Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RedSpider posted:

So how long do you think it will take before they remake this with a better cast and director?

As someone else said, the various rights to King's IPs are a tangled mess, but I'd guess like a decade at most? The majority consensus around the DT movie seems to be that it's not horrendously bad, just bland and boring. It's still a viable story with a lot of potential.

Of course, this depends on how the movie does in international markets and what the reception is to the TV show. Also if Sk dies in the next decade or so you can expect a bunch of stuff to get put into production just to capitalize on the inevitable wave of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The director seems like a fan, but what an impatient story. They mix in elements of all the books like they were sure they were never visiting the world again. Dark Tower is meandering, but they didn't need to play it like the "greatest hits". I'm not under the impression that you have to make a straight adaptation for a different medium, but why ignore inherently cinematic elements? Book 1 is like the complete opposite of those stories people say are "unfilmable".

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just saw this and the biggest sin against it is that it's boring 🙁

I'm not even a fan of the books. I got all the way up to book seven and could not be bothered to finish. I will admit to being enraptured with the first 4 I think?

Firstborn posted:

Book 1 is like the complete opposite of those stories people say are "unfilmable".

No kidding they could have just done this. It ends with a sequel hook anyway, iirc.It could have stirred the hype train if it was good. Hell, it could have been a new Lord of the Rings type franchise if they did it right.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 6, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So is the franchise dead before it started? It wasn't a good movie, but apparently neither was the Mummy remake or 3 out of 4 DC superhero movies and from what I can tell those sequels are still going forward.

We're in peak TV so I'd be surprised if no one was interested in the TV property, even if it's ambitions are scaled back.

I haven't been this disappointed in a book-to-movie since the Hitchhikers Guide. But I still wanted a sequel.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It wasn't a good movie, but apparently neither was the Mummy remake or 3 out of 4 DC superhero movies and from what I can tell those sequels are still going forward.

Well I can't speak to The Mummy but people actually went and saw the poo poo DC movies. I doubt the same will be said of this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I'm going to echo similar sentiments. Of the people I went with, one read the first two books, one read none of them and screamed in terror at the IT preview,

We didn't even get the IT preview! I feel super ripped off about this whole thing. Got to see the preview for Mother, the new Annabelle horror movie, some firefighter movie, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and like 3 others that I don't remember. There was seriously almost 30 minutes of previews and none of them were IT.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
At the very least Dark Tower is on track to make back its budget probably. So they might try it again or at least stick to creating the Wizard and Glass tv show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

As someone else said, the various rights to King's IPs are a tangled mess, but I'd guess like a decade at most? The majority consensus around the DT movie seems to be that it's not horrendously bad, just bland and boring. It's still a viable story with a lot of potential.

Of course, this depends on how the movie does in international markets and what the reception is to the TV show. Also if Sk dies in the next decade or so you can expect a bunch of stuff to get put into production just to capitalize on the inevitable wave of attention.

I'm not sure how tangled up those rights are as Hulu is doing a "Castle Rock" TV show that is going to cover a lot of stuff, including the guy who plays Pennywise in the new IT movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Well I can't speak to The Mummy but people actually went and saw the poo poo DC movies. I doubt the same will be said of this.

Mummy made enough that the studio took a $100mil loss and considered it a flop, but thought their approach of Having Stars like Tom Cruise kept it from flopping harder, so they're at least doing one more film but being much more cautious

So far all I can say about this is it made $19mil domestic opening weekend, which was enough for 1st place, but the studio expected minimum $25 so it's still underwhelming even by their panicked "push the reviews off as late as possible to soften the blow" expectations. Deadline said their budget's $66mil so I wouldn't rule out it making it back, but uh boy this is definitely not going to be $80+ mil or anywhere near as big as they expected it to go, or as people expected it to go when Idris and McConaughey were first announced for this

Again, I still fully expect them to do at least a TV season, but if this ever gets a second film (unlikely), that budget is going to be much shorter and I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of the two don't come back

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I did not hear or see any advertising for this at all. Was there much? I had no idea it had finished filming, even.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I saw the odd trailer in the month leading up to release, but otherwise nothing that you wouldn't already be seeking out because an existing interest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I saw a trailer before Baby Driver, and it actually looked pretty sick and had me hyped. Then the reviews came in.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Oddly Dark Tower was advertised heavily on UFC fight nights on TV.

