Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sarcopenia posted:

Luckily he was a mayor dumbdumb.

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON DUCT TAPE FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

edit: rofl

quote:

When asked what he was doing in the area, Norman said he had an appointment with Spielberg about a screenplay that involved one man raping another man, and that the handcuffs and tape were props.   No screenplay was found in the car

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The irony is he must of been the only person in all of LA that didn't have a screenplay for Spielberg.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Tbh I'm surprised he hadn't written a complete screenplay in which he ties up and rapes Spielberg.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

pookel posted:

Tbh I'm surprised he hadn't written a complete screenplay in which he ties up and rapes Spielberg.

As someone that has a stalker that has written detailed rape ...fanfiction(?)... I have to agree. :[

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

That drat Satyr posted:

As someone that has a stalker that has written detailed rape ...fanfiction(?)... I have to agree. :[

Does this happen to people a lot?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Loose Ifer posted:

I think you'd be (unhappily) surprised. :sigh:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

Unfortunately. I've posted about my... situation in this thread before. There are always crazies out there, and sometimes it just takes a small perceived slight to make someone decide you're an enemy. In my situation I've literally never met the person in my life - they live in California, I live in NC, they found me online. They claim we went to "art college" together and I "raped her in the locker room". It's absolutely loving insane, and she's written about this supposed incident in very explicit detail and frankly if it wasn't me it would be kind of hilarious. I completely crowdfunded the money to go to California and stomp her in court and have a restraining order on her now, but to be honest it's very little in the grand scheme of things. The best I can reckon by the public dispatch logs, she still calls her local police about me all the time, claiming I'm running a massive stalking network leaving notes in her mailbox and such. My only solace is that I've spoken with several people from her local sheriff and they all know she's crazy, so I know I have absolutely nothing to fear.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Aug 3, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Paranoid schizophrenia is kind of a sad, scary thing.

Good thing that it 'only' affects about 1% of the population and receives disproportionately low research funding!

A mildly interesting detail about schizophrenia that not everyone knows is that it is linked, in some weird poorly-understood way, with the use of mind-altering recreational drugs, particularly marijuana. People predisposed to schizophrenia appear to be more likely to be pot smokers, and the onset of full-blown schizophrenic thought patterns has a positive correlation with one's first high. That means that a not-insignificant number of people in the world have turned to weed for relief from stress only to suddenly earnestly believe they're surrounded by conspiracies, gang-stalkers, and hidden forces acting against them. With proper treatment, schizophrenia actually tends to respond pretty well to the wide range of anti-psychotic medicines available, but first you have to convince someone who usually believes the world is out to get to them to take mind-altering medication designed to make that illusion go away. If a schizophrenic breaks the law due to these beliefs and harms someone, a court may mandate psychiatric treatment, but until that point, basically no one can compel treatment anywhere I'm aware of (that's a good thing overall, although California in specific does have an especially weird law where a police officer with no psychiatric training can involuntarily commit someone based purely on a statement of what the officer thinks that person's diagnosis is).

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I had no idea this existed. Huh. The more you know.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Paranoid schizophrenia is kind of a sad, scary thing.

Good thing that it 'only' affects about 1% of the population and receives disproportionately low research funding!

A mildly interesting detail about schizophrenia that not everyone knows is that it is linked, in some weird poorly-understood way, with the use of mind-altering recreational drugs, particularly marijuana. People predisposed to schizophrenia appear to be more likely to be pot smokers, and the onset of full-blown schizophrenic thought patterns has a positive correlation with one's first high. That means that a not-insignificant number of people in the world have turned to weed for relief from stress only to suddenly earnestly believe they're surrounded by conspiracies, gang-stalkers, and hidden forces acting against them. With proper treatment, schizophrenia actually tends to respond pretty well to the wide range of anti-psychotic medicines available, but first you have to convince someone who usually believes the world is out to get to them to take mind-altering medication designed to make that illusion go away. If a schizophrenic breaks the law due to these beliefs and harms someone, a court may mandate psychiatric treatment, but until that point, basically no one can compel treatment anywhere I'm aware of (that's a good thing overall, although California in specific does have an especially weird law where a police officer with no psychiatric training can involuntarily commit someone based purely on a statement of what the officer thinks that person's diagnosis is).

Herbert Mullin a serial killer who claimed he killed to prevent earthquakes.

Also, Brian Wilson (diagnosed schizoaffective) links his first LSD trip as to when he first heard voices.

