Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

yeah ive been saying we're just 20 years behind japan

also without all the cool poo poo

and without most of the weird poo poo too

give me vending machines and good public transit thx

the japanese mastered ennui in their urban jungle and can only scream at the computer or at the stars. That's why there's "weird poo poo", much like american coastal elites and have already retreated into their own heads, we're headed straight for that trend in the coastal elites. I mean just look at this "corncob" poo poo and tell me that this is normal, because like you have to start applying several layers of thought to deconstruct a freaking corncob at this rate.

ennui does inspire a lot of cool escapist poo poo too. I mean yer gonna want to escape because America is too sprawled out and filled with ferals, swamp men, junkies and bigots in between the vast wide rift of city to city, so they're just going to die out or become nomadic, trawling the vast american oil wastes because Donnie the Trump stripped all of our national parks and put in oil fields, tryin to catch and hunt their food, animals or human stragglers with a flat tire on their way to the big city with jobs jobs jobs.

Once we get that wall up, we will start applying that principle and mentality to our major cities, and conglomerates will consolidate their power on the cities and turn them into client states for an umbrella zaibatsu. Neo New York will be the de facto capital, and America starts its balkanization process shortly after. Bing bong so simple, you will get your good vending machines and public transit because cities only provide for the best people, not the rural ferals that are walled out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/894269801706778626

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Let's talk about who leftists distrust — and why

quote:

I argued last week that while it's very important to get increased representation for women and minorities in political office, it's also important for such candidates to not simply be stalking horses for the (heavily white and male) neoliberal establishment. Focusing on Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), and former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick — all minority candidates being groomed by the centrist Democratic establishment for possible runs at national office — I argued that:

quote:

If the center wants to win over a suspicious left, they can start by clearly explaining their policy orientation, particularly in areas where they might have fallen short by the supposed standards of the modern Democratic Party — which all three of the above candidates have done in various ways. If they want to deepen divisions, they can use cynical accusations of bigotry to try to beat back any leftist challenger.

Many people got really mad about this piece, some essentially accusing me of racism.

So, to clarify the argument, I'll take this suggestion from Greenpeace's Matt Browner Hamlin:

https://twitter.com/mattkbh/status/893082404797206528

If policy and allegiance is equally important to identity, then the actual white male neoliberal establishment is doubly worthless.

Let me emphasize once more that I strongly agree that problems of bigotry in this country must be attacked. There is far too much sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, and so on in the United States. But leftists like myself believe that in addition to traditional civil rights policy, nothing short of a total overhaul of American capitalism will suffice to actually eradicate oppression from our society. Neoliberals like Andrew Cuomo and Joe Biden, by contrast, believe that the capitalist framework only needs minor tweaks.

What is meant by a "total overhaul of capitalism" is debated, but at a minimum it means a very heavy cutback in the wealth and power of the very rich. It means things like a massive increase in taxation, especially on the rich, to pay for huge new welfare programs; heavy new corporate regulations, especially to break up corporate oligopolies and on Wall Street swindlers; and strong economic stimulus to finally fix the Great Recession and bring down appalling unemployment rates among black Americans especially.

So let's examine these three white male neoliberals in turn. Mark Zuckerberg (who has hired Hillary Clinton's pollster) is a flatly ridiculous option for leftists. He's the fifth-richest person in the world. He personifies the opposite of what leftists want. Moreover, there is no reason to think business expertise makes for a good president (see: Trump, Donald).

Andrew Cuomo is a more serious option. He is the governor of New York, and he is an ultra-cynical political snake. He has betrayed left-wing organizations like the Working Families Party, worked behind the scenes to keep Republicans in power of the New York state Senate, and created a public transit crisis in New York City by starving the subway of funding and attention, among many other things.

Joe Biden is unquestionably the most popular politician among this group, cruising on his reputation as America's cool uncle in the Obama White House. But Biden's long record as a United States senator is quite bad in the eyes of leftists. He championed the war on drugs and crime and voted for the Iraq War. Delaware is notorious for serving as basically a corporate tax shelter, and it therefore has gobs of banks and credit card companies. Biden has close ties to both, and therefore sponsored the gruesome 2005 bankruptcy reform bill and 1999 financial deregulation.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/870285134133645312

In short, there is every reason to think that these men will serve more or less as representatives of the ruling class — just as Harris, Booker, Patrick, and any number of other Democratic politicians, of any race or gender, would if they were installed by the establishment. They would have neither the inclination nor the necessary political backing to put through the left-wing policy that would actually get the really excellent social justice goods. Like ObamaCare, any new policy they propose will almost certainly be punched through with so many compromises and handouts to existing stakeholders that it would leave tens of millions of Americans — many if not most of them minorities — out in the cold.