At the theatre for it now and honestly my expectations are at rock bottom so it will probably end up being at least a little enjoyable.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 6, 2017

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Mummy made enough that the studio took a $100mil loss and considered it a flop, but thought their approach of Having Stars like Tom Cruise kept it from flopping harder, so they're at least doing one more film but being much more cautious

So far all I can say about this is it made $19mil domestic opening weekend, which was enough for 1st place, but the studio expected minimum $25 so it's still underwhelming even by their panicked "push the reviews off as late as possible to soften the blow" expectations. Deadline said their budget's $66mil so I wouldn't rule out it making it back, but uh boy this is definitely not going to be $80+ mil or anywhere near as big as they expected it to go, or as people expected it to go when Idris and McConaughey were first announced for this

Again, I still fully expect them to do at least a TV season, but if this ever gets a second film (unlikely), that budget is going to be much shorter and I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of the two don't come back

Wow 19 million? Kinda shocked as I went into a 5 PM showing on a summer friday and there was plenty of seats open in the theater.

I'm mixed on if I want this to continue. If it does, I'm hoping they take Goldsman off the project. I get he's Sony's Go To Guy for summer blockbusters but seriously, did they not learn from Amazing Spider Man 2? I wonder if Guillermo would be willing to take a pay cut for either TV or a shot at a movie now that the Strain is over with. He'd be more at home in Mid World than Arcel.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I did not hear or see any advertising for this at all. Was there much? I had no idea it had finished filming, even.

It had a lot of TV ads in the past month, but no trailers until less than 3 full months before release, and I never once saw a trailer for it in theaters (saw 6 films in that timespan, so it wasn't for lack of trying)

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
But it is better than King Arthur?!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

But it is better than King Arthur?!

Goldsman worked on both

And Transformers

And the upcoming Star Trek show that's exclusive to an app that won't even release all the episodes at once

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

One other thing that might depend on the theater. Did anyone notice that the colors were really muddy and muted, especially during the night scenes? I could barely make anything out during the fight in the dark forest and the night raid in the village.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it certainly was a loving mess. Was actually surprised Matthew Mcconaughey didn't really seem to eat up the roll of Walter as much as I thought he would.

Also, the movie really centres Jake way too much in it so much so that the person I was with thought Jake was the main character of the series after it.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
Did I blink and miss it at the wrong point or was it unclear if Jake's mother was actually 100% for sure dead? There was no body - just a scorch mark - and he was told to stop 'seeing' it before he got to something that looked undeniably like murder from what I saw. The people I saw it with were convinced it was going to be a loose end brought up later or in a sequel.

I'll admit I was bored to tears and might've not been paying attention as well as I could have at that point so maybe this is a dumb question.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

Did I blink and miss it at the wrong point or was it unclear if Jake's mother was actually 100% for sure dead? There was no body - just a scorch mark - and he was told to stop 'seeing' it before he got to something that looked undeniably like murder from what I saw. The people I saw it with were convinced it was going to be a loose end brought up later or in a sequel.

I'll admit I was bored to tears and might've not been paying attention as well as I could have at that point so maybe this is a dumb question.

I think we're supposed to infer that yes she was burned away. I think there was some ashes too, not enough for a body though. Then again PG-13 so maybe "don't keep looking" was their way to skirt around it.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

I figured she was dead, since it serves Jake's call to action, and she really didn't serve any other purpose to the story.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Also, the movie really centres Jake way too much in it so much so that the person I was with thought Jake was the main character of the series after it.

The whole movie felt like an attempt to cut a few superficial elements of the dark tower up and remix it into one of those b-tier YA properties like the mortal instruments or mazerunner.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked Jake. He was the only actor who seemed to be trying. I think he portrayed a kid coming unhinged pretty well.

