Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Here's something sports related that's pretty amazing.
https://twitter.com/jonbir90/status/893947320554881024

i saw gatlin beat bolt in bolt's last solo race over the weekend

the symbolism of that for track and field is terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah it was a good episode.

Yeah someone over in GIP compared it to the highway of death in the gulf war. And yeah, that is pretty accurate.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
so basically bolt was really good at hiding it I guess

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vertical Lime posted:

i saw gatlin beat bolt in bolt's last solo race over the weekend

the symbolism of that for track and field is terrifying

Business as usual doesn't seem particularly terrifying. Also Bolt probably got around a few tests from some speculative stuff I've read that maybe we shouldn't pay attention to? Or we should and just assume everyone's doping.

I pretty much think everyone's doping.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chris Pratt is super religious. He built a big huge crucifix for easter and posted it on instagram. Do you think Jesus wants to see another cross when he comes back, you idiot?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

My dragon soap opera was v good tonight

Heavy on the dragon light on the soap opera

Hell yeah! Great episode!

I was about to be super pissed if they killed off Drogon. I was like Bronn, noooooooooooo! Why didn't she bring the other 2?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
who cares if someone is super religious is they aren't all Ray Lewis about it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Business as usual doesn't seem particularly terrifying. Also Bolt probably got around a few tests from some speculative stuff I've read that maybe we shouldn't pay attention to? Or we should and just assume everyone's doping.

I pretty much think everyone's doping.

the only source of goodwill is leaving, so yeah it's back to business as usual

any talk of everyone doping leads me back to this

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-all-drug-olympics/n9691?snl=1

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

bad news shadow of mordor fans

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/06/middle-earth-shadow-of-wars-nemesis-system-will-have-microtransactions

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i mean im fine sucking rear end at a game so im not gonna spend money

if i can play SoM on my computer, I should be ablet o play SoW right

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

i mean im fine sucking rear end at a game so im not gonna spend money

if i can play SoM on my computer, I should be ablet o play SoW right

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

weird Asian candy posted:

Hell yeah! Great episode!

I was about to be super pissed if they killed off Drogon. I was like Bronn, noooooooooooo! Why didn't she bring the other 2?

It's bothersome that its better to talk about this show anywhere but the tv forum where apparently nerds compete for the prize of having hated it the most.

This season rules and is only going to get better.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The TVIV threads have some valid criticism buried in there but the way a lot of posters fall all over themselves to be the one who hates the show they watch the most grows thin pretty quick and makes all of it seem like they just want to complain about something. This was the best episode of the season though (mainly because they didn't try to cram too much exposition into it like the first three).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah, you can tell people are really grasping at straws and live to be the ultimate contrarian when they watch that entire Bronn sequence and claim it felt rushed or something silly like that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If I have learned anything from the internet its that no one enjoys a thing less than the fan communities of that thing

TFF is like the sole exception

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, you can tell people are really grasping at straws and live to be the ultimate contrarian when they watch that entire Bronn sequence and claim it felt rushed or something silly like that

my only real complaint is the discrepancy between the size of the CGI army and the actual actors they had which they generally hide by doing at night or stylistically as poo poo like in the battle of the bastards. It was like the battle of blackwater when like only 12 dudes were storming the beach.

other thing that irritated me was the shields looked really bad for the lannister soldiers but that's just me being whiny.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I haven't watched Game of Thrones for 3 or 4 seasons now, but how can they still be having battles and whatnot, haven't they effectively depopulated the continent of 90% of the males 15-65 by now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I haven't watched Game of Thrones for 3 or 4 seasons now, but how can they still be having battles and whatnot, haven't they effectively depopulated the continent of 90% of the males 15-65 by now?

it's only been seven years of war.

It was only starting in WW1 that war started turning into a complete and total meat grinder of young men.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am about to start a fist fight in a faculty meeting.

Pedagogically unsound imbeciles all up in this department

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I have learned anything from the internet its that no one enjoys a thing less than the fan communities of that thing

Ross and the chargers

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Skwirl posted:

it's only been seven years of war.

It was only starting in WW1 that war started turning into a complete and total meat grinder of young men.

I guess, just seemed to me like every few episodes there was some huge battle with armies getting wiped out, and given the state of (fantasy) medieval medicine, I didn't figure the wounded have too great a chance. And now I'm already annoyed with myself for having thoughts of realism in the show with literal dragons flying around.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

I too have seen Major Payne

I loving love this movie.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I guess, just seemed to me like every few episodes there was some huge battle with armies getting wiped out, and given the state of (fantasy) medieval medicine, I didn't figure the wounded have too great a chance. And now I'm already annoyed with myself for having thoughts of realism in the show with literal dragons flying around.