So as we discuss which vision is to predominate the future of the Democratic Party, remember that without a sweeping left-wing program, much bigotry and oppression will remain. White neoliberal men are the last people to trust to understand this. People like Harris and Booker are no doubt more likely to understand, but neither should they be blindly trusted. The history of Democratic Party sellout-ery is simply too long.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/karpmj/status/894558573237338114

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Possibly maligning on the internet about how black people voted wrong in the south and how they just don't know any better. Also your guy is better because he has some b-list rapper phonebanking.

Cool erasure, have you admitted you are racist yet?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Cool article but it's going over a lot of liberal's heads.

look at this dumb gently caress

https://twitter.com/reesetheone1/status/894535432901472256

https://twitter.com/GideonTJones/status/894553557571059712

https://twitter.com/reesetheone1/status/894556414861094913

https://twitter.com/reesetheone1/status/894553453439090688

this is what happens when you buy into white liberal bullshit and sincerely believe the only thing holding black people back is lack of representation in the millionaire class/hollywood movies/comics/video games

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scent of Worf posted:

My favorite take is the one where Cooper is ostensibly being insincere because he wrote about Zuckerberg/Biden/Cuomo second, as a deflection from his first article.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lol

"Black people love capitalism!"
"You sure? *posts hard data proving they don't*"
"Yep!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

My favorite take is the one where Cooper is ostensibly being insincere because he wrote about Zuckerberg/Biden/Cuomo second, as a deflection from his first article.

Yeah honestly that article would not and could not work to diffuse the criticism from the first one.

If your sincere belief is that a person just said something horrifically racist, them following up with "that's not true, look, I also have bad things to say about all these white people" will not change your mind.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any black person that speaks for all black people is full of poo poo.

No demographic is monolithic...

But! If you look at the difference in standard of living between minorities and whites, it's easy to see why we're disillusioned with the status quo.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Frijolero posted:

Any black person that speaks for all black people is full of poo poo.

No demographic is monolithic...

But! If you look at the difference in standard of living between minorities and whites, it's easy to see why we're disillusioned with the status quo.

I make a point of never doing this, but it's something that negroliberals love to do on twitter. they love to erase black leftists and put the entire black population into a small little box for their woke white friends

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Cool erasure, have you admitted you are racist yet?

powercrazy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

negroliberals

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like to imagine that the thought he had during the pause between these two sentences was "what system was it that put them in the hood in the first place?"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

negroliberals

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scent of Worf posted:

I make a point of never doing this, but it's something that negroliberals love to do on twitter. they love to erase black leftists and put the entire black population into a small little box for their woke white friends

lol what

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

liberals are the real racists

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

powercrazy

The truth will set you free.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol this stuff writes itself folks

https://twitter.com/khinman/status/894341369824763904

The bride is a billionaire.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

well I mean attending a Jewish wedding of legit globalist billionaires is a good way to troll the alt right and left at the same time

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

please never give me cause to write "racially charged portmanteau" in a mod note again

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

well I mean attending a Jewish wedding of legit globalist billionaires is a good way to troll the alt right and left at the same time

yes "trolling" for the most epic "of lulz".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Squizzle posted:

please never give me cause to write "racially charged portmanteau" in a mod note again

You hafta admit, it's catchy. Don't let the alt-right spot it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Squizzle posted:

haha

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

You hafta admit, it's catchy. Don't let the alt-right spot it.

they're too busy enjoying the basketball emoji as a totally secret way to be racist.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

yes "trolling" for the most epic "of lulz".

I mean I didn't say I agreed and they're super lovely

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Back to this for a second though

got any sevens posted:

same as us with college

To an even greater extent, though. I guess I'm a huge loving nerd so the examples of Japanese culture I can think of are all nerdy as poo poo, but the main characters are more likely than not to be teenagers. The main characters of American TV shows, movies, games, etc are more likely to be in their 20s or 30s. Even Japanese pop music is performed by teenagers.