I really disliked the father/son gunslinger scenes. It's probably my own fault for not watching David Palmer in anything other than AllState commercials, but that voice usually tells me how much I can save on auto insurance. Also that whole part REALLY felt like a TV show and not even a good cable one. It was more Walker Texas Ranger than Westworld. Maybe they were saving the dramatic final battle of the gunslingers for a future flashback.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Seems the consensus is to watch it at home for 3 bucks with beers to dull the pain and skip the theater?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

I liked Jake. He was the only actor who seemed to be trying. I think he portrayed a kid coming unhinged pretty well.

I really disliked the father/son gunslinger scenes. It's probably my own fault for not watching David Palmer in anything other than AllState commercials, but that voice usually tells me how much I can save on auto insurance. Also that whole part REALLY felt like a TV show and not even a good cable one. It was more Walker Texas Ranger than Westworld. Maybe they were saving the dramatic final battle of the gunslingers for a future flashback.

Nah, it's definitely a pretty significant consideration for a character actor like Haysbert to associate himself with a company so strongly that it eventually becomes tougher to see him as anything but a spokesman. I mean, I'd have made the same decision, it's easy consistent money and it's not like Haysbert had money rolling in from acting. But at the same time it means he's entered a different phase of his career where people are going to have to take the Allstate thing into consideration before they cast him.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, lol. That scene felt cheap as hell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I would legit not be surprised if this movie had a $30 million dollar budget.

Just looked it up. 60 million. That’s not terribly bad since 10 million of that probably went to McConaughey. But it’s not good either.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
So the AV Club wrote up a pretty thorough take down, laying the majority of the blame with Akiva Goldsman. My favorite part from the article:

The AV Club posted:

The movies in which he’s had a hand all share a lack of concern for character development outside of screenwriting 101, Save The Cat!-style generalities. He takes whatever genre or format he’s working in and applies the most reductive, easily digestible conflicts and themes, a process film executives may see as making a movie “broadly accessible” but which tends in practice to render them more “toothless and inhuman.”

Pretty much surmises everything that was wrong with The Dark Tower. My friend tried to argue that the themes of fatherly loss were deep and engrossing, while I was gnashing my teeth at the fact of how they turned Roland's Tower obsession into ennui.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Welp I watched it despite all warnings to the contrary. It was unbearably boring. Only enjoyable scene at all was the 2 minutes Roland was in the hospital bed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kaedric posted:

Welp I watched it despite all warnings to the contrary. It was unbearably boring. Only enjoyable scene at all was the 2 minutes Roland was in the hospital bed.

Hah, that was the only scene I liked too.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
This movie was so weird. I'm a big fan of the books (the first four, anyway) and I felt like the movie was openly hostile to general moviegoing audiences and to book fans.

I guess spoilers for the books if you nerds haven't read them.

For the general moviegoing audience, like 75% of the movie was Roland and Walter talking directly into the camera and doing long, boring lore dumps about what's going on. That bit where Walter is like "His guns are forged from the steel of Arthur Eld's sword. I believe the Keystoners call it... Excalibur." It was so loving stupid and bad and cheesy and like "HMM YES YOU KNOW KING ARTHUR AND EXCALIBUR RIGHT HNN HNN". When they first announced the cast I thought Matthew McConaughey was going to be a perfect Walter, but they didn't let him be jolly and giddy about how evil he was. They had to say "He waves his hand and instantly kills people and makes a little girl with a fudgesicle hate her mom for no reason! You have to know he's bad, so we have to put these scenes in the movie! THE DUMMIES IN THE SEATS WONT UNDERSTAND HES THE BAD GUY IF WE DONT DO THIS!!" Like that part where he tells the one Taheen "If you pick a pretty face and you can get away with anything!!" and then later in the movie he uses magic to burn her face, but she's okay, and she just has a burn on her face the rest of the movie. So it's just a stupid pointless thing that happens. The same thing happens to Roland when the movie is trying to establish him as a legendary badass. The lady in the Manni village is like "He is Roland of Eld. Last of the Gunslingers of Gilead," and everybody is like "Oooh poo poo no way," even though at NO POINT in the movie do they give us any reason to know why that's a big deal. Also the thing with the Breakers just being used as batteries to shoot a giant laser at the Dark Tower to literally blow it up was stupid. And Jake being the most psychicest ever kid ever was stupid. The ending showdown was stupid. When Roland and Walter meet in the first book after decades of pursuit, Walter shows him the whole of reality in the petals of a rose at a microscopic level and Roland nearly goes mad and instantly ages like 10 years. In the movie Walter throws some rocks at Roland and Roland shoots them with his gun pow pow.

