pink Toe

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This thread needs more Elmore. This little guy has got serious attitude and I love him for it.

Striking a pose:

Get outta my face, I'm trying to sleep:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This thread needs more Elmore. This little guy has got serious attitude and I love him for it.

Striking a pose:

Get outta my face, I'm trying to sleep:

I see that, and raise you a "scuse me I'm tryna smash"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PathAsc posted:

I see that, and raise you a "scuse me I'm tryna smash"

:hfive:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Agrajag posted:

So, after watching some vids from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqpzaj1kDbo&t=132s

I've been thinking that I may want to pick up a tarantula at the local reptile convention that is coming up next month. What I'm wondering about is; are there any things I should be getting before hand or prepare for, before purchasing one? Also, is that guy, from the youtube channel, correct in saying that "new world" tarantulas are the types I should get for a beginner?

These are the types I am probably looking for at that convention. (only getting one out of this list)

GBB is probably the easiest to take care of on the list. Avics aren't hard persay if you're used to reptiles with humidity requirements, but I'm not much of an expert seeing as I just got my first Ts a couple months ago. Tiny Avicularia/Caribena versicolor and a much bigger Megaphobema robustum (Columbian Giant Red-leg).

If you don't end up seeing something at the show might I recommend https://jamiestarantulas.com

My interactions with Jamie were spectacular and she is the only one I've found that'll still do USPS LAG thus saving a ton on shipping compared to everyone else who require fedex overnight for it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Cless is right a GBB would be the easiest of your list to care for. GBBs are very hardy Ts, but aren't the best for handling as they are pretty skittish.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What would you guys consider a fair price for a GBB?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

What would you guys consider a fair price for a GBB?

That really depends on the size. A 1" sling will probably be $25 - $35. Larger ones will be much more expensive. I suggest starting with a sling. It's fun to watch them grow and their adult colors to come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah online prices seem to be in the $40-60 range right now (if you can find em). So that sounds about right for a show.