As an example, the first Nier game had different main characters in its Japanese and American releases. The American version of Nier was about a dad trying to save his sick daughter, but Japanese gamers don't want to play as adults, so the Japanese version was about a teenager trying to save his sick little sister.

American culture in general does have an outsized fixation on college, but it's not as monomaniacal an obsession as the Japanese one with high school. And the most likely reason for this is that the average Japanese adult life is much more stressful and miserable than the average American life. We've got problems, sure, and plenty of Americans have trouble achieving a healthy work/life balance, but at least the concept of "a healthy work/life balance" actually exists in this country and you're not always under pressure to work 14-hour days.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Frijolero posted:

i didnt know billy was a jew

loquacius posted:

Back to this for a second though

To an even greater extent, though. I guess I'm a huge loving nerd so the examples of Japanese culture I can think of are all nerdy as poo poo, but the main characters are more likely than not to be teenagers. The main characters of American TV shows, movies, games, etc are more likely to be in their 20s or 30s. Even Japanese pop music is performed by teenagers.

As an example, the first Nier game had different main characters in its Japanese and American releases. The American version of Nier was about a dad trying to save his sick daughter, but Japanese gamers don't want to play as adults, so the Japanese version was about a teenager trying to save his sick little sister.

American culture in general does have an outsized fixation on college, but it's not as monomaniacal an obsession as the Japanese one with high school. And the most likely reason for this is that the average Japanese adult life is much more stressful and miserable than the average American life. We've got problems, sure, and plenty of Americans have trouble achieving a healthy work/life balance, but at least the concept of "a healthy work/life balance" actually exists in this country and you're not always under pressure to work 14-hour days.

because our bosses kick us out after 6 hours if business is slow despite us being schedules for 8. also we have lots of opiates to addle our depression

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frijolero posted:

obama was sent an invitation but it got lost in the dead letter bin at the Whore Island post office

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

got any sevens posted:

because our bosses kick us out after 6 hours if business is slow despite us being schedules for 8. also we have lots of opiates to addle our depression

And weed. don't forget weed

Serf
May 5, 2011

Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion > C-SPAM: The goblins nest > The Democrats: Let's Psychoanalyze the Nation of Japan

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Inviting ex presidents to your wedding is kinda a status thing. Like the $50,000 center pieces you put on all 100 tables.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

got any sevens posted:

It's considered respectful for goyim to cover their heads while they are guests at Jewish services. SEE: Trump wearing a yarmulke while visiting the Wailing Wall. It's not #culturalappropriation unless you're wearing a tallis too.

quote:

They have that too tho, for their retail workers. If it's not the one thing it's the other.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Scent of Worf posted:

look at this dumb gently caress

https://twitter.com/reesetheone1/status/894535432901472256

https://twitter.com/GideonTJones/status/894553557571059712

https://twitter.com/reesetheone1/status/894556414861094913

https://twitter.com/reesetheone1/status/894553453439090688

this is what happens when you buy into white liberal bullshit and sincerely believe the only thing holding black people back is lack of representation in the millionaire class/hollywood movies/comics/video games

big assumption here that the ghetto is something to be escaped and can never be improved.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

0 billionaires

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I mean gentrification is capitalism and sort of accomplishes that (by shifting the poor to a new underserved area)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

got any sevens posted:

If you're hourly sure. It's so bad that some states have proposed laws where your boss can't tell you to "make yourself available" just in case they need you to work, and then call you at the last minute and tell you not to bother coming in. If you're a teenager working for some weekend beer money you won't give a poo poo, but when your 30 and need to schedule a babysitter only to cancel at the last minute, that poo poo is hosed up.

If you're salaried (and especially exempt from overtime) don't even think of leaving before the clock strikes 5. Sit at your desk and stare at a blank screen if your have too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Serf posted:

Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion > C-SPAM: The goblins nest > The Democrats: Let's Psychoanalyze the Nation of Japan

using the dragon zord as a principal lens into the japanese culture, i

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Squizzle posted:

using the dragon zord as a principal lens into the japanese culture, i

...will invest all my money in smokestack bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lastgirl posted:

the japanese mastered ennui in their urban jungle and can only scream at the computer or at the stars.

No they scream into their screaming vases you doofus

• Locked thread