Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
You think Sansa will turn? She seems to be jealous of all her siblings and their cool abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

You think Sansa will turn? She seems to be jealous of all her siblings and their cool abilities

The writers will desperately try and convey that Sansa will betray her family through contrivance and poor characterization in order to wring some cheap drama out of the Winterfell setting, but ultimately she turns her back on Littlefinger and orders his death.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Got to see dragons loving up Lannisters with fire. Good enough for me! Let's keep this plot rolling along here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I think she was more disturbed that the poo poo Arya was talking about re: the Kill List was actually real and not a joke.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

WampaLord posted:

So loving wrong.

It's about the characters, not the choreography.

TV is a audio-visual medium, it's about both.

WampaLord posted:

This is why the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in A New Hope is more exciting than anything from the prequels.

The prequels were bad, just like Arya - Brienne.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think she was more disturbed that the poo poo Arya was talking about re: the Kill List was actually real and not a joke.

Yea, it's this. Last time Sansa saw Arya, she was just her little tomboy sister who daddy let play with a sword sometimes, not a loving sociopathic assassin with a murder list that's the Who's Who of Westeros.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"OMG my sister is a psychopath"

*stands and watches a man get torn apart by dogs, intentionally*

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
"Septa Mordane would have been so disappointed"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

"OMG my sister is a psychopath"

*stands and watches a man get torn apart by dogs, intentionally*

"But I'm so much older and mature and can totally handle it!" - What every teenager thinks about themselves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought the sparring session was fine. I actually dislike it when the show gets too fancy with the fight choreography (because that results in poo poo like the Sand Snakes fight), to me, the ideal fight in the show is the Hound and Brienne beating the poo poo out of each other in the dirt.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Good 14 minute "making of" video covering the loot train attack. Well worth your time. https://youtu.be/pE2wcBeyNdk

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the best moment of Arya's return was her just sitting in the courtyard looking at Winterfell, and the Stark banners. such a satisfying, completely dialogue-free moment

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

lezard_valeth posted:

Top 5 probably.

5 - Winds of Winter - Cause of plots moving, R+L and sept fireworks
4 - This - Cause dragons
3 - Rains of Castamere - Cause holy poo poo
2 - Hardhome - Cause cool zombie poo poo
1 - Baelor - Cause it was the turning point where people went "holy poo poo, I should go buy the books"

Best to worst:

1. Bad poosay
2. First time Ros broke out the girls
3. Ned dies
4. Second time Ros broke out the girls
5. Red Wedding
. . .

60 (tie) Every episode with scenes in Dorne except the bad poosay episode
61. Twenty Good Men
62. King of Gin Alley dies
63. Ros dies
64. Bad poosay

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 7, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You would think the Lannisters would spend less on shield decoration and more on neck protection for their troops. So many throat slashes.

Edit: where were their scouts, they are sat in a valley and never thought to post pickets on that big rise right beside them. Or, I dunno, on one of the mesa. It would have still looked good, scout come charging in: "The sentries report Dothraki to the southwest. Thousands of them!" they get set up and there is tension of them coming over the rise.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 7, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought the sparring session was fine. I actually dislike it when the show gets too fancy with the fight choreography (because that results in poo poo like the Sand Snakes fight), to me, the ideal fight in the show is the Hound and Brienne beating the poo poo out of each other in the dirt.

Hound's fight scenes have pretty much all been great because there's no fancy choreography at all, it's just a big dude with armor and a big loving sword murdering people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hound's going to voluntarily sacrifice himself to a Carice van Houten fire to change the weather or whatever isn't he

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bloom posted:

Hound's fight scenes have pretty much all been great because there's no fancy choreography at all, it's just a big dude with armor and a big loving sword murdering people.

I still think his fight with Beric was one of the best, if not THE best.

His fight with his brother was also awesome, if short

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bloom posted:

i remember someone complaining that the fighting in the show should have been like Spartacus: Blood and Sand and I thought that was an actively bad idea. fighting in this series should be like a drunk-off-his-rear end Hound getting into a deadly bar fight with Polliver and the Tickler

e) i even love that gif of Tyrion swinging an axe at the Blackwater that everyone likes to mock. Battles are grubby, dirty-rear end things, they aren't the glorious spectacles of True Knights that singers love to sing about. that's pretty much a theme in the books as well.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 7, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hold up, would that wagon of gold have been destroyed? Or is that closer to the front of the line?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Matt Zerella posted:

Hold up, would that wagon of gold have been destroyed? Or is that closer to the front of the line?

all the gold is explicitly at kings landing. They burned the food, though, which kind of puts KL in a bad position with winter approaching

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

all the gold is explicitly at kings landing. They burned the food, though, which kind of puts KL in a bad position with winter approaching

Ah ok, I was just thinking that would be a big problem for Cersei if it was destroyed and in the beginning of the episode its with Jamie and Bronn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Matt Zerella posted:

Ah ok, I was just thinking that would be a big problem for cerise if it was destroyed and in the beginning of the episode its with Jamie and Bronn.

it's definitely weird that they kept calling it out because it felt like it was too obvious of a setup for it to all get destroyed. I do think all the spoils of food they were planning to take from the Reach getting roasted is going to be important, though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

She doesn't even give a poo poo that it drive Tommen to suicide. That's a seriously crazy Cersei plot point--her children are the only thing she cares about earlier in the series--and only Jaime even tries to give a poo poo about it.

