Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

This dude really liked whatever the flower was giving him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
OK, I know this thread is for critters, and I apologize, and I hope you will forgive me when you see what I've got here. I was down at the pond by my place earlier feeding the stunted bluegill and hanging out with an old friend I hadn't seen in a year. Me, being on the spectrum, never really wandered far from my normal feeding spot since the fish require a consistent spot. My friend is an adventurous woman and while checking deep into the hard to access area abutting the pond she noticed a pink plant in the water. Finding it neat and knowing I keep aquariums with live plants, she pointed it out to me and used a stick to gather some. Now I have it in vases with some snails that will eat any dead plant or animal matter. Anyway, I cannot figure out what it is. I live in Valparaiso, Indiana, which is about an hour and 15mins from Chicago.

We also found this little monster. I think it's a feral cat with a skin infection:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should keep it away from the turtle, you never know what kinds of infections are cross-species contaminant.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You should keep it away from the turtle, you never know what kinds of infections are cross-species contaminant.

That's why god invented condoms.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Critterquest thread: I live in South Florida, and recently discovered (after a power company crew did a bunch of line-clearance tree-cutting in my yard,) a significant beehive in one of my trees. It's pretty high up, probably 12-15ft, but it's external to the tree, instead of in a hollow. I'm worried they might be Africanized honey bees, and I have a (dopey) dog.

So far, I've had no issues, but I'm considering calling a bee keeper. Thoughts?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It never hurts to call your local apiarist. Let the expert(s) help!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Desert Bus posted:

OK, I know this thread is for critters, and I apologize, and I hope you will forgive me when you see what I've got here. I was down at the pond by my place earlier feeding the stunted bluegill and hanging out with an old friend I hadn't seen in a year. Me, being on the spectrum, never really wandered far from my normal feeding spot since the fish require a consistent spot. My friend is an adventurous woman and while checking deep into the hard to access area abutting the pond she noticed a pink plant in the water. Finding it neat and knowing I keep aquariums with live plants, she pointed it out to me and used a stick to gather some. Now I have it in vases with some snails that will eat any dead plant or animal matter. Anyway, I cannot figure out what it is. I live in Valparaiso, Indiana, which is about an hour and 15mins from Chicago.

Looks like Myriophyllum. It can turn red sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriophyllum

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

MrYenko posted:

Critterquest thread: I live in South Florida, and recently discovered (after a power company crew did a bunch of line-clearance tree-cutting in my yard,) a significant beehive in one of my trees. It's pretty high up, probably 12-15ft, but it's external to the tree, instead of in a hollow. I'm worried they might be Africanized honey bees, and I have a (dopey) dog.

So far, I've had no issues, but I'm considering calling a bee keeper. Thoughts?

Definitely just have them removed if you're worried. Here's the Florida Department of Agriculture's website about removing bees from your property, with a list to local apiarists who will come by and remove them for you.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Looks like Myriophyllum. It can turn red sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriophyllum

You appear to be correct. Thanks!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hello little noisy friend!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Cicadas are weird and dopey but I love the wing patterns, like lovely leaded glass windows.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dick Trauma posted:

Cicadas are weird and dopey but I love the wing patterns, like lovely leaded glass windows.

cicadas are ADORABLY weird and dopey.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Lots of cicadas, but how come I never see any healthyadas in this thread?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Red Queen posted:

Lots of cicadas, but how come I never see any healthyadas in this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsZTFSfXaw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have concerns, about tiny robot origami ant things

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
looks good to me. but then im a fan of robots, origami, and ants.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aaaaaaaants in your veeeeeeeeins

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

cicadas are ADORABLY weird and dopey.

Years ago I had to take a trip from here in L.A. to New Jersey. I drove a rental car from the airport to Fort Lee, and since it was hot I had the windows up and the A/C on all the way. When I arrived I parked at the top of the structure and when I got out I was immediately surrounded by a buzzing sound I hadn't heard since I was a child. There were trees all around the structure and I realized they must've been full of cicadas. I stood there and listened for a while, remembering when I was a kid in Oklahoma, the only other place I'd ever encountered cicadas.

I imagine people without that experience must be perplexed by the whole thing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sharing this here since we seem to all like bees a whole bunch:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...time=1502270352

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I went to visit my aunt in Washington DC when I was younger and it just so happened to be during the generational erupting of billions upon billions of cicadas, not the typical ones, but the ones that hibernate for 17 years or so.

The sound was unimaginable. Even in the dead center of the city, even at the Watergate god damned hotel, it bled through the walls. There was no escape, nowhere to flee the eternal drone.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Aaaaaaaants in your veeeeeeeeins

right where i want them

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

I have concerns, about tiny robot origami ant things

we should make ones which can collect material from their surroundings to produce additional robots

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cumslut1895 posted:

we should make ones which can collect material from their surroundings to produce additional robots

Grey goo alpha test lookin' good.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Posting this in honor of the thread title.

Original bird is from here:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

we need to order replacement bird springs again

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Sharing this here since we seem to all like bees a whole bunch:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...time=1502270352

So that's why the bees are dying, they're Zero-summing. :downs:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
One thing I missed from Texas, toads. I loved seeing dozens of 1/2 inch toads hopping all over the place. I loved seeing the occasional fat 8 inch toad plopping along. A toad is a critter that you can easily chase and pick up and not worry about getting bitten. Please keep posting them!

One thing I don't miss from Texas, cicadas. Loud and obnoxious. They're exceptionally bad when I have the rare headache and I just want to sleep it off in silence, but those assholes manage to penetrate house walls with their noise pollution. They leave disgusting molts everywhere that makes a crunch noise when you accidentally step on.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bismuth posted:

Not a picture of mine, but I am really curious if someone can identify what this rodent is. Theres a Washington craigslist ad for a "cute female rat" free to a good home but I've never seen a rodent like this, it looks like something wild. They say "kangaroo rat or pack rat" but it doesn't really look like either of those to me.

I really really want to know what it is!

:swoon: Oh my GOD its so cute!!!

This little fella loves to hang out on our porch every day for some reason. Can never get close enough without him running away.

Over There fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 10, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

Posting this in honor of the thread title.

Original bird is from here:

green heron nooooo :(

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Imperial eggs fixin' to hatch today, also a 10 day old egg next to a fresh this morning egg.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Slo-Tek posted:

Imperial eggs fixin' to hatch today, also a 10 day old egg next to a fresh this morning egg.

what are these?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Over There posted:

what are these?

Eacles imperialis Imperial Moth eggs.

Here is the whole shootin' match from last year https://imgur.com/a/QDp76

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

I thought they were weird Jelly Bellys! :btroll:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That photo album is remarkable. What a crazy-looking, crazy-beautiful bug.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Attenboroughs_D/status/895928485960699905

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Asking for a friend- anyone know what this pretty little guy is?

Isn't it some sort of hawk moth? Spotted in Tulsa, Oklahoma!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Found a critter, may have just been a lifeless husk?:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Those look to be the same exact species, I think? Not sure which, but definitely sphinx moths.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

walnut sphinx moth looks pretty close, although I'm not sure if there are potential confusion species (always possible with brown moths lol)
apparently the caterpillars whistle or squeak if you scare them :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

vaguely posted:

walnut sphinx moth looks pretty close, although I'm not sure if there are potential confusion species (always possible with brown moths lol)
apparently the caterpillars whistle or squeak if you scare them :kimchi:

They do indeed! Beeep!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj-2aiUT6gI