Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And is also a myth.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-fiction-glass-liquid/

quote:

A mathematical model shows it would take longer than the universe has existed for room temperature cathedral glass to rearrange itself to appear melted.

Why old European glass is thicker at one end probably depends on how the glass was made. At that time, glassblowers created glass cylinders that were then flattened to make panes of glass. The resulting pieces may never have been uniformly flat and workers installing the windows preferred, for one reason or another, to put the thicker sides of the pane at the bottom. This gives them a melted look, but does not mean glass is a true liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

And is also a myth.

Oh yeah and I guess the planet Earth being round (well, approximately roundish anyway) is also a myth? :rolleyes: You anti-vaxxers disgust me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

value-brand cereal posted:

Please, what is this referring to? It's on the tip of my tongue, I swear I remember this tomfoolery.

Don't put glass on the tip of your tongue.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HERAK posted:

stayed in similar one in shanghai, and an even more blatant one in beijing.

I've been in one where it was lightly frosted glass instead. Not really what I'm after in bathroom walls.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I hung wallpaper yesterday and trim today. gently caress both activities in hell forever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

timestamp posted:

Aug 6, 2017
:confused:

Did wallpaper come back in style without me noticing? I always figured it was one of those ancient trends people gladly buried, only seen in places that haven't been updated since the 50s.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then you'll love the kitchen floor!

I am currently making an improv quilt (no pattern, just cut and sew at random) and it's a lot like this. Improv tiles. It works better as a quilt I think.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then you'll love the kitchen floor!
Bathroom floor is also what you might call artistic.

Sad that this forgotten genius did all their best work long before pinterest was there to appreciate it.

A mop closet like from a commercial building is something I think I would want in a large home but it's also something I don't think I'll ever see done well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Did wallpaper come back in style without me noticing? I always figured it was one of those ancient trends people gladly buried, only seen in places that haven't been updated since the 50s.

Our whole house and most new houses here are wallpaper on every wall and ceiling :japan: Tough, water-resistant, wipeable, plus all the kawaii patterns and textures. The whole catalog was a uniform $10/sq meter.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Haifisch posted:

It's becoming pretty popular for accent walls.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Haifisch posted:

We have a house built in 1977. The living room and the two downstairs bedrooms both are laid out to have wallpaper hung over particular places on the drywall. Believe me, it's the least worst option.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That lovely house is the most New Mexican piece of real estate I've seen in ages and I live in Albuquerque.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Serious question: have you actually been inside any home except your parents'?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I bet there are plenty of average Americans who have spent their whole lives surrounded by four white drywall walls. It might explain a few things in these threads.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I bet there are plenty of average Americans who have spent their whole lives surrounded by four white drywall walls. It might explain a few things in these threads.

My white walls are lath and plaster, heathen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I bet there are plenty of average Americans who have spent their whole lives surrounded by four white drywall padded walls. It might explain a few things in these threads.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

gently caress that, colorful houses are awesome if you're not a fuckup at colors

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

gently caress that, colorful houses are awesome if you're not a fuckup at colors

I have a "troubling red" room, a "horrible yellow" room, and a "Soviet Soothing Green*" room, plus some auxiliary blue-and-white-striped-wallpaper rooms and I keep meaning to ask the landlord if perhaps they could be updated a bit but then again I can't be arsed to clean my VDU (which is filthy because I bought it from a bar) or properly frame my satans so :shrug:

*) That might not be the official name of the shade of green but it possibly should be.

e: Bonus lovely flower curtains that came with the apartment.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 7, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm a filthy millenial surrounded by other filthy millenials who are mostly too broke to buy houses, so maybe wallpaper just isn't on our collective radar. :shrug:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Or they paint their walls, like literally everyone(who isn't in an apartment that won't let them) around me does. Admitedly it's harder to do fancy patterns with paint, but considering how many godawful wallpaper patterns I've seen in old house photos...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

I'm a filthy snake person surrounded by other filthy snake people who are mostly too broke to buy houses, so maybe wallpaper just isn't on our collective radar. :shrug:

god i love this chrome plugin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

What does it filter into if you spell millennial correctly?

e: I just learned I'm Generation X. Does that mean I have superpowers?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

it really does help take the sting out of being a lost generation

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

What does it filter into if you spell millennial correctly?

e: I just learned I'm Generation X. Does that mean I have superpowers?

You get to be Artie

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Sexual Shiite posted:

You get to be Artie

I don't know what that is.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know what that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSS2l-7e70

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking as someone who is in the process of dewallpapering a house: gently caress wallpaper forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

I will grant the most minor of concessions when I say that modern wallpaper is significantly easier to strip than older stuff. Still a job you'd give to people you don't like, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why does the narrator's voice on this piece of poo poo sound so familiar?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why does the narrator's voice on this piece of poo poo sound so familiar?

Sounds like Billy West to me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wallpaper is the loving worst and nobody ever does it right, just layering it over the last lovely wallpaper, or they don't align it properly, or it's bubbled, or any other number of easy ways to gently caress it up. My grandma's house has a wall with 10 layers of wallpaper on it (It was built in 1864) and aside from the time capsule novelty it's heinous.

We do accent walls in our house, I think they look pretty great. Far superior to the eyesore that is wallpaper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*adds line to things_americans_are_really_weird_about.txt*

e: gently caress too long for Notepad :arghfist:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

http://i.imgur.com/JeVcZIG.mp4

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
A relatively practical Dahir Insaat invention?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Guy Axlerod posted:

It probably folds back up in the event of an earthquake.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but where does the poop go?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

devicenull posted:

I've been in one where it was lightly frosted glass instead. Not really what I'm after in bathroom walls.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the alleged 5 star hotel we stayed in in Beijing had a brothel on site, some very expensive :airquote:massages:airquote: available on the in room menu.

That one had a clear glass wall with a venetian blind above the tub in the bathroom, clearly so you could always keep an eye on your guest, or look out the window while on the shitter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Twinkie Czar posted:

A mop closet like from a commercial building is something I think I would want in a large home but it's also something I don't think I'll ever see done well.

That's the shower though.

Lifehack: use your shower as a mop closet.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'll believe it when I see a video that's not a computer animation

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I'm a filthy millenial surrounded by other filthy millenials who are mostly too broke to buy houses, so maybe wallpaper just isn't on our collective radar. :shrug:

Or they paint their walls, like literally everyone(who isn't in an apartment that won't let them) around me does. Admitedly it's harder to do fancy patterns with paint, but considering how many godawful wallpaper patterns I've seen in old house photos...

Wallpaper is coming back, and you can get some really cool stuff with digital printing. Still kind of expensive, though, which is why I think people are doing the one-wall pop instead of whole rooms. I was debating this monstera print for a while.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GotLag posted:

I'll believe it when I see a video that's not a computer animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDrUPKoBj3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDsH6mwHqE

Though I'm not sure if all the automated hydraulics is even a worthwhile goal. Once you've got the folding working, you can do the assembly with just a couple tall guys. And if you want your building hooked up to outside water and electricity you'll need a couple guys anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fu3J_x2wRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Looks cool but I bet the company name 'Tenfold' refers to the cost of their stuff, compared to existing products on the market.