Which may or may not be. Wilson's memory is shockingly good, but he's always had a tendency to fit his stories to whoever's asking. If WIlson thought an interviewer would be pleased if he said he was really creative with the sandbox under the piano, he'd say just that.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

That drat Satyr posted:

Unfortunately. I've posted about my... situation in this thread before. There are always crazies out there, and sometimes it just takes a small perceived slight to make someone decide you're an enemy. In my situation I've literally never met the person in my life - they live in California, I live in NC, they found me online. They claim we went to "art college" together and I "raped her in the locker room". It's absolutely loving insane, and she's written about this supposed incident in very explicit detail and frankly if it wasn't me it would be kind of hilarious. I completely crowdfunded the money to go to California and stomp her in court and have a restraining order on her now, but to be honest it's very little in the grand scheme of things. The best I can reckon by the public dispatch logs, she still calls her local police about me all the time, claiming I'm running a massive stalking network leaving notes in her mailbox and such. My only solace is that I've spoken with several people from her local sheriff and they all know she's crazy, so I know I have absolutely nothing to fear.

What are her thoughts on Greedo?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

A mildly interesting detail about schizophrenia that not everyone knows is that it is linked, in some weird poorly-understood way, with the use of mind-altering recreational drugs, particularly marijuana. People predisposed to schizophrenia appear to be more likely to be pot smokers, and the onset of full-blown schizophrenic thought patterns has a positive correlation with one's first high. That means that a not-insignificant number of people in the world have turned to weed for relief from stress only to suddenly earnestly believe they're surrounded by conspiracies, gang-stalkers, and hidden forces acting against them.

This exact thing happened to a kid in my college fraternity. He took up weed and instantly turned violent and megalomaniacal. It was scary, to the point we actually called his family to come take him home.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Beerdeer posted:

This exact thing happened to a kid in my college fraternity. He took up weed and instantly turned violent and megalomaniacal. It was scary, to the point we actually called his family to come take him home.

To be clear, paranoid schizophrenics are not typically violent or megalomaniacal. So your friend turning into Ted Bundy overnight is not the same as someone having the onset of schizophrenia triggered by smoking pot. Don't let movies and television fool you into thinking that schizophrenia is the same as psychopathy.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah. Violence stemming from schizophrenic thoughts is possible, but generally people with schizotypical thoughts are usually just scared and irate because their understanding of the world has suddenly grown to include 'there is a massive network of hidden meaning in the world no one else is seeing and/or conspiracies against me'.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

also schizophrenia doesn't even necessarily have to involve conspiracies at all

there was this article about people who were in the prodromal phase of schizophrenia (where the odd beliefs start to take root but the brain doesn't 100% believe in it yet so the person is stuck in a 'I know this can't be true, yet it is what I see' zone), and one of the interviewees (all well-educated and very articulate--the article was primarily about how they managed to arrest the onset of schizophrenia precisely because they recognised the symptoms so early) very lucidly described how he became convinced that everything was made out of matchsticks, which the rational part of his brain was telling him was impossible, yet felt so compelling anyway that it had to be true

e: on second thought the conspiracy part commonly associated with schizophrenia probably comes from other people repeatedly failing to acknowledge the surreal beliefs that have come to take root in the sufferer, or 'this must be a conspiracy because why else would everyone deny something that is so obviously true'

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Aug 4, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One reason conspiracy delusions come up a lot is because a lot of times schizophrenics interpret the voices they're hearing as signals or broadcasts that only they can hear. The ones I worked with never said that their own internal monologue was telling them to do things, it was other voices that were most definitely not the same(at least as they hear them) as their own.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

wikipedia posted:

She told them: “Over there, in the field. They burnt me, they put petrol on me." They immediately took her to a nearby house and roused the residents, Michael and Margaret Coop, to call for an ambulance.[1][5] Michael Coop said: "Both her hands appeared like ash. Her legs were just like raw meat and her feet appeared to be badly charred. I was struck by how polite the victim was. She was constantly thanking my wife for her assistance." Margaret Coop said: "I instinctively went to put my arms around her but she pulled away because she could not bear to be touched. Her head was shaved and there were recent, not new, cuts to her head. Her face was almost featureless. Her hands were red raw and black at the fingertips. Her legs were red from top to bottom. She couldn't bear anything near her legs."[19] Capper drank six glasses of water, but was unable to hold the glass herself because of the injuries to her hands.

Murder of Suzanne Capper

Special cameo in this awful crime: Child’s Play 3.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

teen witch posted:

Murder of Suzanne Capper

Special cameo in this awful crime: Child’s Play 3.

That one always gives me a very physical reaction and the paragraph about how polite she was always gets to me.