For fans of the books, I was stunned that there was basically no fanservice at all. Right off the bat I was surprised the first title card of the movie wasn't "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." We didn't get ANY of Roland's backstory - His coming of age, his relationship with his father (beyond "Walter told my dad to die with a magic spell") the relationship with his mother (and more importantly the relationship between Gabriella and Walter), his friends Cuthbert and Alain, his love for Susan - None of it. In the movie he's just a grouch. We got to see the Dixie Pig and Maerlin's Rainbow and the House Demon and Taheen and the Tet Corporation logo at the start of the movie was a treat. Was there a North Central Positronics logo on the Stargates they were using? I forgot to look. Also one thing I loved about Dark Tower as a series is that magic is real, but it's SUPER hard to use and it's also kinda gross and weird. Aside from bringing a man back to life, Walter's magic is boring and mundane. He lights a fire, he conjures a butchered rabbit, whatever. In the movie he's shooting rocks around everywhere and catching bullets out of the air. Then just Stephen King references throughout. Pennywise's Circus in the ruins in the woods. 14-08 was the Stargate phone number back to the Manni village (which they never use, it's just a reference). Photo of the Overlook Hotel on the psychiatrist's desk.

On the positivie side, I loved the scene with Roland in the hospital. I also liked Roland asking "What is this?" and Jake says "It's a hot dog," and Roland says "Savages!" The portal CGI effects looked nice. Also it was only 90 minutes, so it was really bad, but it wasn't bad for very long. I also think Idris Elba did a really good job as Roland. Roland is supposed to be a big, imposing, grim, mean old bastard and Idris Elba is basically that IRL.

The worst part about this movie is I've been a fan of these books since I was a teenager and I've tried to convince my family and friends to read them ever since. Now, the ones who held out are going to go see this awful movie and think "Wow, that was awful. My cousin Sam is a dumbass for liking this garbage."

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 8, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Holy poo poo they really did try to cram elements from all of the books in one movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

samu3lk posted:

it was really bad, but it wasn't bad for very long.

Found the pull quote.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Seems the consensus is to watch it at home for 3 bucks with beers to dull the pain and skip the theater?

I was totally shithoused in the theater and it didn't help a bit.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Indubitable Leg posted:

So the AV Club wrote up a pretty thorough take down, laying the majority of the blame with Akiva Goldsman. My favorite part from the article:

Pretty much surmises everything that was wrong with The Dark Tower. My friend tried to argue that the themes of fatherly loss were deep and engrossing, while I was gnashing my teeth at the fact of how they turned Roland's Tower obsession into ennui.

It's a fair write up of Goldman's questionable filmography but I'd take issue with the continued insistence on ripping into Batman & Robin. That movie deserves some re-evaluation as a camp piece and the gay interpretation of the characters courtesy Schumaker. It's an intentional film, which the usual critiques miss either absently or willfully.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It's a fair write up of Goldman's questionable filmography but I'd take issue with the continued insistence on ripping into Batman & Robin. That movie deserves some re-evaluation as a camp piece and the gay interpretation of the characters courtesy Schumaker. It's an intentional film, which the usual critiques miss either absently or willfully.

Lmao

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The only proper way to re-evaluate Batman & Robin with its zany sound effects, miscast celebrity guest stars, and tongue-in-cheek sight gags is as a big-budget adaption of the 60's-era Adam West television show.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
its lovely garbage made for retards and children but its funny when arnold says cool party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

crime fighting hog posted:

Just skip it entirely (not the beers though).

ZorajitZorajit posted:

holy poo poo this is a hilarious post.

• Locked thread