Armies usually break and distentigrate during defeats, that's why there was so much banditry in the river lands.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hate 31 of 32 NFL teams so one might say I hate the NFL :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Looking at some Dolphin twitter's for more background on this Landry stuff.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/894373094617477120

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
After waiting close to 15 years to see a dragon deployed as a weapon on the battlefield, I found last night's episode to be deeply satisfying.

Afterall, isn't that why anyone reads/watches GoT?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

You're 100% correct though. The size, quality, and logistics of the armies are whatever that episode needs them to be. In the first couple seasons, they would often explicitly state the numbers/size of armies. And going by those figures, plus the presumed casualties (even if only like 10% died every battle) there should be much more attrition.

An enormous plot point of the first season was that if Dany could bring the Dothraki to Westeros, they alone would outnumber the entire Westeros forces. Then 6 seasons later Dany shows up with Dothraki plus all the Unsullied, some Greyjoys, ostensibly some other folks, and three grown dragons. Yet until the last episode she was completely thwarted by like 1.75 total Westeros houses.

It is a bad show. Lots of plot holes, terrible acting, dialogue, costumes, CGI, etc. The only reason I watch it is because it's a big cultural affair, and I spend Sundays watching it with friends. Season 1 was pretty good though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^ Right on queue, JD

Diqnol posted:

It's bothersome that its better to talk about this show anywhere but the tv forum where apparently nerds compete for the prize of having hated it the most.

This season rules and is only going to get better.

Yeah, the TVIV thread is mostly a bunch of critic wannabe's who take every opportunity they can to go against the popular opinions. It's a freaking TV show, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

This season has been great and I can't wait to see where it goes. That battle scene was one of the best of the series imo. It is up there with the fight at the wall a few seasons back.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

After waiting close to 15 years to see a dragon deployed as a weapon on the battlefield, I found last night's episode to be deeply satisfying.

Afterall, isn't that why anyone reads/watches GoT?

Same man. Seeing the Dothraki (sp?) come storming in was great, and then to see that giant rear end dragon come swooping in was very much a :stare: moment. I still wonder where the other 2 were? Do they need riders? Jon and Tyrion were right there...ijs...it seems like 3 dragons is game over for anyone. Drogon won that battle on his own for the most part.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a better dragon soap opera that also airs on weekends with a lot more action, it's called Dragon Ball Super :v:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You're 100% correct though. The size, quality, and logistics of the armies are whatever that episode needs them to be. In the first couple seasons, they would often explicitly state the numbers/size of armies. And going by those figures, plus the presumed casualties (even if only like 10% died every battle) there should be much more attrition.

An enormous plot point of the first season was that if Dany could bring the Dothraki to Westeros, they alone would outnumber the entire Westeros forces. Then 6 seasons later Dany shows up with Dothraki plus all the Unsullied, some Greyjoys, ostensibly some other folks, and three grown dragons. Yet until the last episode she was completely thwarted by like 1.75 total Westeros houses.

It is a bad show. Lots of plot holes, terrible acting, dialogue, costumes, CGI, etc. The only reason I watch it is because it's a big cultural affair, and I spend Sundays watching it with friends. Season 1 was pretty good though.

I don't expect the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy genre to be Proust quality but ymmv

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I have never watched or read GoT because if I don't like something or care about something I just don't watch it or pay attention to it god bless

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*watches episode of Walking Dead*

me: "this show is bad. I am not going to watch it anymore"

people not as smart and cool as me: "this show is bad. I am going to religiously watch it and post on forums about it"

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*watches episode of Walking Dead*

me: "this show is bad. I am not going to watch it anymore"

people not as smart and cool as me: "this show is bad. I am going to religiously watch it and post on forums about it"

It only took you an episode? Good for you. I gave it 2.5 seasons before throwing in the towel.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like pretty much every tv show I decide to watch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

people should only enjoy things imho

liking things is cool

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. I also like other things...like football.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
lately I've been tuning into TVLand to enjoy episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens. I like the former better but both are great sitcoms to fall asleep to, after enjoying a few laughs of course

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Football is the best

Football is the worst

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pubic works project posted:

I like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. I also like other things...like football.

yeah but you also like children's cartoons from the 80s so you might have terrible taste or just be Ernest Cline which is like having bad taste but worse

j/k luv u bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah but you also like children's cartoons from the 80s so you might have terrible taste or just be Ernest Cline which is like having bad taste but worse

j/k luv u bro

lmao

• Locked thread