Similar and well kown cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresa_Knorr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sylvia_Likens

And lesser known cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Reena_Virk
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/aug/04/socialcare.crime

Hot take. Humans are garbage, trust no one.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

Waiter, send this take back to the kitchen, it's cold and not nearly fresh enough.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I'm sure the book has been mentioned in this thread, but I recommend everyone following it read a copy of The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker, particularly if the thread is getting to you.

Recommended because of the hot take.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I just looked and The Gift of Fear is available free for people with Kindle Unlimited :toot:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sarcopenia posted:

That one always gives me a very physical reaction and the paragraph about how polite she was always gets to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresa_Knorr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sylvia_Likens

And lesser known cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Reena_Virk
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/aug/04/socialcare.crime

Skylar Neese is another one that sticks with me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Skylar_Neese

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bobby Digital posted:

What are her thoughts on Greedo?

He's a pain in the rear end.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
New story from the BBC

Human trafficking, Online human auctions. And an asinine comment by the prosecutor.

BBC posted:

Italian prosecutor Paolo Storari said: "The victim was doped with ketamine - then she was locked in a bag and carried for hours in a car.

"Think what could would have happened if she suffered from asthma."

I don't think asthma is the major concern here buddy.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Waiter, send this take back to the kitchen, it's cold and not nearly fresh enough.
I'm so sorry I'll get chef Knight and sous chef Sagawa right on it!
Yeah it's baffling. Just don't talk to the girl anymore. At least do it for a creepypasta man.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

New story from the BBC

Human trafficking, Online human auctions. And an asinine comment by the prosecutor.

I have asthma and it's weird how much I actually think about that when I hear about/see people gagged in movies or news reports

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Next time you find yourself drinking some Jameson whiskey remember one of it's founders paid 6 fancy handkerchiefs for a 10 year old slave so he could pay to watch a cannibal eat her.

"a real loving creep" posted:

Farran recounted how, at Ribakiba, Jameson had said to him that he was curious about the practice of cannibalism, which he believed was common among the natives. Apparently he was correct, it was relatively common. Jameson wanted to see it being performed and decided to buy a slave for the purpose. He paid six handkerchiefs for 10 year old girl. This detail would later stand out as essentially correct and uncontested.

Along with a group of men he brought her to the cannibals’ hut. Through the interpreter the men were told, “This is a present from a white man, who wishes to see her eaten”.

The girl was tied to a tree, and had her belly gouged twice with a knife. She looked around for assistance from the hostile group surrounding her. The girl remained silent as blood gushed from her abdomen. She was resigned to her fate. When dead from the blood loss, she was cut into pieces by the men who had sharpened their knives nearby.

Farran told how Jameson drew and sketched throughout the entire ordeal. Jameson, he said, later rendered these sketches in 6 delicate watercolours – the girl being led away, the stabbing and gushing blood, the dissection, and the final butchery. Jameson displayed his works to the chiefs for their approval.

Rest of the story here. Interesting to note that not only did he admit it, he defended it.
http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2011/history/jameson-cannibalism/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well not a founder, but one of the later heirs. It'd be difficulty for someone to be old enough to found a Whiskey company in 1780 and still be around to pay to see a girl eaten in 1888.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

In a move no one saw coming, Australian wildlife just became even more dangerous and horrifying. This time it's something in the sea that really likes meat.

Do not get in the water if you like having skin and flesh

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Next time you find yourself drinking some Jameson whiskey remember one of it's founders paid 6 fancy handkerchiefs for a 10 year old slave so he could pay to watch a cannibal eat her.

Rest of the story here. Interesting to note that not only did he admit it, he defended it.
http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2011/history/jameson-cannibalism/

The link you posted said that he denied being the one who caused it or was even interested in seeing it? I mean the fact that he went out of his way to describe all the details to defend himself shows that it probably definitely happened but he didn't say "yeah I did it and it was cool" he was trying to claim "the crazy savages were butchering a girl and I wanted no part of it but stuck around and paid for it cause my guide forced me to" or some poo poo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He told his guide that he didn't believe cannibalism really happened as regular rituals. His guide said give me six handkerchiefs and I can prove you wrong. The guide was not talking poo poo. So even if we take his accord as 100% factual he still guilty of making a bet in very poor taste and failing to do anything to stop someone from getting eaten. Which is still the best possible case scenario.

This all being said the person making the accusation is loving Henry Morton Stanley. A man who was a serial fraud. He also literally participated in genocide and helped to create a slave state.

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 12:08 on Aug 7, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Helith posted:

In a move no one saw coming, Australian wildlife just became even more dangerous and horrifying. This time it's something in the sea that really likes meat.