I'd say she gives more attention to Myrcella in that one dungeon scene than she's given Tommen in the full time since he died, but at this point I think that was just an excuse to torture people.

This is the biggest problem with the writing this season. Everything is 'please assume it happened off screen'. Like... I don't even know where to begin with examples because it is just everything.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

eat the gold

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

kater posted:

This is the biggest problem with the writing this season. Everything is 'please assume it happened off screen'. Like... I don't even know where to begin with examples because it is just everything.

Yet they deliberately say things like "All the gold made it safe!" and people come and post questions asking if the gold made it. The biggest offscreen problem is the teleporting. I get that they don't have time to devote to how long the travel would take, but it would be nice if they framed things somewhat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kinda wonder if like, after Maggy's prophecy actually came true, Cersei is like, "welp, at least I got that poo poo over with"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Dave posted:

Yet they deliberately say things like "All the gold made it safe!" and people come and post questions asking if the gold made it. The biggest offscreen problem is the teleporting. I get that they don't have time to devote to how long the travel would take, but it would be nice if they framed things somewhat.

even then you have people saying "how did they travel that far in just one episode" as if "one episode" was a known, constant length of time

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Sansa is just jealous that her own dark, twisted story since she last saw her siblings had relatively little payoff compared to what she sees in Brann, Jon, and Arya. Sansa is free, back home in Winterfell, and got to see one of her torturers punished, but that was it. Whatever poo poo Brann and Arya have seen and experienced saw them make it back home, but with super powers. Jon is a resurrected Kingadanorf, and savior the wildlings. Sansa is just a girl with a famous last name, whose only purpose is playing caretaker to her much more powerful and useful siblings. No one needs her anymore. She is just a delicate object that her three superpowered siblings will have to protect.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This is literally "tactical realism" but with absolute air and ground superiority through combined-dragon-arms, why would you not focus your close air support on the troop lines themselves and secure the now basically priceless provisions in the baggage train to take back to Dragonstone instead of destroying them?

:psyduck:

Like, maybe the intent was initially just a raid but it's pretty clear it turned into just a complete route and curb-stombing, especially since the next episode teaser implies she's got a bunch of prisoners. Adjust your plans and get that wheat, girl.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
thinking about Bran and it would actually be dramatically ironic if Bran caused LF's downfall, since Bran is pretty much the perfect embodiment of what Littlefinger considers himself to be.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This is literally "tactical realism" but with absolute air and ground superiority through combined-dragon-arms, why would you not focus your close air support on the troop lines themselves and secure the now basically priceless provisions in the baggage train to take back to Dragonstone instead of destroying them?

:psyduck:

Like, maybe the intent was initially just a raid but it's pretty clear it turned into just a complete route and curb-stombing, especially since the next episode teaser implies she's got a bunch of prisoners. Adjust your plans and get that wheat, girl.

Stuntmen are expensive, wagons explode real good.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I might be misremembering but I think at that point the entire Lannister line was engaged with the Dothraki, so Dany would have risked roasting them as well.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So did Dany give Tyrion a ride on her dragon or what?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

So did Dany give Tyrion a ride on her dragon or what?

I'm pretty sure he rode there with the Dothraki.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That was a pretty satisfying episode. I don't think I've ever been so pumped to see a CGI dragon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

canepazzo posted:

Did I miss it, or in all the Sansa meets Bran, Sansa meets Arya, Arya meets Bran reunions no one mention Rickon whatsoever? Poor Rickon.

It's pronounced Dickon and he saved Jaime from a Dothraki this episode :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

lezard_valeth posted:

It's pronounced Dickon and he saved Jaime from a Dothraki this episode :colbert:
It's really sad that he spends all his time in an ill fitting suit of armor because I wanna see those guns. That plate makes him look like Big Bird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Good 14 minute "making of" video covering the loot train attack. Well worth your time. https://youtu.be/pE2wcBeyNdk

This is real cool. I guess I assumed a lot more was CGI.

I mean, holy poo poo, that shot where they light 20 guys on fire.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
:stare: How the gently caress does the fire not burn the poo poo out of the unprotected faces of the dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I actually enjoyed how paranoid Sansa is about the list after Arya has been so evasive about it. She has to be thinking that last time they saw each other she kind of hated her.

I enjoyed the sparring, I do like the gritty style of the hounds fights and the less choreographed stuff, but when its one character who has a distinct style that marks her out as almost otherworldly it kind of adds to the characterisation. Just lots of little details in how Arya moves like how she played with the dagger before handing it to Brienne was good and cool.

• Locked thread