Do not go to Australia if you like having skin and flesh

ftfy

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Terrible Opinions posted:

He told his guide that he didn't believe cannibalism really happened as regular rituals. His guide said give me six handkerchiefs and I can prove you wrong. The guide was not talking poo poo. So even if we take his accord as 100% factual he still guilty of making a bet in very poor taste and failing to do anything to stop someone from getting eaten. Which is still the best possible case scenario.

This all being said the person making the accusation is loving Henry Morton Stanley. A man who was a serial fraud. He also literally participated in genocide and helped to create a slave state.

It was the translator who made the accusation, not Stanley.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

You'll be happy to know that most of the people involved have been released for at least 2 years, including the woman who seems to be the principal torturer. Her time in prison might also not have been to bad, as she had an affair with the prison governor.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I mean, if it made the difference between life and death, it's kind of a big deal, yeah.

Sarcopenia posted:

Not intended as criticism, but when you said "similar cases" I thought you meant other cases where a murder victim lived long enough to talk to someone before succumbing to horrific injuries. Anyone know of other notable cases like that? I find them really fascinating.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pookel posted:

I mean, if it made the difference between life and death, it's kind of a big deal, yeah.

Not intended as criticism, but when you said "similar cases" I thought you meant other cases where a murder victim lived long enough to talk to someone before succumbing to horrific injuries. Anyone know of other notable cases like that? I find them really fascinating.

Well there's this one. HUGE trigger warning for extremely graphic rape.
http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/burn-them-alive-delhi-gangrape-victims-last-words-100477.html

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the trigger warning and why oh why did I click anyway. gently caress this planet.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I just felt like the actual events that happened were horrific enough without engaging in what if scenarios, it's like the true crime version of gilding the lily. I can see it being a little detail that drives the horror home and maybe gets some people who wouldn't to pay attention though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

pookel posted:

There's Madge Oberholtzer who was held captive by DC Stephenson the Grand Dragon of the Indiana KKK in 1925 after he bullied her into a date after she rejected him and then forced her to drink until she was incapacitated. He raped and tortured her (bit her all over her body, including her back, ankles, tongue, face and breasts) for days and she believed that she would not be helped by the law as the KKK had enormous political power at that time. Weakened by her wounds, which were becoming infected, she managed to get to a drug store and buy some mercuric chloride and swallowed some to commit suicide. As she began vomiting blood, Stephenson returned her to her family. Madge lived for several weeks after giving a signed statement to police, but the combination of her staph infection and the kidney failure caused by the mercuric chloride killed her one month after her ordeal began. The wounds inflicted by Stephenson were so severe that she would have died even without trying to commit suicide.

Madge was correct in believing that the Grand Dragon of the KKK had enormous political power, but his crime against her was so heinous that it basically destroyed the Indiana KKK as people quit in mass numbers. It lost 178,000 members in two years.

As for Stephenson, he was sentenced to life in prison but served 20+ years on and off due to parole violations. By 1953 he was denying that he had ever been in the Klan.

Here is an article about Madge from Smithsonian Magazine: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/murder-wasnt-very-pretty-the-rise-and-fall-of-dc-stephenson-18935042/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There's Madge Oberholtzer who was held captive by DC Stephenson the Grand Dragon of the Indiana KKK in 1925 after he bullied her into a date after she rejected him and then forced her to drink until she was incapacitated. He raped and tortured her (bit her all over her body, including her back, ankles, tongue, face and breasts) for days and she believed that she would not be helped by the law as the KKK had enormous political power at that time. Weakened by her wounds, which were becoming infected, she managed to get to a drug store and buy some mercuric chloride and swallowed some to commit suicide. As she began vomiting blood, Stephenson returned her to her family. Madge lived for several weeks after giving a signed statement to police, but the combination of her staph infection and the kidney failure caused by the mercuric chloride killed her one month after her ordeal began. The wounds inflicted by Stephenson were so severe that she would have died even without trying to commit suicide.

Madge was correct in believing that the Grand Dragon of the KKK had enormous political power, but his crime against her was so heinous that it basically destroyed the Indiana KKK as people quit in mass numbers. It lost 178,000 members in two years.

As for Stephenson, he was sentenced to life in prison but served 20+ years on and off due to parole violations. By 1953 he was denying that he had ever been in the Klan.

Here is an article about Madge from Smithsonian Magazine: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/murder-wasnt-very-pretty-the-rise-and-fall-of-dc-stephenson-18935042/
That's horrifying. It's too bad the article from smithsonian barely glances over the actual crime itself and their drat site is almost unreadable on a mobile device, the thing crashed my phone 5 times while I tried to read it and ads make up like half the page